As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Refurb vs new

Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm shopping around for an XBox 360 at the moment. I came into a 50 dollar Game Stop gift card a few days ago so that is the route I'm going to take as far as purchasing goes. Now what I would like to know is a new XBox 360 with a 60 gig hard drive at $299.99 better than purchasing a Refurb system for 159.99, a 60 gig drive with xbox live and headset for $99.99, and a wired third party producer controller for 19.99 coming out to $279.97 a better deal? If you have any other opinions I am more than happy to hear them.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tucanwarrior13 on

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you purchase a refurb xbox 360 from Gamestop and something goes wrong you have no warranty at all. Gamestop won't touch it and neither will Microsoft. Buy the hardware new. I got this info from when I worked as a Gamestop manager.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elin wrote: »
    If you purchase a refurb xbox 360 from Gamestop and something goes wrong you have no warranty at all. Gamestop won't touch it and neither will Microsoft. Buy the hardware new. I got this info from when I worked as a Gamestop manager.

Wow I believe that completely drove me away from a refurb system. Thank you very much for that.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Elin wrote: »

Wow I believe that completely drove me away from a refurb system. Thank you very much for that.

Yeah, it would be a different story if the Xbox was the pinnacle of reliability, but...

TL DR on
  • FreeAgentFreeAgent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They're right. Current Gamestop policy gives you a 30 day warranty, but after that, unless you bought the extended warranty, which will likely drive you up to the same price as the new one, you're out of luck. Better to get the new one, where you'll have a 1 year from Microsoft, and 3 years if the problem is the red ring.

FreeAgent on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yea, I had to learn the hard way never to buy refurb again.

I bought a refurb along with a warranty two years ago. About four months later my 360 crapped out so I got my warrant and returned it. Six months later, that one also crapped out. What no one ever told me was the GS warranty is only for a one time use. So I called Microsoft and basically bitched and bitched until they took it back at no cost.

But still. Never again.

noir_blood on
  • i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I just bought a refurb 360 not too long ago and I really can't stress enough on being cautious on where you buy it. I got mine off of a 5 gold star site google reccomended and I ended up getting a unit that had the red rings after only a week. Thank god for the microsoft replacement program which fixed it for free but honestly I'd just buy a new one. Your way better off by saving yourself the possible hassle plus you'll get the warranty and you wouldn't be spending that much more on it anyway.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Buy a new Arcade system for $199, then take advantage of the special upgrade offer to get a refurb 20GB hard drive from Microsoft, with 3 months of Live, for $29. Toss in the messaging pack (wired headset, plus super-useful mini keyboard that fits right into the controller) for another $25 shipped, grab a $3 HDMI cable from monoprice.com, and you'll be fully-loaded with new, warranty-covered gear for under $260.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have actually had good luck with a refurb system that I bought off of eBay from a reputable eBay store. Had two lights which I determined was the power brick being on the carpet. Now that I've got everything properly ventilated I've had no issues.

To be safe I bought a two year warranty through SquareTrade, which begins after the Microsoft warranty on the console in February. Long story short, I bought a Premium 360 w/ 20gb HD with the Falcon whatnot and an HDMI port + warranty until Feb 2011 for $150.

This is just one man's successful (knock on wood) story though.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    look out for the next Dell coupon and buy from them... they have the Arcade for $180 and Pro for $280 every few days

illig on
    edited November 2008
    If I go the route of buying the arcade, the memory, and the other chord you mentioned is that the chord you need to play in true HD? I just got a 20 inch HDTV for my birthday, and if I get a 360 I want to play that motherfucker in true HD

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Yes, an HDMI cable is what you'll need for the best quality picture. It used to be that only the Elites had HDMI ports. Then Pros got the port, but you had to buy the cable separately. Now even the Arcades have HDMI, but again, you'll need to pick up the cable on your own. If you try buying one in a store, it'll set you back anywhere from $25 (store brand) to $90 (Monster Super X-Treem Gaming Hi-Definition Edition). That's why monoprice.com is awesome, because they sell standard 6-ft HDMI cables for like $4 plus shipping, and they're pretty fast. You'll want something like this one.

Kate of Lokys on
    edited November 2008
    Oh cool. Thank you for the help, and it's not a 20 inch it's a 30 inch...just thought I'd put that out there. As for X-box live; the arcade says it comes with a headset. Can I set up an account through the X-Box itself or do I still have to purchase the X-Box Live box like the last gen one?

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you want to pay for gold by credit card, or just want a silver account, then no, you don't need to buy anything extra

Gdiguy on
    edited November 2008
    Supposedly Dell is going to have an insanely good deal for Black Friday. Something like Xbox arcade and seven games for 180 or the like. I'll try to find you the link.

But even then, you should probably wait till after thanksgiving.

noir_blood on
    edited November 2008
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Supposedly Dell is going to have an insanely good deal for Black Friday. Something like Xbox arcade and seven games for 180 or the like. I'll try to find you the link.

But even then, you should probably wait till after thanksgiving.

Well it will most likely work out that way as I've figured I'll have the money in two to three weeks.
    If that is true. I....I......well I'll be so overjoyed.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Here's the link. It's the arcade version for seven games including Rock Band 2 for 199. Pretty damn good deal actually, and that's without knowing what the other six games are.

noir_blood on
    edited November 2008
    Well, the "Arcade Holiday Bundle" already comes with 6 games, technically - five Live Arcade titles, plus Sega Superstars Tennis or something. And the phrasing of that ad suggests that it's just the Rock Band 2 disc, no instruments ("Rock Band 2 Game").

So, the only thing extra you're getting in the Dell deal is an RB2 disc, but if you don't already have instruments to play with, it's not going to do you much good.

Kate of Lokys on
  • WootloopsWootloops Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're still shopping around for an xbox, as mentioned above, Dell gets some pretty nice deals. They're offering the Elite with a 15% discount (or Pro), depending on which you want. Unless you're an employee somewhere, its probably the best deal you're going to find. Granted, that Arcade deal looks pretty sweet too. It's up to you - wait, or nab one now.

Coupon Code: PWXNZVNDRWWX1P

It'll expire today, though, so think quick.

Wootloops on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    This is all really good to know. Thank you very much. I'm assuming it doesn't come with insturments. Though if it came with insturments that would be fan-fucking-tastic.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2008
    Buy a new Arcade system for $199, then take advantage of the special upgrade offer to get a refurb 20GB hard drive from Microsoft, with 3 months of Live, for $29. Toss in the messaging pack (wired headset, plus super-useful mini keyboard that fits right into the controller) for another $25 shipped, grab a $3 HDMI cable from monoprice.com, and you'll be fully-loaded with new, warranty-covered gear for under $260.

I have done exactly what you said. So far I have the system ordered, along with the HDMI cable. I went through Dell last Friday which means I got rock band 2. I picked up a used guitar, and Left 4 Dead. All that is left is to get the system, and do the 20 gig refurb drive deal.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    It's not necessarily true that GameStop used = no warranty. I got mine used from GameStop, and when it RROD'd I sent it in to MS and they replaced it without a word.

I think it might depend on whether anybody has registered that unit's serial number with the warranty system before.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OremLK wrote: »
    It's not necessarily true that GameStop used = no warranty. I got mine used from GameStop, and when it RROD'd I sent it in to MS and they replaced it without a word.

I think it might depend on whether anybody has registered that unit's serial number with the warranty system before.

It really doesn't matter. As long as the purchase date is less than 3 years ago and it hasn't been tampered with, they should take it. You're most likely out of luck with the 1 year warrantee for general issues though.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Buy a new Arcade system for $199, then take advantage of the special upgrade offer to get a refurb 20GB hard drive from Microsoft, with 3 months of Live, for $29.
    There is one potentially important thing to note with getting a 20GB drive these days. With the 360's OS on there, you get a little under 12GB of usable space, I think. A few downloads, some Arcade stuff, and some save games later, you're probably looking at ~8-9GB of free space. That's about what I have free on my 20GB drive. Now that you can install games to the hard disk to speed up load times, that's enough for exactly one game, as long as that one game only has one disk (each DVD holds up to 6GB). For some games, the improvement in loading times is significant when the game is played from the HD. Personally, I'd really recommend getting the 60GB drive, so you'll have room for at least a handful of games that you're actively playing. I'm currently considering upgrading from the 20GB drive to a 60GB so I can have enough space to copy my currently active games (Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead and Rock Band 2) to the drive.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This is truth. Fable 2 would actually lag when played from disk and since the mini games are timing based it was pretty unplayable for me. Once I installed it, no more lag at all. I'm thinking that a 120gb drive will be mine at student loan/tax/holiday time.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391