As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Charlotte's Web: Nickelodeon or Hanna Barbera?

BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it.Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm not asking anyone to do my homework for me, just so you know. I just want to know some opinions.

I'm going to be writing an essay for my Children's Literature class in a week or so, comparing a piece of children's literature that we read in class to a different adaptation of the story. Obviously, I picked Charlotte's Web, hence the title, and I want to compare it to a movie version of it.

I saw the Hanna Barbera animated one when I was a kid, and I'm pretty familiar with it. However, I know about the live action Nickelodeon one starring Dakota Fanning from a few years back, but I've never seen it before. Anyway, I'm wondering which one will make for a better comparison/contrast in the essay, so what do you guys think?

Is the Nickelodeon one significantly different from the book? Is it at least good enough to sit all the way through, or is it so bad that upon watching it I will want to gouge out my eyes with sporks and put on a gruesome puppet show? What's the general consensus here? Again, I'm not asking for anyone to do my homework for me, I just want some opinions as to which movie is better and which one will make for a more interesting essay.

BigBear on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Would comparing the two movies to the original story be too in depth for this assignment? Comparing how each movie draws from the same story in a different way may be more interesting.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've never read the book, but I've seen both movies.

I love the classic cartoon one. I grew up with it and saw it a ton of times.
    The new one was generally alright, and very similar to the old one. There aren't any surprises in it for someone who's seen the cartoon. I personally don't prefer it but that might be because I thought the old one was just fine.

Thylacine on