Options

FIRE EMBLEM:Critical Hits Suck (NSF56K)

• Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Imran wrote:
    [spoiler:94dc1a461d]If she's Branded, I think the designers would've made her mark more obvious like they did with Soren.[/spoiler:94dc1a461d]
    [spoiler:94dc1a461d]Not necessarily. Petrine's was not obvious at all and you wouldn't know unless someone pointed it out to you or you placed Soren against her. It's possible she knows she's a branded, but is hiding it from Sothe. Remember, he grew up in Daein, they're not kind to Laguz.[/spoiler:94dc1a461d]
    [spoiler:94dc1a461d]Stefan's wasn't exactly out there either. But... I dunno... I just got a feeling that if she was Branded the creators would've made it more in-your-face and less... sneaky.

Anyways, I'm not so sure about Sothe's laguz prejudices either. From what I gathered he was just a street urchin, a sub-citizen. I'm not sure he would've cared either way.[/spoiler:94dc1a461d]

[spoiler:94dc1a461d] I think the moon speak and the silvery hair give away the fact that she is at least a half breed, even if she was raised a human. Some one could have decided just to not tell her about her heritage, which is a fantasy staple.[/spoiler:94dc1a461d]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:0d0885af50] I think the moon speak and the silvery hair give away the fact that she is at least a half breed, even if she was raised a human. Some one could have decided just to not tell her about her heritage, which is a fantasy staple.[/spoiler:0d0885af50]
    [spoiler:0d0885af50]The moonspeak, maybe. The silvery hair, however, is no proof at all. Granted, Soren, Stefan and Petrine had rather unique haircolours, but they didn't have silver hair. Then again, many of the full-blooded humans had weird haircolours too (like Ike). And the beast laguz and Naesala had weird haircolours as well, come to think of it. In fact, the moonspeaking herons both had totally ordinary blonde haircolours.

So I don't think I'm gonna count strange haircolour as potential proof of a mixed heritage.[/spoiler:0d0885af50]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:23e88c2fd4] I think the moon speak and the silvery hair give away the fact that she is at least a half breed, even if she was raised a human. Some one could have decided just to not tell her about her heritage, which is a fantasy staple.[/spoiler:23e88c2fd4]
    [spoiler:23e88c2fd4]The moonspeak, maybe. The silvery hair, however, is no proof at all. Granted, Soren, Stefan and Petrine had rather unique haircolours, but they didn't have silver hair. Then again, many of the full-blooded humans had weird haircolours too (like Ike). And the beast laguz and Naesala had weird haircolours as well, come to think of it. In fact, the moonspeaking herons both had totally ordinary blonde haircolours.

So I don't think I'm gonna count strange haircolour as potential proof of a mixed heritage.[/spoiler:23e88c2fd4]

[spoiler:23e88c2fd4]Well yes, FE characters tend to have every color hair in the rainbow. But Silver and other light colors tend to be reserved for characters like Ninian/Nils, whose hair was certainly conspicuous (in FE7), Myrrh had wings, but her hair was a fair indication when compared to other ingame characters (in FE8), Reyson and Leanne's hair also clearly had a different texture than everyone else's hair, even if the color was no indication.

I think it's a safe reason to believe she's a half-breed. Perhaps the moonspeak being the more obvious of the two reasons, but the hair could result from a heron-beorc union (golden to silvery) as evidence, since the herons don't have visible birthmarks/scars such as the half-Dragons. Basically what I'm trying to say is, the hair color is the weaker of the two reasons for the heron-laguz parentage, but it still a legitimate reason to believe so.[/spoiler:23e88c2fd4]

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:06853fd9b1]Basically what I'm trying to say is, the hair color is the weaker of the two reasons for the heron-laguz parentage, but it still a legitimate reason to believe so.[/spoiler:06853fd9b1]
    [spoiler:06853fd9b1]And I think that judging a person's role in the story or what species their parents are based on the colour of their hair is the silliest reason possible. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Also, the haircolour of Ninian and Nils is a slightly lighter shade of Fiora's haircolour and Myrrh's haircolour is a somewhat darker shade of Lute's haircolour. Only the heron siblings have a truely unique haircolour, as far as I can tell, and it ain't silver. Also, the heron's eyes are green, not yellow. It's Sothe who has (dark) yellow eyes.[/spoiler:06853fd9b1]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, am I the only one who went :winky: at the first sight of Leanne?

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Chen wrote:

Nope. :winky:

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Chen wrote:
    Well, she's kind of beautiful in the conventional sense, but then again, so was, say, Louise.

Of course, my opinion may not really matter since I'm all about Vaida.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hey kids, gather 'round! Pull up a chair! It's story time!

My Path of Radiance save got annihilated four days ago due to a memory card fuckup. Thankfully, the only saves that were on the card were Path of Radiance and a few shit import titles that I no longer cared for (Viewtiful Joe 2 and Radirgy, among others). Unfortunately, this meant that in order to get my precious Fixed Mode back, I had to play through the game again... with random levelling. Oh, dear.

You see, I loathe random levelling. Much as I adore Fire Emblem, this is a staple of the series I would very much like to see die. One of my favourite aspects of any Fire Emblem game is the difficulty, and if one gets particularly unlucky the random levels can hurl the typically finely-tuned difficulty onto the shitpile. Random number generator blessed a few of your characters? Congratulations! Now you have a handful of unstoppable demi-gods that render the remainder of your adventure a pointless exercise in "No Damage" markers and one-hit kills. Random number generator fucked your Lord(s) over? Huzzah! Now you're forced to field a character that can get ganked by a lowly mercenary. If you're particularly unlucky, enemy reinforcements will arrive where you're hiding your Lord, resulting in a hasty return to the start of the chapter.

These things happen more often than I'd like. My introduction to the series, Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, was fantastic because I was lucky enough to end up with well-balanced characters. Not one character was an unstoppable War Bastard. Even Hector and Oswin had to retreat quite often, and I had to make use every party slot available. I had to field Paladins for (very frequent) rescues, I had to have a couple of archers (as my melee units were never powerful enough to take on hordes of fliers unscathed) and I had to use magic. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, my most recent run of Blazing Sword was rendered impossible to complete due to all my Lords being killed in one hit by average opponents. Hector and Eliwood always got double attacked, to boot. Hector reached lv15 without getting a single Defense or Speed boon. This made the chapter where you recieve your first Heaven Seal quite literally impossible to complete, as the Lords start seperated from your army and the only units I had that could reach them (fliers) were similarly (read: hilariously) gimped, despite being promoted. Not fun.

I had to play through Path of Radiance again, and this time had the game ruined by the random levels. I chose the highest difficulty level, as Path of Radiance is a cakewalk even compared to The Sacred Stones.

I've never been so bored with a Fire Emblem playthrough to date. The random levels made every single character I used completely invulnerable within a few levels, with the exception of magic users whom I never use anyway. I tried to refrain from using Ike (who couldn't be harmed from around level 10 Ranger onwards) and tried to shelve the "blessed" characters to even things out, but their replacements were all equally powerful. In the end, I only suffered a few deaths throughout the entire game (and all of these were due to critical hits on newly-joined characters). In the final third of the game (Daein onwards), I simply completed every map (bar the final one, which is only difficult because nobody but Ike can hurt the boss) by letting the AI command my army (using Orders > Roam).

The only thing of interest from that playthrough was the final "Top 5", which for the most part was normal, but it did have one rather fancy surprise. One that proves how utterly retarded random levels can be.

Fifth
    Lethe. 100 kills exactly.

Fourth
    Astrid. 114 kills.

Third
    Sothe. 184 kills.

Second
    Ike. 200 kills exactly.

First
    Oscar. 220 kills.

Yup, Sothe ended up in my Top 5. Even when I let the AI control my party. I'll be keeping this save file on the offchance that Goddess of Dawn accesses Path of Radiance saves to determine bits and bobs, such as how powerful Sothe is. Unlikely, but what the hey. For those curious, this is just how retarded the RNG made Sothe.

40 Hitpoints, 20 Strength, 15 Magic, 20 Skill, 20 Speed, 20 Defense, 20, Resistance, 25 Luck. Yes, every attribute is at the highest allowed by his Thief caps, apart from his Luck which is still as high as it can go considering he only has twenty levels to grow (he starts with 5 Luck).

His Speed cap of 20 rendered him shit by the final maps, but he still managed to finish just below Ike on the kills table. How? I haven't the slightest fucking clue. Like I said, I let the AI control him. Maybe he got lucky with his critical hits, or maybe he's a killstealing little bitch. Either way, that little abberation was the only fun part of the entire RNG-fucked game.

Well, at least now I have Fixed Mode. In it, every character ends up nicely balanced. Sure, with certain skills some units are ridiculously overpowered by the endgame, but most units spend the majority of the game being only somewhat stronger than opponents of a similar level. And that's the way I like it. Nobody is gimped, nobody is unstoppable. You, the player, actually have to play the game. Why this had to be an unlockable is beyond me. While I won't argue that "It's the way it was meant to be played," I will argue that it's the most fun way to play the game, as it retains some sense of difficulty when none of your characters can solo entire battlefields unaided.

I sincerely hope that this is a standard feature of future Fire Emblem games. And while I would be happy with phasing out random levelling altogether, I have the feeling that purists wouldn't. I just want it to be in there and selectable from the get-go.

Oh, and I want terrain effects back. Path of Radiance really needed terrain effects (all the game has as regards terrain is bushes that offer 1 Defense and 10 Avoid). The perspective change makes introducing mountains, woods and the like impossible, but surely there can be more terrain than "Plains variant" and "Bush". The game really loses some of its sparkle when terrain bonuses are no longer cause for consideration.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    40 Hitpoints, 20 Strength, 15 Magic, 20 Skill, 20 Speed, 20 Defense, 20, Resistance, 25 Luck. Yes, every attribute is at the highest allowed by his Thief caps, apart from his Luck which is still as high as it can go considering he only has twenty levels to grow (he starts with 5 Luck).
    Actually, thanks to Blossom, Sothe is very likely to cap quite a few of his stats, so this is a lot less extraordinary than any other character capping a lot of stats. I suppose it was given to him to make up for the fact that he can't promote or something.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sothe's ability trades exp for the power to gimp the RNG. It's literally the only thing that keeps him alive. PoR does not have a single bad character, but its still harder than Sacred Stones.

I can't stand fixed stats, its random or nothing. I've had terrible Lords in Hector's hard mode and still did it with maybe 5 deaths. Maybe you need to adjust your playstyle.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ah, Mumbly's weekly jibberish. While you have many fine points, I feel like saying something, I have no idea why. Is it my hair?

The option to solo with one character only really began with FE7. The characters from the game have insanely high growths compared to older FEs. It might be because, before development began, Intelligent Systems wanted this installment of the series to be the first to reach the Western market and succeed. You know how it is, the age-old demographic cliché. The Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance were even more ridiculous in this aspect, as some elements were changed from the Japanese version. It's even so badly that they just offed Maniac Mode because, I have no actual clue as to why, they think no one will bother with it. Anyway, the point is, I dare you to try soloing with the older FEs. And don't start with but then I'd need a Japanese console because FE6 was released for the GBA.

Your other point, the random leveling, is purely subjective. Of course, the thing you despise would still be in any other FE. I do want to say, as an opinion, that it is one of the main attractions of the series. Without it, there would be no real point in getting experience other than Woo! my stats improve on a lineair basis, but after each level-up I need relativily more exp. to fuel my killing efficiency. Hm, it sounds vaguely familiar, must be my imagination.

As to explain why it's one of the main attractions... Firstly, there is the excitement. Nowadays it means shit though, since everyone has crazy high growths. Secondly, it involves luck, and baby, who doesn't enjoy getting a flush on the river? Thirdly, on a more serious manner, it has an impact, good or bad, on the battlefield and you have to take it into consideration. A raise in one stat could mean a lot, and it's totally random how rad is that! In other words, it makes battlefields more fun and interesting. Sure, getting criticalled by some grunt with a Killing weapon is hot too, but there is no equal in getting 1 HP for your effort of picking up 100 experience points. Yeah, fuck you too!

tl;dr: Intelligent Systems hates me, you and puppies.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:237000dde8]Basically what I'm trying to say is, the hair color is the weaker of the two reasons for the heron-laguz parentage, but it still a legitimate reason to believe so.[/spoiler:237000dde8]
    [spoiler:237000dde8]And I think that judging a person's role in the story or what species their parents are based on the colour of their hair is the silliest reason possible. I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Also, the haircolour of Ninian and Nils is a slightly lighter shade of Fiora's haircolour and Myrrh's haircolour is a somewhat darker shade of Lute's haircolour. Only the heron siblings have a truely unique haircolour, as far as I can tell, and it ain't silver. Also, the heron's eyes are green, not yellow. It's Sothe who has (dark) yellow eyes.[/spoiler:237000dde8]

[spoiler:237000dde8]Nils and Ninian also had red eyes. Further distinguishing them as non-relations to Fiora. You bring up an important point with eye-color as well as a distinguishing feature between members of the army and 'special' characters.

No one's saying anything is definite at this point. Everything is purely speculative. Making a roughly educated guess about a person's relationship to the story, based on what we know to be true of past games, in the hypothetical, doesn't seem very silly to me. Do you really think there's the slightest chance she won't be important talking that moon language? Unless the entire game has everyone speaking like that, in which case the story isn't likely going to be very good, as none of us can translate moon language, at least I do not.

Besides, FE9 taught us it was the Heron royalty that have golden hair, doesn't mean that other herons don't have silver/seafoam/etc...or any number of pastel variations. It just means that she probably isn't royalty.

If I'm proven wrong about her, I'll eat my words. But until then, I've not seen anything to the contrary of this belief that those who speak moonspeak and/or either have very deep or very pastel-colored hair tend to be important to the story more often than not, with the exception of those whose Class is obvious (Florina for example, was obviously a Pegasus Knight, if she stood by herself you might think otherwise. Also if they're holding weapons/they aren't on the main box, they tend to be basic usable characters, not special story-related ones).[/spoiler:237000dde8]

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Fire Emblem GoD. What a great acronym.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Fire Emblem GoD. What a great acronym.
    Accurate too.

Well, I know it owns my soul, at least.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Resurrection, go!

So gentlemen. I was doing a bit of surfing at www.vgcharts.org and I noticed something kind of interesting.

Japanese FE: Sacred Stones sales figures

United States SS figures

Japan Path of Radiance figures

US PoR figures

So the past two FE games have sold better in the States than they have in their country of origin.

Intriguing. If only vgcharts had info for the US release of Blazing Sword... they lack it for some reason.

This makes me wonder if they'll start directing the FE series at the States a bit more...

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Resurrection, go!

So gentlemen. I was doing a bit of surfing at www.vgcharts.org and I noticed something kind of interesting.

Japanese FE: Sacred Stones sales figures

United States SS figures

Japan Path of Radiance figures

US PoR figures

So the past two FE games have sold better in the States than they have in their country of origin.

Intriguing. If only vgcharts had info for the US release of Blazing Sword... they lack it for some reason.

This makes me wonder if they'll start directing the FE series at the States a bit more...

I hope this means they read those figures and start coughing up Fire Emblem games for system launches. Shit, if Goddess of Destiny was available for Wii launch I'd finish that before I played Zelda.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Actually, purists are already complaining that every Fire Emblem after Thracia 776 was much too aimed at a Western audience.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Actually, purists are already complaining that every Fire Emblem after Thracia 776 was much too aimed at a Western audience.

But we didn't even get FE6. :? What's so Western about 7-9?

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    SpaceDrake wrote:

They are really easy? I haven't played I-V, but people who've had all seem to say that 7, 8 and 9 are all a lot easier than before. Thats one thing thats always bugged me about FE. Its supposedly really hard, but its really not. The only hard thing is the random criticals that make you restart. I really wish they were harder in a way where you needed to think out strategies instead of random luck. Anyway if they really want to make hits they should go back to whatever they did in III and IV, both those games were huge hits and their sales have dropped since then in Japan.

khain on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    SpaceDrake wrote:

Apparently, 7-9 were really easy. And then 9 was made easier still by taking out Maniac Mode.

Personally, I don't really care, but hey. Besides I've heard that 4 (apparently the Greatest Fire Emblem Of All Time) wasn't *that* difficult either.

So I'm not paying much attention to the purists.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't think they were really made easier just for us, but you're right. Maniac mode however, is apparently the Devil's work anyways, so I am glad we missed it.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Jesus fuck, Path of Radiance likes to load you up with fragile characters early on.

I've gotten Mia, Marcia, Rolf, and Mist and not a goddamn one of them can take a hit. GIVE ME MORE FIGHTERS.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:
    Jesus fuck, Path of Radiance likes to load you up with fragile characters early on.

I've gotten Mia, Marcia, Rolf, and Mist and not a goddamn one of them can take a hit. GIVE ME MORE FIGHTERS.

You get one, and only one warrior. 8 hojillion paladins though, and this game is not so tough.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    this game is not so tough.
    This is me we're talking about here.

It is rather frustrating that a good half of the characters I have pretty much need to be shepherded for a while. Ilyana blows (her last level up got her zero stat gain), Soren's decent, but not capable of much killing, and Mia is godawful at this point.

But yeah, I do suck.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:

It is rather frustrating that a good half of the characters I have pretty much need to be shepherded for a while. Ilyana blows (her last level up got her zero stat gain), Soren's decent, but not capable of much killing, and Mia is godawful at this point.

But yeah, I do suck.

Ilyana is great. What you need to do with the casters is set them against the casters at the end of the beach level with the weakest book you have to level them and Mist up. Just keep plinking the enemy mages until you gain a few levels.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:

But yeah, I do suck.

Ilyana is great. What you need to do with the casters is set them against the casters at the end of the beach level with the weakest book you have to level them and Mist up. Just keep plinking the enemy mages until you gain a few levels.
    Or use some Bonus Experience. If you're playing Easy you really shouldn't have a shortage of that.

Also, Ilyana is a bit... I dunno. For a mage she has mediocre Magic growth, but pretty awesome Strength growth (for a mage), so she's designed for the heavier, more powerful tomes, whereas Soren has great Magic growth, but barely any Strength growth, making him well suited for the basic Wind tomes. I say, pick one and go with him/her. Unless you really like mages, of course.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:

But yeah, I do suck.

She has the better support conversations, character art, and ability (early on when leveling a fragile unit), but far from superior to Soren. Soren can hit harder with Wind Magic (possibly 3 times in a row as his stats go up) than Illyana can with Thunder. She's OK, but she def. needs that bonus exp in the beginning to get her going.

My Mage preference basically goes:

-Soren
    -Illyana
    -Tormod
    -Calil
    -Bastian

Anyone who gives a Sage the ability to equip knives is against freedom.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:

But yeah, I do suck.

She has the better support conversations, character art, and ability (early on when leveling a fragile unit), but far from superior to Soren. Soren can hit harder with Wind Magic (possibly 3 times in a row as his stats go up) than Illyana can with Thunder. She's OK, but she def. needs that bonus exp in the beginning to get her going.

-Soren
    -Illyana
    -Tormod
    -Calil
    -Bastian

Thunder magic is more useful endgame than wind magic, plus Ilyana's good STR growth allows you to make her a training book far earlier, I had her at S rank as a level 4 sage. Plus you get waay more chances at getting bolting books than you do blizzard, making it very helpful in the last few maps. I pretty much agree with your order though, only flipping Ilyana with Soren due to personal preference.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Path of Radiance players use characters other than Ike and Paladins?

Who'dathunk?

I kid. Nephenee's good too, if you can get past her godawful Move attribute and slap the Vantage skill on her. And it's nice to have a flier (Jill or Haar) with a Full Shield. Paladins are all you need to stomp the shit out of the game, though. With so many somewhat-accurate physical-based opponents and large maps, high-defense, high-movement characters reign supreme. Good thing you get seven characters that fit said archetype through the game, most of them rather early on.

I've never tried playing the game with fleshy characters, apart from Volke who is invaluable for stealing Physic staves and cracking chests and Reyson, who is just obscene when in Heron form. Oh, and a Sage to use those Physic staves. Probably Tormod due to his awesome inherent skill and great defensive attributes (for a mage). I couldn't even imagine trying to keep Mia, Marcia and their ilk alive. Urgh.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:

Who'dathunk?

I kid. Nephenee's good too, if you can get past her godawful Move attribute and slap the Vantage skill on her. And it's nice to have a flier (Jill or Haar) with a Full Shield. Paladins are all you need to stomp the shit out of the game, though. With so many somewhat-accurate physical-based opponents and large maps, high-defense, high-movement characters reign supreme. Good thing you get seven characters that fit said archetype through the game, most of them rather early on.

I've never tried playing the game with fleshy characters, apart from Volke who is invaluable for stealing Physic staves and cracking chests and Reyson, who is just obscene when in Heron form. Oh, and a Sage to use those Physic staves. Probably Tormod due to his awesome inherent skill and great defensive attributes (for a mage). I couldn't even imagine trying to keep Mia, Marcia and their ilk alive. Urgh.

Marcia needs serious help, Mia is awesome however, having one of the best abilities in the game. Give her Guard or Adept and she'll ruin shit. She's really good.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Until she gets hit once.

Then all the enemies flood her.

And your shit luck continues.

And your GameCube burns down your house, and your face, and at the hospital you learn that your dog died because it was in the car with your mother when she crashed into a fuel tanker.

All because you used a character with less than twenty defense at lv20 promoted.

Edit: Adept's a good ability? How often does one find an opponent that doesn't fall in a single combat round (two hits)? I suppose it's somewhat useful for a Myrmidion, since swords are hideously weak compared to axes and lances and their strength isn't much cop. I'd rather use a character that had lance or axe proficiency and enough strength to tear shit up with a steel/special weapon.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Until she gets hit once.

Then all the enemies flood her.

And your shit luck continues.

And your GameCube burns down your house, and your face, and at the hospital you learn that your dog died because it was in the car with your mother when she crashed into a fuel tanker.

All because you used a character with less than twenty defense at lv20 promoted.

Edit: Adept's a good ability? How often does one find an opponent that doesn't fall in a single combat round (two hits)? I suppose it's somewhat useful for a Myrmidion, since swords are hideously weak compared to axes and lances and their strength isn't much cop. I'd rather use a character that had lance or axe proficiency and enough strength to tear shit up with a steel/special weapon.

It's based on skill, which is why it is good on a Myrmidon. I like Guard better, she'll hit them first even on their turn and stop them from hitting back at all most of the time, its quite evil.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Elendil wrote:

But yeah, I do suck.

-Soren
    -Illyana
    -Tormod
    -Calil
    -Bastian

Thunder magic is more useful endgame than wind magic, plus Ilyana's good STR growth allows you to make her a training book far earlier, I had her at S rank as a level 4 sage. Plus you get waay more chances at getting bolting books than you do blizzard, making it very helpful in the last few maps. I pretty much agree with your order though, only flipping Ilyana with Soren due to personal preference.

Count the number of Dragons you face in the entire game.

Now count the number of Flying units you face.

yeah...Ike + Laguzguard + Aether = Red Dragon pwnage. He's all the Dragon protection you need.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:

Who'dathunk?

late-game Nephenee with Wrath and Resolve, I just throw her into a field of Axe Users and she eats them all.

Mia died recently to a Killer Axe user in Hard Mode. Eliot saw it. Even though neither of us could possibly believe it. I prefer Zihark anyway, even though Mia rarely gets hit, when she does, it feckin' STINGS. Unless she has a Killer Edge/Brave Sword in her hands (or the Adept Scroll), don't expect much damage either. Compared to Zihark anyway. Who is a Tank, as much as Swordmasters get anyway.

Tormod <3

Once Marcia becomes about a lv. 5 Falcoknight she usually shapes up and stops her dying-from-everything shit right away.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:

Who'dathunk?

late-game Nephenee with Wrath and Resolve, I just throw her into a field of Axe Users and she eats them all.

Mia died recently to a Killer Axe user in Hard Mode. Eliot saw it. Even though neither of us could possibly believe it. I prefer Zihark anyway, even though Mia rarely gets hit, when she does, it feckin' STINGS. Unless she has a Killer Edge/Brave Sword in her hands (or the Adept Scroll), don't expect much damage.

Tormod <3

Once Marcia becomes about a lv. 5 Falcoknight she usually shapes up and stops her dying-from-everything shit right away.

I couldn't believe it when she was hit by an axe, it never happens to me. Marcia is good after about level 17 Peg Knight or so, she just needs more HP to be really effective.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Marcia stops dying as soon as soon as she flies against the wind when she's promoted? That's nice. Jill can be hurled into a crowd from the moment you get her (give her a Speedwing and she'll no longer be double-attacked by crows; I can't think of a better candidate for your sole Speedwing in the early game). Haar is RNG-proof and a flying tank. If you absolutely must use a Pegasus instead of a Wyvern Rider, Tanith has great evade and great (for a Pegasus) defense to back it up. Oh, and she has Reinforce, one of the better skills in the game. With room for one more five-pointer (Miracle, perhaps).

Marcia doesn't even get any decent supports to make up for her problems. Her support with Tanith would be good, but both of them need the Full Guard; you only have one, and to be quite honest any other flier is a better candidate.

It's a shame. I liked her character. She called me handsome.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Marcia stops dying as soon as soon as she flies against the wind when she's promoted? That's nice. Jill can be hurled into a crowd from the moment you get her (give her a Speedwing and she'll no longer be double-attacked by crows; I can't think of a better candidate for your sole Speedwing in the early game). Haar is RNG-proof and a flying tank. If you absolutely must use a Pegasus instead of a Wyvern Rider, Tanith has great evade and great (for a Pegasus) defense to back it up. Oh, and she has Reinforce, one of the better skills in the game. With room for one more five-pointer (Miracle, perhaps).

Marcia doesn't even get any decent supports to make up for her problems.

It's a shame. I liked her character. She called me handsome.

Fuck Tanith. One of her summoned units has better stats than her. Only time I use her is to summon units to get beat down by the Raven King, allowing my guys to talk to him to get the much desired knight ring. Speaking about the knight ring I can only find two acceptable units to put it on. You either give that ring to Rhyson or Ike, or you go home.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Fuck Tanith. One of her summoned units has better stats than her.
    That's a bad thing? These units act as fodder, and one of them is an acceptable fighter. You can even summon them twice per battle! The only disadvantage is that they take away experience, but... well, it's hardly a valuable commodity in Path of Radiance.

I use Jill and Haar as my fliers, but I bring Tanith onto the battlefield just so I can use Reinforce then have her run out of harm's way.
    Speaking about the knight ring I can only find two acceptable units to put it on. You either give that ring to Rhyson or Ike, or you go home.
    I believe you mean Reyson.

And I'm not correcting your spelling error, I'm a better person than that. I'm simply stating that if you put the Knight Ring on any character other than Reyson, even Ike, you're a terrible man.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    Fuck Tanith. One of her summoned units has better stats than her.
    That's a bad thing? These units act as fodder, and one of them is an acceptable fighter. You can even summon them twice per battle! The only disadvantage is that they take away experience, but... well, it's hardly a valuable commodity in Path of Radiance.

I use Jill and Haar as my fliers, but I bring Tanith onto the battlefield just so I can use Reinforce then have her run out of harm's way.
    Speaking about the knight ring I can only find two acceptable units to put it on. You either give that ring to Rhyson or Ike, or you go home.
    I believe you mean Reyson.

And I'm not correcting your spelling error, I'm a better person than that. I'm simply stating that if you put the Knight Ring on any character other than Reyson, even Ike, you're a terrible man.

Rhys, Reyson, fusion dance, need I say more? :P

I did the Reyson thing the first time, it goes very well with his healing ability and it keeps him out of harm. The things you can do with Ike and an invisible horsie are just too good to ignore.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I gave the knight ring to Rolf.

So him and Astrid could run in, shoot people, and retreat out of melee range.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif