As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting that old look

Yeah WriteYeah Write Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello everyone,

I've been reading PA for years, but for some reason I'm just now getting to the forums. I need some help on a particular style, and after surveying the impressive talent on these boards, I figured I'd ask here.

I'm working on a childrens book set in the old west (here's a shameless plug for my first book...though the art style is very different). I'd like each picture to look like an old, worn photograph. I'm thinking a yellowish tint, and then having the characters pop with color. I was searching the internet for inspiration and found the PA comic for Brothers in Arms. I really like what he did there with the old look. Does anyone know how he went about doing that? I'm assuming a noise filter, and possibly a custom brush.

I'm using Photoshop CS3 with a Wacom Cintiq 12WX. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm trying to get this book done by the end of December, so I need to get busy. I got lTocked when I posted this in the artist's corner, so hopefully someone here can help me out. Thanks!

...do the write thing.
Yeah Write on

• Superzero115Superzero115 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just as a quick response, a good way to add age to a photo is to burn the edge(s) with a lighter for a worn and abused look. A yellow/red tint also can add some age, as well as having them in black and white.

Superzero115 on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Your topic in the AC got locked because you didn't read the top thread, which is fairly clearly labelled:

RULES! READ BEFORE ANYTHING!!!
    4 ) Avoid Erroneous New Topics
    Before posting a New Topic, decide if what you have really warrants a whole topic to itself. We have three useful threads you should be aware of:

* The Doodle Thread
    * The Chat thread
    * The Questions/Discussion Thread

If you want advice on a quick sketch, unfinished work, or just want to show off something that didn't take much effort, use the Doodle thread. If you've just got a general question to ask, drop it in the Questions/Discussion thread. Otherwise, if you just feel like being social, swing by the Chat thread. New topics with no art in them are extremely likely to get locked, so keep that in mind.

It's possible that somebody here in H/A will be able to help you - some of the AC regulars cross-post here - but honestly, you're much better off just admitting that you were a doofus for not bothering to read the rules, then taking your inquiry back to the AC Questions thread.

Or, you could just google it. The first result for "old west style tutorial" turned up this. Or, there's a video tutorial, also on the first page of results, though it places more emphasis on fading the edges for a poster effect.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    That comic appears to use a concrete or maybe rusty metal texture (free ones here ) on a layer set to Overlay (maybe Screen), sandwiched between the lineart and color layers. You may have to adjust the opacity of the layer, the saturation (Ctrl-U), or the levels (Ctrl-L) to get the effect you're going for. For a book, you'll probably want to either get a variety of similar textures, or mess with one in PS to create several different pattern varieties, otherwise the repeating of the same texture artifacts over and over will become noticeable after a few pages.

The colors I would guess are just a matter of choosing a good palette of desaturated colors, but if you're finding in your own work you are getting too bright of colors all around, you can always add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and tone it down. If you do this and you find the characters are being faded out too much, you can always use the layer mask and draw in the areas you don't want the desaturation to effect.

Hope this helps.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Yeah WriteYeah Write Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Your topic in the AC got locked because you didn't read the top thread, which is fairly clearly labelled:

RULES! READ BEFORE ANYTHING!!!

It's possible that somebody here in H/A will be able to help you - some of the AC regulars cross-post here - but honestly, you're much better off just admitting that you were a doofus for not bothering to read the rules, then taking your inquiry back to the AC Questions thread.

Or, you could just google it. The first result for "old west style tutorial" turned up this. Or, there's a video tutorial, also on the first page of results, though it places more emphasis on fading the edges for a poster effect.
    Wow, that was uncalled for. I did read the rules, but I didn't notice the part about AC questions. It was a simple mistake, no need to call people names, I'm just seeking some friendly advice. I did search google and I found a few things, but I wanted the advice of other artists too.

Yeah Write on
    ...do the write thing.
    edited November 2008
    Thanks a lot. I think I might try and make a few patterns. I appreciate the help.

Yeah Write on
    ...do the write thing.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I actually think he was just advising you where you'd best be able to be helped, not calling you names. :)

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Man I actually think he was just advising you where you'd best be able to be helped, not calling you names. :)
    It's she, actually <_<

But yeah, man, "doofus" is pretty low down on the list of derogatory names used on the internet. The thing about AC is, they're really strict on the rules, and that can send a lot of newcomers packing in a hurry because they think they've stumbled into a den of rabid elitist snakewolves or something. But they're also a great, incredibly talented crew of people, and if you can swallow your pride well enough to accept the nose-smack of getting your first post locked, you'll find all manner of helpful advice there.
    (Angel of Bacon is actually one of the AC mods).

Kate of Lokys on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And don't ask for criticism unless you are really ready for it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited November 2008
    She, huh. Okay, I'm a doofus and didn't bother to check.

Willeth on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's she, actually <_<

But yeah, man, "doofus" is pretty low down on the list of derogatory names used on the internet. The thing about AC is, they're really strict on the rules, and that can send a lot of newcomers packing in a hurry because they think they've stumbled into a den of rabid elitist snakewolves or something. But they're also a great, incredibly talented crew of people, and if you can swallow your pride well enough to accept the nose-smack of getting your first post locked, you'll find all manner of helpful advice there.

I think that getting your first post locked is standard operating procedure. Whether or not you stick around after that is actually a rite of initiation.

Delzhand on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    hey guys there's no need for rudeness.

Tube on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't much work with photoshop, but I think looking into how to render your work with a sepia tone might be a good start; perhaps there's a a filter/function in CS3?

And in the comic you link, they seem to have done something to simulate grain.

Djeet on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Djeet wrote: »
    And in the comic you link, they seem to have done something to simulate grain.

Oh that. It's easy to do. Mess around with noise filters until you get something stain-looking like that and use as an overlay.

Echo on
    edited November 2008
    Oh hey I just remembered I had this link bookmarked from early last year.

Another technique I remember reading is to get an old slightly foxed book, scan it, and cut out the rips and folds to apply to your own image.

Willeth on
    edited November 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It's she, actually <_<

I think that getting your first post locked is standard operating procedure. Whether or not you stick around after that is actually a rite of initiation.

Haha, see I feel better now. I've been keeping blogs and roaming the internet since it started, but I've managed to stay out of message boards. Just never thought about using them I guess. So sorry for the poor etiquette.

Anyways, about my question, I think Gabe kind of answered it in today's post. I went out and searched for a few textures I think I found one that is going to give me the look I want. When I do finish a picture or two, I'll be sure to post them for critiques...on the proper board of course :lol:

Yeah Write on
    ...do the write thing.