Options

FIRE EMBLEM:Critical Hits Suck (NSF56K)

• Options
    Shujin KatanaShujin Katana ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    my only problem with the whole series hit me when one of my characters hit 20, and no longer obtained experience

at least share the experience with other members, or something, there is obviously limited experience (except for the later games with the towers...), but even with the towers the limit just makes the game less fun. I would like if they made the level limit higher, like final fantasy, where there is really no reason other than bragging right to reach 100, so in this game sure you might not need to reach let's say 30, but make it obtainable just so you're not wasting your time.

i am too lazy to check that for grammatical/spelling errors

Shujin Katana on
    DP: 0902 9415 9324
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The series is pathetically easy as is, even on the hardest difficulty settings, long before your characters hit level 20. If you want a God-building glorified spreadsheet, pick up any of Nippon Ichi's games for the PS2. I'd rather keep the level and attribute limit, so that Fire Emblem can remain the only Strategy RPG which actually contains strategy (...before your characters promote).

Actually, I'd quite like to see the opposite to what you're proposing. Lower the caps on attributes to more reasonable levels. Anything above 20 Defense is game-breaking, and in Path of Radiance all my Paladins managed to attain that mark. This seems a better way of balancing the game than simply giving opponents more Strength, which would fuck the agile characters beyond usability.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    METAzraeL wrote:
    Hm, decided to start up my PoR file again. Just finished the 17th scenario, man that took a while for all 4 stages. At least it was easy.

Are they gonna keep the graphics the same for the Wii FE? Cus, aside from the phenomenal cut scenes, PoR is pretty ugly. It'd be sweet if they switched to all cell shaded or something along those lines.

I would kill a man for a fully and beautifully cel-shaded Fire Emblem game.

And yeah, Chapter 17 just seems to go on forever. But at least at that point you've got some solid units set up and its a walk over.

Chapter 8 is probably one of the hards ones in the game if you haven't got your characters leveled up or a couple of RNG blessed ones.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I lost Boyd so many times in chapter 8.

Cel-shading would be nice, but I'd really like the next console FE to have some style in its graphics. The intro and cutscenes are nice in PoR, but the in battle graphics are so horribly bland. Between that and the fact that it's tethered to a console means that it hasn't received a fraction of the play time that the other GBA FE's have.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    FirebatMIVFirebatMIV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    The series is pathetically easy as is, even on the hardest difficulty settings, long before your characters hit level 20. If you want a God-building glorified spreadsheet, pick up any of Nippon Ichi's games for the PS2. I'd rather keep the level and attribute limit, so that Fire Emblem can remain the only Strategy RPG which actually contains strategy (...before your characters promote).

Actually, I'd quite like to see the opposite to what you're proposing. Lower the caps on attributes to more reasonable levels. Anything above 20 Defense is game-breaking, and in Path of Radiance all my Paladins managed to attain that mark. This seems a better way of balancing the game than simply giving opponents more Strength, which would fuck the agile characters beyond usability.

Agreed, the RNG has gotten much softer as the series progressed. In Path of Radiance, there are almost no bad characters. While this is great for army variety, this makes the game almost exceptionally easy.

FirebatMIV on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Cel-shading would be nice, but I'd really like the next console FE to have some style in its graphics. The intro and cutscenes are nice in PoR, but the in battle graphics are so horribly bland. Between that and the fact that it's tethered to a console means that it hasn't received a fraction of the play time that the other GBA FE's have.
    Well, in fairness, if I'm not mistaken, it was Intelligent System's very first foray into 3D. They know about artwork, they know about sprites, but I don't think they've worked with polygons.

Also, I believe the cutscenes where made by someone else, but I'm not 100% sure on this one.

So I'm willing to forgive that the graphics were merely functional this time around. But then again, the characters and the dialogue matters to me the most and they were exceptional as always.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Well, in fairness, if I'm not mistaken, it was Intelligent System's very first foray into 3D. They know about artwork, they know about sprites, but I don't think they've worked with polygons.

Also, I believe the cutscenes where made by someone else, but I'm not 100% sure on this one.

So I'm willing to forgive that the graphics were merely functional this time around. But then again, the characters and the dialogue matters to me the most and they were exceptional as always.

Oh, I don't have a problem with Path of Radiance. As you said, they were taking their first crack at the creation of a 3D game and the quality of the title was good enough that it was fine to overlook it, being able to turn off the battlescenes made this even less of a problem.

And I would kill another man for a DS Fire Emblem title.

I haven't really seen any screenshots or footage since E3 of Goddess of Dawn, so I can't say anything about what it looks like now, but I'm sure it'll be much improved upon.

And I'm part way through my 2nd SS playthrough and it looks at though my Ross might end up having to get shelved. I hate to do it, since he was a monster in my last game, but his horrible lack of speed stat ups are really hurting him. Tana and Amelia are also suffering from a sever lack of STR.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FE:DS would be my most desired game.

I just started playing through FE SS again, as well. I lost my first copy some time ago, but I found a new box in ToysRus, luckily. I'm only just getting around to playing it, though.

Man of the Waves on
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FirebatMIV wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:

Agreed, the RNG has gotten much softer as the series progressed. In Path of Radiance, there are almost no bad characters. While this is great for army variety, this makes the game almost exceptionally easy.

I just glanced over it, but it seemed to me as the characters in PoR are just about the same as the equivalent characters in the GBA FE. Anyway I agree with lowering the level cap. I think something like 15/15 would make the game a lot more strategical especially late game where currently regardless of difficulty level you run the board. The other option I see would be to cap stats a lot lower, but then that would make some levels worthless anyway.

khain on
  • Options
    FirebatMIVFirebatMIV Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    khain wrote:
    FirebatMIV wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:

I just glanced over it, but it seemed to me as the characters in PoR are just about the same as the equivalent characters in the GBA FE. Anyway I agree with lowering the level cap. I think something like 15/15 would make the game a lot more strategical especially late game where currently regardless of difficulty level you run the board. The other option I see would be to cap stats a lot lower, but then that would make some levels worthless anyway.

FE7 was really the first game in a long time to have such awesome lords + so many viable characters. For the first time in a long time. I think PoR just continues the trend. And although the growth % look the same, the RNG is softer in that it allows for stat growths more often. I believe the guys at FESS did some research on it. The enemies also dodge less with the new hit% calculations implimented in PoR. All in all, the series has gotten easier, and I hope they reverse the trend with GoD.

FirebatMIV on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    FirebatMIV wrote:
    khain wrote:
    FirebatMIV wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:

FE7 was really the first game in a long time to have such awesome lords + so many viable characters. For the first time in a long time. I think PoR just continues the trend. And although the growth % look the same, the RNG is softer in that it allows for stat growths more often. I believe the guys at FESS did some research on it. The enemies also dodge less with the new hit% calculations implimented in PoR. All in all, the series has gotten easier, and I hope they reverse the trend with GoD.

If the RNG is 'softer' that means you either start with lower starting stats or your going to end up with higher ending stats. Unless your saying that the RNG is tipped to end up giving more odds than it should. I also didn't really notice that much of a hit difference. I actually thought some of the early PoR missions are harder than anything in either of the two GBA FEs and then after promotion all three games are easy anyway. The only thing I did notice that seemed different to me is that enemy str seemed to be through the roof in PoR and that if you made a mistake with a vulnerable character they were pretty gone 100% of the time where in FE and FESS I didn't really have that problem as much. I do think their to easy though, its suppose to be a challenging system and its really only challenging until you promote. I haven't played any of them pre-GBA either so I can't comment on those.

khain on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I'm really starting to play PoR for the first time.

Whats the purpose of the order command? Don't I order my troops movements anyway?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Bloods End wrote:
    So I'm really starting to play PoR for the first time.

Whats the purpose of the order command? Don't I order my troops movements anyway?
    It's basically a way to get your units to automatically move towards a certain location. Probably good if you want them to go a long distance without needing to manually move them for each turn. I never found much use for it though.

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Beaten.

To add something meaningful, I hope FE10 gives some more stat bonuses when promoting a class and lower growth rates to compensate. It makes promoting a class that more satisfying. Like Dieck and Rutger suddenly leaving bodies left and right after becoming a Hero/Swordmaster. I miss that. All the game gives now are some measly stat points and a secondary weapon or bonus.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This desert stage (chapter 15) is pretty fucking annoying.

Elendil on
  • Options
    NionNion Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope future FE's (Hopefully on the DS, as the system (despite what the developers seem to think) is perfect for strategic, turn-based games) both bring back the good parts of FE4\5 (my favourites, both story and gameplay) and innovate a bit. The newer FE's seem to have stopped moving forward and are regressing back towards the NES era.

I haven't tried POR, but from what I've heard it uses too many of the features from the GBA games that were worse than FE4\5. Though, not having tried it, I cannot say for sure. It does still use the moronic "max X characters each combat but still bloody easy"-system, right? And the "Legendary weapon that breaks for no apparent reason"-system?

Nion on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Nion wrote:
    I hope future FE's (Hopefully on the DS, as the system (despite what the developers seem to think) is perfect for strategic, turn-based games) both bring back the good parts of FE4\5 (my favourites, both story and gameplay) and innovate a bit. The newer FE's seem to have stopped moving forward and are regressing back towards the NES era.

I haven't tried POR, but from what I've heard it uses too many of the features from the GBA games that were worse than FE4\5. Though, not having tried it, I cannot say for sure. It does still use the moronic "max X characters each combat but still bloody easy"-system, right? And the "Legendary weapon that breaks for no apparent reason"-system?
    Well, it does bring back the Strength/Magic system, as well as skills. The former isn't particularly useful, but skills certainly are. Some of them are even copies of old skills, although it's a shame Meteor Sword isn't as good anymore.

To be fair, the difficulty in FE4/5 lied in, which seemed, near infinite supplies of enemies. The characters were usually better than the average grunts, they just have a lot more friends to bring along.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    Beaten.

To add something meaningful, I hope FE10 gives some more stat bonuses when promoting a class and lower growth rates to compensate. It makes promoting a class that more satisfying. Like Dieck and Rutger suddenly leaving bodies left and right after becoming a Hero/Swordmaster. I miss that. All the game gives now are some measly stat points and a secondary weapon or bonus.

I thought FE:POR had some pretty nice stat gains upon class advancement. I may be mistaken.

I'm all for FE7 and FE9 gameplay where experience is limited and you aren't able to level up infinately like FE8 since it adds to the difficulty of the game.

I would like there to be more S rank weapons available then what FE9 had and there to be more your characters (all not just the lord and a select individual or two) to be able to assist in the final fight as well beyond just helping against the enemy grunts.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I don't know, personally, I wasn't too amazed by Gatrie's defense bonus or Mia's strength bonus or Ilyana's magic bonus. I guess I prefer specialization over diversification.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Critical hits do suck. Gah.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm a fan of the bonus experience that FE:POR gave out, since you could abuse Astrid and Geoffrey (since they gained double exp) to essentially max out their stats. I never even used Astrid for a while since I wanted to control what stats she gained using bonus exp. At the end, I think she was missing some hps but had all other stats maxed out by the time she was near level 16 upgraded.

I preferred characters that were more well rounded then specialized, so the stat gains between classes seemed to be helpful for me. The fact that you get so many characters helped since I didn't have many characters that were good every time I played through the game thanks to the RNG.

Ardor on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The only thing I don't like about the US release of PoR was the lack of the final difficulty level. Hard is unforgiving in the first ten missions, but after that it is pretty damn easy. I really enjoyed the branching class system of Sacred Stones, and I loved the three trainees from that game. I also love the characters and the story in FE7, no matter how cliched.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    The only thing I don't like about the US release of PoR was the lack of the final difficulty level. Hard is unforgiving in the first ten missions, but after that it is pretty damn easy.
    That's like every Fire Emblem, except maybe FE7.

There has to be some leeway in case when the RNG decides to fuck you over.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    The only thing I don't like about the US release of PoR was the lack of the final difficulty level. Hard is unforgiving in the first ten missions, but after that it is pretty damn easy.
    That's like every Fire Emblem, unless maybe FE7.

Oh, I totally agree, its just that my complusion to kill every single enemy unit really plays against me in the first ten PoR missions, especially the hold out x turns missions. I could do them defensively with no problem, but I'd rather see if I can clear the map.

FE7 has a damn fun boss rush final mission. I've died plenty of times underestimating those guys even with near max stat 20/20 lords.

I would love to see another generational FE game. Also being able to capture/arrest enemy units, that was fun and balls hard.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    That's like every Fire Emblem, unless maybe FE7.

Oh, I totally agree, its just that my complusion to kill every single enemy unit really plays against me in the first ten PoR missions, especially the hold out x turns missions. I could do them defensively with no problem, but I'd rather see if I can clear the map.

FE7 has a damn fun boss rush final mission. I've died plenty of times underestimating those guys even with near max stat 20/20 lords.

I would love to see another generational FE game. Also being able to capture/arrest enemy units, that was fun and balls hard.

You know what would be interesting? (I'm unsure of what 'generational FE game' means, FYI) If you could somehow capture an enemy unit and have them join you, see Dynasty Tactics for example. If you haven't played the game, if you beat someone thoroughly enough, they will join your side and fight with you.

I also think it would be kind of neat if you were able to get some generic units, or if the majority of characters had growth rates that weren't quite as good as we've seen them traditionally. That would add some more difficulty to the game that I would favor myself. I might just be strange though.

Ardor on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is there even a good reason to have level-up stat gains randomized?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jothki wrote:

The excitement of seeing every single stat, even the useless ones go up a pip, and the frustration of not gaining anything. It makes it more fun.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    jothki wrote:

I thought it was neat since it typically allowed you to use different characters in different playthroughs since most characters don't have huge growth rates that make them consistantly great.

It also allows you to have some very good characters and some very bad characters, instead of more specialized characters. POR allowed you (after you beat the game) to go through with static growth for those who didn't want to bother with random stats.

Ardor on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jothki wrote:
    The excitement of seeing every single stat, even the useless ones go up a pip, and the frustration of not gaining anything. It makes it more fun.
    Bollocks does it. When every single attribute goes up, you get an overpowered unit, which is frustrating. When you get a string of fuck-all on your levels, you get a gimped unit. Which is frustrating.

With branching promotion paths (Sacred Stones), selecting from a list of additional upgrades on promotion (Path of Radiance) and greatly increasing the amount of +attribute items gained, each and every unit could be unique and well worth using with "static" levels. The difficulty could be increased tenfold because the developers could fairly estimate the strength of your army, assuming you haven't got everyone killed. You can pick any unit you like and know it will be good. Random levels just don't make sense in a strategy game.

Ideally, I would "fix" the experience table so that a level 5 character would need a lot more experience to level than a level 1 character (encouraging the user to spread experience across dozens of prospective units). I would lower the attribute caps. I would bring in truly fixed levels that give you characters on par with those the enemy fields without any bonuses. I would greatly increase the availability of +attribute items to allow you to craft your Gods yourself rather than relying on a random number generator. And (now this would be drastic) I would remove experience gain mid-battle, and have it mostly awarded pre-battle using Path of Radiance's "Bonus Experience" system, with additional non-transferable bonuses offered to individual units post-battle for completing certain actions, such as defeating a powerful opponent or rescuing an ally. This would of course speed battles up and place an emphasis on using all your available units to complete a battle, rather than only using a single unit because he needs levelling. Oh, if only Intelligent Systems confirmed receipt of my e-mails. And returned my calls. And let me visit their company headquarters. And didn't turn me over to the police when I firebombed the place.

Does anyone else wish for drastic overhauls to the "established" system? As well as the above, I would wish for the promotion system to become an amalgamation of Sacred Stones' and Path of Radiance's, but I've done enough idle daydreaming already.
    Ardor wrote:
    POR allowed you (after you beat the game) to go through with static growth for those who didn't want to bother with random stats.
    It's not static. It's still random. Just very slightly less random, with a tendancy to punish those that level using Bonus Experience.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Gambling makes life more exciting! Or at least that's what some people tell me.

It's basically chance which is a bit more interesting than fixed rates based on class in my opinion. Unless you're a banker.

Lucky bastards getting a straight/flush on the river.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the advice before guys.
    [spoiler:d7f4d7ba4e]After a few attempts to beat the black knight, it's pretty obvious that my Ike is simply too weaksauce to do it. I'll have to escape this time, but when I get up to this point on my hard playthrough, I will fuck his shit up.[/spoiler:d7f4d7ba4e]

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    That's like every Fire Emblem, except maybe FE7.

Maybe I have a different style of play, but I've played all the us FE games at least twice and never had a single play through where I didn't have a character that could solo the map past promotions.

khain on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Chen wrote:
    Gambling makes life more exciting! Or at least that's what some people tell me.

It's basically chance which is a bit more interesting than fixed rates based on class in my opinion. Unless you're a banker.

Lucky bastards getting a straight/flush on the river.

I don't know whether it would even work without randomization. What I really like (And sometimes hate) is how every playthrough can change. I mean sure it sucked when my Nephenee ended up being complete shit, but that last PoR playthrough when my Gatrie capped his speed made up for it.

[spoiler:6a98b4850e]Gatrie with maxed speed it a fucking beast[/spoiler:6a98b4850e]

Kelor on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ardor wrote:
    You know what would be interesting? (I'm unsure of what 'generational FE game' means, FYI)
    I haven't played FE4, but I think I've heard enough about it to explain.

FE4 only had 10 Chapters. The first 5 you played as... well... a bunch of guys and the next 5 you played as the kids of that bunch of guys. So who supported with who during the first 5 chapters affects how your units will perform during the last 5 chapters (For example, if Edin hooks up with Jamuka, her son Lester will have high Strength growth and inherit the skills Rapid Hit and Charge. But if she marries Azel, Lester will be born with high Speed and Luck growth rates and inherit the Pursuit skill).

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    I'd rather keep the level and attribute limit, so that Fire Emblem can remain the only Strategy RPG which actually contains strategy
    We at the Super Robot Wars thread would like to call

SHENANIGANS.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:
    I'd rather keep the level and attribute limit, so that Fire Emblem can remain the only Strategy RPG which actually contains strategy

SHENANIGANS.

I think it was a real dig against Disgaea, which in itself is a poor insult. The real planning in those games has to do with efficent leveling for the ultimate power gaming experience.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Mumblyfish wrote:

SHENANIGANS.

I think it was a real dig against Disgaea, which in itself is a poor insult. The real planning in those games has to do with efficent leveling for the ultimate power gaming experience.

No wonder I couldn't bring myself to play Disgaea for too long. It's a damned grind.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Clash.Clash. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    New Famitsu scans:

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fire01emblmwii1yr6.jpg
    http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fire01emblmwii2tp5.jpg

Released next month in Japan. Trying not to think about when the Pal release will be.

Clash. on
  • Options
    cursor101cursor101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Clash. wrote:
    New Famitsu scans:

Released next month in Japan. Trying not to think about when the Pal release will be.

What they need to do is hurry up and announce a version for the DS.

cursor101 on
    MK:DS 451051-559978
    Guy1: There's nothing bitchin about the games soundtrack. It's practically all elevator music.

Guy2: That's just hilariously stupid. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background.
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Clash. wrote:
    New Famitsu scans:

so how is this controlled? Last I heard at E3 it was using the classic controller.

also, I really can't wait for this game, I thought Path of Radiance was fantastic.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575