Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Penny Arcade site doesn't support ETag right

talideontalideon Registered User
This weekend, I put together a small application to check if the frontpages of various sites were updated. It does this by doing a HEAD request and checking the ETag and Last-Modified headers, if present, to see if some significant change has been made to the page. If neither is present, it goes a GET request, hashes the page contents, and uses that as the fingerprint.

For some reason, each time it fetches http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic, it gets different ETag and Last-Modified headers, which shouldn't happen as, aside from the ad at the top of the page changing, there's no other significant changes. Is there any chance the site could be tweaked to properly support the ETag and Last-Modified headers and give them more reasonable values?

(Aside: I'm posting this here because there's no technical contact details on the main site, and none given in the "About this forum" topic.)

talideon on

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Isn't that page generated by a PHP script?

That would explain why the "last-modified" date is always different. I don't know how the Etag header is supposed to work, though.

japan on
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Isn't the site on Rails now?

Anyhow, the pages should really be built once and cached, since they'e all static content and the ads are pulled with javascript. I'm not the code monkey around here, though.

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • talideontalideon Registered User
    edited November 2006
    japan wrote:
    Isn't that page generated by a PHP script?

That would explain why the "last-modified" date is always different. I don't know how the Etag header is supposed to work, though.
    Shouldn't make the slightest difference what it's written in (though I'm aware the main site is written with RoR) as most webdev environments (with the exception of braindead ones such as older versions of ColdFusion) let you mess around with the response headers. In PHP, you do this with header().
    Echo wrote:
    Anyhow, the pages should really be built once and cached, since they'e all static content and the ads are pulled with javascript. I'm not the code monkey around here, though.
    That is indeed what ought to be happening, only it appears not to be.

Ah, well. Back to the drawing board. I'm going to see if there's any other way I can work around this.

talideon on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Have you tried E-Mailing Alphamonkey?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • talideontalideon Registered User
    edited November 2006
    Have you tried E-Mailing Alphamonkey?
    No, but that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. The Penny Arcade site itself lists no technical contacts, so I'd no idea who to contact, hence my posting here. I'll pop off an email shortly.

talideon on