As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Hunt for Cheesecake Prime!

MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've got friends coming over tonight and cooking dinner for me. One of the girls and I wanted to make a cheesecake from scratch. Nothing fancy, just a plain old New York style cheesecake. Here's my problem: If I do a search for "New York Cheesecake recipe," I get about 17.5 Metric Fucktons of results covering everything from Sara Lee Cheesecake to BEST FUKIN CHEEZCAEK IN WURLD. I don't know who to trust, and though most of the recipes are at least similar, they are all different. I was hoping one of you fine Gents/Ladies might have experience with an online recipe that you can link me to, or a recipe of your own.

Thanks in advance. :)

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
MayGodHaveMercy on

• Options
    rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've got friends coming over tonight and cooking dinner for me. One of the girls and I wanted to make a cheesecake from scratch. Nothing fancy, just a plain old New York style cheesecake. Here's my problem: If I do a search for "New York Cheesecake recipe," I get about 17.5 Metric Fucktons of results covering everything from Sara Lee Cheesecake to BEST FUKIN CHEEZCAEK IN WURLD. I don't know who to trust, and though most of the recipes are at least similar, they are all different. I was hoping one of you fine Gents/Ladies might have experience with an online recipe that you can link me to, or a recipe of your own.

Thanks in advance. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycxKlc4aYy0

I fully trust alton.

rfalias on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alton Brown is a Golden God.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So far this video is awesome.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Make sure to watch part 2.

rfalias on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay, will do. I'm at work, so I'm kind of watching it in bits and pieces. :|

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Okay, will do. I'm at work, so I'm kind of watching it in bits and pieces. :|

Haha me too. I watch and pause it when I hear someone coming.

That show has passed many hours at work. I love the scienceyness (That is infact...... not a real word)

rfalias on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Alton does the cream cheese route, but I actually prefer cheesecake the Joy of Cooking way, where you use cottage cheese. It's simpler, fluffier, and less heavy, which I appreciate. You have to blend the cottage cheese, though, to get the lumps out, but that's easy.

I also make cheesecake in a regular pie crust, because both my wife and I prefer it to the crumby crust. It makes it taste more like a pastry, which we both like.

edit to add: my point, ultimately, is that if you make sure your cheesecake batter is smooth, most any cheesecake will taste good. Following Alton's will give you a good cheesecake, I'm sure (if you have a kitchen-aid ;D), but it's not super-hard.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Alton Brown is a Golden God.

Pretty much any time I have a cooking question I first check to see if there's a Good Eats on the subject. If nothing else it'll teach you about the subject so you know how to tell a good recipe from a bad one.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'd never even seen the show before. Had no idea it existed at all. Hopefully it will prove to be a culinary goldmine in the future.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    AnarchiaAnarchia Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I'd never even seen the show before. Had no idea it existed at all. Hopefully it will prove to be a culinary goldmine in the future.

It's a culinary and science gold mine. Think about it as Bill Nye teaching food science. Episodes can get a little bit repetitive if you binge-watch them, but otherwise they're hilarious.

Anarchia on
    SteamID : LizWiz