As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Imperfect wrote: »
    I just played this last night with some friends I haven't seen or spoken with forever and it was a goddamn BLAST. Someone getting tongued by a smoker and dragged off screaming down a subway car was just the highlight of my night.

To put it in perspective: I have taken next week off so I can poopsock for Lich King, but I will make time in my schedule for this when it comes out.

Also, I'm intrigued - what is this "race mode" you speak of? Just a friendly agreement to not bother shooting zombies but be the first person in the safe room and laugh giggling at those left behind? Or is it an actual ruleset you can trigger somewhere?

It's just a mutual agreement deal. When I started the race thing I just said no shooting teammates, everyone else was fair game. A lot of people are taking it in interesting directions though :)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm kind of happy valve disabled playing as infected. I want to keep as many things new as possible for when the game actually comes out, and now there's no temptation.

My plan for release is to get home around 5 or 6 pm eastern time, play through No Mercy, then play versus for a few hours.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited November 2008
    I think L4D will keep me more addicted than any MMO could.

I love this game <3

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aumni wrote: »
    I think L4D will keep me more addicted than any MMO could.

I love this game <3

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa....Whoa....Whoa....

Lois... This is not my batman glass.

I dunno about replacing MMO's. But it is addicting yes.

rfalias on
    edited November 2008
    This has already replaced MMO's for me!

I don't play MMO's.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just want to race

am stuck at work, however

MrDelish on
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    weenus wrote: »
    I realized today that Zoey is dressed quite similarly to Kelly, the main character of the British zombie mini series Dead Set.

l_73ae4f7bf947416b8e89c3770095c756.jpg

Man that series was all kinds of depressing.

BAD END

Is this show worth searching out for those on the other side of the pond?
    I love zombies and I love miniseries.
    I wish they would turn World War Z into one.
    It was an interesting concept. I wish it was a longer series instead of 5 meager episodes.

But maybe now we can point at this and be like "Can HBO do WWZ now pleaaaaaaaase?"

This is kinda funny because i hear people critiquing it and saying is alright, but it was written by a guy called Charlie Brooker who is a pretty well known and rather harsh TV critic in the UK, so you would think he would be able to write the perfect TV show as a result..
    I really enjoyed it, watched it with a couple friends all in one sitting. It was funny because characters in horror and zombie movies are often really dumb anyway (like not killing people who are turning), but this made you not very surprised that they were that dumb, since it establishes in the first episode that most of the contestants are as intelligent as a bag of bricks.

I think it's worth finding just for the girl's lines to the producer when they are stuck in a room.
    That's a light machine! It's bad for the environment to waste light! Stop using up all the air! :lol:

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So um, is the demo actually out today for 360 owners who haven't pre-ordered? Didn't see anything on Major Nelson this morning.

And for the elitist "PC or GTFO" crowd, I'd love to play it on my PC, but my PC sucks, so buy me a new one or STFU. Thank you. :)

Meanwhile, I agree, not to keep the argument going, but M/KB is where it's at. Don't know why they still haven't given us the option on a console. If the SNES could give us a mouse for Mario Paint, the 360 sure as fuck can give it to us for shooters.

Fawst on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its not a submarine you fucking specimen.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    The 360 has USB ports, I've never tried it myself, but could a keyboard and mouse be plugged into those? And actually work I mean.

EDIT:
    Its not a submarine you fucking specimen.

hahahaha

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey You wrote: »
    Well... Its official.

Littleboots, Rakuen, Meloncoly Mark, and I all beat the demo on expert using only pistols. Littleboots took a demo. We beat it the first time all the way through. Good times.

edit: and yes... you can touch our hands if you like...

Has anyone else done this yet?

Hey You on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MS have been very... keen about keeping keyboards and mice away from their console, for all the baggage and implications that come with them.

The 360 has USB ports but has very specifically been programmed to disallow the usage of mice and keyboards as control inputs. Not to say it couldn't be hacked or anything, but by default, no.

subedii on
    edited November 2008
    Is anyone going to be playing this in about 3 hours? My last class was canceled today and I will damn well be replacing that time with shooting zombs.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    MS have been very... keen about keeping keyboards and mice away from their console, for all the baggage and implications that come with them.

The 360 has USB ports but has very specifically been programmed to disallow the usage of mice and keyboards as control inputs. Not to say it couldn't be hacked or anything, but by default, no.

What.

Explain the reasoning behind this? Just another attempt to flog a few more keyboard attachments?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • MetatradMetatrad Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When I click on "install demo" in the Steam browser, the screen flashes, then nothing happens on the Game list. Any way to manually download this?

Metatrad on
    edited November 2008
    Airan wrote: »

What.

Explain the reasoning behind this? Just another attempt to flog a few more keyboard attachments?

Keyboard/Mouse advantage over controller in Online Multiplayer.

Aumni on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Metatrad wrote: »
    When I click on "install demo" in the Steam browser, the screen flashes, then nothing happens on the Game list. Any way to manually download this?
    have you restarted steam? that usually fixes that "refuses to download after being released" bug...it may in fact be downloading in the background but just not updating the ui

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    edited November 2008
    Airan wrote: »

What.

It's not that simple. They don't want people to be able to use keyboards and mice with the 360 in the first place. It's not something they didn't think of, it's a deliberate design decision.

The thinking is along the lines that with the inclusion of keyboard and mouse, you get several associated problems:

- The control scheme is not comfortable to use in a living room environment, you have to be at a table of some sort

- Having a separate and optional control scheme creates a two-tier multiplayer environment right from the start, where people using the default controller will be at a disadvantage in some games unless they pop for the extra keyboard.

- With the inclusion of the keyboard and mouse comes requests for applications to go with it, especially from a major application and OS manufacturer like MS. E-mail clients, web browsers, even opening up the console for programming, a lot of stuff they don't want to encourage, and DEFINITELY don't want to be associated with here.

- There may also be a concern of cannibalising parts of the PC industry as a result unless the two are kept firmly separate, and MS naturally has a pretty huge stake in that.

- It affects the image of the device as a games machine.

Now evidently Sony don't have these same concerns or don't hold them in as high regard, since the PS3 has native keyboard / mouse support. Who knows, maybe next generation even MS won't care about that and allow keyboard and mouse support as well. But at the moment, I'd say that's roughly the reasoning why.

subedii on
    edited November 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    have you restarted steam? that usually fixes that "refuses to download after being released" bug...it may in fact be downloading in the background but just not updating the ui

Tried this twice, still nothing is happening. Tried issuing the download command from Firefox, still nothing. This isn't a problem unique to this demo, though, I've always had problems with the Steam store browser. Right clicking on the 'install demo' thing makes an IE window open with the URL "steam://install/530". IE is not my preferred browser, though.

Steam just updated today anyways, so I don't know what the hell to do.

Metatrad on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

This is pretty much the entire reason.

When the original Xbox debuted they made a big point about now including m/k support because they did not want the machine to be seen as a set top box or a PC.

Rightfully so. It's not exactly working for Sony.

Sheep on
    edited November 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Tried this twice, still nothing is happening. Tried issuing the download command from Firefox, still nothing. This isn't a problem unique to this demo, though, I've always had problems with the Steam store browser. Right clicking on the 'install demo' thing makes an IE window open with the URL "steam://install/530". IE is not my preferred browser, though.

Steam just updated today anyways, so I don't know what the hell to do.

It's not working because the demo isn't actually out yet.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited November 2008
    Oh that's handy

Metatrad on
    edited November 2008
    Sheep wrote: »

This is pretty much the entire reason.

When the original Xbox debuted they made a big point about now including m/k support because they did not want the machine to be seen as a set top box or a PC.

Rightfully so. It's not exactly working for Sony.

To be fair, Sony's problems this generation start a LOT sooner than at the question of keyboard support.

subedii on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so

that left 4 dead game

is pretty good

MrDelish on
  • chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh that's handy

Valve hates you for not pre-ordering.

chasehatesbears on
    edited November 2008
    OH MY GOD Left 4 Dead Demo will be available to play tonight.

I'm so excited!

I will lure every single one of my friends into this game. By force if necessary.

Aumni on
    edited November 2008
    It's like, when I'm not playing it I just want to talk about it.

Here's a quick story. You know how people are always saying that during the finale of the demo a smoker would grab someone and pull them through the flames and as a result the person would die? Well one time a smoker grabbed a teammate and started dragging them to the fire. I whip around like the fucking flash and shoot the smoker through the fire without even being able to see it. My teammate was damn close to the fire but hadn't actually touched it. Was pretty awesome.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm so sure you all saw, but just in case you didn't:

http://l4d.com/blog/

Update.

Icemopper on
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

Here's a quick story. You know how people are always saying that during the finale of the demo a smoker would grab someone and pull them through the flames and as a result the person would die? Well one time a smoker grabbed a teammate and started dragging them to the fire. I whip around like the fucking flash and shoot the smoker through the fire without even being able to see it. My teammate was damn close to the fire but hadn't actually touched it. Was pretty awesome.

There are a lot of moments where you feel a part of the team, and the more skill you can provide the more your team benefits.

Killing a hunter mid leap as he's about to tackle a buddy is so awesome.

Aumni on
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow the Steam forums thread is filling up at an astronomical rate. I popped in to see if any progress was made and it's all "omg where's the demo I'm gonna have a heart attack if it doesn't come up and it'll be YOUR fault, Valve!".

In any case, the demo is nearly an hour overdue.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You can just melee your teammate to break the hold.

Hoz on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

This might just be in game support. 'Cuz I keep a keyboard plugged in for text messages on live.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In regards to Steam ettiquette and Campaign with Friends;

Is it considered bad form to add piles of people to your friends list, in lieu of a "campaign with group" option that L4D seems to be lacking?

As a sub question to that; I noticed someone had me on ignore, which apparently doesn't prevent you from messaging them, but does prevent you from sending friend requests. Will this prevent you from joining/inviting them to Campaign w/Friends games?

Just making sure I haven't blindly wandered into Douchebagville, population: me.

That said, playing in public groups is an exercise in frustration. No, you dipshits, we formed a Normal game for a reason. If you want to play Expert that badly, go search for an Expert lobby.

Playing with a PA crew starts at Advanced (melee only advanced was a fun run) and Expert when we're feeling saucy is great. Expert pistols only sounds like it would be a blast, but it takes a group that sticks together, like our melee only run did. We were a god damned Phalanx.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    47 minutes?! TIME IS MONEY VALVE!

(except in the case of free demos, I suppose)

If anyone wishes to add me to their friend list for zombie shenanigans fell free to do so!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/domhnall1888

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited November 2008
    An hour over due? I'VE BEEN PLAYING FOR A WEEK! :rotate:

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited November 2008

Wheeeeeeee and it still is not boring yet wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Icemopper on
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »

Wheeeeeeee and it still is not boring yet wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Yes, lots of fun playing this demo was had this past weekend. Yay for awesome game.

Aumni on
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »

You can just melee your teammate to break the hold.

Yeah, then the smoker runs away and gets revenge later by pulling you off of the platform causing you to fall to your death.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's boring when compared to the amount of fun I imagine I'll be having with the full game.

Hoz on
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    It's boring when compared to the amount of fun I imagine I'll be having with the full game.

True, but still, :rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate::rotate:

Icemopper on
This discussion has been closed.