As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Running a computer without a chipset fan [Solved]

Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi, all, I'm running a motherboard with an nForce4 chipset, and the chipset fan just died on me. It's been dying for weeks, but I wasn't exactly sure which fan was going down until tonight because that telltale buzzing was pretty intermittent. Now I know, and the question is--can I safely use the computer until Asus sends me a replacement fan? The ambient temperature in the case is pretty low, ~30 celcius. There is also my video card fan right above it that is blowing a little air through the heatsink.

Short version: Can I go without the chipset fan for an nForce4 board?

Dance Commander on

• Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're not overclocking, you should be fine. But chipset fans are what, $10? I would grab a new one just in case.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know my old NForce4-based mobo never really got all that hot, although it was strange that it had its own chipset fan.

You'll probably be fine without it. I'd say go and buy one just to be safe, like Raere said, but you indicated Asus was sending you a new one? I wouldn't waste my money if that was the case - as long as you're not running this for a month or so without it, I can't see any real damage occurring.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm not overclocking at all.
    Yeah, the new fan will go in as soon as it arrives, which will be 5-10 days. I'm figuring that should be fine. I just played the left 4 dead demo (freaking sweet!) for about a half hour with no apparent ill effects.
    Thanks for the input!

Dance Commander on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't personally, but you should probably be fine.

If it's the type of fan I'm thinking of, even if it's unplugged the fan structure acts as a quasi heatsink, so at least leave it attached while you wait for the replacement.

The southbridge fan on my asus board failed a while ago too. I skipped asus altogether since their chipset fans seem to be notoriously crappy and bought a $7 zalman heatsink. Hasn't been a problem since and my computer is that much quieter.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I thought about an aftermarket one, but there is literally about 2mm of clearance between this fan and my video card, so I kind of wanted to get the same thing back again. I'm likely to overhaul my computer in the next few months, so the fan doesn't need to last that long.
    And yeah, I'm leaving the whole HSF assembly in there.

Dance Commander on