Options

Every voter should receive a receipt

123457»

• Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hate the electoral college as much as everyone else does, and yes I acknowledge that it does make your vote technically not count (at least not in the way it should), but being apathetic about presidential elections doesn't necessarily follow. Just because electors are not always bound to vote for those they pledge to (and the majority of states require that they do), the fact that they almost always have, and on the rare occasions they don't, it hasn't changed the outcome, means that the popular vote does have an impact on the college.

Snork on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    I just want a car I can take off sweet jumps

general_lee_400x300.jpg

Nah. This is better.
    hoofpr4.jpg

When that lands it makes a dent in the planet, not the other way around.
    bits_ken2.jpg

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Futore wrote: »
    Futore wrote: »
    Stale wrote: »
    not quite getting my point here are you?

I was guessing one of two-ish options, really :P

So you think the elections are 100% rigged? I really doubt that.

You've never actually read our constitution, have you?

Ten years ago. Educate me, what is Stale talking about?

Our president is chosen by an electoral college, which is essentially alll the senators and all the representatives voting on who they think should be president.

Your vote is part of the popular vote. It doesn't matter.

HOWEVER, you can make a bit of a difference if you vote for stuff in local and state elections. Those are usually the things that affect you most directly and on a common basis. It is also the way that you chose who you want to chose who the president is.

edit: i'm sure someone is going to get fussy about this summary, but i don't care. It's close enough and i'm naked right now deciding what i should wear for school

It's not close enough if you're going to be an arrogant dick and say shit like "You've never read the constitution have you"

If you're going to do that you better be spot fucking on, and you're nowhere close. Here, I'll give you a hint: "Under Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 of the U.S. Constitution, no person holding a federal office, either elected or appointed, may become an elector."

So, not only are you being a needlessly caustic dick, you're being a stupid dick as well. Well done, you stupid, arrogant dick. I hope you're proud.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Like, wow. You thought the Legislative branch essentially picked the next President? Holy fuck! You're an idiot! Please don't say you didn't because it's written right there. "alll the senators and all the representatives voting on who they think should be president." Woooow. (I am looking forward to the "uh no man I totally meant the representatives... of the electoral college. and also the senators of the electoral college. yes. that makes sense." post).

I think it is probably you who needs to review the Constitution! Maybe you can visit a sixth grade classroom while you're at it and learn about "checks and balances".

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hahahahahahaha

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    toss keepin' it real

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    super word on toss' post

Snork on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    e~ Where do you live? In a boonie?

e2~ Who do you vote for?

Go to the middle of nowhere in Northern California, take a left at the row of mailboxes on the rural route, and I'm the first house you come across just after the pond, across the road from the haybarn.

I vote for people whom I believe will do a good job in their office. I don't believe such of either of our presidential or vice-presidential candidates. At first glance, most of the third party candidates are complete jokes (as usual), but I'll give them a second look before I make my mark. I'm likely to do what I did in the last presidential election and write in "No Vote" and turn my focus to the rest of the ballot... I vote absentee so I'll be doing that today.

I don't have a lot of confidence in our republic at this point. Districts are drawn to make "locks" for certain politicians (One of my representatives, Wally Herger, is completely useless and we'll never be rid of him until he decides to pack up and leave, then we'll get another Republican, whomever that may be).

If I lived in a "swing state" I might be more inclined to be rambunctious about elections. But where I live, my Congressman is Herger, my Senators are Boxer and Feinstein, and the Electors will be backing Obama. This seems certain unless one of them does something so stupid as to shame them into abdication.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    California is far; I will not be rioting at you from Ohio.

Vote no on prop 8 or you're a gay!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The whole prop 8 thing is ridiculous. I don't see how my personal opinion of homosexuals is relevant to the law. I thought with those recent court cases we'd finally seen that the rule of law was supposed to protect the rights of the minority from a majority that might try to marginalize them.

But there's a decent chance that my opinion is an outlier, so I'll go ahead and vote for a gay being able to marry a gay. And also just in case you're right, because I'm not personally interested in being a gay.

On Topic:
    A paper receipt with a number that can later be verified to make sure that his or her vote was counted, and not lost or misread.

Confirming my vote was not misread would involve verifying for whom and what I voted. That's my business and I only have to share it with whom I'd please and would rather not have it recorded on anything other than the ballot itself.

Voting for gays to be able to get married is something I might not want certain people in the rural, conservative community in which I live to know about (like this asshole lunatic who lives several miles down the road and has like a hundred dogs), and having a method of tracking my voting record is not something I support.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    While admittedly not delving into it very deeply here: how bad would it be if the machine ID'd a number pre-printed on your receipt or something, not your name or SSN etc?

I'm not personally interested in being a gay.

An arrow Hshoe. Right in my manboob.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, I'm willing to admit that I may be wrong about it, but I see a vulnerability there. Possibly one in the system, and I think definitely one on part of the user.

I usually absentee vote (I like to take my time and be able to research things while I'm voting, and this year in particular I'm going to be out of town on election day) and there's might be more of a vulnerability there because I'm not anonymously punching numbers in a booth.
    I'm not personally interested in being a gay.

An arrow Hshoe. Right in my manboob.

I'm sorry I had to break it to you this way.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg