As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    Tzen wrote: »
    The PC version can split screen as well.

I believe it was patched out of the demo. Doesn't bode well for the retail.

So was playing as the infected.

Using my logical analysis:

You can't play as the Infected or use Splitscreen in the Demo due to the recent update.

You can play as the Infected in the Retail Version.

I'm assuming splitscreen will be available in the Retail version. I just think Valve didn't want people having fun quite yet.

Or maybe they never intended split screen to be on the PC and it'll probably never be added the menus and you'll always have to use the console to play splitscreen.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble downloading the demo right now?

I keep clicking on the "Install Demo" button but all it does is cause a screen refresh, servers being hammered or have valve decided i'm not allowed to have fun?

Dunno what's causing it, but I have the same problem.

Can you read what it says in orange text on http://store.steampowered.com/app/530/? I think that it's pretty clear that the demo isn't publicly available yet.

Peewi on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

You can't play as the Infected or use Splitscreen in the Demo due to the recent update.

I'm assuming splitscreen will be available in the Retail version. I just think Valve didn't want people having fun quite yet.

Or maybe they never intended split screen to be on the PC and it'll probably never be added the menus and you'll always have to use the console to play splitscreen.

why the hell would you want to split screen on pc? thats just stupid. you would have 2 monitors/get your buddy buy his own fucking computer.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble downloading the demo right now?

I keep clicking on the "Install Demo" button but all it does is cause a screen refresh, servers being hammered or have valve decided i'm not allowed to have fun?

Not sure if this helps, but when I first tried to download the demo it didn't seem to download unless I had the dialog box with the completion bar up (of course, if you don't even get the dialog box when you try to install it then I don't know what you could do).

...If all else fails try restarting steam?

[edit] Unless you're going for the non-preorder demo, then listen to Tertiee [/edit]

I'm having the same problem.

If you have a look on that page, it says:

You could be playing the demo NOW!

Pre-purchase Left 4 Dead and save 10%.

Plus, get immediate demo access.

So I'm guessing this will disappear when the demo becomes available to everyone.

Klaymen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

why the hell would you want to split screen on pc? thats just stupid. you would have 2 monitors/get your buddy buy his own fucking computer.

Yeah, split screen is dumb. Why don't my friends just get their own game console? Are you stupid? Don't you realize you stupid you sound? Splitscreen gives you the chance of playing together with other people with only one person needing to spend money on it. Splitscreen on PC can be fun too. I've had great fun playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2 splitscreen and that was with two players on one keyboard.

Peewi on
  • Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PC or GTFO.

Sorry, just my opinion. Console shooters just don't do any justice to precise control. No matter what you think, if a PC user could head to head a console user, PC would dominate. Mouse Please!
    :P

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Yeah, split screen is dumb. Why don't my friends just get their own game console? Are you stupid? Don't you realize you stupid you sound? Splitscreen gives you the chance of playing together with other people with only one person needing to spend money on it. Splitscreen on PC can be fun too. I've had great fun playing Jazz Jackrabbit 2 splitscreen and that was with two players on one keyboard.

DID YOU READ WHAT I WROTE?!? I DIDNT THINK SO.

I SAID ON A PC MORON. ARE YOU AND A BUDDY BOTH GOING TO PLAY L4D ON THE SAME PC. NO I DIDN'T THINK SO. SO STFU.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I SAID ON A PC MORON. ARE YOU AND A BUDDY BOTH GOING TO PLAY L4D ON THE SAME PC. NO I DIDN'T THINK SO. SO STFU.

Nerd rage?D:

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    rfalias wrote: »

Nerd rage?D:

I'm only slightly nerdy.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Do you have a reason for not wanting splitscreen on PC other than it being console-ish? As I wrote, I have in the past had great fun with a splitscreen game on PC and I see no reason not to include it. Even if it's there, no one is forcing you to use it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    *Bigass Quote Tree*

Do you have a reason for not wanting splitscreen on PC other than it being console-ish? As I wrote, I have in the past had great fun with a splitscreen game on PC and I see no reason not to include it. Even if it's there, no one is forcing you to use it.

Just by having the feature even there, even if its obscure is a severe violation of my PC gaming freedom. I will not be associated with Console features!! VIVA LA PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

rfalias on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WHEN DOES THE PUBLIC DEMO COME OUT CURSE ME FOR BEING SO CHEAP RARGH

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

yea but the game you had fun times with on split screen, was not an fps, it was some retro fun times. the reasons you dont want it on a pc (just a couple of reasons) :

1. the reason split screen works on a tv is because of the size of the screen and the distance you are from the screen. To see the display you need to be close to the screen (unless you have like a 30" screen)

2. what if your both right handed? both crowding round ya keyboard each trying to use a mouse as well. thats just silly.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Trimmed Tree Again....

yea but the game you had fun times with on split screen, was not an fps, it was some retro fun times. the reasons you dont want it on a pc (just a couple of reasons) :

1. the reason split screen works on a tv is because of the size of the screen and the distance you are from the screen. To see the display you need to be close to the screen (unless you have like a 30" screen)

2. what if your both right handed? both crowding round ya keyboard each trying to use a mouse as well. thats just silly.

If I recall correctly, the split screen, for PC even requires a controller input of some kind. its not 2 people using the same M/KB. Not to mention PC's can be hooked up to TV's, HD TV's. Shocking I know.

Look, I find it redundant too, but its just left over code from the console port is all.

rfalias on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The funny thing is that people 'being cheap' and not pre-ordering for the demo actually end up paying more.

Unless they're buying it from play.com or something. £22 on there for UK denizens.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    The funny thing is that people 'being cheap' and not pre-ordering for the demo actually end up paying more.

Unless they're buying it from play.com or something. £22 on there for UK denizens.

£19.97 at Amazon. Not sure how I can be paying more :P

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you guys actually complaining about an extra feature on the pc version that you don't have to use? What the fuck. Some of that is obviously satire, but theres just some good ol "CONSOEL HUR HUR" in there and arent we past this yet? It isnt like you cant just buy the version you want.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »

I'm waiting until the last minute to pre-order (I presume the discount exists right up until unlock) because I want the Australian Dollar to improve as much as possible, so I pay less for the game.

Klaymen on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    O_o

I haven't worked in three weeks and even I'm not that cheap.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Last night was hilarious. I was playing with subedii and hitsu, and someone else. We're at the end of the subway level, and we trigger the event. Promptly Sub gets smokered and pulled through the fires, so he's done for, I don't think any of us even tried to save him haha.

Anyways, this was my last game of the night so I decided to go out with a bang, so I shoot the two surviving members of my team right before they get in the door (I had a suspicion that they were traitors to the species - Francis and Louis). I continue running into the room and those two players downed start shooting eachother.

That was the best part, not that I executed them right at the end, but that they decided to make the best use of their time left by killing eachother.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    O_o

I haven't worked in three weeks and even I'm not that cheap.

Zombies will not wait for your petty dollar to improve by .00012345 so you can save a buck. Zombies are not patient with humans.

rfalias on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    weenus wrote: »
    I realized today that Zoey is dressed quite similarly to Kelly, the main character of the British zombie mini series Dead Set.

l_73ae4f7bf947416b8e89c3770095c756.jpg

Man that series was all kinds of depressing.

BAD END

Is this show worth searching out for those on the other side of the pond?
    I love zombies and I love miniseries.
    I wish they would turn World War Z into one.

Also, 8:53 AM EST and no public demo? WAKE UP VALVE!

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    PC or GTFO.

Sorry, just my opinion. Console shooters just don't do any justice to precise control. No matter what you think, if a PC user could head to head a console user, PC would dominate. Mouse Please!

Yes.

L4D is all about minute, precise, one shot kills.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is for me.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tank, Flippy! TANK!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I realized today that Zoey is dressed quite similarly to Kelly, the main character of the British zombie mini series Dead Set.

BAD END

Also, 8:53 AM EST and no public demo? WAKE UP VALVE!

World War Z is being made into a movie right now. I think it may be better as a mini series, but the budget of a movie could make it awesome if they just focused on a few stories, like yonkers, or the downed pilot, or the kid with the katana and the blind dude.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Before, I was already bored to death of the first two levels. Now I can't wait to get back home and do some more race mode. The hilarity of someone getting jumped by a Hunter and getting intentionally left behind while yelling "you bastards!" is incomparable.

The occasional tank doesn't hurt, either.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

BAD END

It was an interesting concept. I wish it was a longer series instead of 5 meager episodes.

But maybe now we can point at this and be like "Can HBO do WWZ now pleaaaaaaaase?"

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Last night was hilarious. I was playing with subedii and hitsu, and someone else. We're at the end of the subway level, and we trigger the event. Promptly Sub gets smokered and pulled through the fires, so he's done for, I don't think any of us even tried to save him haha.

No. You didn't. It was all "Oh, there goes Subedii, don't bother he's dead now, It might take half an hour but he'll be dead."

Man, and after all the times I saved you that night too. Traitors the lot of ya.
    I'm not bitter
    much

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sheep wrote: »
    PC or GTFO.

Yes.

L4D is all about minute, precise, one shot kills.

It can be, if you don't want to friendly fire someone!!

Oh and I find moving is harder on consoles as well. It just isnt the same responsiveness as a PC is all I mean.
    It is like keyboarding basically.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Let's not turn this into a PC versus Console thread. There are plenty of other places on the internet where that chicanery takes place. Let's just all agree that L4D is an awesome game so far.

Anyway, on a separate note, RPS have a new podcast up, and this week they have special guest Eric Wolpaw in, who talks just a little bit about Left 4 Dead.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/11/the-rps-electronic-wireless-show-episode-6/

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »

No. You didn't. It was all "Oh, there goes Subedii, don't bother he's dead now, It might take half an hour but he'll be dead."

Man, and after all the times I saved you that night too. Traitors the lot of ya.
    I'm not bitter
    much

The entire room was on FIRE, and you got dragged into it!

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

BAD END

It was an interesting concept. I wish it was a longer series instead of 5 meager episodes.

But maybe now we can point at this and be like "Can HBO do WWZ now pleaaaaaaaase?"

This is kinda funny because i hear people critiquing it and saying is alright, but it was written by a guy called Charlie Brooker who is a pretty well known and rather harsh TV critic in the UK, so you would think he would be able to write the perfect TV show as a result..

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Before, I was already bored to death of the first two levels. Now I can't wait to get back home and do some more race mode. The hilarity of someone getting jumped by a Hunter and getting intentionally left behind while yelling "you bastards!" is incomparable.

Race mode is indeed hilarious. Especially when someone like Eric has enough time to come back, taunt your incapacitated body only to be slammed by a tank a few moments later.

BTW
    If you walk straight off the ledge to get to the AC unit instead of jumping, you'll make it and lose only a little bit of health instead of like the 70 you get from jumping. Plus while jumping, you run the risk of not making it.

Arminas on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »

haha, that reminds me of last night when me and 3 others were on expert and we were trying to run through the Apartments level as fast as possible. all 4 of us jump to the air vent to skip the building, 3 of us make it and the 4th was like "fuck I suck at jumping" and we all run to the end as fast as possible. zombies start attacking us near "the building" but we never went in we jsut went around. my 2 teammates who were still alive were downed, but I didn't stop. I get down into the subway and see theres no zombies in the room, and its a clear run to the safe house. My 2 alive teammates are on the ground screaming for me to help, so I run back up, shoot the car and the alarm goes off and I run my ass to the safe house and close the door and wait for the zombies to kill my 2 downed teammates.

I want to do that again :(

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    smokers are jokers!

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »

I'm not bitter
    much

The entire room was on FIRE, and you got dragged into it!

You would have been remembered in Heroic Tales and Epic Ballads long after your charred and ashen remains had been scattered to the four winds.

subedii on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just played this last night with some friends I haven't seen or spoken with forever and it was a goddamn BLAST. Someone getting tongued by a smoker and dragged off screaming down a subway car was just the highlight of my night.

To put it in perspective: I have taken next week off so I can poopsock for Lich King, but I will make time in my schedule for this when it comes out.

Also, I'm intrigued - what is this "race mode" you speak of? Just a friendly agreement to not bother shooting zombies but be the first person in the safe room and laugh giggling at those left behind? Or is it an actual ruleset you can trigger somewhere?

Imperfect on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I just played this last night with some friends I haven't seen or spoken with forever and it was a goddamn BLAST. Someone getting tongued by a smoker and dragged off screaming down a subway car was just the highlight of my night.

To put it in perspective: I have taken next week off so I can poopsock for Lich King, but I will make time in my schedule for this when it comes out.

Also, I'm intrigued - what is this "race mode" you speak of? Just a friendly agreement to not bother shooting zombies but be the first person in the safe room and laugh giggling at those left behind? Or is it an actual ruleset you can trigger somewhere?

Improvised Rules.

Another fun one is seeing how long everyone can survive just killing the infected.

RCagent on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's a mutually agreed rule:

-No shooting other survivors
    -Fire barriers are okay
    -whoever gets to saferoom first, wins!

and boo on valve for disabling infected in the demo

MrDelish on
This discussion has been closed.