As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Under the radar comics

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
A thread for under the radar comics and there discussion.

Has anyone heard or read Trigger?

I remember it from a few years ago. It looked neat, but I forgot about it until I thought abut it randomly a few moments ago.

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't know how 'under the radar' they are, but I really enjoyed the first issues of 'Pirates of Coney Island', and 'Monster Cops.'

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You know what sounds neat?

Zombies v.s. Robots.

If I'm supposed to buy Marvel Zombies just because it has zombies in it, then I MUST buy this.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've been meaning to pick up Pirates of Coney Island. I'll finish collecting Blue Monday first, I guess?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I liked the first issue of John Woo's 7 Brothers. Anita Blake #1 was really good, though I don't know if it counts.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Johnny FabulousJohnny Fabulous burgin' Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I like Phonogram a lot.
    http://www.phonogramcomic.com/blog/

Johnny Fabulous on
    We tried nothin' and we're all outta ideas.
    xbl gamertag: sublunary
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Oh yeah, you guys should check out Criminal as well. Issue 2 came out today. :^:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Age of Bronze is really good if you like art history or the Illiad.

Plus the art's gorgeous.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Thrud the Barbarian!!

Guess you could describe it as 'quirky', it's really rather funny, though I'm a bit confused about whats happening with the title. There have been, as far as I know, 4 issues made since 2002 in no set intervals, which are all written, drawn and coloured by Carl Critchlow, I actually heard he drove around the UK to distribute copies to comic shops himself. All four issues have now been re-released under some US indie distributor, and I think a fifth is on the way.

Azrael on
  • Options
    PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Less Than Heroes by David Yurkovich. I don't know how 'under the radar' this is, but I picked it up on a whim at a convention with my last 7 euros.

It's a nice take on the superhero genre. More like how 'heroes' would act if they were, you know, real people. The art has it's ups and downs, but generally has a nice style to it.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The Winter Men. Does this still count after Ellis tells people to buy it? Still, I never see anyone bringing it up on the internets and that makes me sad panda. It's terribly good and beautifully Russian in all the right ways. I don't know how Brett Lewis understands the naturalistic dialog and tropes of russian fiction so well, but he does. If it ends in anything short of heart-rending tragedy in the snow, I will be shocked.

Add in the sexiest fucking Spetsnaz olympic class assassin and Mongolian butt-fucking and I'm in.

The Cow on
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    gredavin on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    i really like warren ellis' fell, and thieves and kings

inthegray on
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    inthegray,

I forgot to add Fell to my list, but I wasn't certain it was 'under the radar'. I checked out thieves and kings, just a sample chapter. The female lead is drawn badly. In some shots, the corner of her mouth touches the jawline and in others the way the face is drawn should make it so that she is looking in a different direction, but its actually as in a straight on shot.

I didn't read much more than a few pages before it became too distracting.

gredavin on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I basically tell my shop to add any comic that Oni Press puts out, ever since the days that Jamie Rich held sway as a merciless editor. While some of their releases, like the crime noir stuff, isn't usually my cup of tea, its always excellent, and opens me up to new things. Plus, some of their one-shot tpbs are really nice and cheap for what you're getting.

Some of their stuff I've loved over the years: Blue Monday, Barry Ween, Skinwalker, Queen and Country, Courtney Crumrin, Scooter Girl, Scott Pilgrim, etc etc.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!