As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A couple things that I've noticed in the course of play.

Smokers need a bit of improvement. I've fiddled with console commands and tweaked some things, and I think the following should be done, in general:

Misses: When the Smoker misses with the tongue, it doesn't fire at all, but it starts the whole cooldown process. That sucks a lot for a fairly situational boss; if the hunter misses a pounce, you can damn sure jump again, and if a boomer misses the vomit you can kamikaze in, but if a smoker misses the tongue you stand there like a retard and wait for it to come back because there's nothing else the smoker can do. I've been setting it to 0 delay on the recharge when the tongue misses, so the smoker can at least get a chance at lassoing some people.

Tongue strength: You can free a lasso'd survivor by shooting the smoker or shooting the tongue. As is, the tongue is really fragile. A light breeze will liberate a survivor. It's a bit dissappointing, because again, the smoker's sort've a one-trick pony. I've been upping the durability of the tongue strength a little bit, so that it's faster to shoot the smoker than the tongue. This rewards good positioning - if you can drag a survivor from over ledges or the likes, you've got a better chance at laying some damage on them while the other survivors try to free their companion.

The Boomer's pretty much perfect, though I wish you could vomit on locations and herd agitated zombies there, rather than just on survivors. It'd let you lay down a pretty decent trap for those times when getting close enough to actually vomit would be impossible.

Hunter's fun. Walljumping is nice, but I'd like the class so much better if they could stick/crawl on walls and ceilings. As-is, you end up bouncing like a lunatic between walls while you try and get into position. It'd be great to have a hunter hanging on the ceiling overhead!

Tank's cool. I'm a bit dissapointed that you can't actually PICK UP the cars in the demo. There's only one you can knock around with punches. I don't know if you'll ever be able to actually pick up and toss the vehicles like the game describes but it would be nice.

I really like that when the director spawns zombie hordes to attack, they start a good distance away. If you trigger a panic event inside the first building on the demo, they spawn out on the street level and run through the alley ways to reach you, and divide up along the way (some will climb to the rooftops, etc). It's a really cool thing to watch and it's nice that the director doesn't just drop them in around the nearest corner.

Ein on
  • tehgilstehgils Is ruro/rurokenshin DetroitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Or maybe disorient them once they've been shoved back.

I thought it already did that. although I could just be imagining this.

tehgils on
    FFXIV- Focke Wulf
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tehgils wrote: »
    Or maybe disorient them once they've been shoved back.

I thought it already did that. although I could just be imagining this.

It might.

Yeah, actually, it does.

I just don't want that to go away if you end up making the melee attack non-damaging.

Sarksus on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dunno, I don't know if the smoker really needs all that...

As far as I can see the smoker just needs to be very opportunistic. If he strikes when say, a hunter is already attacking and then drags someone into a swarm they've done their job. The smoker also produces a cool cloud when he dies, which can obfuscate the movement of the horde.

Can you imagine a smoker attacking while your fighting a tank?

Also, I could have sworn that once a smokers tongue grabbed me when I stopped on it while it was retracting back into its mouth.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    It might.

Yeah, actually, it does.

I just don't want that to go away if you end up making the melee attack non-damaging.

Yeah, the disorient should stay. I just think it should do 0 hp damage on, say, expert difficulty or something.

Inquisitor on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You know, I've been thinking about it, and I imagine in the future someone, maybe Valve, will make a game where the Director is a playable role. Micromanagement of Zombie resources in realtime, for example.

I bet it already exists, some mod or something...

LewieP on
    edited November 2008
    There should also be a teddy bear that takes up your molotov/grenade slot that you can throw at a witch to occupy her attention. She'll move to pick it up, grab it for a few seconds, evaluate it, and then tear the living shit out of it. Meanwhile, she's moved out of the stupid subway train that the asshole director put her in and you and your companions can proceed unmolested.

Ein on
  • Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    You know, I've been thinking about it, and I imagine in the future someone, maybe Valve, will make a game where the Director is a playable role. Micromanagement of Zombie resources in realtime, for example.

Zombie Master

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
    edited November 2008

I can't tell if you are being facetious or not...

But, I think Zombie Master is like this.

Also, they need to make Natural Selection 2 already.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I dunno, I don't know if the smoker really needs all that...

As far as I can see the smoker just needs to be very opportunistic. If he strikes when say, a hunter is already attacking and then drags someone into a swarm they've done their job. The smoker also produces a cool cloud when he dies, which can obfuscate the movement of the horde.

Can you imagine a smoker attacking while your fighting a tank?

Also, I could have sworn that once a smokers tongue grabbed me when I stopped on it while it was retracting back into its mouth.

Regarding the smoke, in order to be opportunistic you generally have to exploit angles and the smokers' range. Rooftops are a great place to attack from, but the smoke you produce upon death is going to do fuck-all up there. Generally, if you're using the smoker as an ambush class, you're not going to be dropping smoke anywhere on the survivors.

It's not even that dense.

Ein on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Not being facetious, I've not heard of Zombie Master, but am googling it right now.

LewieP on
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey can I get a group add? http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982894066

I've got a few friends I've been playing with plus I've already met a lot of awesome players whom I've added as Steam buddies, completely defying my non-existent expectations of no griefing (public games have been awesome). I've taken a vow to not play the demo again until release, starting yesterday, after my most enjoyable and strategic playthrough of expert yet (ending on a high note). I think a 7 hour investment into a demo is more then enough. See you guys in a week.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Not being facetious, I've not heard of Zombie Master, but am googling it right now.

I hear it's terribad

But I always see Doug getting on it

MrDelish on
    edited November 2008
    I have sort've been doing the 'Zombie Master' thing myself. I join the Infected Team after hosting a public server, and just spawn all sorts of shit to attack the survivors at opportune moments. To make up for the fact that I tend to be a dick, I litter first aid kits around the map to even things out a bit.

Ein on
    edited November 2008
    Ein wrote: »
    Regarding the smoke, in order to be opportunistic you generally have to exploit angles and the smokers' range. Rooftops are a great place to attack from, but the smoke you produce upon death is going to do fuck-all up there. Generally, if you're using the smoker as an ambush class, you're not going to be dropping smoke anywhere on the survivors.

It's not even that dense.

One of the ways a smoker has been most effective against me while I've played the game is just to be standing in a crowd of zombies and then grab with the tongue. Zombies act as a shield while he chokes you out. If the smoker dies, you are now in the middle of a bunch of zombies and a smoke cloud.

It's only happened to me once or twice but maaan, it sucked.

Inquisitor on
    edited November 2008
    A smoker dragging a survivor into a field of flames created by that same survivor's Molotov is amusing.

I think when Versus mode is available you're just going to have to coordinate. Have the hunter cause chaos among the survivors, and then have the smoker pick off whatever survivor is closest at the same time a hunter attacks someone, or maybe wait for a boomer to create a swarm. The smoker and hunter are devastating when there's a swarm attacking you.

Sarksus on
    edited November 2008
    A smoker dragging a survivor into a field of flames created by that same survivor's Molotov is amusing.

I think when Versus mode is available you're just going to have to coordinate. Have the hunter cause chaos among the survivors, and then have the smoker pick off whatever survivor is closest at the same time a hunter attacks someone, or maybe wait for a boomer to create a swarm. The smoker and hunter are devastating when there's a swarm attacking you.

The showdown room in the demo sure exploits the boss zombies.

I figured I was kind of safe outside the minigun room, what with two explosive gascans on fire in front of me, killing any zombies dumb enough to run into them.

Then I get tongue'd across the fire D:

and as if that weren't enough, a Hunter jumps on me as well, so I died in less than ten seconds

MrDelish on
    edited November 2008
    I think I'd like the smoker if he smoked (like, seriously opaque smoke) when he grabbed someone with the tongue. It'd make hitting the boss himself a bit harder - you just have to fire blindly into the general haze.

Ein on
  • Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well... Its official.

Littleboots, Rakuen, Meloncoly Mark, and I all beat the demo on expert using only pistols. Littleboots took a demo. We beat it the first time all the way through. Good times.

edit: and yes... you can touch our hands if you like...

Hey You on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Or in the last stand of subway, after the survivors have barricaded themselves with the gas tanks, a smoker can do a lot of damage.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WE'RE THE BEST AROUND, NOTHINGS GONNA KEEP US DOWN

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Director is not pleased.

Gosh I can't wait for versus mode- even if the survivors will never, ever escape death.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've died a few times from smokers, they just have to be really coordinated with the other bosses. The worst thing that happened to me was when we were near the escalators; I was searching one of the booths for items when a tongue came out and grabbed me out of the booth and pulled me upstairs. On my way up the stairs a boomer puked on me, then a hunter jumped on me. There was no way my mates could get to me before I died. The hoard then incapped another player before they could dispense everyone.

fsmith1 on
  • AntiQuoAntiQuo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I just finished playing the demo...

Wow.

AntiQuo on
    1e276.png
    edited November 2008
    this needs to be corrected D: :

Horde = large quantity of things (zombies)
    Hoard = to accumulate greedily (see: Witch Doctor DBM)

MrDelish on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nazi = you

tofu on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    AntiQuo wrote: »
    So I just finished playing the demo...

Wow.

You're not allowed to finish the demo. Sorry.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah if they are coordinated, the 3 main bosses can cause some crazy havoc.

Today I was on the first level, on the place around the car with the alarm, and I just got owned. Essentially, what happened was, one guy got hurled on, or one of them exploded on him or something. Then the horde came, and whilst another guy was fighting off the oncoming horde, he got pounced on. So that leaves me and another guy to help the blind guy and the pounced guy, all surrounded by a horde of zombies. The other guy runs to help, as do I, only I get attacked by the smoker on the rooftop above me, a bit away from the actual battle.

In the end, I was choked to death while the other two were saved with pretty low health. Even if someone did notice me hanging there, someone would have died in that situation.

As I side note, I love the noise it makes when you are killed by a smoker. For those yet to die from one, it's essentially the sound of your neck snapping in two.

Foolish Chaos on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Melee only works when you have a corner to back into, stop complaining about it.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I went from full health to dead form a smoker once. My teammates were dealing with a horde due to boomer and a hunter at the time. By the time they actually acknowledged my cries I had already died.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah if they are coordinated, the 3 main bosses can cause some crazy havoc.

Today I was on the first level, on the place around the car with the alarm, and I just got owned. Essentially, what happened was, one guy got hurled on, or one of them exploded on him or something. Then the horde came, and whilst another guy was fighting off the oncoming horde, he got pounced on. So that leaves me and another guy to help the blind guy and the pounced guy, all surrounded by a horde of zombies. The other guy runs to help, as do I, only I get attacked by the smoker on the rooftop above me, a bit away from the actual battle.

In the end, I was choked to death while the other two were saved with pretty low health. Even if someone did notice me hanging there, someone would have died in that situation.

As I side note, I love the noise it makes when you are killed by a smoker. For those yet to die from one, it's essentially the sound of your neck snapping in two.

When have you ever heard a neck snap in two? Yeah, that's what I thought.

EDIT: There was a Tank rather close to a witch near the tunnel/subway part of the second map ... we were frantically trying to keep the witch out of all of the fighting. We managed to not startle her at all, which was a good thing. Tanks are becoming slowly more manageable, but with a lot of running and a lot LOT of rounds.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe this can be added to the OP

I'm running a dedicated server off a machine here at home. The IP is: alabaster.bounceme.net

You can connect with the console or if you find it in the server browser. There isn't a password but there is a unique search_index key so that it won't be populated by people who aren't specifically looking for it.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I went from full health to dead form a smoker once. My teammates were dealing with a horde due to boomer and a hunter at the time. By the time they actually acknowledged my cries I had already died.

This is why in games I give smoker grabbed people priority one - because nobody else seems to.

Maticore on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Boss AI is really pretty terrible, even on Expert. It seems like they usually just get spawned somewhere, run out and use their ability on the first survivor they see. As far as I can tell they don't wait for zombie hordes or coordinate with eachother except by total fluke. Boomers in particular just stand around, often in plain sight. Given how good Turtle Rock is at making AI it seems like maybe they didn't have time to finish it for boss infected or something.

When players get their hands on the infected and start coordinating they'll be able to pull some really dastardly shit. It might be hard to get them all spawned at once since the director is in charge, but even just one or two Hunters/Smokers working with a zombie panic can do some serious damage and even if you can't kill them all in one go, it's about wearing down their health over time(in Versus you get points for damage, and apparently can win on points even if the survivors make it).

Zek on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So does the 360 version have 4-player or only 2-player split screen? This could be the deciding factor between settling for the 360 version or forcing myself to install Windows on my MythTV box to buy the Steam version.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    So does the 360 version have 4-player or only 2-player split screen? This could be the deciding factor between settling for the 360 version or forcing myself to install Windows on my MythTV box to buy the Steam version.

2 player split, no 4-player split.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Melee is fine as is. The closer you are to zombies is the closer you are to targets that your team mates will be shooting at. You are closer to bullets. That puts you closer to death.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    The Boss AI is really pretty terrible, even on Expert. It seems like they usually just get spawned somewhere, run out and use their ability on the first survivor they see. As far as I can tell they don't wait for zombie hordes or coordinate with eachother except by total fluke. Boomers in particular just stand around, often in plain sight. Given how good Turtle Rock is at making AI it seems like maybe they didn't have time to finish it for boss infected or something.

You know nothing.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited November 2008
    Maticore wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »

This is why in games I give smoker grabbed people priority one - because nobody else seems to.

I usually try and anticipate them. After you leave the safe house for the second portion of the campaign a smoker always comes down above you a set time after you've killed all of the zombies in that room. I'll usually keep someone in between me and that area while we are fighting on the escalators, but I'll keep an eye out because I know they're going to get strangled.

Sarksus on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    boomers area always right around the corner, or above you.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
This discussion has been closed.