As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Workout attire

embrikembrik Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Not sure if this belongs in the fitness thread, but it's a fairly straightforward question that can stand on its own.

I've started regular exercise after years of being lazy, and I'm gonna start getting to a gym/fitness center for the winter months. I'm not sure I even own a pair of sweatpants. What kinds of clothing are the norm for a gym visit? I'm assuming that jeans are probably not the ideal attire :)

Any suggestions?

"Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
embrik on

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Shorts/sweats + tshirt

Maybe track pants.

Get good shoes if you're going to be running

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, usually shorts or track pants are just fine, and a regular t-shirt.

Kyougu on
  • DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Make sure your t-shirt is lightweight.

Also, I always wear shorts, especially in the winter months. Or at least shorts under some track pants that I can remove, and here's why: in the winter, gyms (around here at least) are notorious for cranking up the heat, and I just melt if I've got sweat pants on.

But whatever makes you comfortable. Comfortable athletic shoes are a must, and you're right, definately no jeans. Unless you enjoy being uncomfortable and restricted.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I see people wear the most ridiculous things at gyms (me included) so don't worry about "looking cool." You don't have to look good while you are working out, but you will look good after you are done! 8-)

X3x3non on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if you are doing a lot of cardio i suggest tight fitting clothes. loose clothes will feel heavy and irritate your skin from all the movement and chafing. this is even more of a big deal if you are running outside and/or it happens to be raining.

For weight lifting, just a t-shirt and shorts should be fine. but make sure you still have full range of motion without something like your elbow getting caught in your shirt sleeve. if you are benching and that happens it can really affect how much you lift.

If your hands start to hurt from the weights there are weight lifting gloves you can buy to stop that from happening.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Armless t-shirt, shorts. Bring a small towel with you too.

Rook on
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Target has cheap Champion-brand cool-max type stuff. Much better than cotton t-shirts.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably swing by Target on my way home. I need to pick up some shorts for sure. The only kind of shorts I have right know are khaki. Any brand recommendations for shorts, or just whatever looks good?

embrik on

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    embrik wrote: »
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably swing by Target on my way home. I need to pick up some shorts for sure. The only kind of shorts I have right know are khaki. Any brand recommendations for shorts, or just whatever looks good?

Get something lightweight, and if you're going to want somewhere to stash an MP3 player, pockets. I have a pair of Reebok shorts that are nice for this.

Get a wicking t-shirt. Cools you down and won't absorb sweat and get sodden. You can get these in basic t-shirt style as well as fitted depending on what you're comfortable with. I've got about four in t-shirt style for hitting the gym. I've had good luck getting this sort of thing at Winners, I think TJ Maxx is the US equivalent.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BRING A TOWEL.

Other than that it's pretty much whatever you want. Just go with something comfortable.

Blake T on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Corvus wrote: »

Get something lightweight, and if you're going to want somewhere to stash an MP3 player, pockets. I have a pair of Reebok shorts that are nice for this.

Get a wicking t-shirt. Cools you down and won't absorb sweat and get sodden. You can get these in basic t-shirt style as well as fitted depending on what you're comfortable with. I've got about four in t-shirt style for hitting the gym. I've had good luck getting this sort of thing at Winners, I think TJ Maxx is the US equivalent.

Underarmour (as it sounds like you're describing) is kind of expensive. If you have any plain cotton t-shirts that'll do fine.

I don't like Champion shorts, but Target does carry them. See if you can try them on before buying them. The last pair I tried on, there was an enormous bulge that shouldn't be for everyone to see.

If working out is something you're going to take seriously, it's a good investment to get good shorts that will last you a few years. Drop by Sports Authority or Dicks' Sporting Goods. Look at some soccer shorts or basketball shorts. Be prepared to drop $20-30 per pair if you choose this route. If you go to Target and get Champion, it'll be $15, but know there aren't any pockets.

There are reasons some clothes are cheaper than others.

Black Ice on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Black Ice wrote: »
    Corvus wrote: »

Underarmour (as it sounds like you're describing) is kind of expensive. If you have any plain cotton t-shirts that'll do fine.

Er, there are many options for this sort of clothing. Underarmor is one, but I've never used them and I suspect you might end up paying for image there. Looking at prices, that brand does seem overpriced.

However, every athletic company in the world pretty much makes wicking clothing. Reebok, Nike, Adidas, brooks, etc. You can get this stuff anywhere, and you can get a wicking shirt for around $20. Any athletic, running, outdoors, or department store has them. Though as I mentioned, I got mine at a discount store.

You can use cotton t-shirts if you want, but wicking stuff is much more comfortable if you're going to be sweating, at all. Its also more versatile if you want to get into outdoor athletic pursuits as well, where the phrase "cotton kills" can apply.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Champion C9 stuff at Target is all wicking fabric. And it's dirt cheap compared to other brands.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    if you're doing lifting, etc. make sure your shirts are long enough to avoid plumber's crack - the target stuff is great but some of it shrinks in the wash.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I used to work for the company that makes Under Armor - the off-brand stuff that WalMart sells is exactly the same, minus the logo and the price.

Oh, and definitely go with shorts! I tried jogging in workout pants once and I thought I would die.

Manda on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Don't wear a cutoff shirt. Don't wear a cutoff shirt. Don't wear a cutoff shirt.

It contributes to the spread of bacteria because more of skin is on machine, you're more likely to drip sweat everywhere as well as stink. Please, don't be that guy. Thankfully, my school's gym banned cutoffs this year after so many complaints.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks! I stopped at Target yesterday evening and picked up a few of the Champion shirts and shorts and it worked out great for my first trip. I'll probably check out some nicer stuff if I stick with this (which I think I will, I have enough people ready to kick my ass if I don't :) )

embrik on

• GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Make sure your t-shirt is lightweight.

picture.jpg
    What's that you say?

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Manda wrote: »
    I used to work for the company that makes Under Armor - the off-brand stuff that WalMart sells is exactly the same, minus the logo and the price.

Oh, and definitely go with shorts! I tried jogging in workout pants once and I thought I would die.

I'd heard the exact opposite from an industry "insider." That's interesting...

Also, most gyms are often pretty laid back about what you wear, and it can help with some kinds of exercise. In my gym I got permission to use the treadmill while wearing hiking boots and carrying a 40 lb. pack, since that's the conditioning that matters to me.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I usually wear an old t-shirt (one I don't care about sweating in), not a cutoff t-shirt, a pair of nylon soccer shorts, compression shorts (keep everything organized and not bouncing around), and proper running shoes.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sorry, can't resist asking, but when you guys say cutoff shirt, are you talking like 21 jumpstreet style?

People seriously wear that shit still?

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    eternalbl wrote: »
    Sorry, can't resist asking, but when you guys say cutoff shirt, are you talking like 21 jumpstreet style?

People seriously wear that shit still?

No, like a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. So your armpit mess is displayed to everyone in its full glory.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png