As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• Options
    ModainModain Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    New blog post at http://www.l4d.com/blog/ about film effects.

Modain on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    The Boss AI is really pretty terrible, even on Expert. It seems like they usually just get spawned somewhere, run out and use their ability on the first survivor they see. As far as I can tell they don't wait for zombie hordes or coordinate with eachother except by total fluke. Boomers in particular just stand around, often in plain sight. Given how good Turtle Rock is at making AI it seems like maybe they didn't have time to finish it for boss infected or something.

When players get their hands on the infected and start coordinating they'll be able to pull some really dastardly shit. It might be hard to get them all spawned at once since the director is in charge, but even just one or two Hunters/Smokers working with a zombie panic can do some serious damage and even if you can't kill them all in one go, it's about wearing down their health over time(in Versus you get points for damage, and apparently can win on points even if the survivors make it).

Not sure what Boomers you're running into, but for me, they like to hide around corners or behind doors and vomit on me before I can react. Sure, I'll get the occasional one that'll just be lumbering about in plain sight, but it is definitely not every time.

Dourin on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hadn't actually realized until now how similar the Tank and Dog (From Half-Life 2)'s animations are. To think Valve pulled a fast one on me.

RCagent on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Going into the vents makes killing the Tank so much easier

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In the age of super boredom, celebrate mediocrity.

L4D lends itself so well to music, there's something about slaughtering zombies to a sound track. Something special.

I'm a barbie girl, in a barbie wo- ARGLE RARGLE<3 - NO, FRANCIS! - JESUS GET IT OFF ME - RAAARGLE<3 SNAP - SCREEEEEEEE<3

They just want hugs.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dourin wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    The Boss AI is really pretty terrible, even on Expert. It seems like they usually just get spawned somewhere, run out and use their ability on the first survivor they see. As far as I can tell they don't wait for zombie hordes or coordinate with eachother except by total fluke. Boomers in particular just stand around, often in plain sight. Given how good Turtle Rock is at making AI it seems like maybe they didn't have time to finish it for boss infected or something.

When players get their hands on the infected and start coordinating they'll be able to pull some really dastardly shit. It might be hard to get them all spawned at once since the director is in charge, but even just one or two Hunters/Smokers working with a zombie panic can do some serious damage and even if you can't kill them all in one go, it's about wearing down their health over time(in Versus you get points for damage, and apparently can win on points even if the survivors make it).

Not sure what Boomers you're running into, but for me, they like to hide around corners or behind doors and vomit on me before I can react. Sure, I'll get the occasional one that'll just be lumbering about in plain sight, but it is definitely not every time.

Yeah they stand around corners, but you can almost always edge out and shoot them without getting splashed and if not they'll walk into the open if you lure them. I almost never have to bother meleeing them away. For any boss really it's a waste of time to attack survivors alone assuming they don't get split up, they should stalk them until a zombie wave appears and then attack together and the AI don't seem to bother with that. Even a successful boomer bile is easy to deal with by itself.

Zek on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As soon as I get back from college tomorrow it's zombie time.

Zombie and screaming like a little girl time.

Oh yeah.

Could I get added to the L4D steam group, please?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/domhnall1888

Thanks in advance!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This graffitti from teh Dead Air campaign is solid gold :
    ded-terminal1bg.jpg

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So exactly when does the Demo go up tomorrow? I've been hearing everything from 2AM tonight, to 10PM. I'm going to assume Valve Time is applied to this. I mean, they technically they have the demo out, I don't see why it would be so much trouble to have it activate as soon as possible.

EDIT: ^ Haha, I see the Graffiti can have a touch of humor. "I miss the internet".

RCagent on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What are the names of the campaigns?

tofu on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So...as a point of note, in my opinion, lighting a tank on fire, while possibly pissing it off more, is a good idea because if you can run and gun, you stand a good chance of it burning to death eventually.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    No Mercy
    Dead Air
    Death Toll
    Blood Harvest

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    So exactly when does the Demo go up tomorrow?

Unknown, best guess is 7 AM Pacific since that was when the demo was released for pre-orders

Tertiee on
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tertiee wrote: »
    RCagent wrote: »
    So exactly when does the Demo go up tomorrow?

Unknown, best guess is 7 AM Pacific since that was when the demo was released for pre-orders

:(

Tzen on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    good god i'm a retard

just watched the game intro again. it has all the sound cues the game uses (startling a witch, hunter pouncing, smoker tonguin', tank approaching) and it's also the same setting of the demo and the video ends on the same rooftop where the demo begins

durrrrrp

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anticipation for this game is getting me all wet. I can't believe it has split-screen. That's almost a rarity nowadays.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The PC version can split screen as well.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    GafferGaffer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Good playing with you guys...

We toughed out some dick moves by the director. Having Zoey go bizarro didn't help either. She made tasty zombie bait for our Generator Broulee in which we set one man at the bottom of the stairs and drenched the top in gas and molotovs. I heart this strategy immensely. The fact that Zoey got smokered and pounced on and burned alive was simply the icing on the cake.

Gaffer on
  • Options
    fodderboyfodderboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best smoker death.

Playing on expert, we had a boomer and a car alarm go off. I not wanting to be bait jumped through a window, picking off zombies as best as possible. Everyone hit the ground 'cept me. I"m thinking cool, just revive everyone, and get out of here.

I jump out in to the street take no more then 5 steps and a smoker lashes me and pulls me back to the window.

I die. It was awesome. :)

One thing that i really like, that Valve could have easily screwed up, is the voice acting. Every phrase sounds right and believable, even when the character is a cliche.

fodderboy on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably have homework that could use some doing on the 18th, but it is after one of my primary projects is due, so whoever's for some exciting campaigning after 10pm Eastern, I'm all for Advanced or Expert (although I suspect Advanced would be more fun for a first run through).

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I believe it was patched out of the demo. Doesn't bode well for the retail.

Tzen on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    fodderboy wrote: »
    One thing that i really like, that Valve could have easily screwed up, is the voice acting. Every phrase sounds right and believable, even when the character is a cliche.

If there's one thing Valve does well, it's voice acting.

Put that along with their animation quality (especially for faces), and steadfast resistance to the idea that making a character look like it's coated in plastic somehow means that they're more "realistic", and they make some characters that you can really emotionally connect with.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tzen wrote: »

People have it working in the demo.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tzen wrote: »

So was playing as the infected.

Using my logical analysis:

You can't play as the Infected or use Splitscreen in the Demo due to the recent update.

You can play as the Infected in the Retail Version.

I'm assuming splitscreen will be available in the Retail version. I just think Valve didn't want people having fun quite yet.

RCagent on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jonxp wrote: »

Put that along with their animation quality (especially for faces), and steadfast resistance to the idea that making a character look like it's coated in plastic somehow means that they're more "realistic", and they make some characters that you can really emotionally connect with.

Source may not be the shiniest engine, but damn, those new 'leaning' running animations are pretty cool.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    No Mercy
    Dead Air
    Death Toll
    Blood Harvest

Death Toll is gonna be awesome I bet.

tofu on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    Haikira wrote: »
    Can anyone who has played the 360 demo answer a question for me? I know theres splitscreen, but can you take a friend online? I've planned to play with 2 friends online, with the 3rd player using splitscreen at my place.

I am pretty sure you can. I've only played the 360 version with 4 player system link, though.

Just checked Wiki.

"Players can mix split screen and online play in the same game."

Awesome, awesome to the max.

I'm really digging how much care seems to have been put into L4D, i really cant wait to try this tomorrow.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Source may not be the shiniest engine, but damn, those new 'leaning' running animations are pretty cool.

The most impressive is when you're strafing right and a zombie is say, diagonal to your left and facing in the direction you're strafing, and decides to attack you.

It's awesome, they run in this parabolic curved arc attempting to carve your face off.

Maticore on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I agree. The animations were extremely well done. Valve's attention to detail is what really separates their games from the rest of the pack.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, at valve, the guys who have to do the console ports are like, in detention, right? ;)

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just saw this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B-UB17L2WQ

What is EA's involvement with this? I thought it was just distribution? Are they responsible for marketing as well?

guar on
  • Options
    Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, races through the levels are nuts.

Roland Zek and Vallav and I did level 2.
    Zek being a meth addict runs up and hits the switch way ahead of us and promptly dies. Now me, having downs and all, am way behind and get a tank spawned in my face. I run past Roland and Val on the stairs up to the generators screaming and crying about the tank no more than 2 feet behind me, hear them die behind me and get up the stairs and close the door.

The turtle really does win the race!
    Anybody got some spare pants?

Butterfly Boy on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Đטƒ !! Hitsu: I should replace the tank music with the mario underground music
    Witch Doctor, D.B.M.: while awesome, that wouldn't be nearly as terrifying
    Witch Doctor, D.B.M.: now if you
    Đטƒ !! Hitsu: ou pacman music
    Đטƒ !! Hitsu: cause the tank is like pacman, with a power pellet
    Đטƒ !! Hitsu: and instead of roar, make him go waka waka
    Đטƒ !! Hitsu: and have ghost dieing noise for the survivors dieing
    Witch Doctor, D.B.M.: would shut up for a few minutes I could finish the song I'm doing and we could play L4D
    waka waka
    (< . . . . o . . . . o . . . . . o

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ok, I've played L4D more in the last two weeks than TF2.

That's kinda frightening.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

And this is only the demo.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    With nothing but 2fort and dustbowl.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And zombies. Don't forget the zombies.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

That a lot of hours, man.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Good thing I only played it about four hours opening day eh?

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    KagnarosKagnaros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    L4D everyone beta. please come out at midnight, so my roommates can download and we can finally slay zombies together, like we always wanted to.

also man. expert is just a cockblock once you get close to the end.

Kagnaros on
    fss.png
This discussion has been closed.