As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DnD Multiclass combos that don't work

2»

• DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Kinda reminds me of the greatest Lawful Good rogue of all time...

[spoiler:71bb7e97a3]MacGyver[/spoiler:71bb7e97a3]

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    DeepQantas wrote:
    Paladin/Bard doesn't work since you lose Paladin abilities when you go non-lawful.

Bard/Paladin works since you don't lose Bard abilities when you go lawful.

Wrong. I've even said it was wrong earlier in the thread, on this same page.

See "Devoted Performer" in Complete Adventurer. If you start off as a bard, multiclass to paladin, and then take this feat, you can go back to taking levels of bard, without needing to be chaotic. It also allows you to stack bard and paladin levels for the purposes of bardic music uses per day, and smite evil.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Litejedi wrote:
    DeepQantas wrote:
    Paladin/Bard doesn't work since you lose Paladin abilities when you go non-lawful.

Bard/Paladin works since you don't lose Bard abilities when you go lawful.

Wrong. I've even said it was wrong earlier in the thread, on this same page.

See "Devoted Performer" in Complete Adventurer. If you start off as a bard, multiclass to paladin, and then take this feat, you can go back to taking levels of bard, without needing to be chaotic. It also allows you to stack bard and paladin levels for the purposes of bardic music uses per day, and smite evil.

Devoted Performer only lifts the Bards alignment restrictions, not the Paladins, so it's really only useful for a Bard Paladin, which Qantas already said works. If you go Paladin/Bard, it's not so useful since you'd be chaotic, and wouldn't have your Paladin abilities unless you changed alignment again (which may tax your GM's patience).

Your sugestion helps the combination he proposed, but doesn't help the combination he suggests doesn't work very well. You have a habit of disagreeing with people (often in a confrontational or demeaning manner) without paying attention to what they've said.

laughingfuzzball on
  • DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The important bit to check is the "Ex-Bards" at the end of the class description:
    A bard who becomes lawful in alignment cannot progress in levels as a bard, though he retains all his bard abilities.

Hm. Looking at Devoted Performer you should in fact go for Bard first, then Paladin.

If you go Paladin first you need to be Lawful Good, then go non-lawful to gain a Bard level... Temporarily losing you Paladin abilities. Once you have one Bard level, you need to become LG again and atone to regain your Paladin abilities.

Only then can you take the feat since it requires both Bardic Music and Smite Evil (which you won't have unless you're LG and atoned).

With that said, the feat is pretty damn good. I don't really see a reason for not taking it. Unless maybe you're planning on going for some third class...
    Litejedi wrote:
    Wait a minute. I just now realize we're not even arguing anything.

You just said "Wrong!" for... no apparent reason?

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    That is because I am dumb. It is a good explanation for a lot of things.

Also, I've only misread two things here. The first was the race of a particular character (I stand by the point that I was trying to make) and for some reason I read Quantas as saying that you *can't* do bard/paladin, which was admittedly dumb. I just was irked that someone should bring up the bard/paladin again, after I had already mentioned that it was possible earlier on. As such, I rushed to judgement.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif