As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wizkids Games Officially Dead

jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Critical Failures
(Since this is a tread about, well, a multitude of games, I think it's fine here. If a moderator wishes to move it to SE++, that would also be fine.)

So, Topps has officially killed the Wizkids Games development house. Here is the official announcement:
Announcement

The Topps Company announced today that WizKids will immediately cease operations and discontinue its product lines.

Scott Silverstein, CEO of Topps, said “This was an extremely difficult decision. While the company will still actively pursue gaming initiatives, we feel it is necessary to align our efforts more closely with Topps current sports and entertainment offerings which are being developed within our New York office.”

Upon notifying our partners, Topps will immediately pursue strategic alternatives so that viable brands and properties, including HeroClix, can continue without noticeable disruption. To that end, WizKids will continue supporting Buy it By the Brick redemptions for Arkham Asylum, and the December Organized Play events for HeroClix.

For consumer announcements, please refer to www.wizkidsgames.com over the coming days for further information.

I for one am greatly saddened by this news. While one of my favorite games, MechWarrior, had already been canceled, the cancellation of Pirate of the Spanish Main is extremely disheartening. Granted, no games are officially canceled, but I can see many of them going the way of the dinosaur. Hopefully some other companies will pick up the rights to Wizkids games and continue with more support and product.

Is anyone else saddened by this? Has anyone here lost their favorite game as well? Does anyone have an idea of what will happen next?

I certainly hope something good comes of this, but it just looks so bad. ;(

jgeis on

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Huh.

So what happens to HeroClix?

I thought they were doing well. The last couple sets sold out very fast.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I didn't play anything by them but wanted to start with heroclix maybe, anyway heroclix will probably continue.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Captain MichaCaptain Micha Registered User new member
    edited November 2008
    Maybe this will teach Wotc to stop randomizing their badly painted minis.

Captain Micha on
    http://naegunfael.proboards61.com/index.cgi My settings, rules and gaming.
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wizkids was profitable, but not profitable enough for Topps. Someone will pick their properties up, and I suspect FFG is most likely candidate.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

How do they paint their minis, is it automated or are there bunches of dudes painting luke's lightsaber?

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    jgeis wrote: »
    Upon notifying our partners, Topps will immediately pursue strategic alternatives so that viable brands and properties, including HeroClix, can continue without noticeable disruption. To that end, WizKids will continue supporting Buy it By the Brick redemptions for Arkham Asylum, and the December Organized Play events for HeroClix.

just to at least allay the fears from the heroclix dudes

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2008

One of the problems with non-randomized miniatures is that, in any given set, some miniatures will be more popular than others. The unpopular miniatures will sit on the shelf, stock builds up, and eventually retailers stop ordering any more new minis.

Also, I don't know if you're aware but WotC has changed the way they're doing miniatures following the new Demonweb set. There are going to be "hero packs" with 3 non-randomized character miniatures following a particular theme (martial heroes, arcane heroes, etc.) and "monster packs" which will have 5 minis: 1 visible figure, 1 rare figure, 1 uncommon figure and 2 common figures. They have also claimed that they will be stepping up the paint quality.

DMAC on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apparently, Jake Theis, a former employee of Wizkids, has started a company called Pinata Games for the purpose of acquiring Heroclix and keeping the game going. Hopefully he'll also be able to acquire more than just one game.

jgeis on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have some HeroClix from when they first started that I want to get rid of - any buyers?

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    I have some HeroClix from when they first started that I want to get rid of - any buyers?

I have a box of them collecting dust somewhere as well. I purchased these when the game first came out. I couldnt convince anyone is buying into this money pit hobby, and I never found anyone to play, not even at my local hobby store.

I dont really feel saddened by this news.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I owe the eleven-year-old version of myself a trip to the bookstore for calling that this was going to tank back in 2001 when I first saw people playing MageKnight. :P
    Seriously, though, someone was hyping to to me as "the next Magic" and I immediately identified that this was not going to be the case.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I owe the eleven-year-old version of myself a trip to the bookstore for calling that this was going to tank back in 2001 when I first saw people playing MageKnight. :P
    Seriously, though, someone was hyping to to me as "the next Magic" and I immediately identified that this was not going to be the case.

I don't think an 8 year run, with a dozen expansion packs, really counts as "tanking", especially in the gaming industry.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Orogogus wrote: »

I don't think an 8 year run, with a dozen expansion packs, really counts as "tanking", especially in the gaming industry.

Really? I was always under the impression that it was at death's door. Crazy.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It would sell out it's run on a release within a week of release day.

(at least from the warehouses...)

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stupid 1.5" bases though made them incompatible with 1" grid maps. That's the main reason why I have never bought any Clix stuff beyond a little bit of MechWarrior.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    and the mechwarrior figures were too big for 3" hex grids.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    But not too big to stand in for a gargantuan golem! :P

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23