As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Money for nothing, and the chicks are terrible SOLVED

MrSrslyMrSrsly Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This is the worlds worst alt, because i'm pretty ashamed of the whole thing.

So, long story short, my ex-girlfriend paid for my tuition last spring so I wouldnt get wiped from the rolls with the understanding that she would be paid back for it. My dad wrote her a check for 500 dollars, and then I gave her 300 bucks, with 100 more I owed her. I used the other 100 bucks to put gas in my car, and to take her out to eat. Then we had a huge falling out, and despite several attempts to reach out to her to be friends again, she's pretty much thrown the olive branch back in my face. Now she has sent me an email, demanding I pay her the 100 bucks, even though she hasn't mentioned it since the day i took her out to eat.

Part of me want's to just cave and pay her the money, even though i'm living from paycheck to paycheck as is,
and part of me thinks she's just being petty and vindictive, and is doing this to stir up trouble for me, so i shouldn't do it soley on principle.

MrSrsly on

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're going solely on principal, there's only one answer...

pay her.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrSrsly wrote: »
    part of me thinks she's just being petty and vindictive, and is doing this to stir up trouble for me, so i shouldn't do it soley on principle.

On principle you should pay her the money because you owe her the money, period, fullstop. While you may or may not have a legal obligation to repay her, there is absolutely no question whatsoever that you have a moral obligation to repay her.

"I owe her $100, but we were friends and she's a bitch now, so I shouldn't have to pay!" -- seriously, if this were Judge Judy, you'd be the jerk everybody boos. Sorry to put it so bluntly, but since you're an alt, at least you don't have to take it personally. :P

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Definitely pay up.

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    She might not have mentioned the money because she was waiting for you to do the responsible thing and pay it back, without needing to remind you. A kind of a test, if you will. Now that you have broken up, the debt is one of many things that annoys her about you and she is done being patient about it.

Pay her back as soon as you can. Not doing it because you don't get along anymore would make you the vindictive one.

Siska on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You don't have to, but you're a jerk if you don't.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Siska wrote: »
    She might not have mentioned the money because she was waiting for you to do the responsible thing and pay it back, without needing to remind you. A kind of a test, if you will. Now that you have broken up, the debt is one of many things that annoys her about you and she is done being patient about it.

Pay her back as soon as you can. Not doing it because you don't get along anymore would make you the vindictive one.

But we've been broken up for awhile now. We even started talking, again and she didn't bring it up. But months after the fact, she's hard up for cash because she's buying her ex-boyfriends groceries and pot and popping pills, and she's shaking me when I don't have bubkis?

How am I supposed to feel?

MrSrsly on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I used the other 100 bucks to put gas in my car, and to take her out to eat.

This seems to be your reason why you wouldn't pay her, and i'm not getting it. You put gas in YOUR car(unless that was a typo and meant her) and took her out to eat, something I'm sure you did even before she let you money.

So talk to her, explain your situation, and see if she can hold off on the money, or let you pay in installments.

Edit- Dude, you still owe her money. Suck it up.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

But we've been broken up for awhile now. We even started talking, again and she didn't bring it up. But months after the fact, she's hard up for cash because she's buying her ex-boyfriends groceries and pot and popping pills, and she's shaking me when I don't have bubkis?

It doesn't matter how you feel. it's a business transaction. She loaned you money, you are obligated to pay it back regardless of the circumstances.

Just look at her as your loan officer, not an ex. A loan officer who isn't charging interest, by the by...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Man up and stop making excuses, we're not going to give you permission to welsh on a debt you admit you owe.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pay her. Pay her what you can afford until you've paid her back. If that's $10 a paycheck for 10 paychecks, do that.

Don't put yourself in a position where you'll be in trouble though.

Ludious on
  • Options
    SigmaConditionSigmaCondition Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah dude. She may be being a bitch now and all, but she did lend you the money when you asked, so fork it over. Obviously, you didn't think that she still was owed that money after all this, but she is asking for it so pony up.
    Sucks, but at least after this you can wipe your hands.

SigmaCondition on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fuck, I know you're all right. I guess I just needed you guys to push me to do the right thing.

I'll write her, tell her I'll pay her what i can now, and pay the rest as i can.

I dont know what i'm going to do. I just got fired.

MrSrsly on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I thought you were living paycheck to paycheck?

But let her know that, depending on what type of person she is, she might just let you get your stuff settled before asking for the money again.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    I thought you were living paycheck to paycheck?

But let her know that, depending on what type of person she is, she might just let you get your stuff settled before asking for the money again.

I have been living paycheck to paycheck. Then I got shitcanned. I'll find a way to earn the money somehow.

MrSrsly on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Be glad she isn't saying she wants intrest.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe you chew her out about being a bitch, but you do that while paying her.

Eh, I don't think she'd have a claim to interest without explicitly laying that out before the loan was given.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    Maybe you chew her out about being a bitch, but you do that while paying her.

Eh, I don't think she'd have a claim to interest without explicitly laying that out before the loan was given.

You can't. Interest needs to be stated at the time of the loan and set at a fair rate.

But yeah, you're going to have to pay up. Explain your situation though.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the worlds worst alt, because i'm pretty ashamed of the whole thing.

So, long story short, my ex-girlfriend paid for my tuition last spring so I wouldnt get wiped from the rolls with the understanding that she would be paid back for it. My dad wrote her a check for 500 dollars, and then I gave her 300 bucks, with 100 more I owed her. I used the other 100 bucks to put gas in my car, and to take her out to eat. Then we had a huge falling out, and despite several attempts to reach out to her to be friends again, she's pretty much thrown the olive branch back in my face. Now she has sent me an email, demanding I pay her the 100 bucks, even though she hasn't mentioned it since the day i took her out to eat.

Part of me want's to just cave and pay her the money, even though i'm living from paycheck to paycheck as is,
    and part of me thinks she's just being petty and vindictive, and is doing this to stir up trouble for me, so i shouldn't do it soley on principle.
    Pay up. You still had an agreement before the fight.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Either you pay up, or you're a huge asshole, or dick, or douchebag, whichever has the most chances to reach you.

Pay her.

Djiem on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Look, if you truly don't have the money, and paying her $100 means you get kicked out of your apartment, lose your car, whatever, then you have to tell her that you WILL pay her the $100, but you can't right now, because you just got fired.

This is a business transaction, but if the money isn't there, the money isn't there. Agree to her that you do owe her the $100, but then work out how you can actually pay her back.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm just gonna have to sell some things, shuffle some bills around.

MrSrsly on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I used the other 100 bucks to put gas in my car, and to take her out to eat.

This makes it pretty clear that you didn't pay her the last $100... so you owe her $100

illig on
This discussion has been closed.