As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dial Q for the Question! (about Comics Thread)

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Metabarons was the weird Sci-Fi I was thinking of. Also, what titles should I be subscribing to? I prefer to trade-watch in general, but I'm talking stuff like Scalped and Secret Six (both on my list) that are AWESOME and could use the help to avoid cancellation.

No one has a comic they want to push? Fine with me I guess.

Fear Agent is really good. I was going to link to the Fear Agent page on Dark horse's website, but I am getting 404'd! What in the hell?

DouglasDanger on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You really don't want to read SW2. I'm doing you a favor, believe me.

That's what most people tell me. I'm still getting an omnibus next year just so I can complete my comic geekdom(I mean that as a term of endearment btw) so I might get the Ennis MK Punisher one. I thought there was an Ultimates omnibus coming out in March but it's mysteriously disappeared from Marvel's and even Amazon's list.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Metabarons was the weird Sci-Fi I was thinking of. Also, what titles should I be subscribing to? I prefer to trade-watch in general, but I'm talking stuff like Scalped and Secret Six (both on my list) that are AWESOME and could use the help to avoid cancellation.

I assume you read CRIMINAL, right?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    wirehead26 wrote: »

That's what most people tell me. I'm still getting an omnibus next year just so I can complete my comic geekdom(I mean that as a term of endearment btw) so I might get the Ennis MK Punisher one. I thought there was an Ultimates omnibus coming out in March but it's mysteriously disappeared from Marvel's and even Amazon's list.

Do you have the STARMAN omnibus?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008

Do you have the STARMAN omnibus?

My comic shop owner's been bugging me about getting that but I hear the spine cuts into the pages some which I hate.

wirehead26 on
    edited December 2008
    You've at least read STARMAN before, right? The idea that someone would willingly purchase a SECRET WARS 2 Omnibus over a STARMAN Omnibus....I don't know. That's just fucked up.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Secret Wars 2 is the one where Beyonder comes to Earth and then dresses like an idiot, right?

Robos A Go Go on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I assume you read CRIMINAL, right?

Been trade-waiting it and reading it and wahtnot. Does it need the support? What's the current arc?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
    edited December 2008
    You've at least read STARMAN before, right? The idea that someone would willingly purchase a SECRET WARS 2 Omnibus over a STARMAN Omnibus....I don't know. That's just fucked up.

Oh I have no doubt that Starman is written much better than SW 2 but I'm more a Marvel guy. If my comic shop hadn't had an "all back issues $1" sale I would be picking up the Daredevil omnibus no question but I got Bendis's entire DD run over time for half the price. But don't worry, I still have till April to come to my senses and get the MK Punisher one instead.

wirehead26 on
    edited December 2008
    CRIMINAL can always use support - moreso in the monthly format, but trades are good as well. The 4 part "Bad Night" arc just wrapped up, and Bru/Phillips are doing INCOGNITO for 4 (or maybe 5) issues, then going back to CRIMINAL for the next Tracy Lawless story.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008

Oh I have no doubt that Starman is written much better than SW 2 but I'm more a Marvel guy. If my comic shop hadn't had an "all back issues $1" sale I would be picking up the Daredevil omnibus no question but I got Bendis's entire DD run over time for half the price. But don't worry, I still have till April to come to my senses and get the MK Punisher one instead.

Do you have the FF Omnibus? The Claremont/Byrne UNCANNY X-MEN Omnibus? Hell, the original SECRET WARS Omnibus?

Let me put it this way. Take the worst comic you've ever read - doesn't matter what it was, just the worst thing you've ever read. SW2 will make that comic look like WATCHMEN by comparison. It's really that bad.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008

Do you have the FF Omnibus? The Claremont/Byrne UNCANNY X-MEN Omnibus? Hell, the original SECRET WARS Omnibus?

Let me put it this way. Take the worst comic you've ever read - doesn't matter what it was, just the worst thing you've ever read. SW2 will make that comic look like WATCHMEN by comparison. It's really that bad.

So Bendis was in the right to retcon it out of existence in Illuminati #3 huh? OK, you convinced me, I won't get it. As for those other omnibuses you mentioned I find it kinda hard to read comics from the Silver or even Bronze age due to the writing style but I do realize most of the series put in this form are from those eras. Like I said, I'll probably stick to MK Punisher.

wirehead26 on
    edited December 2008
    Iron Fist is soo good. Have you read that?

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2008

Got all the Fraction/Bru issues in singles.

wirehead26 on
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Have been trade-ing it up, subscribed tonight though.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008

Have been trade-ing it up, subscribed tonight though.

where did you subscribe? I heard you cannot subscribe to IIF directly from Marvel.

DouglasDanger on
    edited December 2008
    HeavyInk at Mask's recommendation. Seems good so far!

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    CRIMINAL can always use support - moreso in the monthly format, but trades are good as well. The 4 part "Bad Night" arc just wrapped up, and Bru/Phillips are doing INCOGNITO for 4 (or maybe 5) issues, then going back to CRIMINAL for the next Tracy Lawless story.

Five.

And I have to say, the idea of a mob enforcer who is in fact a 20-year D-boy gone AWOL is just silly scary awesome.

Crimsondude on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So how was that Joker one-shot? Good?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    HeavyInk at Mask's recommendation. Seems good so far!

HeavyInk is good so far for me. I get my shit from them faster than from Marvel Direct.

I'd recommend The Lone Ranger to anyone who likes westerns. I heard that Zorro is good too, but I haven't gotten around to it.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • nindustrialnindustrial Word Typer Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So all this mailorder business: when do you get the comics generally compared to new comics day at a shop?

nindustrial on
    chstreamsig.jpg
    edited December 2008
    I'm curious also cuz my first subscriptions ship soonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Yay.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    OK so I've decided that the omnibus I'm getting will be the MK Punisher one. However, I might as well ask anyone here who's read the whole series if it's really worth the $67(after discount) price. You get the entire Welcome Back Frank story, PKTMU, some kind of one-shot, and the entire MK Punisher series, minus issues 8-12 that weren't written by Ennis.

wirehead26 on
    edited December 2008
    I preferred the MAX version - the Ennis versions of Spider-Man, Daredevil, and Wolverine didn't really work for me. I definitely wouldn't pay $67 for those stories.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008
    Wolverine in particular was embarrassing to the point that he had to have been a parody by Ennis.

I really was wondering if that new Joker one shot was good or not. :(

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Joker one-shot's pretty good.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited December 2008
    Dammit people, you're not making this an easy decision are you? Eh, I'll still get it, if only because I'll be waiting for Remenders Punisher series in trade and the omnibus will fill the void quite nicely. I'm just worried that Marvel will solicit another omnibus I want later.

wirehead26 on
    edited December 2008
    Is there an Omnibus of the Ennis MAX issues? That would be worth the money.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited December 2008

Sadly there isn't one yet but I'm just worried Marvel will solicit one right after I buy the MK one. I do have the "Slavers" arc in tpb and it's one of the best Punisher stories I ever read but I don't think all 60 issues will fit into one book anyway.

wirehead26 on
    edited December 2008

I'll need more incentive than that. Is it Alan Moore/Bruce Timm good, or just a copy-paste of the movie plus extra levels of gore and swearing?

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    This probably gets asked semi-regularly.

I hate the Hulk, but love Bruce Banner. For this reason, I am a huge fan of the 70s Hulk TV show and The Incredible Hulk film. It also means I have no real interest in Planet Hulk, WWH, or anything that's happened with the character and his immediate relatives since.

What's a good run/story/arc for someone like me to hop on? Would there be any particularly good self-contained Banner/Hulk story that I wouldn't need a ton of understanding about the the character to grasp?

HadjiQuest on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I'll need more incentive than that. Is it Alan Moore/Bruce Timm good, or just a copy-paste of the movie plus extra levels of gore and swearing?

It doesn't feel like a Batman-universe story at all. And the portrayal of Joker just upset me really. It was a frustrating read because of the tone of it; I really couldn't decide if I liked it or not, so I reread it multiple times. At the end, I decided I really deplore it. Azzarello's Joker just feels way too human, and he loses all of the qualities that I think make the Joker so much fun. It made me retroactively skeptical of the Ledger Joker. They really aren't even that similar beyond aesthetic, but on a spectrum they're closest to each other. The first issue of cacophony was really a pleasant experience just because it's so nice to have a Joker that's at the opposite pole of Azzarello's.

The Ledger/Nolan Joker is so great because he's extremely mysterious, and he's above human flaws. He cares about power, but once he's obtained it he doesn't care about continuing to run rackets or keep goons around to protect himself. Azzarello's Joker is just a manic-depressive crime boss, who is totally human, and has no real mystery around him. He gets out of Arkham and then tries to re-establish territorial and racket control.

Terrible qualities of the Joker in the book:
    -Addicted to pills
    -Addicted to alcohol
    -Rapes the protagonist's ex-wife at one point

I don't know if it's going to be done in softcover at some point, or if DC does digital releases. If not, you're better off reading it second hand or borrowing it from someone. I know some people really enjoyed it, but it just didn't feel like Joker at all to me.

HadjiQuest on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So all this mailorder business: when do you get the comics generally compared to new comics day at a shop?

I've been receiving my order about 7 or 8 days after the release date. If you go to the shop every week it's probably annoying, but I'd reduced my trips to the shop to once or twice a month, so I'm actually getting my comics more often now than I did the last few months.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited December 2008
    OK so I've decided that the omnibus I'm getting will be the MK Punisher one. However, I might as well ask anyone here who's read the whole series if it's really worth the $67(after discount) price. You get the entire Welcome Back Frank story, PKTMU, some kind of one-shot, and the entire MK Punisher series, minus issues 8-12 that weren't written by Ennis.

I actually just read the MK Punisher series recently and enjoyed it a lot. If you like him interacting with the street level heroes, you'll have fun with it.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
    edited December 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I hate the Hulk, but love Bruce Banner. For this reason, I am a huge fan of the 70s Hulk TV show and The Incredible Hulk film. It also means I have no real interest in Planet Hulk, WWH, or anything that's happened with the character and his immediate relatives since.

What's a good run/story/arc for someone like me to hop on? Would there be any particularly good self-contained Banner/Hulk story that I wouldn't need a ton of understanding about the the character to grasp?

Everyone else will probably shout me down, but you might like Bruce Jone's run on Hulk. It's more Bruce on the run than Hulk stuff (although Hulk appears and whatnot). He was also in a decent Iron Man story a few years ago. Anyone have the info for that?

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008

They're coming out in a series of oversize (not like Absolute size, but bigger than normal) hardcovers, 12 issues to a book. I've got the first three and they're pretty swank, especially for only like 30 bucks a pop.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited December 2008

You might want to look into INCREDIBLE HULK #371-377 (or 371-400) for some quality Banner/Hulk stories by Peter David (at least, I'd consider that chunk of Peter David's run on the book to be his best work on the character, and most of it is drawn by Dale Keown).

HULK:THE END is a nice one-shot by David that explores the Banner/Hulk dynamic in an interesting way.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008

It's a great read and there are better Batman stories out there than those two have produced so you've got a lot to read if that's your set standard.

It has nothing to do with the movie and was written like two years before the movie came out. It could theoretically work in the movies, but that's just because it's a way more grounded story

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2008
    The first issue of cacophony was really a pleasant experience just because it's so nice to have a Joker that's at the opposite pole of Azzarello's.
    -Addicted to pills
    -Addicted to alcohol
    -Rapes the protagonist's ex-wife at one point

The first issue of Cocophony was shit. And I can't see how you can complain about
    Joker's Joker raping the ex-wife, but then like Cocophony where he both offers his ass to Deadshot and says he wants to shoot Batman and then rape the wounds.

Garlic Bread on
    edited December 2008
    Cacophony was typical Kevin Smith nonsense. He should stick with creating and demolishing his own characters, instead of jamming poor characterization into company properties.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.