As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Freelancer - We RUN this server.

JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
Engaging Freelancer Alpha One Dash One.
Fl_box.jpg

What is Freelancer?

Freelancer is a Space Combat/Trading Sim developed by Digital Anvil, and published by Microsoft in 2003. Its a Open World Game, so to speak, in that you have freedom to go anywhere, and do whatever you feel like. Although the Vanilla Singleplayer Game has a bunch of scripted missions for you to go through.

Freelancer can be controlled completely with a mouse, and has a very miminal interface. Making it very easy to get into, unlike Freespace 2 or X3, for example.
Freelancer_Planet_Station_Trade_Lane_Nebula.jpg
Whats an Discovery Mod?

Discovery adds a bunch a fuckton of new ships, sectors, and other awesome stuff. It keeps to the original Freelancer as much as possible, as far as NPC's are concerned, but if you want to fly around in a Viper and try to take down the Firefly, that is possible if you have sufficent internet friends.
bsg.jpg
Awesome. How Do I Make It Happen?

First, you need Freelancer to be installed, and then download the Discovery Mod, and the Freelancer Mod Manager. Once you have the Mod Manager installed, and Discovery downloaded, click on the Disco mod to add it to the FMM list, and then click again in FMM to activate it. Some mods come with the FMM, dont activate them or the server will freak out and think your a cheating bastard.

Wut?! Theres no servers online?!

The Global List server was shut down a while ago, so we will be using Hamachi.

Join the channel PA Freelancer, Password is wang.

From there a server called PA Freelancer will be under LAN games, with the password of wang.

Note that PVP is enabled here, to allow for mans to space pirate other mans.

Questions? Comments? Anything else?

Post them here or PM me.

steam_sig.png
Jaramr on

• Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    We don't run this station, but we have an understanding with the people who do

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've played this game to death, but never finished the Single Player. I always get to the Japanese themed area and just get sick and tired of doing the same missions over and over and over again.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I actually really dug the plot for some reason. It was repetitive but some seriously cool shit happens in the last half of the game

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    oh my god

I...I might have to reinstall.

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Freespace 2 is easy to get into fine. You lie, sir!

...I should buy this. I remember kinda enjoying the demo, and Tachyon just doesn't have the polish I'm looking for.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I'm gonna try this.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Freespace 2 is easy to get into fine. You lie, sir!

...I should buy this. I remember kinda enjoying the demo, and Tachyon just doesn't have the polish I'm looking for.

The game really picks up after you leave the core liberty systems. Especially with multiplayer.

Although the singleplayer campaign takes a longer time to become really awesome.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    I actually really dug the plot for some reason. It was repetitive but some seriously cool shit happens in the last half of the game
    Dyson Sphere for the win

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jaramr wrote: »
    Although the singleplayer campaign takes a longer time to become really awesome.

Probably just me, but I was hooked from the first mission.
    Leaving the planet to see a diplomatic ship get blown up in front of you, then killing the guys that did it and the base they might've been... uh... based from... was pretty neat.

(Even if the very first bit was just an extended tutorial. It's literally impossible to die there (at least in plain unmodded Freelancer), since none of the ships will every fire at you :P)

It did get way more awesome from there, but I liked the beginning too.

I didn't like the requirement to go level up between plot missions, though, but it prevents you from getting utterly destroyed in the later ones. Although some guy beat the whole game using just the Starflyer (long time since I played, is that right? The starter ship, anyway) and the beginning weapons, IIRC.

This game needs a sequel :(

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ayulin wrote: »

Probably just me, but I was hooked from the first mission.
    Leaving the planet to see a diplomatic ship get blown up in front of you, then killing the guys that did it and the base they might've been... uh... based from... was pretty neat.

(Even if the very first bit was just an extended tutorial. It's literally impossible to die there (at least in plain unmodded Freelancer), since none of the ships will every fire at you :P)

It did get way more awesome from there, but I liked the beginning too.

I didn't like the requirement to go level up between plot missions, though, but it prevents you from getting utterly destroyed in the later ones. Although some guy beat the whole game using just the Starflyer (long time since I played, is that right? The starter ship, anyway) and the beginning weapons, IIRC.

This game needs a sequel :(

There was a sequel in development, but it got shutdown for some reason D:

So I just remembered how awesome large explosions in this game are, after watching a battleship fly into Manhatten.

A fine example of Liberty's Pilots.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    There is a blatant lack of arcade type space combat games. I love my X3, but I want a big budget campaign and nobody is willing to make one. :|

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is still one of my favorite games ever, but I never beat the singleplayer, and never even tried out the multi.

Will probably dig it out soon.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I love freelancer, but I have played it far too much, kinda burnt out on ever playing it again I think.

My main complaint on the base version, was the ship/area tiering. They way they had it setup there was no way liberty/bretonia could have ever held off kusari/rheinland forces, one of their ships was worth like 6 of liberties.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Oddjob187Oddjob187 Pew TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Uggh, I don't know where my Freelancer disk is. This thread is going to make me spend five hours digging around just so I can fly around in a viper.

Oddjob187 on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Now I remember playing this game..and liking it. But I have to admit I don't remember too much about the plot, which tells me it must have not been hugely stellar.

But I also remember seeing a bunch of higher level ships for sale as I was playing the game. Ships that clearly weren't available to me unless I continued playing and leveling up after the single player campaign was finished.

Don't the canned missions get repetitive after a while? What incentive was there to continuing? Isn't it just a level grind?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    There is a blatant lack of arcade type space combat games. I love my X3, but I want a big budget campaign and nobody is willing to make one. :|

The problem is that now hardly anyone has a flight stick. It would be really hard to build up the genre again.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The end of Freelancer was totally insane
    Fucking dyson sphere and then some gigantic fucking thing inside it that you had to blow up, and you flew toward it and it kept getting bigger and bigger and you were just like "holy shit"

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

The problem is that now hardly anyone has a flight stick. It would be really hard to build up the genre again.

never really thought about it that way. I guess i'm in the minority for keeping my flight stick, even though, admittedly I don't play too many sim games anymore. Found my disks and am installing Freelancer right now. Does it run on XP without having to tweak it at all?

VoodooV on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hmm, I might have to get this.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »

never really thought about it that way. I guess i'm in the minority for keeping my flight stick, even though, admittedly I don't play too many sim games anymore. Found my disks and am installing Freelancer right now. Does it run on XP without having to tweak it at all?

I didn't have any problems.

But I have not played this game in like eight years or something, so I really suck at it.

I might have to (shock horror) play through the missions before I can do anything to re-learn it all!

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It runs very well on XP, ive also had a friend use Vista with it, and it worked fine.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does it run on XP without having to tweak it at all?
    Thetheroo wrote:
    Hmm, I might have to get this.
    I...I might have to reinstall.

Yes it does, yes you should, and yes you should, respectively :P. On XP I've had few problems so I think it should run without many issues. (dual core does not appear to be a problem) Honestly, I've been having fun on the server and want more people to play with.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, apart from me, Igel has been the only one on this server.

Im always keeping a eye on the server, so ill join if I pick anyone up on scopes.

And I use a dual core as well, and there's no problems. Freelancer is like Starcraft in its ability to work with advanced space hardware.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I said it in the last FL thread and I'll say it here...for those who don't own it, YMMV but my local OfficeMax has it in their "value" software rack for $10. They've had it as part of their regular value lineup for about 6-8 months now.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bought this.

I've seen some patches or whatever that makes the global server work, so you can see other dedicated servers.

I don't know how to work Hamachi/I don't really want to mess around with my ports because that's kind of a bitch.

edit: Just tried to install Hamachi, it's not making the network in my connections and the registry key isn't where it's supposed to be. I guess this wasn't destined to be.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I bummed around for awhile on the server, but I had to quit to sort out whether my issues were computer or connection related.

The whole connecting from Australia thing probably didn't help. :)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So there was a power outage today.

So if you couldnt get on from 9 AM to 4 PM EST then that's probably why.

Its up and running now though.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    My computer sucks, but it sucks online and off. If there are people on I will join. In fact, I will joing and just putz around anyway.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChromedisantChromedisant Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Eh, Discovery is mediocre compared to alot of the mods out there.
    Or rather, ones coming out.
    I still have a miniature hard-on for Crossfire 1.8, it looks awesome for one thing, and it's taking advantage of all those explained things in vanilla (For example, remember the Dom-Kvash, those aliens that built all the giant stuff then went away? They're back, and nearly impossible to beat).
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/crossfire/videos
    It's not out yet, but 1.7 is nice as well. Even if it is purple-filled and hard.
    Also, to the people crying out for a sequel, DA was working on Freelancer 2 before being beaten to death by Microsoft, it looked awesome...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ik9liH8OUw
    Like, really awesome..

Chromedisant on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Even if it is purple-filled and hard.

I have to ask, did you mean this the way it sounded?

freakish light on
  • Options
    ChromedisantChromedisant Registered User new member
    edited January 2009
    Yes, and no.
    There's tons of gay and dirty jokes, like that one.
    But the effects are all purple, and the game difficulty is upped, seriously.

Chromedisant on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god. Freelancer 2, it looked so good.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Commissar DemosthenesCommissar Demosthenes Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am so bad at this game. I just can't make money with that starting ship.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not really related to Freelancer, but this thread made me realize a space sim with Ace Combat-style replays would rock.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Are there certain times that this PA Freelancer network is going to be up or is my new-fangled Hamachi thing just not seeing it because it's evil/broken/more complicated than it looks?

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess it was closed due to lack of interest? I opened a new one. And hey I'm hosting a LAN server right now, though it's named different because i was just playing with a few friends of mine.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    96cce.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Well. That was fun.

If, by some act of somesort of diety (Maybe Offler?), all my friends that play this game/I am getting to play this game get on at the same time, we should have... 7 people. Woo.

EDIT: How do I save, or should I just keep the server on, or does it autosave, or what.

Commissar Demosthenes on
    96cce.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    if i remeber correctly, it saves whenever you dock/logout.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Wah huh what. People want to play this game again.

And yeah, it saves it to the server when you dock/logout.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Need to up the starting cash and let people pick their starting faction and port. The whole grind thing really isn't fun enough to warrant keeping. Let people start with enough credits to buy a level 7 light fighter.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23