As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MotW 11/12/2008 - Wolverine AND Kingdom Come:Superman

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tactile. Telekinesis.

This.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tactile. Telekinesis.

What? why are you saying that? what is this a reference to? Something to do with Superboy?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tactile. Telekinesis.

What? why are you saying that? what is this a reference to? Something to do with Superboy?

For a single moment, I thought, hoped, prayed, it was Con-El. And then my dreams were dashed.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    TankTank Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Booster Gold goodness I mentioned earlier.
    00251zas

00252edb

Tank on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hahaha

That's pretty fucking awesome.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Nightwing: A little something for the ladies
    1226539633757.jpg

1226539696816.jpg

:):):)

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Tactile. Telekinesis.

Maybe.
    At the end of Action Comics this week we see a new Nightwing using Tactile Telekinesis. Here's hoping it's Kon-El. It should also be noted that the Superboy statue in Metropolis is destroyed in the very same issue.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Why would it be Kon-El?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is absolutely not Kon El

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    I didn't like Batman: Cacophony much at all. Everyone was so out of character. The art looked good at least, but I just don't dig the dialogue.

Apparently the Joke's gay now?

Anyone else not really like the way Deadshot was drawn when shown from his left side? Maybe it's just that his bulging eye thing doesn't work, but it just looked really amateur and simplistic whenever he was shown from profile.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, Cacophony didn't do much for me, either - it felt like a story I've read a hundred times before (I don't even think the "Joker is bi" element is a new wrinkle).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just from the scan I'd say the joker was hilarious. It didn't seem out of character to me, it seemed like something he might do if he knew the guy wouldn't take him up on it. It's all about fucking with their heads.

Scooter on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scooter wrote: »
    Just from the scan I'd say the joker was hilarious. It didn't seem out of character to me, it seemed like something he might do if he knew the guy wouldn't take him up on it. It's all about fucking with their heads.

Morrison came up with it, so it really isn't new, but it still makes sense. Joker is whatever makes you the most uncomfortable.

Furu on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Originally Civil War was going to be a 12 issue maxi series that combined both CW AND World War Hulk. During the climactic fight between the heros, Hulk would show up with HULK BABIES and wreck havoc on everything.

Didn't Bendis make fun of Millar for Hulk Babies for a while? or was it Loeb or something?

smokmnky on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bendis would have been jealous he didn't think of it first.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    Titans #7 actually wasn't awful. The art was nice, at least. My main complaints are a) the ending was obvious (especially after DCU: Decisions), and b) Jericho spoke in his own body

How'd they get away with both showing and saying Superboy, though?

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My main complaint is that Jericho is bad again

i sure am glad they put all that effort into bringing him back

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Trinity

trinity24019wd9.jpg

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Cubicle CaptiveCubicle Captive Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Trinity

trinity24019wd9.jpg

Nice. I gave up on Trinity, but that is pretty funny.

Cubicle Captive on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's funny, but it's also a kind of weird hanging-lantern on that issue. I mean, why doesn't that Despero need a space suit if his own soldiers think he needs one?

Whatevs.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's funny, but it's also a kind of weird hanging-lantern on that issue. I mean, why doesn't that Despero need a space suit if his own soldiers think he needs one?

Whatevs.
    It isn't despero
    I'm not reading Trinity, but the scans say so, as far as I can tell.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, that's Despero. The next panels clearly show him holding his breath:

2a0df8j.jpg

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh so it's the real despero? Is he pissed at what's his name?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    He is, and shennanigans ensue.

I'm actually really happy with TRINITY, but I'm a big fan of Busiek and Bagley, and the back-up stories haven't been filler.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I haven't actually heard anyone mention trinity in months. 52 got attention because it was great and explained the changes in the DCU. Countdown may have been pretty bad, but it was deeply relevant.

So far, the same cannot be said about Trinity.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hi I'm mattharvest now watch as I over-analyze and take all the fun out of an alien dictator screaming that air is for cowards.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't mind Trinity when I read it, but it's not exciting and I'm never like "boy howdy, can't wait to find out what happens next!"

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Keith's chief complaint about everything is that it doesn't make him want to talk like an enthused cowpoke.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    I haven't actually heard anyone mention trinity in months. 52 got attention because it was great and explained the changes in the DCU. Countdown may have been pretty bad, but it was deeply relevant.

But Countdown ended up being completley irrelevant and that only made it that much worse.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

No it wasn't. Morrison essentially ignores everything that happens

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Countdown got mentioned every week because people were like, "Hey, look how bad Countdown is this week! I can't believe I'm paying money for this!"

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It was relevant when it happened. People paid attention because Big Things were happening. They talked (or ranted) about it even if they hated it. And then it was over and everything was undone. So people bitched about that too.

No one talks about Trinity, or at least not where I can hear it. I do not get the sense the comic is worth discussing. Do we even have a trinity thread in this forum?

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TeaSpoon, when I read reviews of Trinity they have been pretty positive, particularly as time goes on. I get the feeling that too many people were burned by Countdown to countenance another weekly though.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110814-Sturges-Beetle.html

God damn it, can't they end the Blue Beetle series without killing someone off? Fuck you, DC.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll probably pick up Trinity in TPB, just because I really enjoy Busiek's work. But between not really having the money to purchase a weekly series for a year, and a general disinterest in Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, I couldn't really justify buying it.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I skipped Trinity because I didnt want to pay 2.99 a week for only 12 pages of Busiek/Bagely, the backups hold no interest for me.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/110814-Sturges-Beetle.html

God damn it, can't they end the Blue Beetle series without killing someone off? Fuck you, DC.

I imagine this will be the setup for Blue Beetle's arch-nemesis, Black Beetle, who was featured in Booster Gold. As seen in Booster's title, Black Beetle blamed Jaime for the death of a girl or woman who was close to him. Though Black Beetle was called Joshua in Booster Gold, that could easily be an assumed name, middle name, or the first name of someone that more commonly goes by a nickname or middle name. So we can disregard that.

I think that leaves a few options for the identity of Black Beetle. The first and most obvious is Paco, blaming Jaime for the death of Brenda. That'd cause all kinds of blowback and drama with La Dama, and effectively rupture Beetle's entire tight-nit circle of friends. The second is the guy who does Oracle duty for Beetle; Hector I think? He works with a girl (Nadia?), and they seem reasonably close. Not much potential for drama there though. Then there's Traci 13, but there aren't many males close to her, outside of her father and the assorted vagabonds of Team 13. Plus, Azzarello and Chiang made mention of wanting to do a second Team 13 mini-series, and DC probably sees her as a viable property in and of herself.

Then there's a laundry list of other supporting cast members; some Posse members, La Dama, Jaime's mom and sister, and a bunch of others, none who seem all that likely. What convinces me it's Paco is that Black Beetle, if he wanted to save someone close to him, could have just gone back in time and snuffed Jaime while he slept. But he actively tried to go about changing history in a pretty benign way, by saving Ted Kord, and pretty much leaving Jaime be. Now that theory kind of hinges on assuming Johns and Katz weren't just being lazy (and their last issue of Booster Gold certainly showed they didn't really think some plot points through), but the safe money's on Brenda biting it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm just tired of it. Maybe I've been reading comics too long. Can't we just get a final issue, with a last page a picture of the cast waving into the sunset?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's probably best to end on a dour note. Remember, I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League ended with Max and Beetle standing together having a laugh, Ralph and Sue thinking about having a baby, Fire and Booster flirting, and Mary Marvel having dismissed the incredulous idea of her wearing bondage slut clothes.

Somewhere in the bowels of the DC offices there is a vast machine that consumes happy endings, expelling twisted lumps of melodrama and manufactured pathos.

Munch on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    DiDio needs a puppy. Or a blowjob.

Or both.

Crimsondude on