As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Oh yeah. Slob those Knobs.

• Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    Wait. They killed Hovercast?!
    I think hovercast was removed
    Fixed an issue with the targeting system that could be used by players to gain an unfair advantage. Targeting of friendly players will now work in the same way as using abilities. Players must either use a keyboard key or click with the mouse to acquire a friendly target. To target a monster or NPC, players must click on the target in the world or /assist a friendly player. Players using our default user interface should see no change as a result of this fix.

Addons can use TargetPlayer(), the function responsible for targeting a player by name, but not without direct input. As long as each action from Hovercast corresponds to a key press or mouse click, it should be fine. I say "should be" because it might be that you're only allowed to perform one such restricted action per hardware event, so you could either target or cast, not both, which would kind of defeat the purpose of Hovercast.

It's supposed to be 1 click/keypress = 1 action. Hovercast allows 2 actions (change target + cast) with the press of one button. Apparently there are also some emergency monitor type mods out there that, when combined with Hovercast, allow people to just leave their mouse pointer over one frame to automatically heal the lowest health person.

grrarg on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you sure it's supposed to be 1:1 hardware event to action? I've not seen that stated anywhere, although it does seem likely. Regardless, they changed the targeting system because addons were autotargeting lowest health players for healing and other naughty automations, not because they wanted to break "cast on the target you're pointing the cursor at". That's a side effect.

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Witch Hunter love! Can't wait for 1.05!

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BlackGuards making it into 1.05s, mebbie? Or do we have to wait for 1.1?

KiTA on
  • Options
    HiravaxisHiravaxis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    BlackGuards making it into 1.05s, mebbie? Or do we have to wait for 1.1?
    They're supposed to be playable some time after Dec 1st by the guys who got elite level heavy metal INF.
    Then the regular shlebs get to play a week after the poopsockers. So that translates into sometime between the 7th and end of Dec.

So, I imagine that 1.05 will be out before that.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2008
    uuh, they're available to people who got elite heavy metal influence

and also special people like robothero

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OH, I screwed that up.
    Thanks's Robot, I'll fix my post.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Saeris wrote: »
    Are you sure it's supposed to be 1:1 hardware event to action? I've not seen that stated anywhere, although it does seem likely. Regardless, they changed the targeting system because addons were autotargeting lowest health players for healing and other naughty automations, not because they wanted to break "cast on the target you're pointing the cursor at". That's a side effect.

Yeah, it's intended to be 1:1. The UI guy posted about it on the beta boards during beta.

grrarg on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seriously, PA has it's own expo ffs, why not come over here and have some discussion. Some of the EQ devs would visit all of the community forums, not just pander to one - especially the worst one around. I refuse to visit VN, and I appreciate you guys posting that stuff here. Mark needs to dislodge his head from his ass and find another board to post at - if the intelligent posters won't come to you, then go to them.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    Seriously, PA has it's own expo ffs, why not come over here and have some discussion. Some of the EQ devs would visit all of the community forums, not just pander to one - especially the worst one around. I refuse to visit VN, and I appreciate you guys posting that stuff here. Mark needs to dislodge his head from his ass and find another board to post at - if the intelligent posters won't come to you, then go to them.

Good arguement for why we are the superior community.

That said.

Raptor mount, sup. Now I have a Magus at 20 and a DoK at 20.

Anyone interested in starting up a duoing character? Im down for any destro char that is not a magus or DoK or Sorc. We could just play the duo when the other person is around and try to make a horrific impact on tier 1/2 scenarios.

Also, I like long walks on the beach.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think Mark doesn't want to drag a load of Internet Tough Guys and mouthbreathers to more community-oriented boards like PA.

Starmanbrand; I'd tank for you. Under the stars.

22/18/C

Also, I'm compelled to try to get as much influence as possible for any event called Heavy Metal.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Starmanbrand; I'd tank for you. Under the stars.
    22/18/C
    Also, I'm compelled to try to get as much influence as possible for any event called Heavy Metal.

So what class would be best for a tank? I love the look of zealots, squig herders, and mauraders.

I would also be interesting in starting a proper alt guild. T7M is more like "Ok, all other alts get tossed in here" rather than a "Hey, were all on alts, we should try to level together to make stacked SCs and PQs."

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    With the expected trimming down after the free month and move (and upcoming Lich King, I'd presume), we're likely going to bring alts back in the Mouths.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, while I am tempted to try out the DOT line for Sorc again, I'd imagine for PvE, I'd still rather sit with AE until I hit rank 40.

Any other sorcs have preferences on RvR builds?

It seems like AE is good for keep defense/assault while DOT/DD would be better for scenarios or open RvR.

Ardor on
  • Options
    TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

• Blessed Bullets of Confession: The damage of this ability has increased, and this ability is now available at rank 9.

There is a god, and he loves Witch Hunters!

Tuesday on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Er... Sigmar?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TuesdayTuesday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I blame my forgetfulness on recent forays into Destruction, may Sigmar forgive me.

Tuesday on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I officially call the first meeting of the Altoholics Anonymous to order!
    *gavel smash*

Hello, my name is Fry, and I...I have a problem. :rotate:

Meeting adjourned - I'll never be cured.
    *gavel smash*

Fryhole on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find it sad that I'll be grinding on my Zealot, a scenario will pop, I'll forget I have Divine Fury on, and I'll still somehow outheal everyone else by a big margin in T2.

Whyyyy.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How do you guys know that Warhammer devs aren't already posting/reading here? Just because they don't have colored names and sigs that say HI GUYS I WORK FOR MYTHIC doesn't mean they don't exist.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ardor wrote: »
    Hmm, while I am tempted to try out the DOT line for Sorc again, I'd imagine for PvE, I'd still rather sit with AE until I hit rank 40.

Any other sorcs have preferences on RvR builds?

It seems like AE is good for keep defense/assault while DOT/DD would be better for scenarios or open RvR.

I tried out a full agony spec and how it'd work out at level 37 in Serpents Passage

it's very good, but it relies a lot on chance(crits + procs). If everything procs just right, you can get some nice burst going. Otherwise it's a decent build for staying very mobile at long range. Tonight I'll try out half Agony and half Calamity, to see if it offers better burst.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    I find it sad that I'll be grinding on my Zealot, a scenario will pop, I'll forget I have Divine Fury on, and I'll still somehow outheal everyone else by a big margin in T2.

Whyyyy.

Heh, this happens to me too on my Archmage. Got 130k healing on a Doomfist Crater. Only healer, but I had been trying a DPS spec so I had Divine Fury on.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So Mike Morhaime is claiming that 46% of those who left WoW for Warhammer have reactivated their accounts for WotLK. I can always count on the PA folks for straight answers. What is your sense of this? Have populations been dwindling? I'm pretty interested in the game (WAR) because it seems to cater to me in a way that WoW never did (massive, organized PvP built from the ground up) and will probably be picking up WAR in the next month or so, but I'm eager to hear what your sense of the game is at this juncture.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171176

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been seeing alot of that around, to be honest. People leaving for WoW, never logging back in, that sort of crap. Of course, there's a lot of people like you who love WAR because it gives us something that WoW never did, so it's not like everyone's running back to WoW, WAR will still have a lot of people.

Rend on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, many people will have left WoW for WAR(and maybe come back) without mentioning WAR in their little note, and many people who did mention that might have been lying because they were pissed at Blizzard. We also don't know how what the percentage of players in WAR had come from WoW when it was released.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How's red eye mountain so far? Haven't moved my destruction chars over yet, but I'm not staying on Ulthuan now that everybody jumped overboard.

I give LK a month - they'll be back.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So Mike Morhaime is claiming that 46% of those who left WoW for Warhammer have reactivated their accounts for WotLK. I can always count on the PA folks for straight answers. What is your sense of this? Have populations been dwindling? I'm pretty interested in the game (WAR) because it seems to cater to me in a way that WoW never did (massive, organized PvP built from the ground up) and will probably be picking up WAR in the next month or so, but I'm eager to hear what your sense of the game is at this juncture.

Most people I've encountered left WoW long before they had Warhammer listed.

46% of what number? And how long has Blizzard been collecting that info?

The community isn't significantly shrinking.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Most of the people I knew who left WAR for WoW were already planning on going back for WotLK, regardless of what they were currently playing (WAR, AoC, CoV, Aion etc.)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fryhole wrote: »
    How's red eye mountain so far? Haven't moved my destruction chars over yet, but I'm not staying on Ulthuan now that everybody jumped overboard.

I give LK a month - they'll be back.

Well, there were keep sieges going on and I stayed in a queue for no more than 5-10 minutes before a scenario popped (and they varied! It wasn't always one map). What's the server pop look like now? 16k+?

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't play WAR much anymore because it didn't really deliver on its promise of a game that I could get to 40 in by not grinding.

I wanted a game where I assaulted the keep of an enemy with a huge force of allies. Siege engines would be mixing chaos every which way on the battlefield. The doors would break, and there would be a massive bloodbath in the inside courtyard as defenders and NPCs desperately tried to repel the charging forces. After breaking through the players, Destruction's forces would push quickly to the End Raid Boss guy and try to down him before Order could remount a defense. Capturing something that took me 2-3 hours would yield a BIG reward and prestige for my entire side, as well as bonuses.

What I got was a clunky interface, repetitive PvE, and scenario based PvP. That keep that I just spent 2-3 hours capturing gets me 3k experience or so in T3, something I could earn in like 30 SECONDS out in PvE, with much better chances at loot. The bonuses for capturing a keep only apply in the general vicinity of a keep and not zone-wide, giving me - who has to PvE to get anywhere, you see - a decreased incentive to give a fuck when a friendly one comes under attack. Keep raids aren't even that interesting - it's the SAME GODDAMN THING EVERY TIME. Same door. Same oil. Same lame stupid stairway that's fucking impossible to bypass so you just get manhandled by AoE until it gets late enough that Order starts logging off. Then you fight a 'meh' boss and get too-few bags for like 40+ people that were there. Then, when you should have the top contribution and a really great chance at those gold bags, some douchebag that just arrived gets top Cont somehow and takes it. And you get nothing.

I still play War occasionally, but I bought it with the understanding that rewarding PvP wouldn't be limited to scarios. They say they're going to fix that, and I hope they do, because right now world PvP is really fucking boring.

Edit: lawl incomprehensible rant /off

(Oh, and mix up the keeps for God's sake.)

Dac on
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Out of all my friends I know who left WoW for WAR, only one quit WAR and went back to WoW.

Out of all my guildmates, only one quit WAR and went back to WoW, and that's because his RL friends were staying in WoW, he said he liked the gameplay of WAR better.

I think WAR is doing just fine.

Constrictor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dac; did you quit WoW in the past year or so?

Edit: also, fuck Blizzard and this Morhaime guy. He should just shut the fuck up and get back to churning out shit derivitave-of-derivitave games.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    I don't play WAR much anymore because it didn't really deliver on its promise of a game that I could get to 40 in by not grinding.

I wanted a game where I assaulted the keep of an enemy with a huge force of allies. Siege engines would be mixing chaos every which way on the battlefield. The doors would break, and there would be a massive bloodbath in the inside courtyard as defenders and NPCs desperately tried to repel the charging forces. After breaking through the players, Destruction's forces would push quickly to the End Raid Boss guy and try to down him before Order could remount a defense. Capturing something that took me 2-3 hours would yield a BIG reward and prestige for my entire side, as well as bonuses.

What I got was a clunky interface, repetitive PvE, and scenario based PvP. That keep that I just spent 2-3 hours capturing gets me 3k experience or so in T3, something I could earn in like 30 SECONDS out in PvE, with much better chances at loot. The bonuses for capturing a keep only apply in the general vicinity of a keep and not zone-wide, giving me - who has to PvE to get anywhere, you see - a decreased incentive to give a fuck when a friendly one comes under attack. Keep raids aren't even that interesting - it's the SAME GODDAMN THING EVERY TIME. Same door. Same oil. Same lame stupid stairway that's fucking impossible to bypass so you just get manhandled by AoE until it gets late enough that Order starts logging off. Then you fight a 'meh' boss and get too-few bags for like 40+ people that were there. Then, when you should have the top contribution and a really great chance at those gold bags, some douchebag that just arrived gets top Cont somehow and takes it. And you get nothing.

I still play War occasionally, but I bought it with the understanding that rewarding PvP wouldn't be limited to scarios. They say they're going to fix that, and I hope they do, because right now world PvP is really fucking boring.

Edit: lawl incomprehensible rant /off

(Oh, and mix up the keeps for God's sake.)

Game's new. It takes time for enough people to rank up to make the RvR come alive. Last night I spent 4 hours taking and defending keeps. Even won a gold bag and a set item for my trouble. The night before I spent 7 hours doing the same thing. The game's only going to get better with time as they patch things up and add more to the mix. The changes with each patch show they are listening to the community.

Constrictor on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Like all games, it's hard for a number of people to walk into a new game to deal with issues that were not issues in the game prior, even though it possibly presents some better features as well. Seithcinb jobs, schools, games, etc, it's about the same.

I have some friends who never left WoW or EQ2 for the reason that they didn't want to join a game that's giong to go through some big changes and issues for the first X months like all other games.

Many issues would be resolved with simply having more people around. Whether convincing more people to play or joining servers would go a long ways towards that obviously.

I play these things with my friends. I think the games are neat and never really enjoy them to any great extent, but it's a fun way to hang with friends and people I like when they aren't available to be seen in person due to distance and such. Overall, the game is neat, they just have more work to do on it in my opinion.

Ardor on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I canceled my account when I saw the breakage of HoverCast and nerfs to healers. No thanks. It's obvious Mythic still doesn't have a clue how to balance a game, and I just don't have time to wait for them to fix their shit. Too many other games to play to justify the 15 bucks a month. I'm sure they'll fix it up or whatever, but breaking HoverCast and nerfing healers is just sort of "meh, no thanks" for me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wait... I thought the HoT thing was the first step; normalizing the algorithms before the actual rebalancing. No?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

That's not to say those people canceled their WAR account and don't play any more.
    Or that the number of people who left WOW citing WAR as the reason is statistically significant.

Hiravaxis on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hiravaxis wrote: »

That's not to say those people canceled their WAR account and don't play any more.
    Or that the number of people who left citing WAR as the reason is statistically significant.

54% of people who left for WAR recently didn't resubscribe for Lich King.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wait... I thought the HoT thing was the first step; normalizing the algorithms before the actual rebalancing. No?

Has that actually been stated by Jacobs? As far as I know, no reasoning was given, the community just assumed the best.

I'm going to assume the best as well, because that seems like a bonehead maneuver.
    Game's new. It takes time for enough people to rank up to make the RvR come alive. Last night I spent 4 hours taking and defending keeps. Even won a gold bag and a set item for my trouble. The night before I spent 7 hours doing the same thing. The game's only going to get better with time as they patch things up and add more to the mix. The changes with each patch show they are listening to the community.

And when they patch up, I'll return. I know I'm bouncing back for the Blackguard, and I also know I'm coming back (if I leave) for the Choppa because Choppa is the class I've wanted to play from the very beginning.

But until then, I'm not playing very much. Not too fun doing the same thing ad nauseum in RvR of all things.

Dac on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Actually I am more pissed about HoverCast than healer balancing, though I think the healer balancing is retarded given how much damage can be pumped out. Healing is already a tedious case of whack-a-fucking-mole, removing the little tools that make it slightly less tedious is just dumb and game breaking for me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
This discussion has been closed.