As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A few nights in Seattle...

grueslayahgrueslayah Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
What to do? I will be there from the 3rd to the 8th of November. What is some good stuff to do (nighttime only, I am busy in the days). Suggestions?

BRINGING BEES AND KNEES TOGETHER IN SD SINCE 1899
grueslayah on

• Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    There are tons of PA people in Seattle. Find some and go party.

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    What kind of things are you looking for? Bars? Clubs? Lounges? Restaurants?

ege02 on
  • Options
    oniianoniian Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah more info would be nice, like who would be with you, ages, and what you are into. Less you want answers as general as your question is, if thats the case then go see things at night.

oniian on
  • Options
    grueslayahgrueslayah Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, sorry, I was in a mad dash to get out the door. My bad.

So, we're all 18+, but shall we say...morally conservative? Not looking for any bars or stripjoints, etc., just maybe good places to eat, if there are any cool concerts (be they classical or otherwise) that anyone knows of, or...well...things in the city to see, you know. Almost tourist-y, but to a lesser extent.

Hope this helps.

grueslayah on
    BRINGING BEES AND KNEES TOGETHER IN SD SINCE 1899
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Go check out the Experience Music Project, otherwise known as the "festering boil at the base of the Space Needle." It's a very cool museum of American music, covering a bunch of genres (focusing on rock).

While you're at it, do the Space Needle. It's a waste of money and time, but it's Seattle's landmark.

Go to the Pike Place Market. You can kill a day there easily, if you want to. The longest running public market in the US, you'll find everything from local arts and crafts to produce to the very first Starbucks.

Also, if you can make your way up to my old stomping grounds in Everett (about 15 miles north), I'd hit the Boeing plant tour. The production facility is billed as being the world's largest building, and it's quite impressive to see 4 or 5 747's being built before your very eyes.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I was there last week, I got to meet Gabe, Tycho, and Khoo.

Funny story, I'm in line for an autograph and when I came up to Tycho, I gave him my book and said, "I totaly flew out to Wisconsin just to say "hello" to you guys."

Tycho looked at me... oddly.

I then threw down my Wisconsin Drivers licence. Tycho's look went from suprise to fear with a little hint of shame. I then told him I was actually there to stalk Khoo. There was a sigh of relief, and Tycho waves out into the comic shop.

"Oh Robert's totaly stalkable! He's over there!"

I chatted with Khoo for about 15 minutes. It was very, very informational and the highlight of me going out there.

For those with question marks over why I would go after Khoo, It's because I'm a business major, and what Robert had done with Penny Arcade Inc is nothing short of amazing from the business aspect. I was probing for contacts and information, it's simple networking, but when you meet people in positions like that, keep thier cards. You well never know.

halkun on
  • Options
    TheFallenLordTheFallenLord Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Everybody usually recommends Gasworks park, but I don't know that the weather will be cooperating.

Pacific Science Center is neat. Maybe catch an IMAX movie?

The Zoo is pretty cool, but you'll have the same weather concerns.

Aquarium is meh.

I haven't been to EMP in a while, but I had a really good time back when it first opened.

Definatly check out the Pike Place Market. A lot of people like to watch the fish stand guys sling fish around...I guess they're famous for it.

If you like mexican, there is this place called El Puerco Lloron, below the market. Its tasty and reasonably priced (Get the steak and ask for black beans).

Edit: This place is hard to find. You have to walk out the ocean side of the market, and down to the street level below it. Then, you have to go down a flight of stairs, and its kind of hidden in a little alcove on the right hand side. Its good for lunch, but I wouldn't go for dinner.

TheFallenLord on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    When you go to the EMP, be sure to check out the Sci-fi museum. They've got all sorts of wicked stuff.

I second the "Pacific Science Center" recommendation, although they change the exhibits around and I haven't been there in a while.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    panksea06panksea06 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I second the Science Fiction museum, if you got to either it or EMP you can get into both so it is a rather nice deal.

The Pacific Science Center is currently hosting the Dead Sea Scrolls, which is pretty freaking cool.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrolls
    http://www.pacsci.org/dss/default.html

panksea06 on
    How can they expect me to have a sig when I am too lame to upload an avatar after 2 ye- oh wait...
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Definatly check out the Pike Place Market. A lot of people like to watch the fish stand guys sling fish around...I guess they're famous for it.

If you like mexican, there is this place called El Puerco Lloron, below the market. Its tasty and reasonably priced (Get the steak and ask for black beans).

Edit: This place is hard to find. You have to walk out the ocean side of the market, and down to the street level below it. Then, you have to go down a flight of stairs, and its kind of hidden in a little alcove on the right hand side. Its good for lunch, but I wouldn't go for dinner.

Hey, I work in the Market and I will totally go there for lunch next week. Thanks!

Other Seattle stuff for the OP:
    -If you guys like zoos the Woodland Park Zoo is pretty top of the line. It's got tons of animals in really nice habitats. Check out the gorillas and the orangutans - you can get right up to the glass and stare them in the face. If you want to interest them, bring bright colorful pictures and show them.

-Some of the best stuff about Seattle is just to do with where it is. Walk around on the Burke-Gilman. Drive out to the Cascades and take a hike. Take a ride on the ferry to Bainbridge and back. Puget Sound and environs are a place of pretty amazing natural beauty.

-As for restaurants, there are a few really good ones. I know mainly those in North Seattle. The Swingside Cafe, on Fremont Ave and like 40th st, is a great little place. There's a great little sushi place called Musashi's two blocks east of 45th and Stone - a great deal; be sure to order the noodle salad, which is amazing, and if you are hungry you can get the Shirashi (which is not on the menu and is basically 20 dollars worth of great sashimi over hot rice, for 12 dollars.) Down by the University of Washington, there's an excellent mexican restaurant called Cafe Agua Verde right on the water (south of 15th and Pacific.) On Roosevelt, look for an Italian restaurant called Ciao Bella right around 70th, and there's a place called the Blue Onion Bistro at around 60th. The best burger I've ever had is from Red Mill Burgers - closed mondays - on Greenwood and 72nd.

Closer to downtown, I'm less knowledgeable. There are some amazing Ethiopian restaurants in the East African neighborhood in the Central District around 12th and Cherry. Pretty much any random place in Chinatown is going to be good. And in the Market, most restaurants are second-rate, but notable exceptions include Cafe Campagne and the Pink Door (mais ils sont tres cheres!)

Oh and lastly, there's a great exhibit on Henry Darger going on right now at the Frye Art Museum. Darger was basically a total recluse who spent all his time in his apartment composing thousands of pages about an invented world where armies of little girls with penises fight off evil slavers. He died in the 70s and the landlady found reams and reams of this stuff. It's never been fully exhibited or printed but some is on display right now. A glimpse into a very strange and obsessive mind. I hear it's a great exhibit.

TurnpikeLad on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't know about that Ethiopian food... it's a little weird. If you're feeling adventurous, by all means.

But if you're in the CD, you can visit the hands-down, inarguably best burger joint in Seattle, CC's Burgers. Yes, Red Mill is the fucking bomb, I won't doubt that. But CC's Every Thang is a sight to behold, though--a two patty, two cheese, bacon-and-a-hot link monstrosity that is more than worth the heart attack.

Downtown's kind of a wash. There's the Triple Door, which has the best acoustics in the city and hosts a variety of Jazz artists. The Symphony is pricey. The Seattle Art Museum is currently holding "Bodies: The Exhibit," a collection of unclaimed Chinese bodies that have been preserved and arranged for your scientific (or morbidly curious) viewing. The Cinerama is one badass movie theatre, and if there's something good playing I would definetly check it out. But other than that, there's nothing to reccommend, unless there's a good band at the Showbox.

If you're a movie fan, hop a bus to the U-District and take a look through Scarecrow Video. If you can't find it there, it probably doesn't exist on tape--last I checked, they were at 70,000 titles and climbing.

If you're at a loss for things to do, you can always grab a copy of the Stranger and check through their calendar listings. It's a free weekly rag, you can find it just about anywhere (look for the bright blue newsbins on the sidewalk, or just duck into any coffee shop).

Also to note is the Underground Tour, down in Pioneer Square. There's a bit of undercity going on here, and it's a neat experience. Stay away from there on the weekends, though, it's a horrible zoo of club-goers.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    TurnpikeLadTurnpikeLad Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So how's it going? Did you have a good time?

TurnpikeLad on