As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC surround sound

ArminasArminas Student of LifeSF, CARegistered User regular
So I did a search and I did find this thread:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=39789

It discussed feeling jipped on purchasing a nice soundcard and a set of 7.1 speakers. I am in a similar set of questions but didn't want to resurrect that thread.

Right now I have a set of 2.1 speakers from Cambridge Soundworks that do not appear to have a model number, they're old but they're good. Fantastic range of frequency for music, but I've since decided to update my PC setup for surround sound gaming. In regards to this, I have a number of questions. But first I'll list my own information that might be relevant.

- Vista 32-bit
- On-board sound from an Asus P5K motherboard
- Budget: <$300 total
- Setup is located in the living room so I'll have plenty of space to put things. If you need pics, let me know.

Other miscellaneous notes:
I did have an xtreme music xfi sound card, but I had heard it was a nightmare to run with vista so I left it in my old box. I'm not aiming TO spend $300, but I'd be willing to go that high if I was convinced that it was that much more awesome. I thoroughly enjoy music and can tell the difference between a crappy and a good rip of music, but I don't understand a lot of the jargon that may go along with it. I'm not so crazy as to demand FLAC for all of my music but prefer either a variable bitrate or >=160kbps

But now! Onto the questions!
  • Is it worth it now to dump a bunch of money on a sound system?
  • Are there any specific brands of speakers y'all recommend these days?
    I'd like one with an audio jack that I can plug headphones/mic directly into the speakers instead of plugging it into my tower, but it's not a big deal
  • Will getting a 5.1 sound system affect how my music sounds?
  • Is it necessary to get a soundcard or will my onboard sound be sufficient?
    I realize that there as a large jump in my quality of sound when i was using my extreme music xfi card on my old rig, but the trouble I might have to go through for use with Vista just doesn't seem worth it and my current on-board sound doesn't sound so bad

I'd love to hear any feedback or assistance with this. I haven't yet scoped out Newegg's top user/recommended picks for speakers yet. So...

Arminas on

• 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is it worth it now to dump a bunch of money on a sound system?
    Are there any specific brands of speakers y'all recommend these days?
    I'd like one with an audio jack that I can plug headphones/mic directly into the speakers instead of plugging it into my tower, but it's not a big deal
    Will getting a 5.1 sound system affect how my music sounds?
    Is it necessary to get a soundcard or will my onboard sound be sufficient?
    I realize that there as a large jump in my quality of sound when i was using my extreme music xfi card on my old rig, but the trouble I might have to go through for use with Vista just doesn't seem worth it and my current on-board sound doesn't sound so bad

Worth it now? Yes. I would recommend buying the Logitech Z-5500 speakers - great value for money considering they have optical input, coaxial input, AND direct (black, yellow, green) inputs on a cabled control with a wireless remote. The sound, for PC speakers is consistently reviewed as the best in the industry.

Your 5.1 system will play music through 2 channels, unless you play it through "Stereo 2X" or "Quadraphonic"

A sound card will always have better processing options. I love my Razer Barracuda - paired with Logitech Z-680s (5500's predecessor) and the Barracuda Headphones. The sound and positioning in any game is spectacular.

The main problem I've had with onboard sound is that once I find the electronic noise that filters through to the speakers, I can't ignore it. I move the mouse and hear that faint "zzzzt" and I hate myself for not having a sound card with better insulated circuitry and noise canceling.

1ddqd on
  • ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    The main problem I've had with onboard sound is that once I find the electronic noise that filters through to the speakers, I can't ignore it. I move the mouse and hear that faint "zzzzt" and I hate myself for not having a sound card with better insulated circuitry and noise canceling.

Ohhhhh, I wondered what that was. I would hear something like that when using headphones on my laptop or just on occasion with my tower.

Arminas on
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, its annoying, and the sound card (if good enough) will compensate for that. I love the Razer card, but it's a C-Media 8xxx series chip, so all you really need to look for is a similar chip - Asus uses one in the Xonar series, I think.

Stay away from Creative...the drivers are bloated (especially compared to the AC-1's ONE app)

1ddqd on