As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Bjorns mottar haelgond sygar [chat]

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    once I get some of those heirloom items I'm probably gonna make another alt from scratch, cause that gear will make it much easier.

Too bad it's my 2nd account that I would like some of the items on and my deamon warlock is the highest character there 47

Brainleech on
  • Options
    robotsintheskiesrobotsintheskies Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't played WoW in ages, but for some reason I want to play a full Arcane mage really badly right now.

Really, really badly.

robotsintheskies on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Speaking of the heirloom stuff, I wonder how they do with account-bound stuff if you make a new character on a different server. Some guy to talk to to get it, I guess.

I'm guessing it's tied to the server so "server account" bound.

shadowane on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I am fairly certain I will never ever level a character from scratch again.
    Pretty much this. Unless they can entice me with another new class (and short of a Monk or some derivative of it, I don't see it happening), I'm pretty much done with starting from scratch.

Well, I guess unless they go back and re-vamp all of Azeroth and the quests to make it "new" again, but I don't see them doing that until maybe the WoW sequel.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Speaking of the heirloom stuff, I wonder how they do with account-bound stuff if you make a new character on a different server. Some guy to talk to to get it, I guess.

No, bind to account doesn't mean you magically get it on every character, it just means you can trade it between your characters on the same realm.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »

No, bind to account doesn't mean you magically get it on every character, it just means you can trade it between your characters on the same realm.

Then they should have called it "bind to realm" instead, because what I said is what bind to account actually means.

Echo on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Well I thinking about flipping a coin and transfering
    It's going to cost me a ton of cash hense why really want a free transfer or blizzard to be smart about transfers instead of lets open a new realm and then count the cash

My thought about transfers is
    Take 3 realms they need to dump some players onto other servers
    Windrunner needs horde and needs to lose allaince
    3 other realms need allaince

Well I had a graph but it looks like crap here

Lets make one of the realms you transfer to a pvp server for whatever reason

I would add more realms but it was confusing to make a simple chart with text

Instead of giving one realm to transfer to why not 3 or 4 and even out the pop across the realms instead of making a new one?
    Brainleech indeed

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But they're not bound to the realm, are they? For $25, they're bound to whatever realm you want, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the questing in WLK is truly outstanding. Getting to 75 this weekend was a lot of fun, especially tearing up Dragonblight and Grizzly Hills. The variety in terrain and questing and whatnot is breathtaking.

Worst quest idea in WLK: the quest chain where you have to run around to the troll areas in GH, summon some fucker and talk to him. But you can summon him at a number of places, but can only talk to him at a certain place. And yes, the quests do specify where you should turn it in, but the brazier is right there, and I kept ending up with the 5 minute "talk with me" buff and being unable to talk to the fucking guy. Basically I need Blizzard to protect me from my own stupidity.

Best questing so far; the "outhouse quest" made me laugh. I've collected a lotta poo during my WoW career. For the first time in 4 years, my character had to generate some of his own.

And the "escape the worgen" quest, also in Grizzly Hills. Absolutely awesome. I was tempted to drop it so I could do it again.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    they need to make a heroic healer class for real. All I see is "lf1m healer" no one wants to reroll a healer through Azeroth

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    they need to make a heroic healer class for real. All I see is "lf1m healer" no one wants to reroll a healer through Azeroth

And no one will, until healers get the same treatment that tanks did. The spellpower change helped a lot, but not enough. A prot warrior will be vastly easier to level than a resto druid.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar have you done Drak'Theron yet, because those Drakuru quests pay off huge and it's so worth it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

You'd still be in the same situation. There are plenty of people who could heal/tank if they wanted to but the problem is nobody wants to. Making damage and healing gear the same should help towards this when we get dual specs, but at the moment you're just going to have to suck it up. I know that people can heal with non-healing specs in these normal dungeons but everyone is so ingrained in the heroic mindset of only healing specs heal. Combine this with the people who play healing hybrids but flat out refuse (because they don't enjoy it or whatever) and you have a tank/healer shortage while leveling.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Septus wrote: »

And no one will, until healers get the same treatment that tanks did. The spellpower change helped a lot, but not enough. A prot warrior will be vastly easier to level than a resto druid.

I remember in Ragnarok Online priests used to level by healing undead mobs to death. I always found that kind of funny.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Forar have you done Drak'Theron yet, because those Drakuru quests pay off huge and it's so worth it.

Sadly no, I've only done the Nexus and ... the first bug instance. AN? Anjut'nerub or some shit?

I've pretty much given up on instance runs for the most part, but luckily I don't need the gear, so it'd just be a decent source of Exp, but it also burns through a lot of rested, whereas flat questing allows me to gain 2 levels on ~65% rested.

I figure I'll end up seeing them eventually, but the rogue is mostly just trailblazing to 80 for the alts, most of whom (read; the hybrids) will likely be far more welcome in groups.

Although I had a good moment on the weekend. I advertised myself in LFG for an instance as "Sunwell geared DPS" (I'm not above bragging a little if it sets me apart from the crowd). Some other rogue made his note "Not as well geared as Forar, but I hold my own". I applauded him for it in whispers.

Forar on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Scroffus wrote: »

You'd still be in the same situation. There are plenty of people who could heal/tank if they wanted to but the problem is nobody wants to. Making damage and healing gear the same should help towards this when we get dual specs, but at the moment you're just going to have to suck it up. I know that people can heal with non-healing specs in these normal dungeons but everyone is so ingrained in the heroic mindset of only healing specs heal. Combine this with the people who play healing hybrids but flat out refuse (because they don't enjoy it or whatever) and you have a tank/healer shortage while leveling.

Yeah, even with all the DKs floating around, tanks are still in constant demand. I've gotten into every group by being a tank. It's like "Well, I don't know if we need a DK..." "I'll tank" "SWEET! /invite".

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man if you went through the trouble of doing Drakuru's bullshit you really owe it to yourself to do the last step in Drak'Theron Keep to see what happens.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man if you went through the trouble of doing Drakuru's bullshit you really owe it to yourself to do the last step in Drak'Theron Keep to see what happens.
    And then finish it off in Zul'Drak.

So worth it. Even if the last quest in that chain is godawful.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hey, I'd love to do that. I try to get into groups, but PuG's are drowning in DPS, and guild groups are mostly beyond those instances already.

I honestly think I'll end up doing half or more of the 5 mans for the first time on heroic, at this rate.

Forar on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My vote for Toughest Northrend Quest (thus far) goes to Escape from Silverbrook in Grizzly Hills. Took me 4 tries to finally beat that one. Dang.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And Blizzard's unbroken streak of poop quests continues. The Grizzly Hills outhouse quest is hilariously over-the-top, altho I still prefer the outhouse in the Burning Steppes.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Bring me silk cloth. Lots of silk cloth."

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm really liking the Grizzly Hills zone. Great atmosphere, outstanding background music.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gives you something to poop to.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    And the Grizzly Hills brings the first appearance of PVP lakes into WOTLK. Think the Blizzard guys had played some WAR in beta ?

Fairchild on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well I made it a month until this fucking kidney stone drove me back to WoW. I had resisted the temptation of the new expansion fairly well, but I feel like there's an angry badger in my abdomen and I needed a mindless distraction that was semi-engaging.

Unfortunately I didn't see this slow ass/long ass download/install coming. Sketchy as hell, too. Ranges from full blast 700KB/s to stalling for minutes at a time downloading nothing.

edit.. are there a shit ton of DK mains around? Towards the end there I was somewhat burned out on WoW, I'd like to roll hard on a new class just to have a change of pace. But my main for a long time was a rogue and fuck being the overpopulated, "LFM no more <class>" class again. If that's the case I'll have to decide between my prot war or boomkin.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I'm really liking the Grizzly Hills zone. Great atmosphere, outstanding background music.
    Grizzly Hills is my favorite zone so far, with the Fjord coming in a close second. Sholazar's decent enough, but it gets too "Stranglethorn-y" there; I imagine it would be a tremendous pain for anyone not using a flying mount in that area.

Speaking of which, I really hope they don't pull this "you can't fly for 70% of your leveling career" in the next expansion. Getting flying (again) at level 77 really made me realize how shitty travelling between the numerous quest hubs had been while on (bear) foot. The whole "well, we didn't want you to bypass the content" is bullshit of a significant magnitude, because you can't bypass it anyway. You have to quest to level (in any kind of reasonable timeframe), so I have to visit all of those hubs. Only, with flying, I don't have to worry about falling down a huge cliff and dying every eight seconds, or stumbling into an alliance hub that I didn't know existed, or getting dazed and dismounted for the squillionth time.

It's not like "Hey, I can fly! Fuck you, leveling!"

Halfmex on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    They will do the no flying thing again. It's a way to regulate travel and questing direction

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Wombat02Wombat02 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I actually like not being able to fly. Flying mounts make the game boring and too easy. You don't have to worry about aggroing mobs, you don't get to appreciate the landscape and it just doesn't seem like you are as involved with the game. I would have been ok with Northrend not having flying mounts. Having to use the baddass lifts and other architecture is so much cooler than just flying to the top of cliffs or buildings.

Wombat02 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm sure they will, but how does it regulate questing direction? Other than those areas that require flying to get to (haven't come across them yet, but I assume there are some), you can get anywhere via ground mount. It's just a question of "why", really.

And truthfully, if they wanted to regulate where you could fly, just do what they do with Wintergrasp and dismount you upon entering the zone (though I would REALLY like some kind of warning for that, not just "hey Wintergras-SPLAT").

Halfmex on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    What's with that forest zone north of Dragonblight ? Is that a pvp area or is it saved for future use, like Silithus ? I wandered in there and while it's certainly very attractive it was also very empty of people.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Wombat02 wrote: »
    I actually like not being able to fly. Flying mounts make the game boring and too easy. You don't have to worry about aggroing mobs, you don't get to appreciate the landscape and it just doesn't seem like you are as involved with the game. I would have been ok with Northrend not having flying mounts. Having to use the baddass lifts and other architecture is so much cooler than just flying to the top of cliffs or buildings.
    I'm with you. Having a flight mount when I first busted into Hellfire or Zangarmarsh would really have diminished the experience.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fairchild wrote: »
    What's with that forest zone north of Dragonblight ? Is that a pvp area or is it saved for future use, like Silithus ? I wandered in there and while it's certainly very attractive it was also very empty of people.

Crystalsong Forest is for future use

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I haven't seen a whole hell of a lot of Northrend yet. If I was able to fly though, the only zone that wouldn't be ruined for me would be Borean Tundra. Well, Dragonblight too since it's mostly flat from what I was able to run through, aside from some hot spots.

Henroid on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    But they're not bound to the realm, are they? For $25, they're bound to whatever realm you want, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, the questing in WLK is truly outstanding. Getting to 75 this weekend was a lot of fun, especially tearing up Dragonblight and Grizzly Hills. The variety in terrain and questing and whatnot is breathtaking.

Worst quest idea in WLK: the quest chain where you have to run around to the troll areas in GH, summon some fucker and talk to him. But you can summon him at a number of places, but can only talk to him at a certain place. And yes, the quests do specify where you should turn it in, but the brazier is right there, and I kept ending up with the 5 minute "talk with me" buff and being unable to talk to the fucking guy. Basically I need Blizzard to protect me from my own stupidity.

Best questing so far; the "outhouse quest" made me laugh. I've collected a lotta poo during my WoW career. For the first time in 4 years, my character had to generate some of his own.

And the "escape the worgen" quest, also in Grizzly Hills. Absolutely awesome. I was tempted to drop it so I could do it again.

If I ever see that troll again, I'm going to choke that little bitch. Seriously. Escape from the worgen was awesome. We need more quests like that. And the machine gun quest in Dragonblight.
    Providing cover fire with a grenade launcher/machine gun to wounded Alliance warriors.
    I kept doing it long after I finished it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm on the opposite side of the fence. There are a lot of places that I didn't truly appreciate the scope of until I flew by it - the Fjord is a great example, but there are others, like the Nexus area of Coldarra, Icecrown, hell even Zul'Drak has some amazing areas (and enemies) that are tough to appreciate from an ant's-eye view.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I'm sure they will, but how does it regulate questing direction? Other than those areas that require flying to get to (haven't come across them yet, but I assume there are some), you can get anywhere via ground mount. It's just a question of "why", really.

And truthfully, if they wanted to regulate where you could fly, just do what they do with Wintergrasp and dismount you upon entering the zone (though I would REALLY like some kind of warning for that, not just "hey Wintergras-SPLAT").
    Let's take Howling Fjord hordeside as an example: you're on your way to New Agamar, the town in the south, after completing the quests in the starter hub. On your way you pass by two quest hubs: one you were directed to by the final quest from before and one you weren't. The second one you would have ended up skipping with flying, assuming you knew exactly where the town was.

Second example, still from Fjord, is something I did myself. To get to the Tuskarr island you're supposed to take the gondola which has a quest giver that triggers a huge questline there. If you get to the island by boat like I did or flying there directly, though, you find 3 easy quests there and nothing else.

Opty on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Halfmex wrote: »
    I'm on the opposite side of the fence. There are a lot of places that I didn't truly appreciate the scope of until I flew by it - the Fjord is a great example, but there are others, like the Nexus area of Coldarra, Icecrown, hell even Zul'Drak has some amazing areas (and enemies) that are tough to appreciate from an ant's-eye view.

Which is why I like the idea of having flying later on. You run through all these zones and get one impression of it, and you keep your impression of size, and then you get to fly later on and discover everything you could see from the ground.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So has anyone heard anything about dual specs yet? Or is that still just pie-in-the-sky stuff that whoever said it at Blizzard probably shouldn't have?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Remind me also to never install QuestHelper. Pugged the Wanton Warlord questline yesterday and both of my allies were using QH and that danged thing diminishes WOW's fun factor by 75%.

Kill three magnataur mini-bosses ? No problem. Beeline to spot A, kill one. Gallop to spot B, kill another. Spot C likwise. Now kill the Warlord boss ? Don't we need to find him first ? No way, noob, QH takes us right to him, Bam ! questline over in 5 minutes flat.

Woo Hoo. What fun. Now, I was just as annoyed as the next person when trying to find Manrik's wife or those animal bosses in STV for the first time, but what the heck, much of the game's atmosphere comes from exploring a zone to find quest targets and stumbling onto neat little details of terrain or character. Besides, that's how you find your mineral and herb veins. If you're running QH you might as well run a quest-bot, too, it makes things so easy.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    They said they were aiming for the first content patch of wrath

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Opty wrote: »
    Let's take Howling Fjord hordeside as an example: you're on your way to New Agamar, the town in the south, after completing the quests in the starter hub. On your way you pass by two quest hubs: one you were directed to by the final quest from before and one you weren't. The second one you would have ended up skipping with flying, assuming you knew exactly where the town was.

Second example, still from Fjord, is something I did myself. To get to the Tuskarr island you're supposed to take the gondola which has a quest giver that triggers a huge questline there. If you get to the island by boat like I did or flying there directly, though, you find 3 easy quests there and nothing else.
    Well there we're talking about quests and "breadcrumbs", and that would be an easy fix. Frankly there were plenty of times where I'd stumble across a quest hub that had no breadcrumbs leading to it, or I'd run out of quests in a zone and have to hoof it around the whole area trying to find the spot I missed. Flying makes that easier (did this in Sholazar in fact).

For the record, I understand where the "no flying" folks are coming from, but frankly I'd rather have the option TO fly then be forced not to.

Halfmex on
This discussion has been closed.