Options

FIRE EMBLEM:Critical Hits Suck (NSF56K)

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    With regard to Astrid/Gatrie:
    [spoiler:a674b0a82c]Speak to Astrid with Ike on turn 2 and she'll join you, then you can keep her out of harm's way much easier (and of course, use her later on if you wish). Also on turn 2, use Astrid to speak to Gatrie, and he will join you as well, giving you another tank.. useful for this chapter certainly (I use him on the right side).[/spoiler:a674b0a82c]
    [spoiler:a674b0a82c]You can actually get Astrid on Turn 1. You need Mordecai and maybe someone like Boyd. Smite Ike 2 places, then shove him 1 more place (or maybe vice versa, I forget). Ike will now be able to reach Astrid, which will allow Astrid to recruit Gatrie and head for safety. This will also ensure that attacking Daein troops don't take her out on the very first turn since they'll probably be too busy targetting all the other NPC soldiers.[/spoiler:a674b0a82c]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    [spoiler:7bbc007877]Speak to Astrid with Ike on turn 2 and she'll join you, then you can keep her out of harm's way much easier (and of course, use her later on if you wish). Also on turn 2, use Astrid to speak to Gatrie, and he will join you as well, giving you another tank.. useful for this chapter certainly (I use him on the right side).[/spoiler:7bbc007877]
    [spoiler:7bbc007877]You can actually get Astrid on Turn 1. You need Mordecai and maybe someone like Boyd. Smite Ike 2 places, then shove him 1 more place (or maybe vice versa, I forget). Ike will now be able to reach Astrid, which will allow Astrid to recruit Gatrie and head for safety. This will also ensure that attacking Daein troops don't take her out on the very first turn since they'll probably be too busy targetting all the other NPC soldiers.[/spoiler:7bbc007877]
    [spoiler:7bbc007877]Good point, but does that work if you aren't using Mordecai? I suppose you could Shove 3 times. I usually just defend Astrid for 1 turn, with mounted units you can do it (personally I use Oscar and Titania). This is just another example of the variety of options available in Fire Emblem, which is why I love it. [/spoiler:7bbc007877]

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    Enig wrote:
    [spoiler:5b9d3af628]Speak to Astrid with Ike on turn 2 and she'll join you, then you can keep her out of harm's way much easier (and of course, use her later on if you wish). Also on turn 2, use Astrid to speak to Gatrie, and he will join you as well, giving you another tank.. useful for this chapter certainly (I use him on the right side).[/spoiler:5b9d3af628]
    [spoiler:5b9d3af628]You can actually get Astrid on Turn 1. You need Mordecai and maybe someone like Boyd. Smite Ike 2 places, then shove him 1 more place (or maybe vice versa, I forget). Ike will now be able to reach Astrid, which will allow Astrid to recruit Gatrie and head for safety. This will also ensure that attacking Daein troops don't take her out on the very first turn since they'll probably be too busy targetting all the other NPC soldiers.[/spoiler:5b9d3af628]
    [spoiler:5b9d3af628]Good point, but does that work if you aren't using Mordecai? I suppose you could Shove 3 times.[/spoiler:5b9d3af628]
    [spoiler:5b9d3af628]I never actually considered doing that, but I'm pretty sure you could. Of course, that would mean using 3 people to nudge Ike towards Astrid instead of just 2. And since I personally place a lot of importance on the early stages of most maps in that I want to get my units out there in the important spots as quickly as possible, getting to move one unit less into position kind of bothers me. So I use Mordecai and his Smite for that map.[/spoiler:5b9d3af628]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    Enig wrote:
    [spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]Speak to Astrid with Ike on turn 2 and she'll join you, then you can keep her out of harm's way much easier (and of course, use her later on if you wish). Also on turn 2, use Astrid to speak to Gatrie, and he will join you as well, giving you another tank.. useful for this chapter certainly (I use him on the right side).[/spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]
    [spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]You can actually get Astrid on Turn 1. You need Mordecai and maybe someone like Boyd. Smite Ike 2 places, then shove him 1 more place (or maybe vice versa, I forget). Ike will now be able to reach Astrid, which will allow Astrid to recruit Gatrie and head for safety. This will also ensure that attacking Daein troops don't take her out on the very first turn since they'll probably be too busy targetting all the other NPC soldiers.[/spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]
    [spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]Good point, but does that work if you aren't using Mordecai? I suppose you could Shove 3 times.[/spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]
    [spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]I never actually considered doing that, but I'm pretty sure you could. Of course, that would mean using 3 people to nudge Ike towards Astrid instead of just 2. And since I personally place a lot of importance on the early stages of most maps in that I want to get my units out there in the important spots as quickly as possible, getting to move one unit less into position kind of bothers me. So I use Mordecai and his Smite for that map.[/spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]

[spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]You field a lot of units on that map, and there are quite a few bottlenecks, so don't worry about all the shoving and get to her turn one.[/spoiler:e7cd3fd73a]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:0f97e533af]You field a lot of units on that map, and there are quite a few bottlenecks, so don't worry about all the shoving and get to her turn one.[/spoiler:0f97e533af]
    [spoiler:0f97e533af]You never had Astrid get utterly slaughtered on Turn 1, have you? Well, Daein's taken out NPC Astrid on the very first turn a few times too many for this perfectionist's tastes, so getting her on that first turn is very important to me. :wink: [/spoiler:0f97e533af]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:b2a4033819]You field a lot of units on that map, and there are quite a few bottlenecks, so don't worry about all the shoving and get to her turn one.[/spoiler:b2a4033819]
    [spoiler:b2a4033819]You never had Astrid get utterly slaughtered on Turn 1, have you? Well, Daein's taken out NPC Astrid on the very first turn a few times too many for this perfectionist's tastes, so getting her on that first turn is very important to me. :wink: [/spoiler:b2a4033819]

That's what I meant, shove until you get her. I have no clue why we are spoilering all of this, its not very important to the plot.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:5414f799c5]You field a lot of units on that map, and there are quite a few bottlenecks, so don't worry about all the shoving and get to her turn one.[/spoiler:5414f799c5]
    [spoiler:5414f799c5]You never had Astrid get utterly slaughtered on Turn 1, have you? Well, Daein's taken out NPC Astrid on the very first turn a few times too many for this perfectionist's tastes, so getting her on that first turn is very important to me. :wink: [/spoiler:5414f799c5]

That's what I meant, shove until you get her. I have no clue why we are spoilering all of this, its not very important to the plot.
    Sorry. I thought that your "don't worry about the shoving" meant "don't bother with the shoving". Maybe I should start reading better.

And I think we were spoilering this because the guy/girl who started talking about the Astrid/Gatrie situation did it in spoilerspace.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Yeah I did (guy, for the record). It's sort of "secret" so I don't know, it just seemed right to spoiler it to be on the safe side. It's the sort of thing you'd find on GameFAQs or whatnot. Some people like to find that stuff out on their own.

Two mounted units can cover Astrid perfectly well for turn 1 with the help of the NPC dudes and Gatrie, if you prefer to move your force forward immediately.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:5ce0ab1af9]You field a lot of units on that map, and there are quite a few bottlenecks, so don't worry about all the shoving and get to her turn one.[/spoiler:5ce0ab1af9]
    [spoiler:5ce0ab1af9]You never had Astrid get utterly slaughtered on Turn 1, have you? Well, Daein's taken out NPC Astrid on the very first turn a few times too many for this perfectionist's tastes, so getting her on that first turn is very important to me. :wink: [/spoiler:5ce0ab1af9]

Sorry. I thought that your "don't worry about the shoving" meant "don't bother with the shoving". Maybe I should start reading better.

And I think we were spoilering this because the guy/girl who started talking about the Astrid/Gatrie situation did it in spoilerspace.

I blame Zelda for making everyone spoiler happy. It's not like we are talking about something like...

[spoiler:5ce0ab1af9]Ike is actually Mist's dad from the fuuuuuuture![/spoiler:5ce0ab1af9]

or something equally as game ruining.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    Two mounted units can cover Astrid perfectly well for turn 1 with the help of the NPC dudes and Gatrie, if you prefer to move your force forward immediately.
    That's probably very true. But in Astrid's case I get nervous of the enemy's tendency to target NPCs first, so I make sure Ike's gets severely smoted ASAP.

But I might try sending in the cavalry in this playthrough.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    That's probably very true. But in Astrid's case I get nervous of the enemy's tendency to target NPCs first, so I make sure Ike's gets severely smoted ASAP.

But I might try sending in the cavalry in this playthrough.
    It's the first turn though, if by some freak chance they get to her, restarting takes like 2 minutes. You can take out the archer with whichever mounted unit you send to cover her left side.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    It's the first turn though, if by some freak chance they get to her, restarting takes like 2 minutes.
    Yes, but it's the principle of the thing. Smite/shove gives me a sure-fire way of getting Astrid before she gets the chance to get butchered by Daein. That kind of thing is important to me.

Yeah, I'm weird.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    It's the first turn though, if by some freak chance they get to her, restarting takes like 2 minutes.
    Yes, but it's the principle of the thing. Smite/shove gives me a sure-fire way of getting Astrid before she gets the chance to get butched by Daein. That kind of thing is important to me.

Yeah, I'm weird.
    I can understand that. My wierdness is a different way. Shoving/smiting seems somewhat lacking in "elegance" as far as strategy goes. Though it is clever.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Enig wrote:
    I can understand that. My wierdness is a different way. Shoving/smiting seems somewhat lacking in "elegance" as far as strategy goes. Though it is clever.
    Oh, I <3 shoving and now I actually miss it in 7 and 8. That the potential of just one space can redefine your strategy so very much is great.

To me, anyway.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Professor HydronProfessor Hydron Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    [spoiler:1fb6747b3e]You field a lot of units on that map, and there are quite a few bottlenecks, so don't worry about all the shoving and get to her turn one.[/spoiler:1fb6747b3e]
    [spoiler:1fb6747b3e]You never had Astrid get utterly slaughtered on Turn 1, have you? Well, Daein's taken out NPC Astrid on the very first turn a few times too many for this perfectionist's tastes, so getting her on that first turn is very important to me. :wink: [/spoiler:1fb6747b3e]

I blame Zelda for making everyone spoiler happy. It's not like we are talking about something like...

[spoiler:1fb6747b3e]Ike is actually Mist's dad from the fuuuuuuture![/spoiler:1fb6747b3e]

or something equally as game ruining.

[spoiler:1fb6747b3e]where he's a robot, renegade cop![/spoiler:1fb6747b3e]

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Nintendo Network: ProfHydron
    XBox Gamertag: ProfHydron
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I must say, giving Zihark a Laguzslayer, and watching him go to town on some Laguz...really makes me feel good, in a horrible horrible way

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
    Friend Safari: Fighting ~ Machoke, Pancham, Breloom add me and tag or msg me and I'll add you back
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I must say, giving Zihark a Laguzslayer, and watching him go to town on some Laguz...really makes me feel good, in a horrible horrible way

Or Stephan for that matter. Its what I ended up doing for the ship missions anyways, so I don't feel bad.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Or Stephan for that matter. Its what I ended up doing for the ship missions anyways, so I don't feel bad.
    I think Zihark with a laguzslayer would be more ironic than Stephan with a laguzslayer. After all...

[spoiler:cf3a406cc6]Stephan isn't nearly as laguzsexual as Zihark is.[/spoiler:cf3a406cc6]

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    what's everyone's ideal 2nd weapon for Paladins? I like the following combinations for each:

Oscar: Bows *le duh*
    Kieran: Swords
    Makalov: Spears
    Astrid: Axes

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    what's everyone's ideal 2nd weapon for Paladins? I like the following combinations for each:

Oscar: Bows *le duh*
    Kieran: Swords
    Makalov: Spears
    Astrid: Axes

I think I went Bow, Spear, Spear, Sword. I only used the first three until they promoted, and then switched over to titania and Astrid, but I was doing a ladies man run, so don't take it as Gospel. Oscar, Kieran, and Astrid are the three best, followed a bit by Geoffry and Malakov.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    General question: About what point in the game should the majority of my units be hitting level 20? I know I levelled Ike too fast, but other than him none of my units are 20 yet and I'm at like, chapter 16. Most of my units are like lvl.12-15. Oscar and Ilyana are close to 20 though. I used a Scroll on Soren and Marcia.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Enig wrote:
    General question: About what point in the game should the majority of my units be hitting level 20? I know I levelled Ike too fast, but other than him none of my units are 20 yet and I'm at like, chapter 16. Most of my units are like lvl.12-15. Oscar and Ilyana are close to 20 though. I used a Scroll on Soren and Marcia.

[spoiler:ea6862fe53]There is a mission coming up that's four parts long, I'd expect most of them to level then. Also, make sure Ike is 20 during that mission, at least by the end of it.[/spoiler:ea6862fe53]

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    DrummondDrummond Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Enig wrote:

Last time I played through, almost all my units leveled up during Chapter 19. But I'd already been through the game once and knew who I wanted to use and how I wanted to level them, so your mileage may vary.

Drummond on
    sig.php
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Enig wrote:
    Hmm.

Are you trying to level up all your units equally? Because, generally speaking, that's a bad idea and you'll end up with a bunch of underlevelled units. Focus on a core group of about 12 characters and you'll be fine (unless they all die unexpectedly).

Other than that, I can't really help you. On Easy, I usually get pretty much everyone I plan to use promoted during the desert chapter and earlier and on Normal the promotions start to really roll in during Chapter 17.

I do have to admit that I'm a pussy who hasn't tried Hard yet, so I wouldn't know what the average promotion time is on that one.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Enig wrote:
    Hmm.

Are you trying to level up all your units equally? Because, generally speaking, that's a bad idea and you'll end up with a bunch of underlevelled units. Focus on a core group of about 12 characters and you'll be fine (unless they all die unexpectedly).

Other than that, I can't really help you. On Easy, I usually get pretty much everyone I plan to use promoted during the desert chapter and earlier and on Normal the promotions start to really roll in during Chapter 17.

I do have to admit that I'm a pussy who hasn't tried Hard yet, so I wouldn't know what the average promotion time is on that one.

Around the same if you are quick and good at doing mission goals, a little slower if you're not. Hard mode generally has more units in the early missions and fewer, tougher units in the later ones, so be very careful who you pick and why. Even though I did it, I wouldn't suggest dumping a whole ton of bonus exp into Mist or the Princess on Hard mode, just because that stuff can be used more effectively on great units that start awful, like Soren or Rhys.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hmm, I'm playing on Normal, so I suppose that I am roughly on target. I realise that you can only realistically use a select group of units. Without my 'Cube I'm not sure which ones I'm using precisely. Once Oscar and Ilyana promote, I think about half of my main team will be promoted, the rest in the mid 'teens. Also, I plan to incorporate a couple of the already-promoted units that you get in the 2nd half of the game.

Also, I have been kind of cheap with Bonus EXP, and I have about 1000 saved up at the moment.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Enig wrote:
    Hmm, I'm playing on Normal, so I suppose that I am roughly on target. I realise that you can only realistically use a select group of units. Without my 'Cube I'm not sure which ones I'm using precisely. Once Oscar and Ilyana promote, I think over half of my main team will be promoted. Also, I plan to incorporate a couple of the already-promoted units that you get in the 2nd half of the game.

Also, I have been kind of cheap with Bonus EXP, and I have about 1000 saved up at the moment.

When I played through normal immediately after doing my ladies mode run, I had about 3000 left by the time I got the Princess, so I had a lot of fun with that.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    what's everyone's ideal 2nd weapon for Paladins?
    Bows for Kieran, Axes for Astrid, Makalov and Oscar when I'm not going for Triangle Attack. Simply because axes are the most powerful weapon and the paladins usually have the Skill to pull it off. And I pick bows for Kieran simply because I like bows.

Besides, you get quite a few great sword and lance users, but not that many magnificent axe wielders.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    what's everyone's ideal 2nd weapon for Paladins?
    Bows for Kieran, Axes for Astrid, Makalov and Oscar when I'm not going for Triangle Attack. Simply because axes are the most powerful weapon and the paladins usually have the Skill to pull it off. And I pick bows for Kieran simply because I like bows.

Besides, you get quite a few great sword and lance users, but not that many magnificent axe wielders.

Agreed. Axes are the most powerful weapon in the game, and the most unwieldy. But since Paladins will have ungodly constitution and skill by the time they promote, giving them (killer) axes for MASSIVE DAMAGE is a no brainer to me.

And uh...swords for Kiernan, I guess, since they have the highest accuracy and with the Gamble skill, Kiernan needs all the accuracy he can get for big hits. Besides, he doesn't have the magic growth to justify spear use (unlike Oscar, mmm flame lance) and the various throwable axes sort of negate the need for a bow.

ChopperDave on
    3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bolt Axe and Flame Lance, do these suit anyone? I've heard Oscar and Marcia for the Lance, but the Axe users (aside from the Paladins) don't really get Magic very often.

I mean, if you save all your Arms Scrolls and get Mist an A rank in swords, the Sonic/Runesword combo makes her one of the better units. Keeping in mind she sucks unless she has at least a B rating in Swords.

Oh man, I don't care what anyone says, Brom is the friggin man. This guy has got like, 9 in Res as a lv. 2 General, which beats Gatrie's 2 handily. Though he doesn't double-hit very often, Luna has made one strike more than enough to decimate an enemy. I'll see how Tormod and Makalov turn out after a bit of bonus exp.

Professor Hydron on
    3DS ~ 2664-2225-0872
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    My Titania had a 12 or so magic, I gave it to her, work out OK.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I really, really liked Sacred Stones, even though I never finished it, and now that PoR is at GameStop for like twenty bucks, this might just be the purchase I need to get any use out of either of my consoles since I got hooked on WoW.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Bolt Axe and Flame Lance, do these suit anyone? I've heard Oscar and Marcia for the Lance, but the Axe users (aside from the Paladins) don't really get Magic very often.
    Tanith gets pretty good Magic as well, for a physical unit.

Bolt Axe... probably best on a Paladin, yeah,

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hamurabi wrote:
    I really, really liked Sacred Stones, even though I never finished it, and now that PoR is at GameStop for like twenty bucks, this might just be the purchase I need to get any use out of either of my consoles since I got hooked on WoW.
    :^:

At $20 I'm buying it for a friend this Christmas.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have come to a horrible realisation:

The GBA RNG hates my healers. It doesn't matter who it is. Serra, Priscilla, Natasha, Moulder, L'Arachel, they all get screwed in Magic. Always.

Now, granted, they usually become pretty awesome high-resistence dodgers, but they never manage to make a dent in anything once promoted.

Fortunately, my mages tend to get blessed, so I guess it all still balanced out, but still... level 12 and still only 3 Magic? Damn.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mang, there is nothing more satisfying than having problems with one chapter, near the end, then through a stroke of brilliance device a strategy that utterly annihilates the boss of the chapter and the last few enemies left.
    Also, fuck you Petrine, you went down like a little bitch.

Calaveron on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Calaveron wrote:
    Mang, there is nothing more satisfying than having problems with one chapter, near the end, then through a stroke of brilliance device a strategy that utterly annihilates the boss of the chapter and the last few enemies left.
    Also, fuck you Petrine, you went down like a little bitch.

Unlike previous FE games, all magic based bosses in PoR are easy bitches, because you have horrendously high res characters in this game. Mist, Rhys, Rhyson, and the sages just laugh at all magic users.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    Freezie KOFreezie KO Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This thread makes me happy and sad. I'm happy that the series gets the respect it deserves. But every time I see this, I get sad that GoD is so far away.

Freezie KO on
    Want to trade levels in Mario vs DK2 for Nintendo DS WiFi extravaganza?
    Freezie KO - 4811.1637.7460
    PM me.
  • Options
    CalaveronCalaveron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Freezie KO wrote:
    This thread makes me happy and sad. I'm happy that the series gets the respect it deserves. But every time I see this, I get sad that GoD is so far away.
    Replay all three games on Hard, mang.
    Or following a specific pattern IE promote them once they reach level 10 or only use girls or only use dudes, stuff like that.
    Also, try getting different support conversations. They're entertaining as fuck (not as much in PoR, though).

Calaveron on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Calaveron wrote:
    Freezie KO wrote:
    Replay all three games on Hard, mang.
    Or following a specific pattern IE promote them once they reach level 10 or only use girls or only use dudes, stuff like that.
    Also, try getting different support conversations. They're entertaining as fuck (not as much in PoR, though).

PoR has GREAT support conversations. Jill + Lethe explains most of the backstory, Soren+Stephan explains why Soren is the way he is, and anything with Bastion, Kierian, or Ilyana (Ilyana's conversations are truly amazing) is completely and totally worth it.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg