Options

[WAR] Oh yeah. Slob those Knobs.

• Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2008
    over half of the three people I spoke to are not going back for WotLK.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Wait... I thought the HoT thing was the first step; normalizing the algorithms before the actual rebalancing. No?

Actually I am more pissed about HoverCast than healer balancing, though I think the healer balancing is retarded given how much damage can be pumped out. Healing is already a tedious case of whack-a-fucking-mole, removing the little tools that make it slightly less tedious is just dumb and game breaking for me.

That's fair though it shouldn't be a surprise. They've been saying since beta that tools like Hovercast won't be supported.
    robothero wrote: »
    over half of the three people I spoke to are not going back for WotLK.

Blizzardlike grasp of statistics!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They broke hovercast because with it any braindead monkey could be a decent healer without even looking at what's happening in the fight.

If you can't heal properly without easymode macros that do everything for you, you're pathetic.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    AeonfellAeonfell Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I honestly wouldn't mind busting out 80 in Lich King for the hell of it, give WAR a few months of awesome patchening before hitting it again, gleefully.

However I am dumb and have a level 70 ret paladin, and everytime I check up on patch notes I get violently ill.

We shall see.

Aeonfell on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wait... I thought the HoT thing was the first step; normalizing the algorithms before the actual rebalancing. No?

Actually I am more pissed about HoverCast than healer balancing, though I think the healer balancing is retarded given how much damage can be pumped out. Healing is already a tedious case of whack-a-fucking-mole, removing the little tools that make it slightly less tedious is just dumb and game breaking for me.

That's fair though it shouldn't be a surprise. They've been saying since beta that tools like Hovercast won't be supported.

Welp, then they just lost my subscription dollar. Not that they or anyone else cares, or should care, but it is what it is. If friendly target mods weren't going to be supported, they should have never made it out of beta, period. To give the functionality, then take it away after people get used to using it in completely non-game breaking ways, isn't the best way to go about it.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Morskittar we should brainstorm awesome classes and mastery trees and pairings for races that will never be put in game as a playable race

like skaven

but seriously, like ogres, they would be so awesome.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Something like what happened with Decursive.

BTW, I'm a reformed paladin cleansebot.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Welp, then they just lost my subscription dollar. Not that they or anyone else cares, or should care, but it is what it is. If friendly target mods weren't going to be supported, they should have never made it out of beta, period. To give the functionality, then take it away after people get used to using it in completely non-game breaking ways, isn't the best way to go about it.

It would have been cleaner if they'd not allowed it in the first place.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    They broke hovercast because with it any braindead monkey could be a decent healer without even looking at what's happening in the fight.

If you can't heal properly without easymode macros that do everything for you, you're pathetic.

What? Do you even know what fucking HoverCast is you moron? You obviously don't, because if you did, you would have kept your mouth shut and not stuck your foot so far down your throat it's coming out your ass.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Dac wrote: »
    Then you fight a 'meh' boss and get too-few bags for like 40+ people that were there. Then, when you should have the top contribution and a really great chance at those gold bags, some douchebag that just arrived gets top Cont somehow and takes it. And you get nothing.

Not to pick on Dac but does anyone else find this statement ironic given the WAR players going back to WoW discussion?

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Morskittar we should brainstorm awesome classes and mastery trees and pairings for races that will never be put in game as a playable race

like skaven

but seriously, like ogres, they would be so awesome.

:^:

I'd love to see each side get a "piggyback" Ogre class; just have them piggyback on existing EvC content, throw in a few ogre quests (eating, getting paid for smashing, more eating) and you're set.

I still can't think of a clean opposite for skaven, though.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »

What? Do you even know what fucking HoverCast is you moron? You obviously don't, because if you did, you would have kept your mouth shut and not stuck your foot so far down your throat it's coming out your ass.

Oooh big words from an angry little boy. Go back to sucking your mama's teat you whiny lil pussy. 1 input -> more than one action = easy mode macros!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mythic has stated repeatedly that they will not allow addons that actually give you an advantage over another player without said addon, only addons that mod the UI to be cleaner, more mobile, etc.

But seriously, if you need addons to do your job as a healer, you need to L2P.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ogres have 4 classes lined up pretty well though, I mean..

leadbelchers = ranged dps, ironguts = tank, butcher = healer, bull = melee dps

give all four classes a "passive" pet gnoblar that ties into their abilities somehow (and by passive I mean they cannot be killed or harmed, but they don't contribute damage or healing etc. unless the player uses an ability to do so i.e. a 10 second dot or a heal or something)

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

give all four classes a "passive" pet gnoblar that ties into their abilities somehow (and by passive I mean they cannot be killed or harmed, but they don't contribute damage or healing etc. unless the player uses an ability to do so i.e. a 10 second dot or a heal or something)

Ogres/skaven would work pretty well, actually.

As Karl-Franz and Tchar'zanek reach a stalemate, both looks further afield for allies. None are able or willing to participate, except two. The Empire's coffers are all but emptied and given to Greasus Gooldtooth, Ogre King to rally his tribes and march to the Empire. Tchar'zanek's Magi conjure a great ritual to call down a chunk of Morrslieb and hire a Skaven warlord clan and their allies from the Great Clans.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Mythic has stated repeatedly that they will not allow addons that actually give you an advantage over another player without said addon, only addons that mod the UI to be cleaner, more mobile, etc.

But seriously, if you need addons to do your job as a healer, you need to L2P.

I don't NEED anything, I simply choose not to play a game where I am forced to use their tedious and TERRIBLE targeting UI to heal with. This is 2008, this isn't EverQuest, and I don't have to open my book to med every time I cast Complete Heal anymore. I'll spend my dollar on games where the developers have a clue about how terrible their own healing system is, or at least give us the mods to fix their terrible healing system.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still can't think of a clean opposite for skaven, though.

The most obvious ones are probably the Empire and Dwarves, unfortunately. Lizardmen, maybe?

Alternatively, Mythic could get VERY creative and assign the Vampire Counts to Order, as the Skaven opposite. Von Carsteins/Lahmians/Necrarchs/Strigoi wouldn't work ("Hey Empire, sorry about that whole 'War of the Vampire Counts' thing"), but the Blood Knights have enough of a sense of honor that that angle might work (and Vampires apparently uniformly loathe Chaos).

EDIT - Never mind, I forgot about the Ogres. Yeah, they'd probably work.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    [strike]Keep[/strike] Raids aren't even that interesting - it's the SAME GODDAMN THING EVERY TIME. Same [Strike]door[/Strike] boss. Same [strike]oil[/strike] models. Same lame stupid [strike] tairway that's fucking impossible to bypass so you just get manhandled by AoE until it gets late enough that Order starts logging off[/strike] boss mechanics that you'll eventually figure out and love to hate after 10 times. Then you fight a 'meh' boss and get [strike] too-few bags for like 40+ people that were there[/strike] 3 drops for the 25 people who were there. Then, when you should have the top contribution and a really great chance [strike]at those gold bags, some douchebag that just arrived gets top Cont somehow and takes it[/strike] some douchebag who rolled higher, has more DKP, or is buddies with the officers get the loot. And you get nothing.

I still play [strike]War[/strike] WoW occasionally, but I bought it with the understanding that rewarding [strike]PvP[/strike] PvE wouldn't be limited to [strike]scarios[/strike] raids. They say they're going to fix that, and I hope they do, because right now [strike]world PvP[/strike] PvE is really fucking boring.

:mrgreen:

Fryhole on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vampire Counts would work extremely well with Destruction.

Ogre/Skaven wouldn't be too bad

One ability could be that the ogre eats his gnoblar, instantly restoring a percentage of his health.

NOM NOM

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Ogres/skaven would work pretty well, actually.

As Karl-Franz and Tchar'zanek reach a stalemate, both looks further afield for allies. None are able or willing to participate, except two. The Empire's coffers are all but emptied and given to Greasus Gooldtooth, Ogre King to rally his tribes and march to the Empire. Tchar'zanek's Magi conjure a great ritual to call down a chunk of Morrslieb and hire a Skaven warlord clan and their allies from the Great Clans.

God I love this shit(stuff, awesome stuff).

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    And when the Vampire counts rise up from their tombs, the Grail Knights are their waiting for them and the battle continues

so Tchar'zanek calls upon the beastmen, whos sneaky involvement is only thwarted by the elves of athel loren

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    And when the Vampire counts rise up from their tombs, the Grail Knights are their waiting for them and the battle continues

so Tchar'zanek calls upon the beastmen, whos sneaky involvement is only thwarted by the elves of athel loren

It's almost like the setting is made for this stuff.

The more I think about it, the more skaven/ogres makes sense. They're the two most distinct races willing to fight for whomever gives them what they want, and where each side of the conflict doesn't have an inherent hatred of the most likely option.

Also, Gnoblar eating is brilliant.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    and then the kroot invade and only the god emperor can save us

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    and then the kroot invade and only the god emperor can save us

Only when everyone paints their armor and banners bright, bright red. And Karl-Franz is revealed to be a C'tan.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    wfb turns out to be a planet trapped deep inside the warp

top empire advisors realize this and are burned at the stake by the temple of sigmar

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Before we're lynched for barely-relevant GW in-jokes... I can't figure out how a skaven/ogre pairing might be laid out.

Perhaps Tilea/Grey and Black Mountains/Southern Empire/World's Edge/Dark Lands/Ogre Kingdoms? Not that they need to make sense, as Empire/Chaos has shown us. Reikland to Praag gives my nerd sense fits every time I see it.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Where exactly are the Ogre kingdoms? They are like, north of Kislev and east of the chaos wastes right?

I don't know anything about where skaven hang out.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ogres would be fun on Destro. You wouldn't even need organized Ogres. You could just say that the forces of Change have started mutating and twisting their entire brood. Every time an ogre player spawns, he would have a different abnormality, similar to how Marauders have different arms for each mutation. An Orgre could have an arm growing out of his head, or a face replaced by a pit of writhing tentacles.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have literally no idea what anyone is talking about in this thread.

I like swords and magic.

I cast magic missile.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But what are you casting magic missile at? The darkness?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't even know if the darkness exists in this universe.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

The Vampire Counts HATE Chaos, though.

I suppose the VCs just don't work as a playable faction.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You could always try putting on your wizard robe and hat.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Where exactly are the Ogre kingdoms? They are like, north of Kislev and east of the chaos wastes right?

The skaven are all over the place, but they do have a capital between Tilea and Bretonnia (to the Southwest of the Empire, across mountains. Think Northern Italy). They also have major forts up in Troll Country and all along mountains everywhere. And below Altdorf, Nuln, and Middenheim.

The Ogre Kingdoms are to the East and South of the Empire, quite a ways away. They're not very near Kislev or the Chaos Wastes.

edit: Warhammer doesn't have the darkness. Only custard.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

They pretty much live underneath most of the Old World. There are a lot of Skaven.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Brian888 wrote: »

Other than the fact they are already broken down into 4 (5) distinct archetypes and are a great counterpart to existing and possibly future order races.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Vampires in Warhammer aren't necessarily ridiculously powerful. They're a little less angsty and fucking annoying than many settings too. I think they'd work well as a faction, with either Order or Destruction; they don't hate Chaos anymore than High Elves and Dwarfs hate each other.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think it really depends on the type of VC as well. Blood Dragons are probably more offput by Chaos than Strigoi or Necrarchs.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Other than the fact they are already broken down into 4 (5) distinct archetypes and are a great counterpart to existing and possibly future order races.

They seem tailor-made, yes, but you'd have to torture the lore almost unforgivably to get them to cooperate with Chaos (and no Strigoi worth his salt would ever cooperate with orcs; they destroyed the Strigoi kingdom).

Plus, there's the fact that vampires are inherently supposed to be overwhelmingly powerful; it'd be difficult to credibly balance that against a Squig Herder.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They seem tailor-made, yes, but you'd have to torture the lore almost unforgivably to get them to cooperate with Chaos (and no Strigoi worth his salt would ever cooperate with orcs; they destroyed the Strigoi kingdom).

Plus, there's the fact that vampires are inherently supposed to be overwhelmingly powerful; it'd be difficult to credibly balance that against a Squig Hunter.

Not any harder than an Archmage vs. a squig herder.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.