As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

mouth ulcer just won't die

burntheladleburntheladle Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a mouth ulcer, about the size of my pinky nail, on the inside of the front my bottom lip. There's a second, much smaller one tucked away further back as well, but it's the big one that concerns me. It's making it painful to do anything - eat, drink, sometimes talk.

It's been there for about a week. I've been washing it with very salty water after every meal, and before I go to bed. Once that's dried, I put anti-bacterial mouth ulcer cream on it. It worked to an extent (it's now closed over with white stuff, instead of being a raw gaping wound), but it's not getting any smaller and it hasn't shown any improvement in the last few days.

My mother wants me to go to the doctor and "get something" for it. Is there anything the doctor will be able to give me that is better than what a chemist could/what I'm already doing? Is there anything else I should try to kill it with?

What would Zombie Pirate LeChuck Do?
burntheladle on

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There’s probably nothing that a doctor can do. Oral sores are usually either viral or caused by some kind of allergic reaction, and they can take a few weeks to heal.

supabeast on
  • Options
    BistiboyBistiboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Swishing salt water about every ten minutes is what works for me. I hate these nasty things.

Bistiboy on
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What works for me is taking a teaspoon or so of iodized salt and pouring it in between your gums and the affected area on your lip. Leave it there for several minutes then rinse. It will hurt like a bitch at first but mine always go away a day or so later.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Your toothpaste might be causing it. Try getting an all natural toothpaste. The chemical that manufacturers put in toothpaste to make it foamy in your mouth is known to cause sores.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Get deglycerinated (sp?) licorice tablets (not capsules). Place one of these on the sore until it dissolves. I have chronic cankers and these work well for me. You can also go to your doctor and they can use silver nitrate to cauterize the sore. It hurts like a bitch but it gets the job done. I usually call ahead and make sure the doctor's office has it in stock.

Walter on
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lemon juice has helped some of mine. Lemon juice, salt water, and peroxide/water mix.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Dr probably won't do a whole lot. I went to the dentist once, because I thought something was wrong with my tooth along with the giant annoying mouth ulcer. Nope...turns out that it was just effecting the nerves that went into my tooth on that side making the whole half of my face hurt.

He didn't do much except tell me to get some of that over the counter numbing/healing stuff for cold sores and give it time.

Also, be aware that they tend to come back in the same place repeatedly. I'm suffering from a return of that bad one right now :-/. Usually this is triggered by stress(haha, because that's when you need to deal with a painful mouth ulcer, right?), anyway when you notice it coming back just be really careful not to aggravate it and use medicines/treatments early and it hopefully will not get as big or bad as this time.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Try 50\50 peroxide-listerine.

Knocks em right out when i get em.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'm hoping that after 3 years this thing went away.

Edit: I swear I didn't resurrect this thread :oops: The original resurrecting person got booted and now I'm left to twiddle my thumbs.

Raif Severance on
This discussion has been closed.