As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phoenix Wright 2 Out in JPN, English included

• Options
    RPGeekRPGeek Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Kyou wrote:
    Kyou wrote:
    I'm tempted, but I want this to sell well in America so we get three and four D:
    Four is pretty much garanteed at this point.
    It's Capcom.

Dont ever assume anything.
    Especially not a sequel.

RPGeek on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want to import this, but I've heard rumblings about the US version having new cases or something. Anyone able to confirm/deny this?
    DENIED.

Capcom has denied the existence of new cases in interviews time and again. Hell, the game just fucking came out in Japan. If there were extra cases, we'd know by now.

Additionally, Capcom wouldn't hide them, as they'd be the mojor selling point over in Japan, where they already have the game for GBA.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    KyouKyou Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    RPGeek wrote:
    Kyou wrote:
    Kyou wrote:
    I'm tempted, but I want this to sell well in America so we get three and four D:
    It's Capcom.

Especially not a sequel.
    Oh, they'll make sequels, but the question is whether they'll waste money translating them if they dont think they'll do well in America. Especially with their new "fuck off everything that doesnt sell super well in America" motto.
    Clooooooooover ;;

Kyou on
    chatbanie5.jpgnowplayingwiiiiiyy2.gif
    Note: I dont have wireless set up yet so I wont be able to add you just yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Kyou wrote:
    RPGeek wrote:
    Kyou wrote:
    Kyou wrote:
    It's Capcom.

Especially not a sequel.
    Oh, they'll make sequels, but the question is whether they'll waste money translating them if they dont think they'll do well in America. Especially with their new "fuck off everything that doesnt sell super well in America" motto.
    Clooooooooover ;;
    I'm not sure how Okami did in the US, but that's another story.

The PW:AA shortage forced me to import the Japanese version anyway.

RPGeek on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    My shiny new copy of Ace Attorney 2 shipped out of Hong Kong yesterday, and it's bringing friends! Rhythm Tengoku and Radirgy! I can't wait, truly I can't. I've pissed myself with excitement three times while typing out this horribly short (and just plain horrible) post. And all the money I've saved on importing is being spent on bottled water just so that I have something in my bladder to piss myself with!

Oh, I hope it won't be long until I can lord this game over all the non-importers. I shall be messing up the spoiler BBCode frequently.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Topher587Topher587 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just scored a copy off ebay for 24.99 with five dollar shipping.

That is so jam.

<3<3<3 this thread.

Topher587 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    As an aside, I appear to be the only one who now refers to the series by its new name, "Ace Attorney".

But I don't care. Ace Attorney is such a wonderful series name I shall use it at every given opportunity, even when completely irrelevent to the discussion. Say, dinner with my parents. Or a funeral.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    PenguinSephPenguinSeph Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    As an aside, I appear to be the only one who now refers to the series by its new name, "Ace Attorney".

But I don't care. Ace Attorney is such a wonderful series name I shall use it at every given opportunity, even when completely irrelevent to the discussion. Say, dinner with my parents. Or a funeral.
    What do you mean you didn't get all his money? You should have used an Ace Attorney!

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Why are there just murders in the game?

It's like that's the only crime that ever existed.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

I've heard that in one of the games, there's a robbery or something.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:

What do you mean you didn't get all his money? You should have used an Ace Attorney!
    "If there is anyone present, who does not wish to see this man and this woman joined together in holy wedlock, let them speak now, or forever hold their peace."

"OBJECTION!"

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2006
    I encourage everyone to not import the Japanese version, and wait for a local release.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I encourage everyone to not import the Japanese version, and wait for a local release.
    And have fun during its subsequent repeated shortages.

RPGeek on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I'm not waiting a year so I can pay extra for it.

It's not even annocued for the UK.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I'm getting both.
    PotU wrote:

THIS IS A REALSPOILER I WISH I DID NOT KNOW THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT HIGHLIGHT THIS UNLESS YOU WANT SOMETHING MAJOR SPOILED FOR YOU OH GOD

[realspoiler:654d505f4c]It starts out as a robbery trial until a body is found.[/realspoiler:654d505f4c]

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I'm not waiting a year so I can pay extra for it.

It's not even annocued for the UK.
    Import an American one.

I just want to ensure it sells well in Western territories. If eveyone imports the Japanese one, I'm worried Capcom would not translate a sequal, citing lower sales.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Great idea. I'll pay more money an inferior product (I prefer the Japanese boxart) and wait a few more months than I have to (or wait forever, if you're suggesting I wait for the European release) just to support Capcom America. I would argue that they don't deserve the support. Granted, they're the ones footing the bill for the translation, but the game must have been running in perfect English for some time now, and yet they would have me wait until 2007 for my fix.

Oh, and the notion that importers are making a tangible effect on sales is absurd. I imported the Japanese version of Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, and I imported sixteen copies on top of that for family and friends in later months. So, the cash that bought seventeen copies of the game went into Capcom Japan's pockets as opposed to Capcom America/Europe.

My importing those seventeen copies didn't make the game crash and burn. It still sold out, and we're getting the sequel.

Had I bought seventeen locally produced copies, there simply would have been seventeen copies not available for others to purchase... unless they turned to importing.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    Topher587Topher587 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    One forum's worth of less than a hundred imports is not going to do significant damage to Capcom's western market share. This game has appeal and will sell excellent regardless of how many copies get imported early.

Topher587 on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    Great idea. I'll pay more money an inferior product (I prefer the Japanese boxart) and wait a few more months than I have to (or wait forever, if you're suggesting I wait for the European release) just to support Capcom America. I would argue that they don't deserve the support. Granted, they're the ones footing the bill for the translation, but the game must have been running in perfect English for some time now, and yet they would have me wait until 2007 for my fix.

Oh, and the notion that importers are making a tangible effect on sales is absurd. I imported the Japanese version of Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright, and I imported sixteen copies on top of that for family and friends in later months. So, the cash that bought seventeen copies of the game went into Capcom Japan's pockets as opposed to Capcom America/Europe.

My importing those seventeen copies didn't make the game crash and burn. It still sold out, and we're getting the sequel.

Had I bought seventeen locally produced copies, there simply would have been seventeen copies not available for others to purchase... unless they turned to importing.

Yeah fuck Capcom USA. They don't deserve your money for taking a chance at the original. I'm just importing too! Send Capcom USA a clear message that we only want Mega Man and Resident Evil rehashes. I'm glad Clover disbanded.

/endothersideofoverreacting

solsovly on
  • Options
    TofenheimerTofenheimer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Have you looked at the releases we have to look forward to in the coming months? Ace Attorney 2 would be crushed by the flood of other awesome titles if they tried releasing it now.

From a personal stand point, yeah it sucks, but I can't fault them for wanting to avoid the Christmas release rush.

Tofenheimer on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PotU wrote:

I took a course a couple years back on mystery novels and film noir stuff.

One of the cardinal rules is that all mysteries have to be murders -- if it's not a murder, it's not interesting enough for a reader to follow and try to decipher the clues.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wouldn't a bunch of people in the US/UK buying the import simply send them the message that there's no point in waiting to release a title that's already in English?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Wouldn't a bunch of people in the US/UK buying the import simply send them the message that there's no point in waiting to release a title that's already in English?
    We can but hope.

PenguinSeph on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It's how Ouendan gained recognition, isn't it?

RPGeek on
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Umm guys need some help here- also this is a PlayAsia beware thing.

I preordered Phoenix Wright II when the preorder first became available. I got the email today that it shipped. I just got a possible fraud call from my credit card company, when I called back they just wanted to confirm that I made 3 purchases of $32.50 from PlayAsia. One copy of Phoenix Wright II was the only game I preordered.

Anyone else have this kind of experience? There are no phone numbers on the site except for a fax. Has anyone tried using their inquiry form and gotten a quick response?

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    When's "Justice For All" coming out? I like the american boxes. I know it's Q1 07, so I hope it's January and not like....March.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mr Blonde wrote:

I preordered Phoenix Wright II when the preorder first became available. I got the email today that it shipped. I just got a possible fraud call from my credit card company, when I called back they just wanted to confirm that I made 3 purchases of $32.50 from PlayAsia. One copy of Phoenix Wright II was the only game I preordered.

Anyone else have this kind of experience? There are no phone numbers on the site except for a fax. Has anyone tried using their inquiry form and gotten a quick response?
    I've been using play asia for roughly 3 years now with awesome results. :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    EToyChest.org gave Touch Detective 70/100, and PW 1 80/100. I loved PW. So like....10 points. That isn't alot, is it?

Gah, I have this Gamestop card and I want to use it! It's got like...36 bucks on it so I can get a new DS game, but Contact and Touch Detective are not all they were cracked up to be, I hear. :-( Help me G and T, you;re my only hope.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I doubt Capcom USA would have any way of knowing, nor the interest to find out.

Anyways, you guys are free to do whatever you want with your money. Just reminding you that importing could have repricussions

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ordered.

And I'll probably buy and replay a copy of the American version when it comes out.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Topher587 wrote:
    One forum's worth of less than a hundred imports is not going to do significant damage to Capcom's western market share. This game has appeal and will sell excellent regardless of how many copies get imported early.
    I'm encouraging people in general. One would hope other forums have at least one person saying the same thing as me.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Mr BlondeMr Blonde Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    PikaPuff wrote:
    Mr Blonde wrote:

I've been using play asia for roughly 3 years now with awesome results. :|

I was pretty damn shocked that it would get charged 3 times. Twice I could see as a mistake, but three? :?

Mr Blonde on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I doubt Capcom USA would have any way of knowing.
    Well, no, if they're still living in twenty years ago and don't bother speaking to their Japanese division. And since they're going out of their way to stop me from buying their product from them, fuck 'em. I won't wait through a shortage before buying the Japanese version this time.

RPGeek on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    RPGeek wrote:
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I doubt Capcom USA would have any way of knowing.
    Well, no, if they're still living in twenty years ago and don't bother speaking to their Japanese division. And since they're going out of their way to stop me from buying their product from them, fuck 'em. I won't wait through a shortage before buying the Japanese version this time.
    Let me rephrase that.

I doubt Capcom USA would have the interest in knowing. And they're not trying to stop you. It's still coming out. :p

You guys are so passionate about this nowNOWNOWNOWNOW. :|

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    I doubt Capcom USA would have any way of knowing, nor the interest to find out.

Anyways, you guys are free to do whatever you want with your money. Just reminding you that importing could have repricussions

How so?

Either the game is being translated to English for the Japanese release because the Japanese market benefits from it, in which case, it'll still be in English every time, regardless of whether it gets a US release...

Or, it gets translated because they expect people will import it, in which case, we're just doing what they want.

There's really no way for this to come back to haunt us.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Also, Capcom USA deserves to be fucked? Dude, it's their translations. Their localization. I'd like to support that, because I am still worried about getting more Phoenix Wright games in the future.

And you don't know there's going to be a shortage this time.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    That was a rather pointless ninja edit.

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So naive...

The english being on the Japanese version could be for development reasons. The port to DS could have developed in the US for all you know, or they're keeping the languages together for build consolidation.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Blackjack wrote:
    I think I'm going to wait on this.

I just am (probably stupidly) worried that if everyone imports it, Capcom will just be all "Oh well. No one's playing it in English" and will stop translating it.
    My understanding is, even if they stopped publishing it here, there's a very big audience in Japan that likes playing it in English to hone their skills at the language, so they'd probably keep publishing it there in dual-languages.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dareth Ram wrote:
    So naive...

The english being on the Japanese version could be for development reasons. The port to DS could have developed in the US for all you know, or they're keeping the languages together for build consolidation.
    If the port to DS is being done in the US, then wahy is it coming out in Japan first?

PenguinSeph on