As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

1282931333463

Posts

  • ofthefountainofthefountain Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ofthefountain on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    L4D is GO in...
    Well steam says six days but it's looking like an hour or so.
    That said, I too need an invite, if any of you gents would be so kind.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/chasehatesbears

    The six days isn't how long the download will take, but for how long you'll be able to play the demo.

    So once the game is released the demo is no longer functional? I can't say that I'm a fan of that decision.

    It makes perfect sense. It's a game where the primary component is online play, and the main feature is replayability. Look at how much modding and such has already happened to the game. Not deactivating the demo loses them money. Valve isn't EA, we want them to have our money.

    Oh, believe me, I would never say (and did not say) that it doesn't make sense. I just know that personally I wish they let me keep playing the demo since I'm too broke to buy the full game just now.

    Not to mention that there is a contingent of people who will, through fate, time constraints, etc. will be unable to play the demo in the allotted time frame. At least on the Xbox, you can rent the game to see how its like, but on the PC side, you're out of luck if you want to see how it plays on your system and you miss the window of availability.

    Somone said this in the last thread; and, I can't help but agree.

    They'll (Valve, Steam, whoever) will probably do a "Free Weekend" thing like they do for TF2. And, if I remember correctly the free "weekends" on tuftoo were 3-dayers.

    TyrantCow on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zombie people don't really take all that many hits to go down, do they? Life got much easier after I realized that I was emptying clips into dying zombies. Ratatat, ratatat, ratatat. Much easier.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KezzerdrixxKezzerdrixx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Kezzerdrixx on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    L4D is GO in...
    Well steam says six days but it's looking like an hour or so.
    That said, I too need an invite, if any of you gents would be so kind.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/chasehatesbears

    The six days isn't how long the download will take, but for how long you'll be able to play the demo.

    So once the game is released the demo is no longer functional? I can't say that I'm a fan of that decision.

    It makes perfect sense. It's a game where the primary component is online play, and the main feature is replayability. Look at how much modding and such has already happened to the game. Not deactivating the demo loses them money. Valve isn't EA, we want them to have our money.

    Oh, believe me, I would never say (and did not say) that it doesn't make sense. I just know that personally I wish they let me keep playing the demo since I'm too broke to buy the full game just now.

    Not to mention that there is a contingent of people who will, through fate, time constraints, etc. will be unable to play the demo in the allotted time frame. At least on the Xbox, you can rent the game to see how its like, but on the PC side, you're out of luck if you want to see how it plays on your system and you miss the window of availability.

    Just call it what it is: a beta.

    After people understand that, they don't have as much of an issue with it.

    subedii on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Zombie people don't really take all that many hits to go down, do they? Life got much easier after I realized that I was emptying clips into dying zombies. Ratatat, ratatat, ratatat. Much easier.
    Nope, it doesn't take much and death animations aren't immediately obvious when you're not using a shotty. Also, the closer you are the more damage guns do. It definitely takes self-control to preserve your ammo with the automatics.

    Zek on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Basically, if you're constantly running out of ammo for something, you're doing it wrong.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Zombie people don't really take all that many hits to go down, do they? Life got much easier after I realized that I was emptying clips into dying zombies. Ratatat, ratatat, ratatat. Much easier.
    Nope, it doesn't take much and death animations aren't immediately obvious when you're not using a shotty. Also, the closer you are the more damage guns do. It definitely takes self-control to preserve your ammo with the automatics.

    Always try and burst your fire, especially at range. Preserves ammo and aim.

    There are so many people that just hold down the trigger on the Uzi and then call it crap because they're out of ammo half way through the level.

    subedii on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Zombie people don't really take all that many hits to go down, do they? Life got much easier after I realized that I was emptying clips into dying zombies. Ratatat, ratatat, ratatat. Much easier.
    Nope, it doesn't take much and death animations aren't immediately obvious when you're not using a shotty. Also, the closer you are the more damage guns do. It definitely takes self-control to preserve your ammo with the automatics.

    Always try and burst your fire, especially at range. Preserves ammo and aim.

    There are so many people that just hold down the trigger on the Uzi and then call it crap because they're out of ammo half way through the level.

    Also just don't shoot at zombies long range, that's a job for the hunting rifle. I think ammo on the automatics is too harsh though, considering that you'll basically never run out with any other gun.

    Zek on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    this game looks like sex and i don't even have a great PC.

    iowa on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In my 20 hours or so of Left 4 Dead, I ran out of ammo for the smg once. And that's because everyone else kept on getting downed and I'd have to kill all the zombies that were kicking them.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    Zombie people don't really take all that many hits to go down, do they? Life got much easier after I realized that I was emptying clips into dying zombies. Ratatat, ratatat, ratatat. Much easier.
    Nope, it doesn't take much and death animations aren't immediately obvious when you're not using a shotty. Also, the closer you are the more damage guns do. It definitely takes self-control to preserve your ammo with the automatics.

    Always try and burst your fire, especially at range. Preserves ammo and aim.

    There are so many people that just hold down the trigger on the Uzi and then call it crap because they're out of ammo half way through the level.

    Also just don't shoot at zombies long range, that's a job for the hunting rifle. I think ammo on the automatics is too harsh though, considering that you'll basically never run out with any other gun.

    The assault rifle actually does a pretty good job of headshotting at range, you just need to take your time and try to squeeze of single shots.

    subedii on
  • AndrewPaulAndrewPaul Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I started with the shotgun, and when I switched to a SMG the game got noticeably harder: "What, you mean I actually have to aim?"

    AndrewPaul on
    AndrewPaul.png
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stalled at 93% :x

    PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    AndrewPaul wrote: »
    I started with the shotgun, and when I switched to a SMG the game got noticeably harder: "What, you mean I actually have to aim?"

    Whenever everyone else on my team takes shotguns I get scared because I just know one of the fuckers is going to down me.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    In my 20 hours or so of Left 4 Dead, I ran out of ammo for the smg once. And that's because everyone else kept on getting downed and I'd have to kill all the zombies that were kicking them.

    This is the only time I've found that it's best to lay down a stream of lead, rather than short bursts.
    Not counting when the tank is hot on your heels.

    Roland_tHTG on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stupid question: how do I use the PA L4D group to find games? I only see options to search public matches and friends matches.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    join community chat

    Roland_tHTG on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stupid question: how do I use the PA L4D group to find games? I only see options to search public matches and friends matches.

    You join the chat.

    Peewi on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You join the chat

    LittleBoots on

    Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You join the navy.

    subedii on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stupid question: how do I use the PA L4D group to find games? I only see options to search public matches and friends matches.

    In case you mean on the 360, you get your friend request accepted, then you view the friends list of PA L4D and add everybody on it.

    expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stryker43 on
    camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This game is quite fun.

    stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm downloading this piece of shit of a game.

    TheBog on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    Hey guys, for off topic, or tangentially related to topic, discussion come join us on IRC.

    Network is Slashnet (irc.slashnet.org)
    Channel is #paforums_l4d (although you can find a lot of us in #paforums_tf2 and plain #paforums)
    this is bad information, if you join #paforums_tf2 i will just bully you till you leave

    BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I could sure use one of them fancy invites of yours.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/akimboeg

    AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    AndrewPaul wrote: »
    I started with the shotgun, and when I switched to a SMG the game got noticeably harder: "What, you mean I actually have to aim?"

    Whenever everyone else on my team takes shotguns I get scared because I just know one of the fuckers is going to down me.
    huh? what are you talking about

    *accidentally shotguns DeMoN in the back*

    BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    AndrewPaul wrote: »
    I started with the shotgun, and when I switched to a SMG the game got noticeably harder: "What, you mean I actually have to aim?"

    Whenever everyone else on my team takes shotguns I get scared because I just know one of the fuckers is going to down me.
    huh? what are you talking about

    *accidentally shotguns DeMoN in the back*

    WTF is a a shotgun doing in the back?

    My preferred method of play is with the shotgun, crouching, in front.

    expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    expendable wrote: »
    BEAST! wrote: »
    DeMoN wrote: »
    AndrewPaul wrote: »
    I started with the shotgun, and when I switched to a SMG the game got noticeably harder: "What, you mean I actually have to aim?"

    Whenever everyone else on my team takes shotguns I get scared because I just know one of the fuckers is going to down me.
    huh? what are you talking about

    *accidentally shotguns DeMoN in the back*

    WTF is a a shotgun doing in the back?

    My preferred method of play is with the shotgun, crouching, in front.
    *accidentally shotguns expendable in the back of the head*

    BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd like to try the demo with other PAers. Someone invite Quid. Or it might be allenquid. One of the two.

    Quid on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One of the funniest moments is when someone on my team managed to shoot and kill one of our teammates. He was on his last life with like 10 health, and he just couldn't withstand that shotgun blast.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Probably the biggest laugh I've had out of this game is when we make it to the second safe room. We dont all go in because we dont want to trigger the cinematic, so while we're voting on a restart whoever was playing Bill threw a gas can into the safe room along with a molotov and closed the door, leaving us to burn to death in the safe-room-turned-oven while he capped the last member of our team.

    Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The funniest thing is that Asiina is incapable of playing a game with me without shooting me the second I turn my back.

    No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    First game just finished, really cool - though it was beyond laggy. Normal seemed hella easy, might try harder next time. Went through with pistols basically.

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    so steam is giving me "game is unavailable at this time" message whenever I try to start left4dead

    I have tried restarting everything several times, but nothing is working


    :(:(

    Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    a boomer vomitted on me and it just wasn't worth it so i yelled

    "LEAVE ME. I SMELL LIKE THEM" and i ran in the opposite direction as my team.

    really. honestly. if you're not playing on expert you're not playing the game

    Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone else get strange stutters when playing? The game runs smooth as hell, and everyone once in a while it will freeze up. Its amazingly frustrating. I play at full pretty much everything, and I can run Crysis Warhead without issues.

    :x

    Gibb on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Gunstar wrote: »
    a boomer vomitted on me and it just wasn't worth it so i yelled

    "LEAVE ME. I SMELL LIKE THEM" and i ran in the opposite direction as my team.

    really. honestly. if you're not playing on expert you're not playing the game

    Like everyone said with Dead Space... Why do they make scary games too easy nowadays? If normal is this easy, I wonder how easy Easy is! Akimbo pistols ftw!

    Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honk wrote: »
    First game just finished, really cool - though it was beyond laggy. Normal seemed hella easy, might try harder next time. Went through with pistols basically.

    Could it maybe be your video settings? I've only had lag problems when matchmaking dumps us into a shitty server.

    DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
This discussion has been closed.