Options

FIRE EMBLEM:Critical Hits Suck (NSF56K)

1101112131416»

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just skip the thing and talk to Fargus.

Totally not worth the beating you'll get facing down Silver weapons and Killer weapons at that stage of the game.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Advice. If you have the Mario Kart Bonus Disk, give Lyn the Wind sword and bring her down the middle path. Kill the Paladin with a Horseslayer equipped Oswin, backed up with Hector. Bring at least one healer with them.
    Or, if you're not in Hector and/or Hard mode, you can go the easy way.

The Pirates at the top road are a lot weaker than the ones blocking your direct path to Fargus. So, take the high road and make a half-circle towards Fargus. Use someone like Florina for actually reaching Fargus - she's got the range.

Of course, if you plan on clearing out the map you need to advance a lot more carefully. But I'd still advise taking the northern road first, then slowly make your way south.

That, my friend, is the coward's path. You kill them all and then make them take you to the Dread Isle. Also, farm the arena a bozillion times and then have Oswin die.

(The higher your defense, the better the weapons they give the opponents. You put Oswin in there, they use a Silver weapon and one crit later he's dead.)

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't recall the level being THAT difficult to clear without casualties. Like any difficult part of Fire Emblem, it just involves abusing the fuck out of choke points and your good units.

First you clear out the northern pass of all the pirates, which is not difficult at all, seeing as this is the game's prescribed "easy" route.

For the hard guys in the central Western part of the map, analyze how far they can all travel, and send your best tank JUST far enough away to be within attack range of the baddies' nearest dudes. When Fargus orders his dudes to attack and Damian's unit bumrushes your ass, you can do one of two things:

1) If your tank is powerful enough, you can sit back and laugh while he tears them to pieces.
    2) If your tank ISN'T powerful enough, or you are afraid he may kill a bunch of a people but get killed in enemy swarm tactics, you can unequip his weapons, allow him take the two or three hits, heal him with a potion/elixer/healer the next turn, and clean house with some magic/ranged units (or, use a powerful ground unit to OHKO, then rescue him with someone like Marcus). Rinse and repeat til everybody is dead.

Either way, the game has probably given you a magic damage reducing staff or item at this point, which can be very helpful against the one or two mages hanging around.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love that mission. It's the first challenge you really come across in the game (assuming you try to wipe out everyone, it's simple otherwise).

You may be on that mission for years if you plan to abuse the fuck out of the Arena. I usually don't, though, which makes that mission (and the rest of the game) much more enjoyable.

In one play-through, I abused the mine glitch on that mission. Drop a mine, have an enemy step on it, turn off the game while they are taking damage. When you turn the game back on and resume mission, you see them taking damage from the mine again, and then you get to control their team for the rest of that turn. This is of course best used to make them discard their weapons, though it's also possible to have them give their weapons to Merlinus. Fun times.

Of course, only in one game did I abuse that glitch.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I love that mission. It's the first challenge you really come across in the game (assuming you try to wipe out everyone, it's simple otherwise).

You may be on that mission for years if you plan to abuse the fuck out of the Arena. I usually don't, though, which makes that mission (and the rest of the game) much more enjoyable.

In one play-through, I abused the mine glitch on that mission. Drop a mine, have an enemy step on it, turn off the game while they are taking damage. When you turn the game back on and resume mission, you see them taking damage from the mine again, and then you get to control their team for the rest of that turn. This is of course best used to make them discard their weapons, though it's also possible to have them give their weapons to Merlinus. Fun times.

Of course, only in one game did I abuse that glitch.

Yeah, I've only done the mine glitch once to get the so-called UBAR-SPEER. Which is, in fact, quite broken.

There is one or two challenging parts before that. Recruiting Guy is difficult, and Eliwoods second mission can be tricky. Of course, ye olde unequipped Marcus can solve a lot of problems.

Arena abuse only becomes fun when you can use the Ninian dance trick to make your dudes unstoppable. I only do it some of the time, and usually only then to test out some of the games lesser characters. You know, the people who most people just plain never use.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Advice. If you have the Mario Kart Bonus Disk, give Lyn the Wind sword and bring her down the middle path. Kill the Paladin with a Horseslayer equipped Oswin, backed up with Hector. Bring at least one healer with them.

The Pirates at the top road are a lot weaker than the ones blocking your direct path to Fargus. So, take the high road and make a half-circle towards Fargus. Use someone like Florina for actually reaching Fargus - she's got the range.

Of course, if you plan on clearing out the map you need to advance a lot more carefully. But I'd still advise taking the northern road first, then slowly make your way south.

That, my friend, is the coward's path. You kill them all and then make them take you to the Dread Isle. Also, farm the arena a bozillion times and then have Oswin die.
    You may say it's the coward's path, but I prefer to call it the way to get my army to the Dread Isle without suffering unnecessary casualties in a pointless brawl with a band of bored pirates.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

You may say it's the coward's path, but I prefer to call it the way to get my army to the Dread Isle without suffering unnecessary casualties in a pointless brawl with a band of bored pirates.

No one dies, everybody fights. It's the code of Hector's Roughnecks!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never bothered to get the uber Spear. It seemed like too much effort to drag Vaida all the way down there. Also I wondered if it would be possible, because bosses often move first if there is an enemy in range, and I wouldn't be able to trade the spear if Vaida is the one who hits the mine.

I guess it's possible if she's just out of range of Merlinus and everyone, so that she can then move as close as possible and then another unit trades with her and then Merlinus.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think it's something along the lines of trading it with a nearby druid, then taking it from him.

Edit: Apparently, it actually involves the wyvern reinforcements.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I never bothered to get the uber Spear. It seemed like too much effort to drag Vaida all the way down there. Also I wondered if it would be possible, because bosses often move first if there is an enemy in range, and I wouldn't be able to trade the spear if Vaida is the one who hits the mine.

I guess it's possible if she's just out of range of Merlinus and everyone, so that she can then move as close as possible and then another unit trades with her and then Merlinus.

It takes a lot of work. Too much work. It is the best weapon in the game by far though. For those of you that don't know, it is the item that gives Vaida her "Almost impossible to beat" Boss stats. Your reward for killing her? Her not joining the party near the end of the game.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh fucking hell, I just spent like 30 minutes leveling Ninian/getting her A support with Eliwood only to have Lowen die to Lloyd or Linus or whoever the fuck the dick with the silver blade is. I can't remember how I'm supposed to kill this asshole.

Maybe I can wear him down with magic but rescue the mages before he can rape them with the hand axe.

Or maybe fuck Lowen.

Elendil on