Options

Sarah Palin: She could have been your freaking VP

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Better hope that Tubes Stevens lead doesn't hold up in Alaska (a lot of ballots left outstanding). Because if he wins, he either resigns or is expelled. If that happens there's a special election in 90 days and guess who will probably run and win?

Wait, the Governor doesn't appoint the new senator?

Not in Alaska, thanks to the blatant nepotism of the previous governor.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. I want her as far away from anything of national importance as possible.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Better hope that Tubes Stevens lead doesn't hold up in Alaska (a lot of ballots left outstanding). Because if he wins, he either resigns or is expelled. If that happens there's a special election in 90 days and guess who will probably run and win?

Not anymore.

They had an issue.

Last Governor appointed his own...daughter, right? People decided that was uncool.

Daughter still won reelection.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    The "I've heard Palin thinks..." stuff is just pathetic. Really.

Especially since she's already said enough blatantly misinformed and jaw-dropping stupid shit in front of reporters that going into the rumor pile is just overkill at this point.

Exactly how much of a Dominionist Palin actually is doesn't scare me as much as her complete mis-interpretation of the First Amendment, for example.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe it's the beginning of a return to the William F. Buckley sort of conservatism? I mean, they're still wrong, but at least they're not marked by being anti-intellectual bigots that divert attention from real issues and abuse stupid, plain-as-day shit to get elected.
    I think this is a more interesting discussion. As for them being "wrong" LOL, but whatever, the idea is that they were, for all history in memory, a minority. Only by using religion to co-opt the working class away from the Dems were they able to achieve power, but religion used in that sort of political manner tends to elicit a rather viral destruction of all that is good. Anti-intellectualism and silly social grandstand issues very quickly consumed them. Not to mention that a whole bunch of greedy new politicians rode in on the wave of Republicanism and promptly started gorging themselves on power.

The Invisible Hand just throws a giant middle finger at the majority. Economic developments recently and in the past have showed that they're wrong - at least as it applies to Western societies - but I'd still much rather be yelling at them than tiring myself out with the douchenozzles that supported Palin.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't think it's pathetic at all when you realize the implications of it.
    This is not an academic or strictly religious debate. If we were endlessly bitching back in forth on whether Joe Biden or JFK believed the wine and bread was transubstantiated into flesh and blood during the Eucharist, then yes, it would be pathetic and lame.
    Palin's beliefs, though, could have had a very real and very, very dangerous impact on the way she approached foreign policy. If she actually thought - and I mean, really, deeply believed with a sense of religious conviction - that Israel needed to enter a massive and quite literally world-ending war, what in the hell makes you think she wouldn't have tried to work toward that end as commander-in-chief?

Duffel on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know, maybe Alaska seceding isn't such a bad idea.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »

Especially since she's already said enough blatantly misinformed and jaw-dropping stupid shit in front of reporters that going into the rumor pile is just overkill at this point.

Exactly how much of a Dominionist Palin actually is doesn't scare me as much as her complete mis-interpretation of the First Amendment, for example.

or "The Vice President is in charge of the Senate".

Daedalus on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Not anymore.

They had an issue.

Last Governor appointed his own...daughter, right? People decided that was uncool.

Daughter still won reelection.

So did Stevens. Doesn't mean it's a "good thing."

Agreed. Especially when you get into the wilder claims. Talking about her general lack of knowledge, on geography, civics, world politics, whatever is kinda fun, and sure some of the flying rumors now make it more so. But only because in most cases she has said enough in interviews and elsewhere to make them plausible. Like a staggering lack of knowledge in basic civics, particularly for somebody who's pretty high up on the government hierarchy.

But it's not like I'm going to believe somebody that tells me she claimed to have invented the question mark, or anything.

EDIT: This is why, for instance, I dismiss the "olol Africa's a country" thing. May be true, but seems more like petty backbiting to me. But staggering lack of understanding of civics and geography? Man, we already knew that, right from her own mouth.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Re: the new old conservative party: It would be nice. At least when you have two smart groups with different ideas on how shit should work, you get a reasonable discourse and understand the issue better.

The flaw in the current system is that the sides may disagree on how to do things, but the discourse is all fingers in ears yelling random inappropriate buzzwords to try and associate shit incorrectly in voter's minds.

kildy on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This, when read correctly, is hilarious.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never hated a politician as much as I hated Palin. it was a very visceral reaction. hate her so much.

It probably started because she was such an incredibly cynical pick for VP.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish I could get to the pictures from work, but the 4channers dug up Palin's SAT scores and an IQ test she took in high school. I wanna say her SAT score was in the 800s and her IQ was 85.

Damn you internet work filter!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    somehow I doubt 4chan is a credible source...

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wish I could get to the pictures from work, but the 4channers dug up Palin's SAT scores and an IQ test she took in high school. I wanna say her SAT score was in the 800s and her IQ was 85.

We've seen it and questioned its authenticity.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Yeah but the pictures are of the actual test results.

Granted, could be photoshopped and all, but it looked like a pretty legit scan to me.

They're on her page on Encyclopedia Dramatica too, but that's blocked of course because it is TOTALLY NSFW.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wonder if you can source 4chan on wikipedia.

Anyways, things like that aren't needed. The interesting conversation is also that if McCain's people knew all this about her, and decided to hush it the fuck up in order to win an election, that's a massive failure in leadership and putting country waaaay away from first.

And then having the nerve to tell newspapers that violating source agreements on documents is totally required for the political discourse? And you sit on THIS shit?

kildy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, pretty sure those were fake. We've seen them.

I wish I could say "absolutely sure," but she is pretty fucking dumb.
    No, really, they're fake.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

What better source than the ones who hacked her e-mail?

necroSYS on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never hated a politician as much as I hated Palin. it was a very visceral reaction. hate her so much.

It probably started because she was such an incredibly cynical pick for VP.
    Well, that wasn't really her fault, now was it?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    Re: the new old conservative party: It would be nice. At least when you have two smart groups with different ideas on how shit should work, you get a reasonable discourse and understand the issue better.

The flaw in the current system is that the sides may disagree on how to do things, but the discourse is all fingers in ears yelling random inappropriate buzzwords to try and associate shit incorrectly in voter's minds.
    No, the problem with the current discourse is that one side of the political spectrum has discovered that it can't dominate the discourse without resorting to bullshit non-issues and defaming the other side in a blatant pander to the ignorance vote. If we could get both sides to act like adults and discuss actual policies and issues rather than having one of them scream at the other for being unAmerican baby-killers during debates on energy policy we might actually get something done occasionally.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What results?

Magus` on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, pretty sure those were fake. We've seen them.

I wish I could say "absolutely sure," but she is pretty fucking dumb.
    No, really, they're fake.

Link(Possibly NSFW on that site haven't looked closely)
    Yeah fake. Reason #214: SSN is for Alaska but she was born in Idaho.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    EDIT: This is why, for instance, I dismiss the "olol Africa's a country" thing. May be true, but seems more like petty backbiting to me. But staggering lack of understanding of civics and geography? Man, we already knew that, right from her own mouth.

I could easily see the "Africa is a country" thing coming from the slightly more plausible "South Africa is a continent" mixup they've also talked about her making.

Really, it's something out of a Karl Marx Brothers movie. "Well, South America is a continent, so South Africa is as well." "No, South Africa is a country." "Africa is a country?" "No, South Africa is a country, Africa is a continent, your running mate is incontinent." "Thassa right, boss." *honk*

Although my bewilderment at someone like Palin getting close to VP is somewhat nullified by remembering that our own Minister of Culture said that his favorite opera was Phantom Of The. And then he got promoted...

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008
    For me, once I saw the interview where she refused to condemn abortion clinic bombers the election was over.

Tube on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I know, so absurd that the President of the Senate was referred to as being in charge of the Senate. An overstatement of the significance of that role, sure. But VPs both preside over the Senate (in a very limited fashion) and act as a lobbyist for the Administration in the Senate, so her enthusiasm wasn't so far off the mark. Biden's comparable comment was that he said his role as VP would be to get Congress to go along with Obama's policy plans. And he messed up quoting the Constitution about Cheney's role as VP.

Oh and guess which VP candiate made this cluster of a comment:

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

Be honest. If Palin had said that stream of nonsense you guys would have been raging about it.

Yar on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know, so absurd that the President of the Senate was referred to as being in charge of the Senate. An overstatement of the significance of that role, sure. But VPs both preside over the Senate (in a very limited fashion) and act as a lobbyist for the Administration in the Senate, so her enthusiasm wasn't so far off the mark. Biden's comparable comment was that he said his role as VP would be to get Congress to go along with Obama's policy plans. And he messed up quoting the Constitution about Cheney's role as VP.

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the princes of greed," Biden told Couric. "He said, 'Look, here's what happened.'"

Be honest. If Palin had said that stream of nonsense you guys would have been raging about it.

I wouldn't say "raging". We would have pointed and laughed, certainly, but we did that for Biden, too.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    OmegasquashOmegasquash Boston, MARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    For me, once I saw the interview where she refused to condemn abortion clinic bombers the election was over.

That's something that I hadn't heard about at all, and I kept a pretty close eye on the election. Be that as it may, just...wow.

How can someone run for office that refuses to condone what are (in some cases) killers. It's mind boggling. But tasty enough to make me want to rub my family's face in it. Could you link that?

Omegasquash on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I forgot about that one too. There are so many stupid things she said that I have a hard time remembering them all.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2008
    You know, I'd sort of like to see Palin elected to the Senate. We're going to get some batshit-crazy Republican from there anyway, right? At least Palin would be amusing. And after this election, do you really think even the staunch conservative Republicans are going to give her the time of day? She's an idiot, she's inept, she has no people skills, and she's a total bitch. She'd generate nothing but a deluge of amusing anecdotes.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I forgot about that one too. There are so many stupid things she said that I have a hard time remembering them all.

Those trade missions to Russia must've taken a lot of diplomatic negotiations on her part.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For example, she didn't know that Africa was a continent. Yeah, that is right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC1qkLn6IRI

I didn't hear Africa!

Also, we need to update this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvy0wRLD5s8&feature=related

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Palin completely folded during a Katie Couric interview. Katie Couric

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That's something that I hadn't heard about at all, and I kept a pretty close eye on the election. Be that as it may, just...wow.

How can someone run for office that refuses to condone what are (in some cases) killers. It's mind boggling. But tasty enough to make me want to rub my family's face in it. Could you link that?
    It was an interview she and McCain did together, I can't remember what station. She got asked about the Ayers thing, and then whether she also condemned those people that blew up women and doctors at clinics. She said something to the effect that it isn't terrorism unless it targets a government facility or somesuch. You know, bullshit hackery.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

the very religious right makes that logical disconnect all the time. Human life is precious! Terrorism is bad! Bomb abortion clinics!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2008

I can't unfortunately. I saw it on Fox as it happened. It was on the "Obama is buddies with terrorists row" and the interviewer said "Would you similarly condemn for instance, the bombers of abortion clinics as terrorists?" and she sat and ummed and ahed and brought the subject back to obama and the question was asked again I think three times while Mccain stared at her and looked five seconds away from saying "OF COURSE YOU CONDEMN IT YOU STUPID BITCH JUST SAY IT NO ONE CARES IF YOU FUCKING BELIEVE IT JUST FUCKING SAY IT THIS IS POLITICS"

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I wouldn't say "raging". We would have pointed and laughed, certainly, but we did that for Biden, too.

Yeah, I remember some people poking quite a bit of fun at him for that. I think the difference is that Biden's fuck-ups (like that one) often didn't seem like they'd have any policy effect, or that they came from a basic lack of understanding of civics. They were just dumb mistakes.

Palin had her share of simple dumb mistakes, too, but they were both more common and then there were plenty of significant mistakes strewn about along with t hem.

No shit. This is like, the definition of terrorism. The use of violence to instill fear so as to influence or coerce policy towards a political or ideological end.

When abortion clinic bombers and their supporters are a demographic that your candidate is afraid of offending or alienating, you are voting for the wrong motherfucking person.
    You know, I'd sort of like to see Palin elected to the Senate. We're going to get some batshit-crazy Republican from there anyway, right? At least Palin would be amusing. And after this election, do you really think even the staunch conservative Republicans are going to give her the time of day? She's an idiot, she's inept, she has no people skills, and she's a total bitch. She'd generate nothing but a deluge of amusing anecdotes.

No shit. She'd be like Uncle Tubes 2: Tubes Harder!

mcdermott on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Palin completely folded during a Katie Couric interview. Katie Couric

In all fairness, Katie Couric is like the Chris Hansen of politicians.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Look upon the fate we narrowly avoided, and weep.

EDIT: Basically if you listen to the whole thing (well, the whole excerpt) what she's saying is that abortion clinic doctors aren't "innocent Americans," so while she doesn't condone bombing them doing so is not an act of terrorism.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

I'm failing to see how that's a dumb thing to say unless Roosevelt really did only talk about princes of greed at that point. Either way why wouldn't talking about what happened be a good thing? And how is it comparable to refusing to condemn people who vote on healthcare issues with pipe-bombs?

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2008
    When abortion clinic bombers and their supporters are a demographic that your candidate is afraid of offending or alienating, you are voting for the wrong motherfucking person.

In her defense, the exit polls show she got 89% of the abortion clinic bomber vote.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
This discussion has been closed.