Options

FIRE EMBLEM:Critical Hits Suck (NSF56K)

• Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Titania actually holds up really well, she's like a hot Seth.

I only started to like Heroes after I used the one from Sacred Stones. They are such a good unit that its not even funny.
    And Seth was incredibly decent to start with, too. I wonder if this trend keeps up in Goddess of Dawn.

As for Heroes, I never really used them. After all they start as sword-users, and I usually have plenty of sword-users lying around to need another one. Axe-users, on the other hand are a bit rarer, but I'm not always willing to level up a Mercenary to just get one (besides, in Blazing Sword, there's one guy who provides all the axe you could possibly need).

I looked at it the same way you did until I actually used one seriously. They are accurate and strong swordsman, designed for the blade style weapons, and fast enough for double hits most of the time. When they change they gain the ranged axe weapons, which with their accuracy and strength fit them to a T. I like axe users but I don't really like Warriors, so it is mainly berserkers and heroes for me.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    aeolistaeolist Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My Hero from Sacred Stones was the first character to max out his levels at 20/20. He just wouldn't stop killing everything.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    My Hero from Sacred Stones was the first character to max out his levels at 20/20. He just wouldn't stop killing everything.

Yet I can't remember his name to save the life of me! I know he was followed by that smoking hot dancer Tethys, but I can't remember his name!

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I looked at it the same way you did until I actually used one seriously. They are accurate and strong swordsman, designed for the blade style weapons, and fast enough for double hits most of the time.
    Yeah, but the problem is: so are the Lords. And, on the GBA, the Cavaliers have way more range.

But when it comes to, say, spears the only thing you got are Knights (who can be incredibly useful, I know, but very slow) and, again, Cavaliers (and a Lord too, in Sacred Stones).

So... I'm not saying that Heroes suck. They don't. They're very good at what they do. But in terms of the weapons triangle and all there simply are other units out there who do it almost or just as well and may have some extra perks into the bargain. So you can easily afford to swap out the Mercenary in favour of someone else.

When they change they gain the ranged axe weapons, which with their accuracy and strength fit them to a T. I like axe users but I don't really like Warriors, so it is mainly berserkers and heroes for me.
    When it comes to axes, I prefer to use Paladins, Generals, Wyvern Lords or Hector. They either have mobility or massive defence and I value that quite highly.

EDIT: And the Sacred Stones mercenary was called Gerik.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I've played all three American FE games, and I've never had a Paladin-type character end up anywhere near as strong as my Hero/Berserker/foot lancer types. They always have better range and HP but much shittier stats otherwise.

I usually only end up using one per game.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I looked at it the same way you did until I actually used one seriously. They are accurate and strong swordsman, designed for the blade style weapons, and fast enough for double hits most of the time.
    Yeah, but the problem is: so are the Lords. And, on the GBA, the Cavaliers have way more range.

But when it comes to, say, spears the only thing you got are Knights (who can be incredibly useful, I know, but very slow) and, again, Cavaliers (and a Lord too, in Sacred Stones).

So... I'm not saying that Heroes suck. They don't. They're very good at what they do. But in terms of the weapons triangle and all there simply are other units out there who do it almost or just as well and may have some extra perks into the bargain. So you can easily afford to swap out the Mercenary in favour of someone else.

When they change they gain the ranged axe weapons, which with their accuracy and strength fit them to a T. I like axe users but I don't really like Warriors, so it is mainly berserkers and heroes for me.
    When it comes to axes, I prefer to use Paladins, Generals, Wyvern Lords or Hector. They either have mobility or massive defence and I value that quite highly.

EDIT: And the Sacred Stones mercenary was called Gerik.

Yep that's him. I usually have paladins that focus on swords and spears. Spears are generally more useful as the enemy loads up the end game with sword users. I almost never use a general, and when I do I usually only give him a steel axe to go along with his spears.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I almost never use a general, and when I do I usually only give him a steel axe to go along with his spears.
    I enjoy using Generals. If there's a bottleneck that needs plugging you can't beat a General. Certain Blazing Sword maps became a lot easier just by putting a General on the right bridge.

Too bad Path of Radiance doesn't have nearly as much maps where sitting still in one place and let the enemy hordes come to you is a smart thing to do.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I almost never use a general, and when I do I usually only give him a steel axe to go along with his spears.
    I enjoy using Generals. If there's a bottleneck that needs plugging you can't beat a General. Certain Blazing Sword maps became a lot easier just by putting a General on the right bridge.

Too bad Path of Radiance doesn't have nearly as much maps where sitting still in one place and let the enemy hordes come to you is a smart thing to do.

Depends. The real difference between PoR and the other two Domestic releases is that in PoR the enemies have much higher stats. No longer can your swordmaster two hit any non boss general, or mage one hit the enemies best cleric. They have stats near you, and sometimes in hard mode, better than you. Ike is pretty much an evasion tank, and you need his levels absurdly high to make certain hard mode missions bearable. There is also no possible way to beat mission 8 on hard mode without using Titania and Boyd to Tank block.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There is also no possible way to beat mission 8 on hard mode without using Titania and Boyd to Tank block.
    Did you just use the words "Boyd" and "Tank" in the same sentence? I always assumed Oscar was much better at being a tank.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    There is also no possible way to beat mission 8 on hard mode without using Titania and Boyd to Tank block.
    Did you just use the words "Boyd" and "Tank" in the same sentence? I always assumed Oscar was much better at being a tank.

Bottom path has nothing but mounted units.

You have a poleax from a previous mission.

Do the Math.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Do the Math.
    Yeah, I know. But even on Easy that poleax is heavy an inaccurate, Boyd's speed probably isn't up to scratch just yet unless you've really been training him, his defence remains low and those mounted units can move away after attacking Boyd, thus letting their pals have a swing at him.

I do not really see this as a winning scenario.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Do the Math.
    Yeah, I know. But even on Easy that poleax is heavy an inaccurate, Boyd's speed probably isn't up to scratch just yet unless you've really been training him, his defence remains low and those mounted units can move away after attacking Boyd, thus letting their pals have a swing at him.

I do not really see this as a winning scenario.

Mission Eight in Hard mode is by far and away the hardest Mission in that game. Boyd can and will do it. Poleaxe is heavy, but boyd is strong. Those cavailers are surprisingly weak, and most of them are so slow that they get one shot. I've killed every unit on the bottom of the map in two turns, and the boss in three. All with Boyd. I've completed this hard mission twice now, and once I went through the pain of not using Titania at all. She is much better blocking off the section with the mages. Send Ike up the side with Ilyana, and have Oscar back him up. leave rhys in as a patch healer. don't be afraid to use your turn using a healing item, let the enemies attack you.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oscar is god, he actually managed to beat Ike for most kills in my PoR playthrough. That is all

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Boyd can and will do it. Poleaxe is heavy, but boyd is strong. Those cavailers are surprisingly weak, and most of them are so slow that they get one shot. I've killed every unit on the bottom of the map in two turns, and the boss in three. All with Boyd.
    Wow. Either the RNG really hates my Boyd or he really loves yours.

I'm gonna go guess he really hates mine, though.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    My Boyd was tanking the hell out of the right side of Mission 8 in Normal. He leveled faster in my game than Ike did.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    My Boyd was tanking the hell out of the right side of Mission 8 in Normal. He leveled faster in my game than Ike did.

I don't like right for him..too many bows and magic. Bottom though, mainly javlins and a few crappy sword users. The biggest problem with mission eight is that soren still sucks too much to be really helpful at killing stuff from afar, as any random ass bow/javlin user will ruin his shit at that point, especially on hard mode.

Put it to you this way; anyone who can beat Mission 8 on hard mode can easily (with some time and careful thought of course) beat the rest of the game on Hard.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

I don't like right for him..too many bows and magic. Bottom though, mainly javlins and a few crappy sword users. The biggest problem with mission eight is that soren still sucks too much to be really helpful at killing stuff from afar, as any random ass bow/javlin user will ruin his shit at that point, especially on hard mode.

Put it to you this way; anyone who can beat Mission 8 on hard mode can easily (with some time and careful thought of course) beat the rest of the game on Hard.
    I had him on the right because there were so many knights there and the only other character who could kill that many was Titania, who was needed on the left side. Ike handled the chevaliers just fine.

In fact there were so many knights crowding around and trying to get at Boyd that if I just left him in place and didn't try to move forward the ranged attackers wouldn't even be able to attack him for the first 4 or 5 turns.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:
    aeolist wrote:

I had him on the right because there were so many knights there and the only other character who could kill that many was Titania, who was needed on the left side. Ike handled the chevaliers just fine.

In fact there were so many knights crowding around and trying to get at Boyd that if I just left him in place and didn't try to move forward the ranged attackers wouldn't even be able to attack him for the first 4 or 5 turns.

Hmm, interesting, this makes sense. It always seemed to me that the ranged units would always get in the right place or boyd would kill the knights too fast and die. But that would work, considering by that time the map is almost over.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ideal 12-person FE Army...based on NA releases...just for fun

Ephraim (Reginleif, Siegmund, Spear, Axereaver, Elixir)
    Lyn (Mani Katti, Sol Katti, Silver Bow, Longbow, Elixir)
    Nephenee (Silver Lance, Killer Lance, Spear, Brave Lance, Elixir)
    Astrid (Silver Axe, Tomahawk, Silver Bow, Longbow, Elixir)
    Farina (Silver Lance, Silver Sword, Spear, Lancereaver, Delphi Shield)
    Ross *Berserker* (Silver Axe, Killer Axe, Tomahawk, Swordreaver, Elixir)
    Canas (Luna, Gespenst, Eclipse, Physic Staff, Restore Staff)
    Innes (Nidhogg, Brave Bow, Longbow, Killer Bow, Elixir)
    Volke (Stilleto, Dagger, Stilleto, Torch, Elixir)
    Serra (Luce, Purge, Divine, Physic Staff, Fortify Staff)
    Illyana (Rexbolt, Bolganone, Tornado, Physic Staff, Restore Staff)
    Jill (Silver Lance, Silver Axe, Spear, Tomahawk, Full Guard)

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Alright: my ideal army. Based solely on personality and not on any actual game performance at all. Now with extra useless titles! :P

Vaida, the Spitting Cobra

Fiora, the Noble Knight

Kent, the Loyal Cavalier

Jill, the Kind Racist

Lethe, the Human Hater

Tanith, the Great Demon

Zihark, the Silent Romeo

Marisa, the Quiet Blade

Lyn, the Savage Aristocrat

Hector, the Immovable Object

Serra, the Unstoppable Force

and

L'Arachel, the Comic Relief

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Haha, you managed to forget Hector.

I know they're Japan only, but a team consisting of Navvare, Ayra, Lakche, Shanan, Shiva, Mareeta, Rutger, Fir, Karel, Guy, Joshua, Mia and Zihark would rule the world. <3 Swordmasters

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Oh well, personality-wise...

Illyana - Totally starving, all the damn time
    Lucius - Everyone is GAY for Lucius
    Kieran - Don't you think you should get that axe wound in your HEAD looked at?
    L'Arachel - Gambling is OK, sometimes...
    Florina - OMG MEN *hides*
    Geitz - I...I...I just have to kill something! SO BORED
    Dozla - I healed you with that staff! Actually you lit my beard on fire
    Lute - PRODIGY PRODIGY I'M BETTER THAN YOU BLAH BLAH
    Shinon - So full of piping-hot crap, the very mention of his name draws flies
    Makalov - Poster-child for government welfare abuse
    Bastian - Speaks several centuries removed, even for his time
    Haar - ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZZ...

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    12 Man Child Molester Army

General Devdan (I know he's a Halberdier but he leads any group of child molesters!)
    Dozla
    Gatrie
    Ephraim
    Mordecai
    Muarim
    Zihark (probably)
    Moulder
    Geitz
    Eliwood
    Tauroneo
    Merlinus

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Any list without Hector fails.

I don't care what criteria you're using.

aeolist on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

Hector is too concerned with killing people and being rude (except to the ladies) to be a child molester. But if you must, replace Zihark with Hector in my list, but only the bearded Hector.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

What? Even if you're going with a female-only army?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

Especially then.

I just beat PoR on Hard mode with an Ike+Female army. It was pretty easy actually.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

Especially then.
    Why? If you're using the reasoning I suspect you may be using, Roy would be the more logical choice as the single man in such a woman's army.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    aeolist wrote:

Especially then.
    Why? If you're using the reasoning I suspect you may be using, Roy would be the more logical choice as the single man in such a woman's army.
    Hahaha, six female pairings ftw. :D

[spoiler:9ec1dac96f]:cry:[/spoiler:9ec1dac96f]

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I need to play through Path of Radiance on hard sometime.

Normal was challenging enough until Ike was promoted. With a couple of exceptions (like the last mission), he could basically defeat the entire enemy army on his own after that. I didn't know what I was doing when I gave him Aether...

Kaputa on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kaputa wrote:

Normal was challenging enough until Ike was promoted. With a couple of exceptions (like the last mission), he could basically defeat the entire enemy army on his own after that. I didn't know what I was doing when I gave him Aether...

I'm playing through it right now, it stops being hard at Chapter 13, and then just becomes something of an annoyance, not actually difficult. I'm at stage 3 in the Ch 17 4-parter right now, and as long as I don't make any dumb mistakes, it'll be a waiting game.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Kaputa wrote:

I'm playing through it right now, it stops being hard at Chapter 13, and then just becomes something of an annoyance, not actually difficult. I'm at stage 3 in the Ch 17 4-parter right now, and as long as I don't make any dumb mistakes, it'll be a waiting game.

Two things. Thing the first, Ike can roll through hard mode just as easily as normal or easy, his master ability sees to that. Use money to forge him a high critical, high attack, higher weight silver sword (it costs a lot, but it is worth it) that will last until Ragnell. Thing the second, there are some hard missions on hard, and there are some that are actually easier. There are a ton more priests on the two Daein castley missions, which is a pain, but the timed missions give you more turns. There are about ten less units on the final map as well, but they are of higher quality.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    01pj7.JPG

Moon speaking is back. Awesome.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Silver-haired girl moonspeaks. Okay, so Sothe finds Silver Girl...

[spoiler:b50ab21137]who may be a heron laguz and.... takes her to Ike? Cue difficult travels ahead. So what was the story with the herons and the sister, again? Could this girl play into that?[/spoiler:b50ab21137]

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Freezie KO wrote:

[spoiler:a5dd19923b]who may be a heron laguz and.... takes her to Ike? Cue difficult travels ahead. So what was the story with the herons and the sister, again? Could this girl play into that?[/spoiler:a5dd19923b]

[spoiler:a5dd19923b]Hmmm. The jist of it is that the Heron's were the guardians of the fire emblem, which housed the dark god. They also are the one's who know the song to seal/release him, but they are not the ones who are able to use it. Ashnard knew about the fire emblem, but not the part about the person who could use it, so he just assumed it was the Heron nobility, which leads directly to the events in PoR. I'm guessing she is a half breed who is able to use the Fire Emblem. I'm also guessing from my knowledge of FE6 that a lot of your friends from PoR wiil die horribly. [/spoiler:a5dd19923b]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Freezie KO wrote:

[spoiler:03d7c373ad]who may be a heron laguz and.... [/spoiler:03d7c373ad]
    Can't be...

[spoiler:03d7c373ad]Mikaya uses offensive magic, which laguz don't do (or perhaps can't). This means she's either a Branded or simply a human who knows laguz language. If she's Branded, I think the designers would've made her mark more obvious like they did with Soren. But that's just what I think.

Here's a wild theory: Maybe Mikaya is the younger/twin sister of Begnion's Apostle Sanaki and she had to leave or was hidden for some reason. This would make her a descendant of Altina and would make her able to unleash/seal the dark god. It may also explain why Begnion troops seem to come after her: the Senate isn't exactly nice and perhaps they're trying to stage some sort of coup or something.[/spoiler:03d7c373ad]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SmirkySmirky Registered User new member
    edited November 2006
    I'm play Sacred Stones at the moment, and it's my intro to the series. Very good game indeed, I have to say.

However, I've got a second hand copy with no manual, and I can't work out the 'Support' feature. The only two characters who I've managed to do the support thing with have been Neimi and Colm, and on the Support screen it says I've done 4% overall. I wiped all the save games, but if the previous owner did all the support conversations, has this mucked it up for me?

I'm fairly far into the game (just crossing the sea into Grado), and none of my characters, none of them, have Talk as an option when they stand next to each other.

Would someone mind explaining what Support does, and why none of my guys are being particularly...supportive?

Also, I'm not going to find enough Knight's Crests etc, to upgrade all my characters, am I? I know this....and it saddens me.

So, after this, I'll go backwards and get the one that was just called Fire Emblem over here, and that's it for me unless I buy a Gamecube or Wii, isn't it?

Good stuff though!

Smirky on
  • Options
    ImranImran Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:27244286a3]If she's Branded, I think the designers would've made her mark more obvious like they did with Soren.[/spoiler:27244286a3]
    [spoiler:27244286a3]Not necessarily. Petrine's was not obvious at all and you wouldn't know unless someone pointed it out to you or you placed Soren against her. It's possible she knows she's a branded, but is hiding it from Sothe. Remember, he grew up in Daein, they're not kind to Laguz.[/spoiler:27244286a3]

Imran on
    nanasigsmallerrj4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Smirky wrote:
    However, I've got a second hand copy with no manual, and I can't work out the 'Support' feature. The only two characters who I've managed to do the support thing with have been Neimi and Colm, and on the Support screen it says I've done 4% overall. I wiped all the save games, but if the previous owner did all the support conversations, has this mucked it up for me?
    Not really. It just means that you can read a few support convo's you yourself haven't actually 'unlocked' yet.

The Support System, quite frankly, is a bit retarded. In short, certain characters need to stand next to each other for a lot of turns until the Support option comes up.

Some characters support quicker than other. Some just need to spend, say, 20 turns standing right next to each other instead of 80. Not everyone can support with everyone else.

Each character can only support 5 times totals (so, say, 1 A-level + 1 B-Level or 2 B-levels and 1 C-level or 5 C-levels or...).

The advantages of Support is that, whenever two supporting units are within range of each (three squares apart at most) some of their stats will increase. Which stats increase depends on the characters involved and can vary from extra critical hit chance to extra strength to extra evade and much more.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Imran wrote:
    [spoiler:f4a658314e]If she's Branded, I think the designers would've made her mark more obvious like they did with Soren.[/spoiler:f4a658314e]
    [spoiler:f4a658314e]Not necessarily. Petrine's was not obvious at all and you wouldn't know unless someone pointed it out to you or you placed Soren against her. It's possible she knows she's a branded, but is hiding it from Sothe. Remember, he grew up in Daein, they're not kind to Laguz.[/spoiler:f4a658314e]
    [spoiler:f4a658314e]Stefan's wasn't exactly out there either. But... I dunno... I just got a feeling that if she was Branded the creators would've made it more in-your-face and less... sneaky.

Anyways, I'm not so sure about Sothe's laguz prejudices either. From what I gathered he was just a street urchin, a sub-citizen. I'm not sure he would've cared either way.[/spoiler:f4a658314e]

WotanAnubis on