As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROUND THREE: FIGHT C: PRE-FIGHT DEBATE

• TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    He's smart enough that he'd know something wasn't kosher.

...Isn't she dead?

I honestly can't remember. That whole death and resurrection thing was a total clusterfuck.

Terrorbyte on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Like everyone else I'm voting Thor ... then I get stuck on deciding on Hulk or MM. If these guys watch the videos and see MM for the asskicker he is I can see him going down, though it will take at least two if not all three of the other fighters ganging up on him, which isn't unlikely since Namor,Thor and Hulk are all known to one another and I think have all been Avengers at one point or another. Plus why wouldn't you side with people you know and have fought side by side with before against someone as scary as MM?

Thor and Hulk advance.

Caveman Paws on
  • Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Like everyone else I'm voting Thor ... then I get stuck on deciding on Hulk or MM. If these guys watch the videos and see MM for the asskicker he is I can see him going down, though it will take at least two if not all three of the other fighters ganging up on him, which isn't unlikely since Namor,Thor and Hulk are all known to one another and I think have all been Avengers at one point or another. Plus why wouldn't you side with people you know and have fought side by side with before against someone as scary as MM?

Thor and Hulk advance.
    Is Hulk going to team up with anyone who he thinks shot him into space? I'm not reading Planet Hulk, how does he feel about this? Also, can any of them hurt an intangible Manhunter?

Adaemus1sf on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    Is Hulk going to team up with anyone who he thinks shot him into space? I'm not reading Planet Hulk, how does he feel about this?

Well, Thor wasn't around at the time, so...

If the battle was with, say, Mr. Fantastic or Iron Man, then I'd say "no way, Hulk would bust their asses first thing". But Thor? He might just accept the offer of help.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think Jo'nn loses here on the grounds the others would all be gunning for him. He's incredibly powerful, and the other three don't know him to nearly the extent they know each other. A three-on-one team-up strikes me as fairly likely.

From there, it's just a matter of who does what. Thor or the Hulk could crush Namor, or the Hulk and Namor could team up (old Defender's ties) to take on the most powerful opponent left, Thor. Namor is proud, but he's also smart enough to know to use others to defeat stronger opponents. A Thor/Namor team-up is also possible, but I think Namor would be more concerned about taking out the god than the Hulk.

End result, I'm guessing the three team to take out MM. After that, I'm guessing a free-for-all that takes out Namor (the only concievable way he could advance is a team-up, and I hate putting him through based solely on that).

First place Thor, second place Hulk.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If MM sees all the other 3 coming for him he'd probably just go intangible and invisible. None of them could touch him then.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    If MM sees all the other 3 coming for him he'd probably just go intangible and invisible. None of them could touch him then.

Hmmm. That's such an uber-cop-out I'd like to see it ruled as technically leaving the arena. We've got other competitors who can do one or the other, but not both at the same time. People with infra-red vision can still see Sue, and other heroes can still track Kitty by sight, but a guy who is, to all intents and purposes, undetectable? Bleh. Can Thor somehow track him?

Bogart on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm still of the opinion that this is too late in the fight for teamups. Winners should be able to make it on their own merits.

Scooter on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    I'm still of the opinion that this is too late in the fight for teamups. Winners should be able to make it on their own merits.

Still, I think we need to make allowances for the character's past relationships. If, for example, Sue and Reed Richards had ended up in the same match, it would have been ridiculous not to expect them to work together. I'd be against team-ups between characters with no prior history, but some level of co-operation is going to happen simply because people know each other.

This came up in the last match with Captain Marvel and Superman, but it was largely rendered irrelevent by the fact they completely outmatched their two opponents.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm going to go with the Manhunter and Hulk/Thor...

I'm sorry, in my mind, MM CANNOT take the Hulk 1 on 1. Sure, the Hulk can't hurt him, but, MM dosen't really have the tools to knock Banner out either. Well, he does, sort of, it's just that the Hulk will just get back up and be even more pissed...

Namor's fucked, like everyone said...

So, in the end, it will be Thor and Hulk wailing on each other, until the end of time. Thor does have enough power to incapacitate the Hulk early in the fight, however, he's rarley ever done it, if ever, so, that fight can go either way....

Also, looking further down the road, I'm going to put my money on MM taking the entire tourney. Pretty much everyone left has little/no resistance to telepathy, so theres nothing stopping him from just going intangible an recking everyones shit...

Transporter on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hulk is no match for J'onn. J'onn could hurt Hulk in many, many ways. He could certainly incapacitate him for a long time.

Spectre-x on
    edited November 2006

I'm sorry, in my mind, MM CANNOT take the Hulk 1 on 1. Sure, the Hulk can't hurt him, but, MM dosen't really have the tools to knock Banner out either. Well, he does, sort of, it's just that the Hulk will just get back up and be even more pissed...

So, in the end, it will be Thor and Hulk wailing on each other, until the end of time. Thor does have enough power to incapacitate the Hulk early in the fight, however, he's rarley ever done it, if ever, so, that fight can go either way....

Also, looking further down the road, I'm going to put my money on MM taking the entire tourney. Pretty much everyone left has little/no resistance to telepathy, so theres nothing stopping him from just going intangible an recking everyones shit...
    Manhunter is as strong as Thor, and much more capable of taking Hulk out. Hulk has been taken out of a fight by hitting him hard right away before he gets too strong, and Manhunter can easily do that. Or he could chuck Hulk out of the ring. Hulk doesn't have the versatility to compete at this level.

Adaemus1sf on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it's really weird that an actual god's strength is rivaled by any mortals. These gods are pussies.

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    I think it's really weird that an actual god's strength is rivaled by any mortals. These gods are pussies.
    As Superman pointed out in JLA/Avengers, in the DC universe, the dial goes to 11.

Adaemus1sf on
    edited November 2006
    It makes sense for Marvel, being empowered by gods and that. But yea, Superman doesn't really make any sense at all.

Somehow Kryptonians managed to evolve all these incredible, god-like abilities...that never even appear on their home planet. Stuff like his ten kinds of supervision, his eye has to be significantly different to be able to see what Superman sees, but it was completely useless until one guy gets shot off-planet after billions of years of evolution.

And as advanced as Kryptonians supposedly were, they either never discovered that a certain wavelength of light gives them superpowers, or for some reason they decided to ignore it. And who the fuck would do that? Even if it was simply a desire to be humble or something, shining a yellow light on them would be a cure for every medical problem they ever had.

Scooter on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    It makes sense for Marvel, being empowered by gods and that. But yea, Superman doesn't really make any sense at all.

Somehow Kryptonians managed to evolve all these incredible, god-like abilities...that never even appear on their home planet. Stuff like his ten kinds of supervision, his eye has to be significantly different to be able to see what Superman sees, but it was completely useless until one guy gets shot off-planet after billions of years of evolution.

And as advanced as Kryptonians supposedly were, they either never discovered that a certain wavelength of light gives them superpowers, or for some reason they decided to ignore it. And who the fuck would do that? Even if it was simply a desire to be humble or something, shining a yellow light on them would be a cure for every medical problem they ever had.

I thought it was the special kind of radiation, and you can't really generate enough of it without fucking up your planet bad, if it doesn't occur naturally.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:

The way a few comics have explained it, Krypton was such a hellish planet originally that Kryptonians had to develop those sort of mechanisms just to work properly. Super-resistant cells and some kind of gravity controlling organ just to keep from being instantly crushed, incredibly versitile eyes and ears just to be able to see and hear properly, absorbing sunlight to supplement all the energy they'd need to run these, etc.

When they get somewhere pleasant like Earth, everything they needed just to stay alive suddenly makes them omnipotent, and their strength only gets greater over time because (for some reason) their cells absorb yellow sunlight better than red. This explains the sunlight-medicine thing a little (it would still be scaled to the conditions of their planet, so it would take years to have a significant effect on strength).

Of course, since it's been retconned that Clark's powers didn't manifest until later than life, this explanation doesn't make perfect sense either. I guess nothing ever will.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • bAm-BaMbAm-BaM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Superman's heat vision is about the only thing that's going to take out Jonn at this point.

::sheds a tear for Ghost Rider::

I'm going with Big T and MM. And I'm still semi-baffled about how TATICS made it this far.

bAm-BaM on
    marvelcrotchsig.jpg
    edited November 2006
    Heat vision isn't fire, though. He'd still have to light something on fire and wave it around like, "Boogity, boogity, boo!"

Meanwhile, Batman had the foresight to stash some kryptonite, but MM didn't? What's the deal with that?

robosagogo on
    edited November 2006
    Manhunter would probably bring Kryptonite, but he doesn't even need to, since he can use his telepathy to convince Superman he has some.

Adaemus1sf on
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think this round is going to be Thor and MM. They both have the strength, speed and variety of powers to carry them on to the next round.

Marathon on
  • bAm-BaMbAm-BaM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Heat vision isn't fire, though. He'd still have to light something on fire and wave it around like, "Boogity, boogity, boo!"

Meanwhile, Batman had the foresight to stash some kryptonite, but MM didn't? What's the deal with that?
    Supes uses it effectively against Manhunter in Twilight.

Although I'm usually opposed to using unreleased Elseworlds stories as cannon, it's Alan Goddamn Moore.

bAm-BaM on
    marvelcrotchsig.jpg
    edited November 2006
    bAm-BaM wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Supes uses it effectively against Manhunter in Twilight.

Although I'm usually opposed to using unreleased Elseworlds stories as cannon, it's Alan Goddamn Moore.
    His heat vision works effectively against White Martians, so it should work okay against J'onn.

Adaemus1sf on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hm. I think Gladiator Hulk is outclassed by Thor and Manhunter. Who would take third-- Hulk or Namor? If Namor could fly faster-- I think he tops out at 100 mph or something-- he could give a better showing.

DouglasDanger on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Gladiator Hulk is crafty. He knows that he gets stronger when he's mad. He has access to stuff from back home and 20 mins to get pissed. All he needs is an empty room, and pictures of Nick Fury to win this entire tournament.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    All he needs is an empty room, and pictures of Nick Fury to win this entire tournament.

fap fap fap fap fap fap fap

Terrorbyte on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Gladiator Hulk is crafty. He knows that he gets stronger when he's mad. He has access to stuff from back home and 20 mins to get pissed. All he needs is an empty room, and pictures of Mr. Fantastic giving a blowjob to Iron Man while he's making out with three thousand clones of Betty with WAY bigger boobs to win this entire tournament.

I'm so sorry....

Transporter on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hm. I think Gladiator Hulk is outclassed by Thor and Manhunter. Who would take third-- Hulk or Namor? If Namor could fly faster-- I think he tops out at 100 mph or something-- he could give a better showing.

Namor can break the sound barrier pretty easily.

Spectre-x on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Superman has to remember he has fucking heat vision first.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I keep seeing people say that Thor and MM can beat the Hulk, but not how. Hulk isn't completely immune to psychic attack, but is MM so immensely capable in that sense that it'd work on Hulk?

He won't beat the Hulk with strength, and I would assume that the Hulk's incredibly physiology would keep him from getting hurt, at least seriously, by MM phasing a hand inside him.

So we're left with him being knocked out of the ring? Is Gladiator Hulk not crafty enough to keep himself aware of Thor or MM trying to punch and/or fly him out of the ring?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:
    I keep seeing people say that Thor and MM can beat the Hulk, but not how. Hulk isn't completely immune to psychic attack, but is MM so immensely capable in that sense that it'd work on Hulk?

He won't beat the Hulk with strength, and I would assume that the Hulk's incredibly physiology would keep him from getting hurt, at least seriously, by MM phasing a hand inside him.

So we're left with him being knocked out of the ring? Is Gladiator Hulk not crafty enough to keep himself aware of Thor or MM trying to punch and/or fly him out of the ring?

His weakness is that once he's in the air (from jumping, being knocked, or carried), he's screwed.

Scooter on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I dont' know about the level of intelligence of Gladiator Hulk, but if he's smart enough, he wouldn't be jumping if he was on the edge of the arena and/or an opponent was near enough to knock him out. If Thor or MM tried to punch/knock him out of the ring, he should be aware of that, and do his best to grab the attacker and hold on instead of trying to get in a return punch.

I mean, there would be ways to fight, that would put him at a minimal risk of being knocked out.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:

It's my understanding that MM would crush Hulks mind like a tiny little grape.

Not that I'm pleased with that, but what can you do...

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited November 2006
    Another thing to keep in mind is that Gladiator Hulk just broke out of arena fighting. He's probably got no patience for it and might just walk away.

Scooter on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I wanna go with MM and Namor. Or Hulk and Namor. Definently Namor, though.

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2006
    Septus wrote:
    I dont' know about the level of intelligence of Gladiator Hulk, but if he's smart enough, he wouldn't be jumping if he was on the edge of the arena and/or an opponent was near enough to knock him out. If Thor or MM tried to punch/knock him out of the ring, he should be aware of that, and do his best to grab the attacker and hold on instead of trying to get in a return punch.

I mean, there would be ways to fight, that would put him at a minimal risk of being knocked out.
    Thor doesn't need to knock him out of the ring, he can teleport him away.

Adaemus1sf on
    edited November 2006
    It's not like Thor can fire teleportation daggers like Blink, though.

Doesn't he have to spin his hammer and keep it spinning to open a portal? Hulk isn't stupid enough to jump into one of those.

robosagogo on
  • laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Namor is a loss. IDC what he does in one comic if in another he gets beat by thugs.

Thor and Hulk would go to a standstill.

If thor uses lightning in the Giant forest, alpine mountains, baxter building or possible monster island ... there will be fire. That is why I think MM loses .. purely due to terrain .... everything is so evenly matched that it has to come down to that.

1 & 2 Hulk/Thor
    3 MM
    4 Namor

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Namor is a loss. IDC what he does in one comic if in another he gets beat by thugs.

Thor and Hulk would go to a standstill.

If thor uses lightning in the Giant forest, alpine mountains, baxter building or possible monster island ... there will be fire. That is why I think MM loses .. purely due to terrain .... everything is so evenly matched that it has to come down to that.

1 & 2 Hulk/Thor
    3 MM
    4 Namor

awesome reasoning

delphinus on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    oh good here goes the fire talk.

J'onn has been on fire hitting Flash with a tree.

Just because there is the possibility for fire anywhere, it's not like J'onn has been on earth this long without figuring out how to avoid fire.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!