As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Locked [Weeaboo] Thread

PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
This thread is to be about the discussion of anime, sometimes referred to weeaboo. Anime in this discussion refers to animated shows originating in Japan, as well as shows similar in style to that of animation from Japan. In this opening post, I will discuss three possible topics of discussion the following posts will have. There will be talks of anime come and gone, the next season of anime, and of clawshrimpy.

First, the following posts may contain anime come and gone. In a previous thread, there have been posts discussing Macross Frontier. This is a series that has recently concluded. People interested in the show may inquire about the show, as well as the implications of watching other series in the Macross cannon beforehand. There may also be posts discussing anime people are currently watching, or shows they have seen previously.

Second, there may be posts about the upcoming season of anime. The preview list of anime premiering in the winter season was recently released. As seen in
the past, when a preview list is released, people may post speculation as to what they will watch when the season begins. As time progresses and the season begins, people will continue to post about these shows. These posts can be categorized as discussion on shows come and gone.

Lastly, ClawShrimpy. ClawShirmpy is a fan of anime who is very vocal about his opinion. As opinions differ among people, there are many debates sparked and sustained by ClawShrimpy's views. The topics discussed are all anime centric, and because of this, to not stray from the topic of this thread.

Again, this is a thread about anime. I have covered three examples of topics that can be discussed in this thread, such as anime come and gone, upcoming anime, and ClawShrimpy. Note that there may be other topics discussed in here, but realize that they are all related to anime. Anime is a vast and varied subject, and examples of possible posts cannot all be contained within this opening post. In conclusion, I hope we can all post about anime in this thread. Thank you for your time.
If you missed fall or winter, it's there, and here's a possible next year spring lineup.
Zandracon wrote: »
Interesting. I found an image of some more shows showing in Spring.
1226189694939.jpg
Going from left to right, I see (Seems I suck at identifying stuff):

FMA, Slayers, Hetalia Axis Powers, ?, ?, Winter Sonata, ?, ?, Guin Saga(?), Haruhi(!?), Hayate no Gotoku, ?, ?, Tales of, ?, Spice & Wolf, Asura Klein, ? (seems familiar), Basara, ?, Shangri-la(?), ?, Umineko, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space, Black Lagoon, Minami-ke, Hatsuoki Limited, Tenchi Muyo(?).

jCyyTSo.png
PikaPuff on

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey guys, looks like someone hacked TVTropes or something. Huh.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'm afraid to check. I'd like to sleep tonite.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    The site is indeed fucked ATM. Hopefully they have some good admins who can keep this from happening again.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Let me clarify a few points from the discussions happening in the old thread:

My main problem with Fanservice is that it makes me feel uncomfortable as someone who has no interest in sexuality, and distracts me from the plot and the action.but I do realise that towing the line is important. Eye candy is okay if it's passive and isn't distracting.

Also, I don't know how I should put my feelings about confusing plots. I mean, I lked Gundam better when the plot was simpler and easier to understand. like Gundam X was easy for me to understand, as it was a post-apaclyptic setting, and thus didn't really have all the complex politics Gundam series like Wing or Gundamoo have. another example is well, Gurren Laann has a bit of a difficult plot to follow, especially when you get into the later bits of the show, as it gets VERY philisophical very quickly. where, again, GaoGaiGar was simply easier to follow. I didn't "get" Geass because well, I never really got Death note either. and Geass is basically just Death Note where the characters play Knightmare Frame Typing Tutor every once in a while.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well, it just looks like if you like the show, you're able to ignore the fanservice, and if you dislike the show, you see the fanservice as blatant and pushed in your face.

Like how I like Hulk:UD so much I can ignore that it gives me vertigo and makes me want to throw up after two hours of playing.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    In regards to Wing, the problem wasn't so much that it was about politics, rather it was because the writing was so insanely awful. I mean, it was like every minute someone was babbling about justice and peace and ideals and goddamnit, either talk like normal human beings or shut the hell up and get back to making stuff explode!

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    The site is indeed fucked ATM. Hopefully they have some good admins who can keep this from happening again.

they don't

that site has managed to fuck up its content so many times I don't even bother editing it any more, because it would just get restored from month-old backups a week later anyway

e: also I propose a moratorium on clawshrimpy bitching about series he'll never watch

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FCD wrote: »
    In regards to Wing, the problem wasn't so much that it was about politics, rather it was because the writing was so insanely awful. I mean, it was like every minute someone was babbling about justice and peace and ideals and goddamnit, either talk like normal human beings or shut the hell up and get back to making stuff explode!

I also didn't really like how hideously overpowered the Gundams were, either. Not even 00's Gundams pulled the shenanigans the Wing Boys did. A lot of the plot developments felt very half-assed, too. White Fang came out of fucking nowhere.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »

I also didn't really like how hideously overpowered the Gundams were, either. Not even 00's Gundams pulled the shenanigans the Wing Boys did. A lot of the plot developments felt very half-assed, too. White Fang came out of fucking nowhere.
    Ehh, not really, I still think 00's Gundam were pretty damn bad about it. 00 still has
    Gundams with fucking Kaioken, and they made it worse than Zeta did it, earlier in the show.

WIng seems worse just because the WIng enemy factions are probably the most incompetent Gundam villains in history. Yes more incompetent than SEED factions. I never liked Trieze, I hated him ever since his fencing sword v.s. Machete duel with Wufei.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can imagine Elki laughing at us trying to interpret what he means with his rules regarding the OP now...

Am I the only one who thinks what he actually means is, don't make an OP that contains only the picture and "discuss" like all the other previous threads were? And not, no pictures in the OP at all!

Anyway, someone should repost the new schedule somewhere on the first page at least.

Falx on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's pointless and retarded, I'd think. We've always been discussing... animu in this thread as it should be. We don't need our hands held.

That said... Tytania's episode was pretty interesting this week.
    I wish those two didn't die quite yet. :(! They were just introduced!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Falx wrote: »
    I can imagine Elki laughing at us trying to interpret what he means with his rules regarding the OP now...

Am I the only one who thinks what he actually means is, don't make an OP that contains only the picture and "discuss" like all the other previous threads were? And not, no pictures in the OP at all!

Anyway, someone should repost the new schedule somewhere on the first page at least.

September-November 2008 Season.

December-February 2008/9 Season.

Both are over the 500Kb limit so I'm just linking them to be on the safe side.

And more of you better start watching Ippo before it starts damnit.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ....Queen's Blade is being animated?

Heh

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I really wish the SEED guy and his wife stuck to SUper Robot, because Dendoh is quite good. but with SEED Destiny and Linebarrels, where did they go wrong?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fukuda didn't direct Linebarrels. It just has the same character designer.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fukuda didn't direct Linebarrels. It just has the same character designer.
    Oh, I see.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Mei HikariMei Hikari Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will watch the fuck out of Beast Player Erin.

Mei Hikari on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mei Hikari wrote: »
    I will watch the fuck out of Beast Player Erin.

Reading the description had me O_oing, but then I saw it's by the Seirei no Moribito dude, which was pretty rad. :^:

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

My main problem with Fanservice is that it makes me feel uncomfortable as someone who has no interest in sexuality, and distracts me from the plot and the action.but I do realise that towing the line is important. Eye candy is okay if it's passive and isn't distracting.

Also, I don't know how I should put my feelings about confusing plots. I mean, I lked Gundam better when the plot was simpler and easier to understand. like Gundam X was easy for me to understand, as it was a post-apaclyptic setting, and thus didn't really have all the complex politics Gundam series like Wing or Gundamoo have. another example is well, Gurren Laann has a bit of a difficult plot to follow, especially when you get into the later bits of the show, as it gets VERY philisophical very quickly. where, again, GaoGaiGar was simply easier to follow. I didn't "get" Geass because well, I never really got Death note either. and Geass is basically just Death Note where the characters play Knightmare Frame Typing Tutor every once in a while.

So you have roughly the critical-eye of a mole.

Edit: Hrm? Extra Stage 2, eh? I approve of this notion, it has been long enough since last we heard from Mako and Saiyuki, who are awesome "despite" being attractive because they actually do something.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Edit: Hrm? Extra Stage 2, eh? I approve of this notion, it has been long enough since last we heard from Mako and Saiyuki, who are awesome "despite" being attractive because they actually do something.

Apparently it's the two missing Kyosuke races from 4th Stage.

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

Apparently it's the two missing Kyosuke races from 4th Stage.

Based on the preview I just found in the second Google hit, no. Definitely team Impact Blue.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Did Coalguys skip episode 06 of Toradora? Because I have 05 and I can see 07... but nowhere do I see 06. Am I missing something?

Falx on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I was going to try to find where I stopped watching Ippo, but it's been so long I think I'll just start from the beginning.

Besides, if I pace myself just right I'll finish around the time the new season starts up.
    Did Coalguys skip episode 06 of Toradora? Because I have 05 and I can see 07... but nowhere do I see 06. Am I missing something?

No, they skipped it.

Presumably because other groups have already released episode 6.

lol fansub competition

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Slicer wrote: »

I was going to try to find where I stopped watching Ippo, but it's been so long I think I'll just start from the beginning.

Besides, if I pace myself just right I'll finish around the time the new season starts up.

No, they skipped it.

lol fansub competition

...damnit.

So who do you recommend? Paradym? qq? I know Aero are...ok... most of the time.

Falx on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Slicer wrote: »

No, they skipped it.

lol fansub competition

...damnit.

So who do you recommend? Paradym? qq? I know Aero are...ok... most of the time.

Aero is alright but they're more of a speedsub group. Still, aside from a few grammar quirks and errors it's fine most of the time. I think qq is gg so they might be a good choice. Haven't tried the Paradym subs.

Slicer on
  • Options
    LavenlianLavenlian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Indeed.

I'm wondering how many folks are still following this series. My brother dropped it, but I'm still holding on. I blame it on its LoGH genes.

Lavenlian on
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lavenlian wrote: »

Indeed.

I'm wondering how many folks are still following this series. My brother dropped it, but I'm still holding on. I blame it on its LoGH genes.

I'm still following it, also purely on account of it's pedigree.

In LOGH we saw some of the same one episode ground-level examinations of the larger conflict. I too thought they'd draw out that conflict a bit more and not go with sacrificial female so early. I suppose they can't take their time laying out the story over 100+ episodes anymore can they?

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I've been working my way through Ghost in the Shell. (2nd Gig, actually.) I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I ought to watch the movies.

So, I loved the original movie, loved Ghost in the Shell SAC should I watch the other movies? (Innocence, SAC, etc.)

Also, what 'genre' is it in? Or, what shows are similar, and how do I find other shows like it?

duallain on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

updated OP :rotate:

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    duallain wrote: »
    So, I've been working my way through Ghost in the Shell. (2nd Gig, actually.) I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I ought to watch the movies.

So, I loved the original movie, loved Ghost in the Shell SAC should I watch the other movies? (Innocence, SAC, etc.)

Also, what 'genre' is it in? Or, what shows are similar, and how do I find other shows like it?

GitS is sort of a cyberpunk/action/police procedural.

Jin-Roh shares the dystopian future and militaristic action, and has a similar look, but lacks the cyberpunk angle.

Patlabor has the police procedural/pseudo-hard sci-fi thing going, but with mecha instead of cyborgs.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

GitS is sort of a cyberpunk/action/police procedural.

Jin-Roh shares the dystopian future and militaristic action, and has a similar look, but lacks the cyberpunk angle.

Patlabor has the police procedural/pseudo-hard sci-fi thing going, but with mecha instead of cyborgs.

And watch Texhnohylze if you feel like being ultra depressed and seeing tragedy.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I think it's funny that every time there's a flashback to a previous Stage in Initial D everybody is wearing totally different clothes.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

SAC and 2nd GIG are really the best uses of that universe. Innocence and Solid State Society are visually impressive, but suffer from Oshii's own hubris; they get much farther away from the policework aspects of GitS and much farther into philosophical musings on identity and humanity.

Quentin on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

It's really hard to explain. I just, I just can't follow something that really incredibly complex, because it makes me feel like I'm trying to follow Naruto, or Bleach, or Ippo, or another really long/complex series.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It's really hard to explain. I just, I just can't follow something that really incredibly complex, because it makes me feel like I'm trying to follow Naruto, or Bleach, or Ippo, or another really long/complex series.

You think of Naruto, Bleach, and Ippo as complex? Really?

Quentin on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Naruto and Bleach are just long.

They're not particularly complex.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Calling Bleach complex is kind of hilarious. When you have chapters where it basically goes:

"I'll use all my arms to defeat you" - currently at 4 arms
    "You thought I only had 4 arms? I'll use all SIX of my arms"
    "Well I usually only use one of my arms but now I'll use both because using both arms increases my power by a lot"

The series you mentioned are long (with Ippo in particular being very long) but I wouldn't say they're more complex than your average robot show.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Joule wrote: »

Calling Bleach complex is kind of hilarious. When you have chapters where it basically goes:

"I'll use all my arms to defeat you" - currently at 4 arms
    "You thought I only had 4 arms? I'll use all SIX of my arms"
    "Well I usually only use one of my arms but now I'll use both because using both arms increases my power by a lot"

The series you mentioned are long (with Ippo in particular being very long) but I wouldn't say they're more complex than your average robot show.
    No, I mean that shorter mecha series that are hard to follow might as well be as long as those other things, because the complexity makes them seem long.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    LavenlianLavenlian Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Semi-related aside here: What would be the anime equivalent of "Lost"?

Lavenlian on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Lavenlian wrote: »
    Semi-related aside here: What would be the anime equivalent of "Lost"?

Naruto, apparently.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
This discussion has been closed.