Options

Sarah Palin: She could have been your freaking VP

• Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    As a random US citizen I'm pretty horrified that it was even possible that someone as unknowledgeable as Obama made it as far as president elect.

And I've made my changes.

Us Columbia students tend to be pretty dumb. That's why no one wants to go here.

EDIT: fuck. You corrected yourself. But it's not like "unknowns" haven't been very successful in American Politics. They just generally have to prove themselves to their constituents VERY quickly when running.

EDIT#2: Obama has been well known since about 2004 amongst Democrats. Though I think we all know you aren't one, so I can understand him coming a bit more out of left field for you.

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As a random US citizen I'm pretty horrified that it was even possible that someone as unknowledgeable as Obama made it as far as president elect.

You are just adorable.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarah Palin was pretty much the most terrifying thing that has happened to happen in American politics in my memory. Scarier than the patriot act, warrantless wiretapping, war seemingly without end, and a collapse of the functioning economy was the idea that someone who was not only so obviously out of her league, but also so vitriolic, selfish and just plain nasty, was to be the most powerful human being on earth.
    Also, is it true that her religious beliefs say that Israel has to be at war with the neighboring Muslim countries for the end of the world to take place? Seems like I heard this somewhere, and that really was scary to me, but it could have been rumormongering

Duffel on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ringo wrote: »

You are just adorable.

My fault, I made an error of comprehension.

Also I'm gonna go ahead and get rid of the signature because what's done is done and there's not a whole lot I can do about it anymore.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Oooh, oooh, is it time for the post loss everyone vent about shit phase of the campaign? These are always So Much Fun!

"Loooseerrrsss! LOOOSSEEERRSS!" - Randy Marsh

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Duffel wrote: »
    Also, is it true that her religious beliefs say that Israel has to be at war with the neighboring Muslim countries for the end of the world to take place? Seems like I heard this somewhere, and that really was scary to me, but it could have been rumormongering

This is true of any Christian that believes in armageddon. That's how it's foretold in Revalations.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

You are just adorable.

Also I'm gonna go ahead and get rid of the signature because what's done is done and there's not a whole lot I can do about it anymore.

You could build a bomb-shelter in your basement and fill it with guns. Or move to Canada. Or you could continue to go to work and be productive, maybe try to encourage your party to produce better candidates.

Edit: Because that's the thing, it's not like liberal ideas won the election. The democrat just appealed to a bigger chunk of the middle this time.

Edit 2: And didn't declare Palin as his runningmate, which is basically exactly when McCain's campaign fell to shit. I almost want to give her credit for Obama's win.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I also wonder if Sarah Palin can name all the fifty states...
    Most people can't. It can be real hard to remember Delaware for instance.

Yar on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

This is true of any Christian that believes in armageddon. That's how it's foretold in Revalations.

Yes. But Palin is one of the Christians who believe we are currently living in the end of times and should be actively trying to trigger the rapture.

psychotix on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

You are just adorable.

You could build a bomb-shelter in your basement and fill it with guns. Or move to Canada. Or you could continue to go to work and be productive, maybe try to encourage your party to produce better candidates.

I love by the way that there are no countries that bitter Republicans can move into. Everything else is either a shithole or a place that is more progressive and left-oriented then the United States is. They just have to stay and whine like pathetic little babies while everyone else is happy, positive and voted for the smart, competent candidate.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    psychotix wrote: »

Yes. But Palin is one of the Christians who believe we are currently living in the end of times and should be actively trying to trigger the rapture.

Welcome to the beliefs of about 40% of America, last I checked. And that's a conservative estimate. She's no worse than my neighbors.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yar wrote: »

Well, I probably couldn't do it without a map to look at. Like, if I tried to just list them all, I'd almost certainly miss a couple.

With a map? I can easily name every state, and most capitals. And I expect the same of anybody who might think they're going to take a leadership position in my country.
    I love by the way that there are no countries that bitter Republicans can move into. Everything else is either a shithole or a place that is more progressive and left-oriented then the United States is. They just have to stay and whine like pathetic little babies while everyone else is happy, positive and voted for the smart, competent candidate.

You'd think eventually they might consider the implications of this...but nooooooooooo...

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think every branch of Christianity believes in Jesus' eventual return to earth and a bunch of crazy stuff that happens around that time.
    But I'm talking about an actual guns n' bullets war between the modern, physical nation of Israel and its Muslim Arab neighbors. I'm not talking about an eventual world-ending battle found in eschatology - I'm talking about a real war that they think is going to take place in the immediate future.
    Because this concept scared the living crap out of me. The idea that innocent people, both in Israel and the countries around it, could be used as pawns as she tried to goad them into fulfilling her conception what it takes to bring about the end of the world...it's just beyond words. With her, of course, the All-Alaskan Hockey Mom, presiding over it all as God's Anointed One, with an American flag in one hand and Hal Lindsey in the other...
    It's enough to give you chills.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So what is that point of this thread? Are we just theorizing on things that Palin might believe, or might not know, based on stringing together flimsy second-hand quotes with our own exaggerated notions of her character? This seems like a huge circle-jerk without much substance.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I always forget about Wisconsin. It's always the last state I remeber...but I'm Finnish. I'm pretty sure most of Americans are able to remember all of the states of their own country...right...? D:

Edit: With a map, of course. I can name them out of memory if I have a pen and paper, but it takes like a hour or so.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the motive behind some supporters of our aid to Israel, unfortunately.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think every branch of Christianity believes in Jesus' eventual return to earth and a bunch of crazy stuff that happens around that time.
    But I'm talking about an actual guns n' bullets war between the modern, physical nation of Israel and its Muslim Arab neighbors. I'm not talking about an eventual world-ending battle found in eschatology - I'm talking about a real war that they think is going to take place in the immediate future.
    Because this concept scared the living crap out of me. The idea that innocent people, both in Israel and the countries around it, could be used as pawns as she tried to goad them into fulfilling her conception what it takes to bring about the end of the world...it's just beyond words. With her, of course, the All-Alaskan Hockey Mom, presiding over it all as God's Anointed One, with an American flag in one hand and Hal Lindsey in the other...
    It's enough to give you chills.

Evangelical Christians, man. They're the worst thing that ever happened to American politics and they're growing.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I always forget about Wisconsin. It's always the last state I remeber...but I'm Finnish. I'm pretty sure most of Americans are able to remember all of the states of their own country...right...? D:
    No, it's actually a nice party trick to ask someone, particularly someone who ought to know, to name all 50. Unless you've specifically practiced recalling all 50 from memory, at the very least it takes a long time to do it. Wisconsin is a good one... after you've got Michigan and Minnesota you tend to think you've already said Wisconsin.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So what is that point of this thread? Are we just theorizing on things that Palin might believe, or might not know, based on stringing together flimsy second-hand quotes with our own exaggerated notions of her character? This seems like a huge circle-jerk without much substance.
    I figure we should have some post-election thread where we all can express our happiness for the fact that this woman did not become the Vice President of the United States.

Honestly, substance was never the point. :P

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, the "Is Palin Stupid" question won't result in much.

What will be interesting to watch are the people who run out and blame her for everything (fault aside, since someone should have, you know, vetted her), the people who pitched her defending her, and the people who honestly think she's the new face of the republican party, and is an amazing sharp woman who will promptly shit all over the first group.

It's going to be a fun month or two of fallout.

kildy on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    She often can't even string together words to form a proper sentence. It is kind of hard to exaggerate that kind of crap.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, substance was never the point. :P
    So yeah, a big circle-jerk. The Sarah Palin thread was locked for a reason, I'd assume.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

What will be interesting to watch are the people who run out and blame her for everything (fault aside, since someone should have, you know, vetted her), the people who pitched her defending her, and the people who honestly think she's the new face of the republican party, and is an amazing sharp woman who will promptly shit all over the first group.

I'm pretty sure these reports coming out are the part of the Republican plan to put the blame on her...she's going to be crushed by both sides.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Whee, scapegoats. She's at least a deserving scapegoat, but yeah, they'll be using this to try to hide the fact that the party is absolutely full of this kind of garbage.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Evangelical Christians, man. They're the worst thing that ever happened to American politics and they're growing.
    'Evangelicals' is perhaps too broad a term. Some of my best friends are evangelicals, my parents are evangelicals, I think this guy is an evangelical, and these people voted for Obama, because they knew it was the wisest thing to do, and they knew Sarah Palin was insane.
    There is no doubt, however, that Pentecostal groups are rapidly growing - not just in the United States but even more so in other countries, especially developing countries with widespread poverty and despair.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, it's actually a nice party trick to ask someone, particularly someone who ought to know, to name all 50. Unless you've specifically practiced recalling all 50 from memory, at the very least it takes a long time to do it. Wisconsin is a good one... after you've got Michigan and Minnesota you tend to think you've already said Wisconsin.

Yeah, in order to have any chance I have to mentally picture a map and start working from the Washington, then down and over in pseudo-columns. I'm usually alright until I get past the Mississippi, after which I'm bound to forget one.

But given a map and the ability to check them off, it's easy. Like, retardedly so.

Naming 50 of anything isn't exactly going to be easy.

Of course, I can also name most of the countries and capitals (as well as place them on a map) of Europe as well...I only have issues with the ones that have emerged since I took geography (which was over fifteen years ago). I can name most of the countries in Asia, most in South America, and maybe half of Africa. And I consider myself inadequate because I can't do better. Even though I would probably devastate Palin on a head-to-head test. Even if she had time to prepare.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'm pretty sure these reports coming out are the part of the Republican plan to put the blame on her...she's going to be crushed by both sides.

Well that's good. She's nuts and fucking retarded, she shouldn't be the leader of anything that matters. I don't care HOW it's done, her political career needs to die now.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Whee, scapegoats. She's at least a deserving scapegoat, but yeah, they'll be using this to try to hide the fact that the party is absolutely full of this kind of garbage.

Maybe it's the beginning of a return to the William F. Buckley sort of conservatism? I mean, they're still wrong, but at least they're not marked by being anti-intellectual bigots that divert attention from real issues and abuse stupid, plain-as-day shit to get elected.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually, according to my inside sources (that is, Left Behind), the nation of Israel is supposed to get attacked by the combined forces of Russia and Ethiopia.

But only after the Temple in Jerusalem gets rebuilt. Which might take a while, I think.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »

Yeah, in order to have any chance I have to mentally picture a map and start working from the Washington, then down and over in pseudo-columns. I'm usually alright until I get past the Mississippi, after which I'm bound to forget one.

But given a map and the ability to check them off, it's easy. Like, retardedly so.

Naming 50 of anything isn't exactly going to be easy.

Of course, I can also name most of the countries and capitals (as well as place them on a map) of Europe as well...I only have issues with the ones that have emerged since I took geography (which was over fifteen years ago). I can name most of the countries in Asia, most in South America, and maybe half of Africa. And I consider myself inadequate because I can't do better. Even though I would probably devastate Palin on a head-to-head test. Even if she had time to prepare.

These are some good tests:
    http://www.sporcle.com/games/category/geography

I can do U.S., Europe and Asia. Africa, South America, Oceania (freaking island countries that you have never heard of) are still pretty bad for me.

Seriously, they should have had Sarah Palin spend a day or so in that site.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Better hope that Tubes Stevens lead doesn't hold up in Alaska (a lot of ballots left outstanding). Because if he wins, he either resigns or is expelled. If that happens there's a special election in 90 days and guess who will probably run and win?

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Actually, according to my inside sources (that is, Left Behind), the nation of Israel is supposed to get attacked by the combined forces of Russia and Ethiopia.

But only after the Temple in Jerusalem gets rebuilt. Which might take a while, I think.
    Some lunatic from Austalia actually tried to set the Dome of the Rock on fire back in the 60's for this very purpose. I had heard Palin had the same sorts of beliefs, and was wondering if that was true. Because if it is, once again, it's absolutely terrifying that she was that close to the big chair.

Duffel on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Better hope that Tubes Stevens lead doesn't hold up in Alaska (a lot of ballots left outstanding). Because if he wins, he either resigns or is expelled. If that happens there's a special election in 90 days and guess who will probably run and win?

Wait, the Governor doesn't appoint the new senator?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Maybe it's the beginning of a return to the William F. Buckley sort of conservatism? I mean, they're still wrong, but at least they're not marked by being anti-intellectual bigots that divert attention from real issues and abuse stupid, plain-as-day shit to get elected.
    I think this is a more interesting discussion. As for them being "wrong" LOL, but whatever, the idea is that they were, for all history in memory, a minority. Only by using religion to co-opt the working class away from the Dems were they able to achieve power, but religion used in that sort of political manner tends to elicit a rather viral destruction of all that is good. Anti-intellectualism and silly social grandstand issues very quickly consumed them. Not to mention that a whole bunch of greedy new politicians rode in on the wave of Republicanism and promptly started gorging themselves on power.

Yar on
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Some lunatic from Austalia actually tried to set the Dome of the Rock on fire back in the 60's for this very purpose. I had heard Palin had the same sorts of beliefs, and was wondering if that was true. Because if it is, once again, it's absolutely terrifying that she was that close to the big chair.

She does have those same beliefs. She's even commented on her belief that Alaska will be some sort of refuge for the believers and they need to be ready.

psychotix on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gotta have a scapegoat... might as well have one who isn't established enough to be able to fight back.

GungHo on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Not in Alaska, thanks to the blatant nepotism of the previous governor.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As a random foreign observer I'm pretty horrified that it was even possible that someone as unknowledgeable as Palin made it as far as VP candidate.

Where were you 20 years ago? The guy we elected VP back then wasn't exactly splitting atoms, either.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The "I've heard Palin thinks..." stuff is just pathetic. Really.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

Not anymore.

They had an issue.

Last Governor appointed his own...daughter, right? People decided that was uncool.

mcdermott on
This discussion has been closed.