As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Inauguration

2»

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hate negative Nancies. :(

So I was going to drive down from upstate New York, possibly meeting up with anyone along the way. It seems our best option would be, after looking at the Washington Metro website, to find a hotel within an hour of the Greenbelt metro station, which we can then take into the city if we go early enough. Once we're actually in the city, well unless we all manage to wrangle tickets out of our reps, we'll probably be stuck someplace shitty.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That Lincoln inauguration address is kind of bullshit.

Most overrated president evar.

Qingu on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Variable wrote: »
    hakk, without pause I'd bring anyone able to go, but this negative nancy argument has gotten to me. I guess I'll write my rep?
    It looks like at this point, if you haven't written/called your rep yet and you live within a few hours of DC and/or are in a Democratic area, I wouldn't hold your breath. If you're far away and in a rural or Republican area, you might have a shot.

I mean, if you don't have a ticket, it's not the end of the world (and you can still go -- you won't be the only one to show up without one), but they're going to be hard to come by.
    Dman wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    tempting, since mom lives in Silver Spring, but still. That's gotta be a hellish crowd, and the metro will be stressed to the breaking point. Also: cold.

HD TV counts as witnessing an event, right?

I'm hoping this will be streamed live online......

It'll be airing on pretty much every TV station that does news, at least over here. I would guess a lot of them will be doing some streaming. Heck, if you don't mind crappy quality, there's always C-Span.

Related to the Lincoln mention:
    The theme of the 2009 inauguration, which is set by the official inaugural committee, is "A New Birth of Freedom," a phrase from the Gettysburg Address, in honour of the 2009 bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth.

Also, on the official website, you can watch them build the platform for everyone. ...They've already been going for a month now.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While I would have an easy time getting to the inauguration since I live in DC, it seems like it'll be impossible to get tickets since we don't have Reps or Senators...

KalTorak on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    While I would have an easy time getting to the inauguration since I live in DC, it seems like it'll be impossible to get tickets since we don't have Reps or Senators...

who wants to chip in for a zeppelin

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

foolish constituant. you have a non-voting rep.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Hmm, this must be the most interesting part of their job.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TK-42-1 wrote: »

Yeah, she's swamped with requests. ETA: Actually, she's not even taking names anymore.

seasleepy on
    Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    KatholicKatholic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

who wants to chip in for a zeppelin

A Kirov Zeppelin

Katholic on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Qingu wrote: »

It's because he invokes God, isn't it? Read what he was saying and then consider how badly the radical Republicans he was trying to convert fucked up Reconstruction. That was his point.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My congressman is a newly elected republican and the last one was a republican too. I made my distaste for him pretty apparent last year when he came to visit, so ass kissing is difficult.

Lautenberg is also like a zillion years old and I just don't like Menendez.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Nobody likes either of them except the Republicans who just don't seem willing to run someone even remotely decent vs them.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It's because he invokes God, isn't it? Read what he was saying and then consider how badly the radical Republicans he was trying to convert fucked up Reconstruction. That was his point.

Actually I think it was Lincoln/Johnson/Grant who fucked up Reconstruction. The radical republicans were awesome.

Speaker on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaker wrote: »

Actually I think it was Lincoln/Johnson/Grant who fucked up Reconstruction. The radical republicans were awesome.

It's kind of hard to blame Lincoln for fucking up the Reconstruction, seeing as he was dead at the time, but Johnson, and, to a lesser degree, Grant, I'll give you.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    2008-11-12.gif

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    lunasealunasea Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RedTide wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Nobody likes either of them except the Republicans who just don't seem willing to run someone even remotely decent vs them.

My friend's dad ran Zimmerman's campaign against Lautenberg. Motherfucker is just way too old and ingrained as fuck. He's tough to beat.

lunasea on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008

The "radical" Republicans earned that name for kerrazy things like being against lynching and reprisals against freedmen.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2008

Seriously, can you support this at all, or is this just you being all creepy and stalkery about God again? Because Lincoln's career aside - and you need some seriously major ammo to call him "most overrated" - the Second Inaugural is considered one of the great American pieces of rhetoric for a reason. It's short, punchy, and lays a path for healing and reconciliation while at the same time not sparing or excusing the people who caused the war.

Jacobkosh on