As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RCagent wrote: »
    I remember Valve saying how the A.I DIrector would lower difficulty of the next depending on how you did on the first?

Well, my friends and I somehow managed to get through the first stage with only using one medkit and everyone was in green Health. And this was on Expert.

So the next level with the subway was fucking impossible. The A.I Director was PISSED. Whenever there was a Zombie Horde Swarm, it would seperate and surround us all the time. Zombies would constantly spawn from infront of us and from behind. Not to mention that there was ALWAYS a Tank somewhere in the level, and there were never any pipebombs or molotovs to pick up. The game would also whenever people were down on the floor, it would send a Boomer to spawn MORE Zombies.

So yeah, DON'T PISS OFF THE A.I DIRECTOR.

Also, what setting offers the best performance for Page Memory Available? I'm thinking "HIGH" but I could be wrong.

Always sacrifice at least one team mate to appease the director before you close that safe door.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    would love an armadeaddon invite please.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197971048959

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I like it when games are difficult. Especially games revolving around the zombie apocalypse

so I kind of love the fact that the Director will shit on you if you're breezing through the content at first

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

Your page says you're already in.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »

was invited just 2 minutes prior to your post :)

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Two minutes prior to my post was your post. Stop being so floaty. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I don't think you're ever going to live that down Klyka.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Aumni wrote: »

I don't think you're ever going to live that down Klyka.

Don't worry,I got head bob now.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ah hells naw.. i forgot the demo for PC was released tuesday. Downloading when I get home.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This game is so goddamn beautiful. If I crank up aa/antistropy all the way up how significant will the effect be on my performance compared with visuals?

I can do it in all the older source games, but I'm afraid to try and push it past 2x on this.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    does the demo count as having preloaded the game?

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have the demo on both PC and 360. Tried the PC version last night and it looks like ass for me (because I have to keep things low, barely scraping the minimum), but it worked. I was surprised.

Will have to try the 360 version tonight, but.. damn, I don't need more games to buy. Also I figure the 360 version will be easier for me to get a game going (for me at least, I know people on my friends list better, voice chat is easier and just ready to go), but probably anyone from here will be getting the PC version.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    This game is so goddamn beautiful. If I crank up aa/antistropy all the way up how significant will the effect be on my performance compared with visuals?

I can do it in all the older source games, but I'm afraid to try and push it past 2x on this.

just try it out

or is your computer prone to explosions at high settings or something

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've found something that I think would be interesting to server admins. A Steam Client Beta is available and it has this in it:
    Added support for upcoming L4D server groups feature
    Our thinking is that you'll tie a Steam group directly to your game server, and
    then allowing people inside of that group to browse and connect to it. The
    server would be able to pull people from this method, and from matchmaking at
    the same time.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I have the demo on both PC and 360. Tried the PC version last night and it looks like ass for me (because I have to keep things low, barely scraping the minimum), but it worked. I was surprised.

Will have to try the 360 version tonight, but.. damn, I don't need more games to buy. Also I figure the 360 version will be easier for me to get a game going (for me at least, I know people on my friends list better, voice chat is easier and just ready to go), but probably anyone from here will be getting the PC version.

I don't understand statements about voice chat being easier on Xbox. I don't see how it could be any simpler. You plug in the microphone, you test it in the in game options and adjust the transmit volume to a suitable level and then you press the button to talk in game. Hell. L4D even has the option to automatically transmit whenever you're speaking.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quick! To the Job/n signal!

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well as for ease of getting a game going, we've got our own Steam group with over 350 members at the last count. You can enter chat at any time, and most evenings there's between 20 and 30 people on there, so getting a game going with other PA members is pretty simple.

And voice chat is easier? Well, I'm not sure why you consider it so difficult to use voice chat in a Source game, but it's natively supported in L4D (push-to-talk, you can also set it to do so automatically when you speak. Most people prefer push-to-talk though) and almost all the regulars have their own headsets.

EDIT: Beat'd

subedii on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've found something that I think would be interesting to server admins. A Steam Client Beta is available and it has this in it:
    the same time.

I am so happy to read these words that I will be buying 15 servers!

(Not really. 1 minimum, 2 max.)

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    the same time.

Man, Valve are ridiculously on the ball aren't they? I can't think of any other company that responds this fast with patches and feature updates like this.

subedii on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I don't understand statements about voice chat being easier on Xbox. I don't see how it could be any simpler. You plug in the microphone, you test it in the in game options and adjust the transmit volume to a suitable level and then you press the button to talk in game. Hell. L4D even has the option to automatically transmit whenever you're speaking.

For some reason a lot of console gamers have this raging hatred for push to talk (yea it can be disabled on PC)

I saw it a lot when Halo 3 released. Personally, I'd rather not hear people talking to their mom, breathing hard as they finish off that family size Cheetos.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    the same time.

Man, Valve are ridiculously on the ball aren't they? I can't think of any other company that responds this fast with patches and feature updates like this.

I wonder if a single server can be tied to multiple groups. For example, all the PA hosted groups could be tied to both the PA group and Armadeaddon.

Peewi on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh my god. I feel sorry for this poor bastard I was pubbing with.

The guy got pulled by a smoker so I had to chase after to free him. I finally drop the smoker, but the second that smoker is gone a hunter pounces him. Well I'm not gonna let my boy take that kind of abuse so I fire two shotgun blasts into the hunter. The first knocks that screaming fuck off of him, the second kills the hunter... but it also hits a boomer that decided fat guys can party too. So now hes covered in bile and a swarm is jumping over cars and over turned vehicles to tear him apart. Well, I don't know if it was panic or if he just didn't see him but another member decided to drop a molotov on the horde... while our boy was caught in the middle of it.

He took it all in great stride and was just laughing throughout his misery. The best part was that even though it was one terrible event after another, it was still fun and exciting.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well for me personally, I plug headset into controller and I'm done. I pull up my friends list, see someone playing, and I'm in.

On the PC, I've got to find people on my friends list who are playing, see if they're in a game or ready to go, go into chat and try to find some other people who are wanting to play. As for voice chat, I do have a microphone, but my choices for sound output are either everything through the speaker on the headset (bad) or everything out my PC's speakers (not great, as voices will get mixed in with everything else). I've not got a good way to split the outputs.

Basically for me, it's a hell of a lot easier to do things on the 360.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the same time.

That's fantastic, I've been thinking that would be a great feature to have. I just hope they don't make the group match making too floaty.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well for me personally, I plug headset into controller and I'm done. I pull up my friends list, see someone playing, and I'm in.

On the PC, I've got to find people on my friends list who are playing, see if they're in a game or ready to go, go into chat and try to find some other people who are wanting to play. As for voice chat, I do have a microphone, but my choices for sound output are either everything through the speaker on the headset (bad) or everything out my PC's speakers (not great, as voices will get mixed in with everything else). I've not got a good way to split the outputs.

Well since I only ever use a headset, I've never had that problem, but now that you mention it, it is an issue that could do with being addressed. If you've got a good surround sound setup you don't want to have to sacrifice that to be able to talk to other players.

Should probably e-mail Gabe Newell asking about that actually. It might simply be the case that they never thought of that.

As for the "friends list" thing, it sounds as if a lot of the problems you describe are just as easily applicable to the 360 version (depending on the size of your friends lists on XBL and Steam).

However, the Steam group actually sidesteps that issue. There's a huge community of like-minded players we've got right now, and there's always people online and up for a game. It's really awesome.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I don't doubt that, I'm in the well-populated PA Steam group anyway. I dunno, I'll try some online stuff over Steam while the demo's around to see how I get on and try to make my mind up.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

There's a good bit of 360 PAers getting L4D as well. Me and Kris, R25mg, and several people that lurk more than play. You're more than welcome to play with us.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you chaps are around tonight (for me at least) then I'll try to get on. Klyka needs to be on too, because I totally bailed on him last night :(

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    JonnyBotJonnyBot Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably be getting it for both since I got friends on both sides of the fence. Which I get first however, is a topic of great conflict with the wife.

JonnyBot on
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you chaps are around tonight (for me at least) then I'll try to get on. Klyka needs to be on too, because I totally bailed on him last night :(

I'll be on as the hour grows later too, i think you're on my friends list (TBK?).

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well since I only ever use a headset, I've never had that problem, but now that you mention it, it is an issue that could do with being addressed. If you've got a good surround sound setup you don't want to have to sacrifice that to be able to talk to other players.

I use 5.1 Headphones. They're better quality than my speakers are.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Suds wrote: »

I use 5.1 Headphones. They're better quality than my speakers are.

Huh, never heard of those. How much did they cost? And what sort of sound quality do you get compared to say, a standard 5.1 setup?

subedii on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How long does it take for the average human being to die of dehydration?

Because the zombie virus is rabies.

It's not rabies.

It's African Rabies.

[/WorldWarZ]

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

If you're replying to me, then send me a friend request and we'll get it going.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yorker wrote: »

I'll be on as the hour grows later too, i think you're on my friends list (TBK?).

Yup, I'm not a TBk regular by any means (not played Halo in some time), but you're on my list.

edit: Sheep, damn, I thought I had sent you one a while back through the Xbox site, but that didn't actually seem to work ever. I'll send one out tonight when I'm back from work and can get online.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    It really sucks to be a helicopter pilot in a zombie movie or game (see Dead Rising's "best" ending).

A tradition carried on from Aliens, among other places.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    How long does it take for the average human being to die of dehydration?

Because the zombie virus is rabies.

It's not rabies.

It's African Rabies.

[/WorldWarZ]

Didn't the Zulu and other such groups have a larger population than most countries after what went down?

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It really sucks to be a helicopter pilot in a zombie movie or game (see Dead Rising's "best" ending).

Barry Burton survives OK in Resident Evil 1 and 3.

subedii on
  • Options
    minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

But in two he stands in front of the window.

minigunwielder on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

But in two he stands in front of the window.

Resident Evil 2? I don't remember him even showing up there, that was a largely new cast of characters at the time wasn't it?

subedii on
This discussion has been closed.