As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tofu wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Im actually not a fan of the tank, he ruins the game a lot of the time... there's no suspense or frantic fight, it's just a tank who runs up and rapes everyone, unless you exploit the AI. This seems to be bad design to me as exploiting corners and shit so he gets stuck running or perpetually climbing up a ledge is a little lame.

I'd be all for a chainsaw boss that doesn't get along with other zombies and will in fact kill them while chasing you down. Tanks are just bad form.

The other bosses are all about surprising you or doing something nasty like pulling you into a witch with a smoker. They're thrilling to take down and it stays fast paced. The tank is just all "shit, tank, everyone backpedal and shoot for a while."

Edit: (Or he's all about "okay, jump on and off of that car while everyone shoots at him.") Which is just as meh.
    I agree to a point. The only thing I would like to see changed about the tank is how only melee seems to get his attention. Shooting him should be enough and would encourage more teamwork by "kiting" him around.

That would probably be enough, maybe drop his HP or swing radius a little, a lot of the time due to ping he misses me entirely with the rock toss or haymaker and I still end out on my ass.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Im actually not a fan of the tank, he ruins the game a lot of the time... there's no suspense or frantic fight, it's just a tank who runs up and rapes everyone, unless you exploit the AI. This seems to be bad design to me as exploiting corners and shit so he gets stuck running or perpetually climbing up a ledge is a little lame.

I'd be all for a chainsaw boss that doesn't get along with other zombies and will in fact kill them while chasing you down. Tanks are just bad form.

The other bosses are all about surprising you or doing something nasty like pulling you into a witch with a smoker. They're thrilling to take down and it stays fast paced. The tank is just all "shit, tank, everyone backpedal and shoot for a while."

Edit: (Or he's all about "okay, jump on and off of that car while everyone shoots at him.") Which is just as meh.
    I agree to a point. The only thing I would like to see changed about the tank is how only melee seems to get his attention. Shooting him should be enough and would encourage more teamwork by "kiting" him around.

That's a thing many people don't seem to know. Melee can make him switch his aggro. Fighting the tank is about working as a team to confuse him and to never let him fully rape a person.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You can do that. You just need to be closer to him when you shoot than how close he is to the person he is after, which can can be tricky.

Easiest way to take him out is to stay close and constantly be firing. When he downs someone, and he will, everyone needs to RUN RIGHT UP IN HIS FACE AND UNLOAD ALL THEY GOT. You do more damage the closer you are to enemies. He'll drop decently fast like this.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »

You can do that. You just need to be closer to him when you shoot than how close he is to the person he is after, which can can be tricky.

Easiest way to take him out is to stay close and constantly be firing. When he downs someone, and he will, everyone needs to RUN RIGHT UP IN HIS FACE AND UNLOAD ALL THEY GOT. You do more damage the closer you are to enemies. He'll drop decently fast like this.

Yeah, that's fine and all but it's not fun.

When I get snagged by a hunter or smoker I say something like "crap help!" on the mic.
    When I get downed by a Tank I just sigh. It's not exciting or fun, it's like losing the lottery, you already expect it and you know it wont be good.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

When I get snagged by a hunter or smoker I say something like "crap help!" on the mic.
    When I get downed by a Tank I just sigh. It's not exciting or fun, it's like losing the lottery, you already expect it and you know it wont be good.

When you get downed by the tank, you know you die. So I'm with you there.

But, you can only hope that in the full release that the guys playing the tank have no idea what they're doing and let you slip by.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've killed a Tank before he's had the chance to kill a downed person.

I've also seen someone run up to a Tank and divert his attention away from a downed person. It's not a guranteed kill.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

When you get downed by the tank, you know you die. So I'm with you there.

But, you can only hope that in the full release that the guys playing the tank have no idea what they're doing and let you slip by.

Well, you can hope they vastly reduce tank hp and attack speed because as it is right now I've played on some servers with one of the survivors somehow switching teams and rushing us as a tank, and it's basically game over instantly because without retarded AI to exploit they win every time.

Edit: and in expert it is a kill. All it takes is two bonks and you die, no knock down waiting to get up, you are dead.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ColonCancerColonCancer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I've also seen someone run up to a Tank and divert his attention away from a downed person. It's not a guranteed kill.

I guess you havent played public servers much.

ColonCancer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you play with people who know what the hell they're doing, tanks are actually very killable.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I guess you havent played public servers much.

This game is so not about playing on Public servers. It's about playing with a group of people who aren't asshats. So no I don't, I play with PA people.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    If you play with people who know what the hell they're doing, tanks are actually very killable.

That doesn't make the encounter fun. They ruin the pacing. I'd rather face any three other bosses combined with a horde because it's interesting. Tanks are just boring. Killable or not.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Whatever, I like fighting Tanks. You hear his angry grunts and you're like "oh shit Tank", and then the music kicks in and you hear the giant thuds and everyone's freaked out and it's awesome.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Whatever, I like fighting Tanks. You hear his angry grunts and you're like "oh shit Tank", and then the music kicks in and you hear the giant thuds and everyone's freaked out and it's awesome.

That's the thing, I never see anyone "freak out" over a tank. They all just get irritated that it's in the way of an otherwise fun run.

Edit: Just different strokes, there's plenty to be happy with in the game and it's only a minor gripe, so if they don't change it I wont cancel my already-purchased pre-order or something.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry dispatch but I don't agree with you at all and personally find your opinions to be butt.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Sorry dispatch but I don't agree with you at all and personally find your opinions to be butt.

Agreed. Tanks don't frustrate me, and I don't think anyone I've played with was "annoyed" at the tanks. We are freaking out exactly because tanks often will rape us.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The pre-pay can be gifted, correct? I have a friend wanting to get it, but only has the means to do so by cash, and we'd like to play tonight. Is this a possibility?

Dourin on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We just had a great game on expert where we heard the tank music start, and started freaking out. "OH SHIT HERE IT COMES" Etc.

The music suddenly just stops, and we have no clue what happened...

We found out later that it simply fell under the subway train. And just died.

So great.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    how big is the pc demo download? I want to play like a mother but my (college) connection goes between 20 kb/s and 400 kb/s depending on the time of day.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    We just had a great game on expert where we heard the tank music start, and started freaking out. "OH SHIT HERE IT COMES" Etc.

So great.
    That same game, I simply killed the witch with the minigun. She staggered through the right window, so I thought I was fucked. Fortunately, her death animation is just long.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shankusu wrote: »
    how big is the pc demo download? I want to play like a mother but my (college) connection goes between 20 kb/s and 400 kb/s depending on the time of day.

About 3gb

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shankusu wrote: »

3200 MB I think. Which is about 3 GB.

Beaten by Hitsu.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    On one of my recent games the witch sat just inside the door into the generator room.

I was at 10 temp health, so I sacrificed myself and started shooting at her from the window.

Three autoshotty rounds and she dropped like a sack of hammers. Huh.

Echo on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apparently I am very good at shotgunning my teamates in the face.

EDIT: also that moltoving tanks just annoys them, making you fight a FLAMING tank.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »

So great.
    That same game, I simply killed the witch with the minigun. She staggered through the right window, so I thought I was fucked. Fortunately, her death animation is just long.

Yes, that was awesome.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    nekosenekose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the coolest thing since cool came to cool town.

Anyone mind inviting me to the steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/nekose

nekose on
    Entropic in Nature.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Apparently I am very good at shotgunning my teamates in the face.

EDIT: also that moltoving tanks just annoys them, making you fight a FLAMING tank.
    l4ddemhospital02subway0ld8.jpg

That's a hunter beating me down, I tried to get a shot of the flaming tank but he killed me to fast.
    If you squint though I think thats him next to the left train carriage

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Zombies use chainsaws

Wrong wrong wrong.
    Survivors use chainsaws.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Note to self:
    Hitsu is so out to get me! I know that crazy Crocodile Dundee hating Wallaby has it in for me, however he’s always hiding behind that 'nice guy' disguise...but I’m not falling for it. Be sure I always watch his back instead of the other way around so I can keep an eye on him. He's probably up something even as I speak.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Note to self:
    Think Dr.Oblivious may be on to my attempts to kill him, need to work on better methods of subterfuge for future attempts, possibly regale him with stories of Kangaroos and wombats (maybe even dingoes).
    Also attempt to have Phoenix_Decoy (That's what the D really stands for) along to further remove suspicion

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh my god. I'm going to play this map with my friends on Left 4 Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTvqkzLXcJY

Oh fuck yes.

RCagent on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if only you could put raptor heads on all da zombies

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Does the 360 demo have splitsceen?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    Oh my god. I'm going to play this map with my friends on Left 4 Dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTvqkzLXcJY

Oh fuck yes.

Good god, this map would brilliant for L4D.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    Does the 360 demo have splitsceen?
    Yes.

I wish there was away to change the orientation of the split screen though, I much prefer top and bottom than left and right.

tofu on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this demo going to be pre-order only or how does that work?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if only you could put raptor heads on all da zombies

If you pray hard enough to Raptor Jesus your wishes will come true.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pre-order got you early access to the demo on the 6th. However, the demo will go public this tuesday Nov 11th but will end as soon as the game is released.

You should be able to change the orientation of the split-screen on the 360. It was stated in the previews you could choose which way to slice it and people got it working both ways on the PC version through some console/config trickery.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh. My. God.

Finally got a chance to sit down and play the demo. Two hours of my life vanished before I knew it.

Everything about the game is just brilliant.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this demo going to be pre-order only or how does that work?

Nov 11. The day the COD 5 beta dies.

Thanks Tertiee.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, the news that the Reputation/Demerit system got axed has guarenteed that I will never, ever play this game with pubbies. Too many people out there think TK'ing is the height of comedy.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
This discussion has been closed.