As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XNA Indie Games! Now with 80pt ($1 USD) game option!

• Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    http://www.ithinkdiff.com/windows-phone-7-series-development-documents-leaked-development-in-xna-and-silverlight-multitasking-enabled-871239

Looks like XNA will be the development tool for games in Windows Mobile 7. It makes you wonder how easy it will be to take a game meant for the Xbox 360 and port it to a phone?

The biggest hurdle will probably be performance. Unless it uses platform-specific code or features a game written in XNA will already run on PC, Xbox 360 and Zune, but obviously the 360 can handle much heavier graphics than a Zune can. Designing a game for a phone or Zune and then porting it to the 360 will be a lot easier.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I messed around with putting a game on the original Zune, and performance wasn't too bad. You were limited to the spritebatch stuff, but it was exactly the same code as for PC/Xbox otherwise.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The new font is MUCH better. I also love your four characters, I can't wait to play this game.

You guys have inspired me to get back into game development. I had worked 6 months on my previous RPG attempt (very much inspired by Earthbound) before my partner pulled out of the project. I think I'll follow the route you guys took, simpler sprites and graphics without losing the colours :)

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Good luck, :). Making RPGs is a ton of work, but quite fun.

Also here's another screenshot of the overworld I'm working on for our RPG:

overworldtextscren.jpg

:P

slash000 on
  • Options
    GibbsGibbs Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    Good luck, :). Making RPGs is a ton of work, but quite fun.

Also here's another screenshot of the overworld I'm working on for our RPG:

overworldtextscren.jpg

:P
    I especially love the forest in this section:
    oh_you.jpg

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got a bad case of lovin' you.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh, fuck, I think I'm actually seeing stuff in there. Is 33 shoreline and 13 water?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Oh, fuck, I think I'm actually seeing stuff in there. Is 33 shoreline and 13 water?

Yes, indeed! Good job :D

slash000 on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

You play Dwarf Fortress, don't you?

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    StargliderStarglider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm currently making the tutorial for my bird flight game. I thought I'd post this montage to give people an idea of the controls (click for a larger version);

controls-montage-small.jpg

The tutorial is voiced, but the out-of-character game controller mapping stuff comes as pause pop ups. My biggest concern with this game is that the control scheme will be too complicated for new players. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to simplify it without seriously compromising gameplay.

Starglider on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I bet you're right. It doesn't look like you could simplify those controls without messing with gameplay, but isn't that kind of the point?

Unless you could come up with some sort of easy mode. I dunno.

(BTW, I'm excited for this game.)

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I see we're both using the same public domian 360 button images.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I should link to them actually, they're a good resource.

X360 button image pack by Jeff Jenkins

Starglider on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm sure you guys get the point by now, but I'm measuring success in inches at this point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufOuPaY77P8

I'm very, very ready for this to be done. Hopefully in a few weeks.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So guys, I am learning that designing dungeons for RPGs is surprisingly time consuming and difficult work.

But it's fun! I'm enjoying the creative process of doing so.

But man it's more work than it seems that's for sure.

slash000 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    So guys, I am learning that designing dungeons for RPGs is surprisingly time consuming and difficult work.

Free dungeon designs Courtesy of SquareEnix
    Start
     | |
     | |
     | |
     | |
     | |
     | |
     End

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Last two panels seem appropriate here:

215236049_oYZzv-L-2.jpg

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Hahah, nice.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am learning that subtitles are much more work than you'd think. You have to chop the entire script into tiny pieces, put it in XML files, attach it to the audio files, tag it with speaker ID data, put in millisecond offsets for triggers, then put in a mechanism to compensate for slow readers, and of course integrate it into the draw code and make sure it's visible whatever the background is or what UI overlays are present. But if you don't do this, the accessibility / disabled rights people will send shock troops in rocket-powered wheelchairs to stone you to death you with expired hearing aid batteries...

Well maybe. I don't want to take that risk, so I am doing the subtitles.

Starglider on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And that's why you make text-based games. ;)
    and then the blind people stone you.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Starglider wrote: »
    I'm currently making the tutorial for my bird flight game. I thought I'd post this montage to give people an idea of the controls (click for a larger version);

controls-montage-small.jpg

The tutorial is voiced, but the out-of-character game controller mapping stuff comes as pause pop ups. My biggest concern with this game is that the control scheme will be too complicated for new players. Unfortunately I can't think of a way to simplify it without seriously compromising gameplay.

This right here. This is how you know it's a flight simulator. :P

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I want to say something about Dungeon Man here, but I'm not sure whether he was supposed to be an example of good dungeons or bad dungeons.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Okay, a question: how do you create something like a high score file that's shared between different users on the same Xbox? I know you can access files stored at the game's location using the path you get from StorageContainer.TitleLocation; however, on the Xbox I can read a file like that just fine, but trying to write to them with FileMode.Open results in a file permission exception.

The only other thing I can think of is trying to open an already existing file with FileMode.Truncate, but unfortunately I can't actually test stuff on my Xbox right now.

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Man, people who make their own games are awesome. I want to make my own game. I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but I'm so lost. Where do I start? Learn C#? I know literally nothing about programming, but I just read an article on joystiq about the guy who made a game called Kaleidoscope, and it sounded like he didn't know anything at the beginning either and it gives me hope.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    anoffday wrote: »
    Man, people who make their own games are awesome. I want to make my own game. I've been wanting to do it for a long time, but I'm so lost. Where do I start? Learn C#? I know literally nothing about programming, but I just read an article on joystiq about the guy who made a game called Kaleidoscope, and it sounded like he didn't know anything at the beginning either and it gives me hope.

Yeah, your best bet would be to run through a C# tutorial, preferably one with a focus on Windows Forms. Windows Forms lets you show windows with various buttons and textboxes on your screen, which will give you a decent start at handling input. You'll also learn about event handlers which are very powerful, but hard to learn about out of context.

After that, you might want to look into the Graphics object. It isn't used in XNA, but it'll be a good simple start at drawing objects onto the screen. You wouldn't have to go too deep into it though.

Finally, you might want to skim a Linear Algebra textbook. You're going to want to understand vectors to do any kind of physics.

And if you have any problems, people in this thread are always happy to help. Even I've picked up a few C# tricks from this thread and I program C# professionally.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

You play Dwarf Fortress, don't you?

:lol:

Arrath on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

If you just want to make games, you could try the beginner tutorials included in the XNA help files. They helped me more than anything else I could find when I was first getting started.

And definitely ask for help in this thread if you get stuck. Definitely.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gjaustin wrote: »

Yeah, your best bet would be to run through a C# tutorial, preferably one with a focus on Windows Forms. Windows Forms lets you show windows with various buttons and textboxes on your screen, which will give you a decent start at handling input. You'll also learn about event handlers which are very powerful, but hard to learn about out of context.

After that, you might want to look into the Graphics object. It isn't used in XNA, but it'll be a good simple start at drawing objects onto the screen. You wouldn't have to go too deep into it though.

Finally, you might want to skim a Linear Algebra textbook. You're going to want to understand vectors to do any kind of physics.

And if you have any problems, people in this thread are always happy to help. Even I've picked up a few C# tricks from this thread and I program C# professionally.

I just downloaded XNA, now I need one of these:

Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition
    Visual C# 2008 Express Edition
    Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
    Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition

Which one should I get to work with XNA? What's the difference between C# and C++? If it helps, I want to make 2D platformers.

anoffday on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    C# 2008 is the one that works with XNA. It's a free download at creators.xna.com

I'm no expert, but from what I understand C# is basically a more user friendly version of C++.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    C# 2008 is the one that works with XNA. It's a free download at creators.xna.com

I'm no expert, but from what I understand C# is basically a more user friendly version of C++.
    Thanks.
    If you just want to make games, you could try the beginner tutorials included in the XNA help files. They helped me more than anything else I could find when I was first getting started.

Are you currently working on a game?

anoffday on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    anoffday wrote:

Yeah. I posted some videos of a platformer I was working on before. Here's the most recent video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLNxFc3P-k

Working on a different thing now, because I got bored with this, though. I really like the current project I'm working on so hopefully I won't get bored with it, but there's nothing to show yet. Anyway, why do you ask?

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited February 2010

From a technical standpoint, the primary difference is that C# is a managed language.

In layman's terms, that means that you trade a little bit of performance for the language to handle (most) memory allocation and to keep you from doing anything incredibly stupid.

I like to describe C# as Microsoft's "version" of Java after the courts told them they couldn't make a version of Java.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    anoffday wrote:

Yeah. I posted some videos of a platformer I was working on before. Here's the most recent video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxLNxFc3P-k

Working on a different thing now, because I got bored with this, though. I really like the current project I'm working on so hopefully I won't get bored with it, but there's nothing to show yet. Anyway, why do you ask?
    Just curious. That one looked pretty cool.

anoffday on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

From a technical standpoint, the primary difference is that C# is a managed language.

In layman's terms, that means that you trade a little bit of performance for the language to handle (most) memory allocation and to keep you from doing anything incredibly stupid.

I like to describe C# as Microsoft's "version" of Java after the courts told them they couldn't make a version of Java.

I have been thinking about this topic a lot recently, and I'd like to add the following:

Java forces you to do a lot of error-checking. If a function throws an exception ("could produce an unpredictable error"), you MUST put that sucker in a try-catch. C# gives you a little more leeway. On the one hand, you can produce non-functioning and error-prone code. On the other hand, you don't have to fight the compiler just to run what you've written.

Ever since I learned C#, I've been mortified at the prospect of returning to Java.

(It is a great language to write a game in with the XNA libraries.)

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    C# fixed a lot of Java's flaws.

I don't really know if requiring exception handling is a flaw though. It's annoying if you're writing quick one-offs, granted.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Slash000 has been busy. :)

1Graveyard.png

1Ruins.png

For my part, I've got all of the single character abilities done in the battle system and I'm hoping to get all of the multi-character unite abilities done tonight.

EDIT: Just finished the unite abilities! Now on to monster abilities & save/load system!

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    TrumpetsTrumpets Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Looking good. How many hours and when can we expect it?

Trumpets on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Kupi wrote: »

I have been thinking about this topic a lot recently, and I'd like to add the following:

Java forces you to do a lot of error-checking. If a function throws an exception ("could produce an unpredictable error"), you MUST put that sucker in a try-catch. C# gives you a little more leeway. On the one hand, you can produce non-functioning and error-prone code. On the other hand, you don't have to fight the compiler just to run what you've written.

Ever since I learned C#, I've been mortified at the prospect of returning to Java.

(It is a great language to write a game in with the XNA libraries.)

I'm just glad they let you compare strings with == now instead of using .equals().

Last time I programmed Java, after being spoiled by C#, I banged my head against a bug caused by that for hours until I remembered.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Breath of Death VII

This looks like a quality product.

Me? I'm a fan of quality products.

Gibbs on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ok, so I've got a problem which I can't figure out. I have various objects which move along a 2D plane and when they get out of a certain range, they should start moving towards a target. I have the code below:
            public void Update(GameTime gameTime, Vector2 target, ref Level level)
            {
                if (gameTime.ElapsedGameTime.Milliseconds > 0)
                {
                    int ms = gameTime.ElapsedGameTime.Milliseconds;

// change direction to face target
                    if (target.X > Position.X)
                        Velocity.X += (acceleration / ms);
                    if (target.X < Position.X)
                        Velocity.X -= (acceleration / ms);

if (target.Y > Position.Y)
                        Velocity.Y += (acceleration / ms);
                    if (target.Y < Position.Y)
                        Velocity.Y -= (acceleration / ms);

// Clamp to max velocity
                    if (Velocity.X > MaxVelocity && Velocity.X > 0)
                        Velocity.X = MaxVelocity;
                    if (Velocity.X < -MaxVelocity && Velocity.X < 0)
                        Velocity.X = -MaxVelocity;

if (Velocity.Y > MaxVelocity && Velocity.Y > 0)
                        Velocity.Y = MaxVelocity;
                    if (Velocity.Y < -MaxVelocity && Velocity.Y < 0)
                        Velocity.Y = -MaxVelocity;

// Keep record of old position
                    Vector2 oldPosition = Position;
                    // Move forward
                    Position += (Velocity / ms);
                    // Check if there was a collision
                    if(CheckCollision(ref level))
                        Position = oldPosition; // If so, then revert to old position
                }
            }

MaxVelocity = 30
    When I set acceleration to 16 and above everything works great. If I set acceleration to 15 and below it stops working. The objects keep moving but they just keep going until they hit something, they never change their direction to the target. Has anyone got any suggestions on this?

Scroffus on
  • Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Scroffus wrote: »
    Ok, so I've got a problem which I can't figure out. I have various objects which move along a 2D plane and when they get out of a certain range, they should start moving towards a target. I have the code below:

MaxVelocity = 30
    When I set acceleration to 16 and above everything works great. If I set acceleration to 15 and below it stops working. The objects keep moving but they just keep going until they hit something, they never change their direction to the target. Has anyone got any suggestions on this?

ms is an int, and most likely ms=16 or 17 for a 60 FPS game. Since you're using integer math, accel/ms will get rounded down to zero if accel<16. Convert either acceleration or ms to a float and you should be good.

Izzimach on
This discussion has been closed.