As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On]Red Alert 3: Patch 1.12. ALSO CNC4 NEWS INSIDE! ZILO TAKES OFF PANTS!

• Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think they improved Dreadnoughts since beta. They can hit Apoc tanks with great accuracy without having to compensate for movement. Maybe the rockets have a SLIIIGHT curve towards the target. Tracking. I dunno. Whatever it is, I like it. I always win games by sneaking 2 or 3 Dreads behind their base. GG. Nobody I've faced went sea yet.

TheBog on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Westwood/EALA/Whoever if they have a weakness in their games its that:

#1 There always seems to be a critical flaw in the balance.
    #2 Online multiplayer system is balls.

I loved RA2, but Allies dominated the sea because of dolphins and carriers. And you would wait 5mins for a 2v2 to load only to have a person get dropped while loading 75% of the time. (And Yuri's Revenge was an abortion)

CNC1 had the recon bike spam dominating GDI easily. Tiberian Sun the GDI Titans roflstomped Nod bad, etc.

So I really hope Japan isn't the "Yuri side" (oh the sweet pun) as far as balance is concerned.

JediNight on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's not. All sides are finely balanced. They really nailed it this time. Although I think the online system is still balls.

TheBog on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JediNight wrote: »
    Westwood/EALA/Whoever if they have a weakness in their games its that:

#1 There always seems to be a critical flaw in the balance.
    #2 Online multiplayer system is balls.

I loved RA2, but Allies dominated the sea because of dolphins and carriers. And you would wait 5mins for a 2v2 to load only to have a person get dropped while loading 75% of the time. (And Yuri's Revenge was an abortion)

CNC1 had the recon bike spam dominating GDI easily. Tiberian Sun the GDI Titans roflstomped Nod bad, etc.

So I really hope Japan isn't the "Yuri side" (oh the sweet pun) as far as balance is concerned.

It's years on, though. All RTS games have balance issues; even Total War had some massively flawed units at launch, that's what patching is for. C&C3 had major problems with Mammoth Tank spamming; then Kane's Wrath had Mechapede spamming - both were patched out, so I don't see the issue. As for balance, really, there's no Yuri Faction. Each has particular strengths and weaknesses in battle.

The Soviets have the best brute force land units. Massive tanks, good tier 1 and tier 2 tanks, and generally by far the best land units in the game. They're second best in the sea. Airforce is seriously lacking, though. The kirov can do serious damage but is often too slow and expensive to be an option. The Soviet build method matches their "get up and running quickly and steamroll 'em" attitude - you pick a building, place it instantly, and then it 'builds up' quickly, but is vunerable while it's building.

Allies have the best airforce. Boy, their airforce is something to be reckoned with for sure. It will rape you up the ass. Their land forces are a bit lacking, but the second best aspect of them. The problem the Allies have on land is that all their units do quite a bit of damage but have low health and often require heavy air support to keep them alive. It's all well and good having units that can zap huge tanks dead in one or two shots from miles away, but they're incredibly vunerable from the air and if those tanks get close it's game over.

The allies sea is kind of similar to the Soviet air - the early units really aren't that much worth bothering with (might as well use the early amphibious units from a land-based war factory) but they do have some high tier late game sea units that are powerful. Unfortunately the best one is the aircraft carrier... which is useless on its own, but sends out planes to attack. So again, that's kind of an air unit. Allied build method is the same as old C&C games - timer ticks down, then when it's ready you place and can instantly use.

The Japanese are the most interesting to explain. Most powerful is Sea - after all, to control the pacific, they needed an immense navy. Japanese sea is something to be reckoned with, and many empire players tend to move their MCV to sea early in the game as it's easier to defend. Their second most powerful? It's complicated. The Japanese have no airfield - they build ground units and some of them can 'transform' - for example, the Mecha Tengu on the ground is an anti-infantry mech with a gattling gun. It's tier 1, and it's great from protecting yourself from infantry rush.

The secondary function turns it into the Jet Tengu - an air superiority fighter - your only one - which is great at taking down any air coming at you, but being tier 1 is weak against the allied fighters. The key problem is you can't afford to build enough to designate jobs, and so you're constantly using micro to switch jobs with it, trying to cover all angles with a few units. The Japanese only have three air units - two armour, one infantry (the infantry is like a gundam) - but they're extremely effective when managed well.

Even their base turrets are like this. There's a single type of gattling gun turret. For anti air, it's secondary function transforms it into an AA gun. Your choice if you build enough to cover both options or scout better so you can get early warning of that airstrike and transform your turrets in time. Build method is interesting - Japanese send out pods. They can build anywhere on the map, but the pod is weak and expensive. Once the pod deploys it takes time to build up to activation - so you can't just run a turret into the enemy base.

Even if you know all this, it should demonstrate a very clever design strategy in RA3 that is a bit like Halo's 'golden triangle' of Guns, Melee, Grenades in that it greats simple gameplay based on hard counters that can become very deep. There are one or two unit balance issues, I'd say, but nothing like what there was in C&C3 or RA2 because of this.

There's sometimes the illusion of it, I guess. You'll see allied players on the official boards complaining that Shogun battleships are overpowered often, to be honest - but the answer to those guys is simple - if you went toe to toe against a decent Japanese navy in a match with an allied navy, you're a bloody idiot. I as a Japanese player find myself either fleeing to the sea to regroup and attack from the air or deploying my air-to-ground units the second I see Soviet Apoc tanks riding over the hill. I don't stand and fight them, it'd be suicide. There are ground units that work against Apocs, but the soviets tech up quicker and when that first wave comes I often don't have them yet.

RA3 is just that kind of game. You have to choose the gameplay style you like - massive armies or distanced attacks until they're weak or parking on their shore and shelling them until you can send forces to mop up. You then have to really play that faction to it's strengths. In C&C3 the factions were all fairly good at everything. Not so here, and it works better.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well. I got Warhammer a while back and since I probably won't be getting Red Alert 3 so I was wondering if anyone wanted to swap codes.

Marathon on
  • Options
    frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Well god damnit, I guess I have to buy this now.

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    anti-everythinganti-everything Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm making the progress I set out to. It took me about 7 tries to beat the easy AI in a skirmish, by an infantry zerging. Today I beat the easy AI in a normal, zergless, build and attack match, took about 15 minutes or so.

Watching a replay of TheBog beat me down has been tremendously helpful.

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    frank as fuckfrank as fuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I added this to my Goozex list, but if it doesn't look like I'll get it anytime soon, I'll just buy it. Are the campaigns fun?

frank as fuck on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I need more people to beat me down online, I'm enjoying losing greatly.

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So what does Tycho mean by...
    Tycho wrote:
    Aaand, there's my Red Alert 3 download finished. It was fun to think about one thing for twenty consecutive minutes! I'm sure you can see yourselves out...?
    :...:

It means his Red Alert 3 download is done so he's not gonna be able to work for the rest of the day.

Oh snap, quoted before you could edit it :P

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I failed there, he writes cryptically at times and I put much more thought into it instead of reading it at the intended face value.

Poor guy though, he got the DD. :/

anti-everything on
    550191-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah... EA's DD sucks. People bitch about the DRM thing but for me their shitty DD setup is a bigger issue. I just went to Walmart and bought a physical disk.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went to Wal Mart to do that this morning. They didn't have a pc game section :x

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Arrath wrote: »
    I went to Wal Mart to do that this morning. They didn't have a pc game section :x

The Super Walmart I occasionally hit had moved theirs, and apparently the best place for a sequel to an acclaimed franchise is hidden on the bottom shelf, but mine did have it!

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I GOT ONLINE WORKING without hamachi!

heres how i did it

McAfee 8.5i was blocking irc communication. To allow it through,
    Right Click Virus Scan > VirusScan Console > Right Click Access Protection > Properties > Prevent IRC Communication > Edit > Processes to Exclude > enter ra3_1.3.game > then OK out

now weverything works great :D:D

Joolander on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Joolander wrote: »
    I GOT ONLINE WORKING without hamachi!

heres how i did it

McAfee 8.5i was blocking irc communication. To allow it through,
    Right Click Virus Scan > VirusScan Console > Right Click Access Protection > Properties > Prevent IRC Communication > Edit > Processes to Exclude > enter ra3_1.3.game > then OK out

now weverything works great :D:D

IRC? That's super weird. How did you ever figure that out? :)

Regardless, congrats. See you on the front lines, comrade!

zilo on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i just thought of all the things that could possibly block a program, and then i realized that i never checked mcaffee

looked it up with google and found the answer on the cnc forums

Joolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dreadnoughts save the day again. Don't you just love it when the enemy wipes you off the land, but you recover and rape him from the sea?

TheBog on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Great post, n' stuff

This is great - sounds just like one of my favorite RTSs of all time due to it's complex simplicity - Battle for Middle Earth.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone down to play a new player on hamachi vers... 1.00?? lol

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not playing right now, but I'm curious. Why use Hamachi? Why not just use the built in GameSpy stuff (even if it isn't the best tech ever)

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My firewall is being a pain.. and i cant seem to patch right now. So im stuck on 1.00 for the time being

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The online service is horrible. I prefer hamachi to if if you know who your playing with/setting up a game for your friends. Today I was disconnected from RE3 online 20+ times in a row before I got into a damn game (with Joolander).

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Think im just goin to buy this for the 360... Haha, xbox live whooo! If only they had a mouse and keyboard app for it then id be amaaaazing

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It'll improve. I should imagine it's just struggling right now getting overloaded with people. All we do when we wanna play online is meet in an obscure lobby that's always empty..

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alright, my copy came in from Amazon today.

Tonight, I will play this ...after I get back from an Age of Empires II LAN. Sweet.

Daemonion on
  • Options
    pogo1250pogo1250 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    logging into red alert 3 online..... come on.... come on.... *successfully logs in* woot!..... you have been disconnected to red alert 3... fuck!

pogo1250 on
    310457-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's a router thing. Router users are fucked, as far as I know. You have to open 10 ports, I believe. I don't remember which ones, or how to do it. I'm no tech guru.

Oh. And another win for the mighty Dreadnought.

TheBog on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    StokedUp wrote: »
    My firewall is being a pain.. and i cant seem to patch right now. So im stuck on 1.00 for the time being

You don't have to use the autopatcher, you can download them from the Red Alert website. They're all really small files.

Also for those having connectivity issues, there's a post on the RA3 official forms telling you what ports to open. Here's a stickied post with patch download links and port forwarding information:

http://forums.commandandconquer.com/jforum/posts/list/190.page

zilo on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The more I play this game the better I get at it, and the better I get at it the more I like it, and the more I like it the more I want to play it.

I'm doomed.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So does Gina Carano show up in any FMVs?

Katholic on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Katholic wrote: »

So far I've counted one appearance during the Allied campaign (of all places).

She pretty much just stands there and looks menacing.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    Katholic wrote: »

So far I've counted one appearance during the Allied campaign (of all places).

She pretty much just stands there and looks menacing.

She'll punch you in the head.
    :winky:

Kami on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are the campaign storylines sequential or do they have nothing to do with each other?

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The Soviet "Magnet the fuck out of some tanks so they fly up into the sky" power can choke on a dick.

So I'm building up a stockpile of tanks while mocroing at the frontlines. 12 Hammers built and ready, sat in my base. No, wait, 2 tanks sat in my base. The rest are on their way to Mars or some shit. Fuck!

ben0207 on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh god, that sounds hilarious. I think I may have to get this.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The support powers are mostly all brilliant.

Conversely I found the superpowers to be a bit weak looking, but I have my settings quite low.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man alive, I just went to Amazon to order this, the game has received an average user rating of 2/5. I checked the reviews and basically a ton of people are refusing to buy it because of the DRM.

Not that it's going to stop me, but I do hope they forget this securom nonsense soon.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    Man alive, I just went to Amazon to order this, the game has received an average user rating of 2/5. I checked the reviews and basically a ton of people are refusing to buy it because of the DRM.

Not that it's going to stop me, but I do hope they forget this securom nonsense soon.

Not likely I'm afraid, EA have pretty much made the install limits standard for all their releases now. I guess they figure it helps put a stop to the second-hand market. Goodness knows it sure ain't stopping piracy.

And unfortunately that adds me to the list of people not buying the game as a result. I can at least understand using DRM when it has an effect on piracy and perhaps if they offer some additional benefit to the paying consumer. This measure, by it's very design, doesn't have any additional effect on stopping piracy and yet places increased limits and restrictions on the people actually paying for the game. It's stupid and it's not a trend I'm really keen to support. The unfortunate problem is that my money doesn't mean much as long as the game sells a million anyway, so they're just going to keep on doing it.

I hate to think what they've got planned for the next round of DRM when they finally say that these restrictions haven't done anything for them.

subedii on
  • Options
    reignofevilreignofevil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It feels good having managed to buy, then install a game for once and have NO difficulties playing it what so ever.

reignofevil on