Options

Every voter should receive a receipt

24567

Posts

  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    aw man stale do you really not believe in the power of voting

    I believe it has the power to effectively make people believe their opinions matter in the least little bit

    Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    air you just said that

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    even though the impact of presidential votes is more or less negligible i still think it is important to maintain political convictions

    Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i too enjoy doing things for the sake of doing things

    Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    that would be so awesome. it'd give me great joy to have someone else legitimately interested in this stuff in the class, because usually it's fucking pathetic.

    for our section on print media, we had to bring in our favorite book or magazine. there were like 23 cosmos and one guy with an indy music magazine, then i stood up and talked about On The Road and The Big Sleep and everybody looked at me like i had tentacles or something.

    Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    what also sucks is my internet for some reason

    i clicked post and it did nothing for 10 minutes and then it said page load error
    refreshed and theres a double post
    the latest one being five minutes ago

    Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    make sure you're not downloading gigabytes of porn

    Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    aw man stale do you really not believe in the power of voting

    I believe it has the power to effectively make people believe their opinions matter in the least little bit

    One vote sure, if you want to feed a low sense of self efficacy.... but someone is going to win - based on votes - and the apathetic really are just taking themselves out of the picture.

    In fact, if you aren't voting, you've become a very delicious target demographic. The army of you putting your weight behind a candidate could swing the election easily, based on voter turnout.

    fadingathedges on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"


    get me a picture of that crook spiderman up his no good shenanigans and maybe i'll let you keep your job, parker.
    that's what i'd yell
    every time fandy came into the classroom.
    god i wish i was in journalism school
    hahaha no i don't

    beavotron on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    that would be so awesome. it'd give me great joy to have someone else legitimately interested in this stuff in the class, because usually it's fucking pathetic.

    for our section on print media, we had to bring in our favorite book or magazine. there were like 23 cosmos and one guy with an indy music magazine, then i stood up and talked about On The Road and The Big Sleep and everybody looked at me like i had tentacles or something.

    that's too bad. I need to find a place with a good Journalism department. I don't know how University of Florida's is and the school i'm in right now has Journalism as a major, but no classes on it. :|

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    aw man stale do you really not believe in the power of voting

    I believe it has the power to effectively make people believe their opinions matter in the least little bit

    One vote sure, if you want to feed a low sense of self efficacy.... but someone is going to win - based on votes - and the apathetic really are just taking themselves out of the picture.

    In fact, if you aren't voting, you've become a very delicious target demographic. The army of you putting your weight behind a candidate could swing the election easily, based on voter turnout.

    not quite getting my point here are you?

    Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was a journalist for a year. TV. It was all fires and car wrecks and sometimes a car would catch fire after a wreck.

    GRMike on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tstale if electoral colleges were out of the us system would you be more enthusiastic about voting

    Meissnerd on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    fadingathedges on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    that would be so awesome. it'd give me great joy to have someone else legitimately interested in this stuff in the class, because usually it's fucking pathetic.

    for our section on print media, we had to bring in our favorite book or magazine. there were like 23 cosmos and one guy with an indy music magazine, then i stood up and talked about On The Road and The Big Sleep and everybody looked at me like i had tentacles or something.

    that's too bad. I need to find a place with a good Journalism department. I don't know how University of Florida's is and the school i'm in right now has Journalism as a major, but no classes on it. :|

    it's seriously a phoney major. i'm technically mass communications - journalism, and it's absolutely retarded. it is essentially a major for people who are interested in obtaining a piece of paper and interning for the rest of their lives.

    i'm switching over to english next semester for sure. from what i've read/heard, most successful journalists/writers take english degrees and then move onto a graduate school where they study journalism.

    Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    TrillionGramsTrillionGrams Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not so sure it would work in redneck country. The first time I voted four years ago we literally slipped out ballots into a cardboard box across the room from the voting officials.

    TrillionGrams on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    no that's still not really what he was saying either...

    beavotron on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    my internet should be used to that by now

    surely its once clean and tight tubes would be flappy and gaping with little resistance to even the biggest hardest data

    Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    that would be so awesome. it'd give me great joy to have someone else legitimately interested in this stuff in the class, because usually it's fucking pathetic.

    for our section on print media, we had to bring in our favorite book or magazine. there were like 23 cosmos and one guy with an indy music magazine, then i stood up and talked about On The Road and The Big Sleep and everybody looked at me like i had tentacles or something.

    that's too bad. I need to find a place with a good Journalism department. I don't know how University of Florida's is and the school i'm in right now has Journalism as a major, but no classes on it. :|

    it's seriously a phoney major. i'm technically mass communications - journalism, and it's absolutely retarded. it is essentially a major for people who are interested in obtaining a piece of paper and interning for the rest of their lives.

    i'm switching over to english next semester for sure. from what i've read/heard, most successful journalists/writers take english degrees and then move onto a graduate school where they study journalism.

    You are going to be an intern your first several years no matter where you go anyhow, unless your lead reporter gets murdered and you turn into the AP, photog and editor your second week on the job.

    GRMike on
  • Options
    SephSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    haha the internet is a slut

    Seph on
    doit.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GRMike wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    that would be so awesome. it'd give me great joy to have someone else legitimately interested in this stuff in the class, because usually it's fucking pathetic.

    for our section on print media, we had to bring in our favorite book or magazine. there were like 23 cosmos and one guy with an indy music magazine, then i stood up and talked about On The Road and The Big Sleep and everybody looked at me like i had tentacles or something.

    that's too bad. I need to find a place with a good Journalism department. I don't know how University of Florida's is and the school i'm in right now has Journalism as a major, but no classes on it. :|

    it's seriously a phoney major. i'm technically mass communications - journalism, and it's absolutely retarded. it is essentially a major for people who are interested in obtaining a piece of paper and interning for the rest of their lives.

    i'm switching over to english next semester for sure. from what i've read/heard, most successful journalists/writers take english degrees and then move onto a graduate school where they study journalism.

    You are going to be an intern your first several years no matter where you go anyhow, unless your lead reporter gets murdered and you turn into the AP, photog and editor your second week on the job.

    probably. i'm just saying journalism as a major is short of an illegitimate short cut, and the classes are weird hybrids of english and mass comm. it's just dumb.

    Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not so sure it would work in redneck country. The first time I voted four years ago we literally slipped out ballots into a cardboard box across the room from the voting officials.

    In Canada we get a ballot with a box for each representative of the major parties (usually 4, Liberal, Conservative, New Democrat, or Green (though Quebec also has the Bloc Quebecois)).

    You make a mark in the box for the candidate you want, then fold the ballot four times, and insert into the box.

    Ruckus on
  • Options
    TardTard Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going the undergrad then graduate degree in journalism route.

    But I'm already working at a paper now as the News editor, so if I can get another job after that fuck the journalism program.

    Tard on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

    Ten years ago. Educate me, what is Stale talking about?

    fadingathedges on
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    GRMike wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    guys i just found out my journalism class is going on some kind of gay field trip in like 45 minutes.

    do i get hella toasted beforehand y/n

    yes
    then when you're on the field trip, scream "what a scoop!" and jot stuff down or take a picture with an old timey camera

    oh my god i want to wear a fedora and carry a flashbulb

    then if i see police officers i will yell "CHEESE IT"

    ahahahahaha i wish i were in class with you, Fandy. I'd come in late every day and bust through the door yelling, "STOP THE PRESSES! STOP THE PRESSES!"

    that would be so awesome. it'd give me great joy to have someone else legitimately interested in this stuff in the class, because usually it's fucking pathetic.

    for our section on print media, we had to bring in our favorite book or magazine. there were like 23 cosmos and one guy with an indy music magazine, then i stood up and talked about On The Road and The Big Sleep and everybody looked at me like i had tentacles or something.

    that's too bad. I need to find a place with a good Journalism department. I don't know how University of Florida's is and the school i'm in right now has Journalism as a major, but no classes on it. :|

    it's seriously a phoney major. i'm technically mass communications - journalism, and it's absolutely retarded. it is essentially a major for people who are interested in obtaining a piece of paper and interning for the rest of their lives.

    i'm switching over to english next semester for sure. from what i've read/heard, most successful journalists/writers take english degrees and then move onto a graduate school where they study journalism.

    You are going to be an intern your first several years no matter where you go anyhow, unless your lead reporter gets murdered and you turn into the AP, photog and editor your second week on the job.

    probably. i'm just saying journalism as a major is short of an illegitimate short cut, and the classes are weird hybrids of english and mass comm. it's just dumb.

    I'll agree with that. It wasn't long before I switched my major to English as well. About the only class that helps in a JMC degree plan is Comm Law. I really enjoyed it.

    But I digress- all my experience is in TV news and TV news isn't journalism.

    GRMike on
  • Options
    TrillionGramsTrillionGrams Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Not so sure it would work in redneck country. The first time I voted four years ago we literally slipped out ballots into a cardboard box across the room from the voting officials.

    In Canada we get a ballot with a box for each representative of the major parties (usually 4, Liberal, Conservative, New Democrat, or Green (though Quebec also has the Bloc Quebecois)).

    You make a mark in the box for the candidate you want, then fold the ballot four times, and insert into the box.

    Well that makes me feel better.

    TrillionGrams on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

    Ten years ago. Educate me, what is Stale talking about?

    Our president is chosen by an electoral college, which is essentially alll the senators and all the representatives voting on who they think should be president.

    Your vote is part of the popular vote. It doesn't matter.

    HOWEVER, you can make a bit of a difference if you vote for stuff in local and state elections. Those are usually the things that affect you most directly and on a common basis. It is also the way that you chose who you want to chose who the president is.

    edit: i'm sure someone is going to get fussy about this summary, but i don't care. It's close enough and i'm naked right now deciding what i should wear for school

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    electoral college is so dogshit, needs to be abolished

    mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

    Ten years ago. Educate me, what is Stale talking about?

    Our president is chosen by an electoral college, which is essentially alll the senators and all the representatives voting on who they think should be president.

    Your vote is part of the popular vote. It doesn't matter.

    HOWEVER, you can make a bit of a difference if you vote for stuff in local and state elections. Those are usually the things that affect you most directly and on a common basis. It is also the way that you chose who you want to chose who the president is.

    edit: i'm sure someone is going to get fussy about this summary, but i don't care. It's close enough and i'm naked right now deciding what i should wear for school

    I don't know this but, in history has the electoral college ever broken with the popular vote of each state? I mean has a candidate ever received the popular vote in a state and the EC board of the state decided to vote another way.

    GRMike on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GRMike wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

    Ten years ago. Educate me, what is Stale talking about?

    Our president is chosen by an electoral college, which is essentially alll the senators and all the representatives voting on who they think should be president.

    Your vote is part of the popular vote. It doesn't matter.

    HOWEVER, you can make a bit of a difference if you vote for stuff in local and state elections. Those are usually the things that affect you most directly and on a common basis. It is also the way that you chose who you want to chose who the president is.

    edit: i'm sure someone is going to get fussy about this summary, but i don't care. It's close enough and i'm naked right now deciding what i should wear for school

    I don't know this but, in history has the electoral college ever broken with the popular vote of each state? I mean has a candidate ever received the popular vote in a state and the EC board of the state decided to vote another way.


    the elctoral voters are not held accountable to vote either way

    and yes, they have, do, and will, vote against the popular vote

    Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think what Futore is trying to say is that we're a representative democracy, not a democracy. Which is how a person can win the presidency without winning the popular vote.

    He's also a pervert and likes to dress up his real doll like Condie Rice and pretend to preemptively strike her vagina of mass destruction.

    Hunter on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    after having to convince so many people through this election to calm down about all the sensationalist crap they hear, I'm half glad that the electoral college is there.

    Ideally, i'd love for the country to be a direct democracy. but that would mean that everyone would have to be part of my bigger dream where everyone is properly educated

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    more nations need military parties on their ballots

    Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stale wrote: »
    GRMike wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

    I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

    So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

    You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

    Ten years ago. Educate me, what is Stale talking about?

    Our president is chosen by an electoral college, which is essentially alll the senators and all the representatives voting on who they think should be president.

    Your vote is part of the popular vote. It doesn't matter.

    HOWEVER, you can make a bit of a difference if you vote for stuff in local and state elections. Those are usually the things that affect you most directly and on a common basis. It is also the way that you chose who you want to chose who the president is.

    edit: i'm sure someone is going to get fussy about this summary, but i don't care. It's close enough and i'm naked right now deciding what i should wear for school

    I don't know this but, in history has the electoral college ever broken with the popular vote of each state? I mean has a candidate ever received the popular vote in a state and the EC board of the state decided to vote another way.


    the elctoral voters are not held accountable to vote either way

    and yes, they have, do, and will, vote against the popular vote

    OH HEY PRESIDENT BUSH IN 2000

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    futore if you want to pay me some money I can go out and properly educate groups or individuals.

    Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm pretty sure all of our electoral systems need a major overhaul. I think all of them were developed before the Telephone became widespread technology.

    Ruckus on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    everyone vote for blackwater

    Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mysst wrote: »
    futore if you want to pay me some money I can go out and properly educate groups or individuals.

    I wish. I would be the raddest president and totally move to get education all sorts of amazing and the main focus of the country.

    Futore on
    ETqXK.png
Sign In or Register to comment.