As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A weird privacy problem (or, I'm neurotic)

wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm semi-living with my girlfriend, and it's mostly great. We're a happy couple, I love being with her, and life is pretty good, save for one increasingly problematic thing: I'm a freelancer, and for some reason, I can't concentrate on my work at ALL when she's around.

I think some background is probably called for. I moved out on my 18th birthday, and I've lived alone ever since. For around five years I've had complete and total privacy, and combined with the fact that my work frequently involves some pretty hardcore non-disclosure agreements, I've gotten in the habit of being very, very reclusive when it comes to work. At one point I even leased an office for a while because I wasn't comfortable with my files and equipment sitting around my house when I had friends over.

When I moved in, my girlfriend helped me set up a very private little corner for my home office. The desk faces against the rest of the room, so my monitor and work surface are completely private, and my girlfriend has been extremely respectful about not messing with my things or snooping while I work -- she even asks if it's okay for her to come around to my side to bring me coffee or get a hug. In spite of this, though, I still just can't get comfortable working when she's in the apartment, and I've resorted to working while she's at class or in bed (which cuts into my productivity HORRIBLY, and is starting to cause a bit of tension with my clients because I'm not always available during my normal 10 to 6 hours).

The odd thing is that this is the only privacy issue I have. I have no problems strutting around in my underwear, taking phone calls while she's around, letting her use my stuff, or anything like that. It's only this one issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on how I could overcome this particular eccentricity?

wasted pixels on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Get a couple of privacy screens for your corner, and make it into an enclosed area while you're working.

Yes, you're being neurotic and unreasonable, but everyone is neurotic and unreasonable about something, and this should be a pretty easy fix for this one. Just make it clear to your girlfriend that it's not her, it's you (which I'm sure she'll understand).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Get a couple of privacy screens for your corner, and make it into an enclosed area while you're working.

Yes, you're being neurotic and unreasonable, but everyone is neurotic and unreasonable about something, and this should be a pretty easy fix for this one. Just make it clear to your girlfriend that it's not her, it's you (which I'm sure she'll understand).
    Either that or find a space where you can have a room dedicated entirely to being your own office (like rent a new apartment or having your parents donate a room where you can "go" to work or whatever it takes).

I don't really think you're being weird at all, but if it's something that's a priority, well then make it a priority. Sounds like you just need an enclosed, private space, and like Than said, it shouldn't be hard to achieve. As long as it's only work-related, I can't imagine a reasonable girlfriend having any kind of difficulty respecting the request.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe it's time you guys start looking for a bigger apartment where you could have your own room for an office.

oldsak on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At one point I even leased an office for a while because I wasn't comfortable with my files and equipment sitting around my house when I had friends over.

Why not lease an office for a while again, if you aren't comfortable with finding a new place? And just go to that office from 10 until 6?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You girlfriend sounds very respectful and understanding about your privacy. What is it specifically about her being in the apartment, despite not snooping or trying to look at your things, that bothers you?

Thylacine on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thylacine wrote: »
    You girlfriend sounds very respectful and understanding about your privacy. What is it specifically about her being in the apartment, despite not snooping or trying to look at your things, that bothers you?

I believe he is saying it's an irrational eccentricity, and he knows this, he just needs ways to fix it so he can work. I don't think analyzing why he's being irrational will be very productive, since you can't really apply reason to rationality.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I meant more is it because she's just in house in general, or if it's because she's in the same room. He said he can work while she sleeps.

If it's only that you can't work with her in the same room, that if you can't get an apartment with an extra room, you should move your work space into the bedroom. Then you can be alone in there and she can have the rest of the apartment and not disturb you. Most of your work is from 10-6 as you said, and she shouldn't be in there sleeping.

Thylacine on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think part of it is that you don't have an actual "workspace".

I can relate to an extent.. you may have your own area, but it's not it's own room. so you are still psychologically in the same room with your GF.

Really, you should jsut look to make your space one with a door, that way you can open and close it as you see fit, and she has to knock/ask permission to actually enter.. not just come near.

You can also look to get sound dampening materials to help deaden any sounds if they are distracting as well.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wouldn't call this an eccentricity. That could just be because I'm the same way, though.

This doesn't seem like a privacy issue to me – at least, it's not really comparable to walking around in your underwear. You're working. It's absolutely not unreasonable to want to work in private, and honestly I think it would be a lot healthier for you if you separated your work from your home life.

Solution? As has been mentioned, your best options are to rent an office again (did you stop due to the cost, or other reasons?) or move into a new place with a dedicated study. Personally, I do very little freelance work at home, simply because going somewhere else (such as a library) helps me get into the mindframe that I am working. I realise this won't be an option for you due to NDAs (and whatever equipment you need), but an environment dedicated to work, and work alone, really is the best way to solve this.

Baron Dirigible on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What you could do is instead of renting office space, which i assume is expensive and excessive if your entire office fits into a corner, is instead rent a tiny bachelor apartment (im talking like, 250sq feet or something) and set up your office in there. It should be a lot cheaper than office space, you will be able to actually work all alone, and as an added bonus, youll probably have your own kitchenette and bathroom right there too.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're fine with keeping this eccentricity (which you can be; it's not at all a horrible thing), do what everyone else is saying and get a dedicated office.

If you want to work on changing it, you could try desensitizing yourself to her presence. Does your current apartment have a door you could shut while you're working? Try shutting the door, turning some music on in your room, and have her read quietly in another room so she's in the apartment but not intruding on your senses in any way. If you can get comfortable enough to work with that, try turning the music off, keeping the door shut and working with her doing something silently. Then try with her doing things normally but keeping the door shut, or opening the door with her being quiet, until you're comfortable with those. Turning music on might help, too. Anyway, see if you can work up to having the door open and her going about her business (not being extra-loud, just normal).

The second plan has the bonus of being doable with your current apartment and not costing you any money. Again, it's probably no big deal if you'd rather just skip it and have your own office, but if you feel like trying to get over it, you'll get some added flexibility and save money.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the input, it's very comforting to hear that I'm not completely crazy.

I'd love to have an office again, but my girlfriend lives in a much nicer region than I do. I was paying $250/mo for a storefront/office with about 400 square feet of space back home, and even a basic little office with half the space and no storefront would cost around $700/mo here (plus utilities and broadband). $10,000 a year is just too much for me to justify for something like that. :(

Dividers might be worth a try, so that's something I'll look into. She also suggested tonight after seeing the thread that we could move my office into the bedroom (instead of the living room, which is where she spends 90% of her free time).

Trowizilla, that's exactly the sort of input I'm looking for -- being able to work while she's around would absolutely be the ideal here. It'll be fun explaining to her tomorrow that I need her to quietly read a book for a few hours so that I can ignore her... for science! :D

Again, thanks, everyone.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the input, it's very comforting to hear that I'm not completely crazy.

I'd love to have an office again, but my girlfriend lives in a much nicer region than I do. I was paying $250/mo for a storefront/office with about 400 square feet of space back home, and even a basic little office with half the space and no storefront would cost around $700/mo here (plus utilities and broadband). $10,000 a year is just too much for me to justify for something like that. :(

Dividers might be worth a try, so that's something I'll look into. She also suggested tonight after seeing the thread that we could move my office into the bedroom (instead of the living room, which is where she spends 90% of her free time).

Trowizilla, that's exactly the sort of input I'm looking for -- being able to work while she's around would absolutely be the ideal here. It'll be fun explaining to her tomorrow that I need her to quietly read a book for a few hours so that I can ignore her... for science! :D

Again, thanks, everyone.

Can you listen to music with headphones while working?

To be honest, I'm the same, and that's worked for me, without needing my wife to be quiet.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A basic rule for working at home is that you need a real workspace so that you can "go to work" and focus. It doesn't sound like you really have that. You should really try to find a place where you can at least close the door and have some boundaries. I think most people would have a hard time getting anything done if their girlfriend was hanging around in the same room as them all day.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    A basic rule for working at home is that you need a real workspace so that you can "go to work" and focus. It doesn't sound like you really have that. You should really try to find a place where you can at least close the door and have some boundaries. I think most people would have a hard time getting anything done if their girlfriend was hanging around in the same room as them all day.

QFT... i've recently started working from home, and not having a separate "office" is killing my productivity... my GF and I are looking for a 2BR apartment come January just to provide that needed space

i'd suggest the same for the OP... just find an apartment with a 2nd bedroom (or office with a door), and lock yourself in there when you're working

illig on