As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Copying data to an xbox 360 elite

Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got a standard 20GB xbox 360 from towards the end of the problematic ones. It has done me well for a couple years now, but has started acting up on occasion. Since I have recently upgraded my tv to one with hdmi and would like a larger hard drive given the size of expansions like Shivering Isles and tracks for Rock Band and Guitar Hero, I am considering just picking up a 360 elite. Can I easily transfer my profiles over from the current hdd to the one on the elite? Some things I read talk as if the elite comes with the cable to do the transfer, just like buying the 120gb drive separately does, but it's not listed as coming with the elite when I look at xbox.com. Does the elite come with this cable? Can I get the transfer cable separately from the 120gb drive?

Jimmy King on

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you buy a console with a bigger drive and it doesn't come with a cable then you can order one from xbox.com.

Your best bet here is probably to go for the new Pro. 60GB and HDMI in it and it's a lot cheaper.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have an elite which I bought in June, but I do not remember seeing such a cable in the box. I can try to doublecheck when I get home if this hasn't been answered already.

SteevL on
    edited November 2008
    I think the cable only comes with the separate drive, and you have to order it if you get a full console.

Willeth on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    huh, I'll have to double check the new pro. My friend just bought one the other day and I swear the box said it didn't have hdmi. That would definitely be the way to go if it has hdmi. the 20gb is a tad small given the size of the expansions for stuff, but 120gb is probably overkill for what I'll actually want to put on there.

Ordering the transfer cable separate is no big deal just as long as I can easily transfer my stuff around. The only like I can find to the separate transfer kit on xbox.com ends up getting redirected to totally unrelated xbl stuff. The link I'm finding is http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm but when I follow that link I end up here.

I'll try contacting xbox support to see what they have to say about the transfer kit.

Jimmy King on
    edited November 2008
    All models of Xbox currently being manufactured have HDMI ports on the back. If you really wanted you could buy an Arcade and a separate 120GB HDD (which would have the cable). In fact, it might work out better for you to do that, even.

Willeth on
  • VarsVars Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support/MigrationKit-OrderForm.pdf

That's the form for the transfer kit, whether it's still available is another thing.

Vars on
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    All models of Xbox currently being manufactured have HDMI ports on the back. If you really wanted you could buy an Arcade and a separate 120GB HDD (which would have the cable). In fact, it might work out better for you to do that, even.

That's an excellent idea there. I just might have to go that route.

Jimmy King on
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    hard drive migration kit:
    http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/xbox360/kb.aspx?ID=936860&lcid=1033&category=hardware

(if the link dies, just go to Accessories->Storage->Hard Drive Transfer Kit in the left hand menu)

I'd also suggest that you research the various SKUs of the currently available xboxes, and make sure you get the newer chipset (Falcon, or maybe even Jasper?). Until recently many stores were still selling machines with old, RROD prone chipsets.

And look into the recent Dell deals... i know they were selling the arcade units for $170 a few days ago...

illig on