As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROUND THREE: FIGHT A: RESULTS

• Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Vorpal Sword wouldn't be in Bigby's video since he's never fought with it before. It's not like they list Batman's equipment in Superman's video, right, even though Superman's got as much of a connection to Batarangs as Bigby has to the Vorpal.
    Superman fought Boy Blue with the Vorpal Sword in the first round. Bigby used the Sword in the previous round to move on. The recap of the first round even mentions that Superman knows to avoid the Vorpal Sword.
    Damn you and your faster responding.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Agh, oh yeah.

Boy Blue should've been able to defeat Superman in the first place.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Agh, oh yeah.

No, he shouldn't have, because he is only as fast as a human, whereas Superman is as fast as light.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I understand how no one wants to see a bunch of Superman clones in the finals. However I feel down right dirty voting against Superman. Therefore, for reasons all my own I think I'm voting 1)Magneto 2)Superman 3)Marvel 4)Bigby

Everyone is voting for Marvel so I doubt my placing him third will have any impact on his performance this round.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Agh, oh yeah.

No, he shouldn't have, because he is only as fast as a human, whereas Superman is as fast as light.
    Was Doomsday fast as light?

Are ANY of the people who've beaten Superman faster than a teleporter?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just going into a corrolary, this is one of the reasons I dislike Superman so much; so many hack writers gave him random superpowers, and for some reason they've all stuck. Really, Supes should've been able to give Doomsday a ridiculously huge bitchslap, but he "needed" to die so the writers made him die.

Stopping my rant here to avoid a derail...

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    -Marvel

SHAZAM!

-Magneto

Is that a bird? No, its a Plane and 70 cars being hurled at supes with the vorpal sword hidden inside the metal some solid metal object ... if he knew it was coming he'd expect it ... but Supes ain't no sherlock holmes.

-Superman

He'd win if DC didn't spend so much time tuning down every one of his skills over the past few decades.

-bigby

Even if he was powerful, people would popluarity vote him out neways.

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Wah wah wah.

I guess some of you folks should have fought harder to get them out of this tournament in the beginning.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Isn't Bigby immortal?

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Demosthorn wrote:
    Isn't Bigby immortal?

I think, but being incapacited still counts as an out.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I can see two scenarios where Mags hits Superman with the Vorpal Sword.

One is where he surrounds the vorpal sword in something inconspicious, like a trashcan or a car, and Superman just tries to take the hit like everything else and finds a sword sticking through his chest. Its not like his x-ray vision is always on right?

Another one is where Magneto heads towards Bigby, only to see him getting destroyed by Superman. Magneto then tries to act scared and tries to talk to Superman that Mags is no match for him, that Superman can just please end it without killing him or something, while he sneakily lifts the sword up and slices Supes head off with it from behind.

Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    DemosthornDemosthorn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Demosthorn wrote:
    Isn't Bigby immortal?

I think, but being incapacited still counts as an out.

Ah, ok. Plus I'm sure Magneto can manage something with silver anyways.

Demosthorn on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Wah wah wah.

I guess some of you folks should have fought harder to get them out of this tournament in the beginning.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there weren't two of them in the same match, and it's being taken for granted that they'll team up.

Can you get any more boring?

Scooter on
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Don't forget that Mags can generate Red Sun radiation (whatever the hell that is, damn comic book physics), but that assumes he knows about that particular weakness.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Wah wah wah.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if there weren't two of them in the same match, and it's being taken for granted that they'll team up.

Can you get any more boring?

Yeah...Wolverine vs. himself.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Agh, oh yeah.

Doomsday was as fast as Superman.

When Superman doesn't want to get hit by something wielded by someone slower than him, it's not going to hit him.

And Boy Blue may be able to travel long distances instantly, but that doesn't mean he's faster than Superman. He still has to swing the sword at Supes, which gives Supes more than enough time to get out of the way.

That's like saying that Nightcrawler could hit Superman if Supes didn't want to get hit by nightcrawler. BAMF! Nightcrawler appears an inch from Superman's head! BOOM! Supes moves behind Kurt at Mach 12 before Kurt even manages to get closer, and then Supes bumps him upside the head, taking him out.

Reaction time is key here. Boy Blue should never have been able to defeat Superman, because Superman would notice him coming, and also because Superman is untouchable to someone like Boy Blue if he wants to be.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Agh, oh yeah.

When Superman doesn't want to get hit by something wielded by someone slower than him, it's not going to hit him.

And Boy Blue may be able to travel long distances instantly, but that doesn't mean he's faster than Superman. He still has to swing the sword at Supes, which gives Supes more than enough time to get out of the way.

That's like saying that Nightcrawler could hit Superman if Supes didn't want to get hit by nightcrawler. BAMF! Nightcrawler appears an inch from Superman's head! BOOM! Supes moves behind Kurt at Mach 12 before Kurt even manages to get closer, and then Supes bumps him upside the head, taking him out.

Reaction time is key here. Boy Blue should never have been able to defeat Superman, because Superman would notice him coming, and also because Superman is untouchable to someone like Boy Blue if he wants to be.

He could have teleported mid-swing.

And I don't recall Doomsday approaching super-speedster speeds, or getting a motion blur of his own.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Agh, oh yeah.

He could have teleported mid-swing.

Yes, that's still completely useless, as it will still take time for the blade to reach Superman's head after the teleport is done.

Superman moves thousands upon THOUSANDS of time sfaster than Boy Blue could possibly move. Moving quickly and covering large distances in a short amount of time are two completely different things.

EDIT: It was mentioned several times that Doomsday was as fast as Superman.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    RantRant Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Since when is how boring/exciting someone is a criteria of power in a superhero tournament?

"Superman/Captain Marvel is boring so I'm looking for convulated excuses that they can lose" is not a valid reasoning.

Magneto might have one or two ways of defeating Superman, but Superman has maybe one hundred ways of defeating Magneto. Either way, reasonably, Superman outguns Magneto.

Rant on
    I have neither given nor received unauthorized assistance on this assignment
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Rant wrote:
    Since when is how boring/exciting someone is a criteria of power in a superhero tournament?

"Superman/Captain Marvel is boring so I'm looking for convulated excuses that they can lose" is not a valid reasoning.

Magneto might have one or two ways of defeating Superman, but Superman has maybe one hundred ways of defeating Magneto. Either way, reasonably, Superman outguns Magneto.

Since this isn't real, and done by our opinions.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Wah wah wah.

I missed it .. what should have happened though is Deus Ex Machina abilities should have been thrown out with Deus Ex Machina devices.

Like, Superman's ability to use superspeed whenever he might lose .. or use superspeed whenever the writer runs out of ideas.

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Rant wrote:

Hopefully Son of Beyonder will discount votes where the explanation is Superman and Marvel would be boring. That explanation is complete and utter shit.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    He

he has superspeed and uses it regularly

that is not in any way a Deus Ex Machina

how stupid could you possibly be

I'm sorry

but seriously

tell me.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Wah wah wah.

I missed it .. what should have happened though is Deus Ex Machina abilities should have been thrown out with Deus Ex Machina devices.

Like, Superman's ability to use superspeed whenever he might lose .. or use superspeed whenever the writer runs out of ideas.

Deus Ex Machina abilities?

That is his friggin skill set. Everyone knew it from the start.

But see..thats why I don't like Superman. I mean..a superhero with superhuman abilities that defy logic in a comic book world that also defies logic. Friggin cheap!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Fine

I'll vote for Marvel and Superman

But I won't like it

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Fine

But I won't like it

It's ok Scooter, I don't like it either but it is the only logical conclusion. I wish they hadn't let them in this tournament from the beginning, but they were allowed in, so we have to play with what we got. And what we got is, in this case, two heroes who cannot possibly defeat the other two.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Cap has used his lightning strikes as weapons at least 2 times in canon books. Once against Batman in Superman/Batman public enemys, which knocked Bats the fuck out, and once against Elispo Superman in Superman Second Thunder.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Fine

But I won't like it

You WILL like it..you know why?
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Final Round - This is how it's going to play out..

Note, don't click these if you haven't read Kingdom Come. Also, if you haven't read Kingdom Come, go sit in a corner and think about what you haven't done.

First
    Second
    C
    Second to last
    Disregard the bottom two panels

To those that have read it, forget about what happends after these pages...just..:rotate:

The battle will be so intense the very fabric of this forum may start to tear, causing server wide destruction, and possibly the bannings of thousands and even the intervention of The Spectre (sans -X) Can your eyes take it? Or better yet...can your very own soul handle it?

Forget about the Marveltm. Marvel.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Cap has used his lightning strikes as weapons at least 2 times in canon books. Once against Batman in Superman/Batman public enemys, which knocked Bats the fuck out, and once against Elispo Superman in Superman Second Thunder.

Oh my God, it must've been pretty fucking tough if it managed to knock out a human being with no powers.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    RantRant Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    bAm-BaM wrote:
    Yeah, but Supes's deal with magic is that it treats him like a normal human. He's not weak to it, per se, it just equally dangerous to him as Calendar Man. His invulnerability doesn't mitigate any of it, supersoaked or not.

EDIT: Eh, come to think of it, this means that anybody could take six shots from a Shazam bolt, which I don't think that's the case. I'll have to ponder this.

Technically, Superman has no active protection against magic. That just means it will cut through his bioelectric shield and is capable of injuring him. But, he can take magic attacks much better than normal humans, since he still has his passive protection:
    1. Normal Kryptonian durability
    2. Super-regeneration

Rant on
    I have neither given nor received unauthorized assistance on this assignment
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

Oh my God, it must've been pretty fucking tough if it managed to knock out a human being with no powers.

You know..you're right! Captain Marvel should lose too!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

Yes, ignore the fact that it managed to hurt an Eclipso-posessed Superman.

It hurt Batman, big whoo.

yes of course it hurt Batman because he is a powerless guy who will get hurt by shit that hurts Superman

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Fine

But I won't like it

Bad Karma wrote:

Note, don't click these if you haven't read Kingdom Come. Also, if you haven't read Kingdom Come, go sit in a corner and think about what you haven't done.

First
    Second
    C
    Second to last

To those that have read it, forget about what happends after these pages...just..:rotate:

The battle will be so intense the very fabric of this forum may start to tear, causing server wide destruction, and possibly the bannings of thousands and even the intervention of The Spectre (sans -X) Can your eyes take it? Or better yet...can your very own soul handle it?

So Supes and Marvel would win this round, only to have Marvel take Superman out in the finals in a way he just as easily could this round?

Im not saying that Marvel and Superman should not win this round, they really should. But if Marvel can do it in the final round, why not just do it now and knock Supes out of the match?

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Fine

But I won't like it

Bad Karma wrote:

First
    Second
    C
    Second to last

So Supes and Marvel would win this round, only to have Marvel take Superman out in the finals in a way he just as easily could this round?

Im not saying that Marvel and Superman should not win this round, they really should. But if Marvel can do it in the final round, why not just do it now and knock Supes out of the match?

Because it's not necessary.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Bloods End wrote:

Yes, ignore the fact that it managed to hurt an Eclipso-posessed Superman.

It hurt Batman, big whoo.

yes of course it hurt Batman because he is a powerless guy who will get hurt by shit that hurts Superman

You'd think anything that hurts Superman would vaporize Batman.

Scooter on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

Says who? you? Superman is clearly the biggest threat to him, why not deal with that threat first?

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Says who? you? Superman is clearly the biggest threat to him, why not deal with that threat first?

Because they are pals. They wouldn't fight unless they absolutely had to.

And Captain Marvel can control the intesity of his lightning now.

Also, note that Batman was just close to the lightning strike. He was not actually hit by the lightning.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Fine

But I won't like it

Bad Karma wrote:

First
    Second
    C
    Second to last

But it makes perfect sense, strategically. Eliminate tougher opponents while you can still get the drop on them and then allow Magneto and Bigby to move on, knowing they'll only make the final round easier for you.

But then, neither Superman nor Marvel would do that.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I was just stating how the Marvel using lighting was in continuity and not just in Kingdom Come and JLU.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Magneto and Marvel... Bigby's got no chance when Mags has silver flying around. Not to mention he absorbs electricity and can bend/reflect beams. His electromagnetic shield can withstand the melee combat either of the two powerhouses can deliver. Marvel gets the other nod simply for Kingdom Come if not for my outright hatred of Superman.

Seriously guys, why all the Magneto hate?

Slagmire on