As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROUND THREE: FIGHT C: PRE-FIGHT DEBATE

124»

Posts

  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    I am all chipper and stuff.

    It's just that saying Shade loses because he gets a shield in the face is dumb.

    I don't nearly take this whole thing as seriously as you all think, and if I offend you all from time to time, I'm truly deeply sorry for that.

    But come on.

    That is just a retarded thing to say about Shade.

    Come ooooon.

    You are just very spirited and defend your picks tooth and nail. It's just that your picks tend to piss some people off. Not because they're bad, but because, for the most part, you're right. Some people just get ticked by the over-poweredness of some of these heroes. Honestly, how DC made it this far with 50 different versions of Superman is simply beyond me.

    It's not a matter of people getting pissed because he always picks the right outcome. For most of these fights there is no "right" outcome. It is all very subjective to whoever is voting.

    What pisses people off is that Spectre is often completely unwilling to listen to any point of view other than his own, and the way he generally insults anyone that comes up with a scenario other than his.

    He does have the right idea a good amount of the time, but there is room for other opinions in these fights other than one written in stone outcome.

    Marathon on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    You guys know Namor isn't Aquaman, right? That he's spent his entire life fighting outside of water? That he spent his early days fighting a robot made of fire in mid-air? THAT HE CAN FLY?

    He doesn't need water. He'd lose all the time if he did, because most people aren't stupid or water-breathing enough to fight Namor in the water.

    Does it matter? From what I remember of his entry in the old marvel "encyclopedia" he's roughly as strong as Collossus(80 tons? though I can't remember how it tied that to his being in water or not), probably no more invulnerable than the old Rogue, and he can fly. He's totally outclassed.

    Of course, I was surprised he made it out of the last round as well.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Kshah777Kshah777 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Since Hulk can now apparently punch intangible things like Martian Manhunter (see the voting thread) , I am so looking foward to Hulk punching Kitty Pryde right in the fucking mouth.

    Kshah777 on
    "He ate a moose and he ate a whale, he even ate a mountain... of shrimp..."
    ~"The Ballad of Morgan Brown"
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The longer MM stays intangible the angrier Hulk gets. At some point MM is either going to have to call it quits or face Hulk. At this point Hulk will be insane.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    The longer MM stays intangible the angrier Hulk gets. At some point MM is either going to have to call it quits or face Hulk. At this point Hulk will be insane.

    Or MM could just stay intangible and fuck up Hulk's mind. Yeah sure it will take time, but since he can stay intangible it doesn't really matter.

    NinjaSquirrel on
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    The longer MM stays intangible the angrier Hulk gets. At some point MM is either going to have to call it quits or face Hulk. At this point Hulk will be insane.

    Or MM could just stay intangible and fuck up Hulk's mind. Yeah sure it will take time, but since he can stay intangible it doesn't really matter.
    In my scenerio, when MM tries that it backfires because he can't handle being in the dual mind of banner/hulk.

    ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    The longer MM stays intangible the angrier Hulk gets. At some point MM is either going to have to call it quits or face Hulk. At this point Hulk will be insane.

    Or MM could just stay intangible and fuck up Hulk's mind. Yeah sure it will take time, but since he can stay intangible it doesn't really matter.

    Does J'onn get feedback from whomever he links minds with? I remember seeing an episode of Justice League where he does *sorry I haven't read much of him in comics I promise to read a graphic novel or two just in case we do this again.*

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Marathon wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    I am all chipper and stuff.

    It's just that saying Shade loses because he gets a shield in the face is dumb.

    I don't nearly take this whole thing as seriously as you all think, and if I offend you all from time to time, I'm truly deeply sorry for that.

    But come on.

    That is just a retarded thing to say about Shade.

    Come ooooon.

    You are just very spirited and defend your picks tooth and nail. It's just that your picks tend to piss some people off. Not because they're bad, but because, for the most part, you're right. Some people just get ticked by the over-poweredness of some of these heroes. Honestly, how DC made it this far with 50 different versions of Superman is simply beyond me.

    It's not a matter of people getting pissed because he always picks the right outcome. For most of these fights there is no "right" outcome. It is all very subjective to whoever is voting.

    What pisses people off is that Spectre is often completely unwilling to listen to any point of view other than his own, and the way he generally insults anyone that comes up with a scenario other than his.

    He does have the right idea a good amount of the time, but there is room for other opinions in these fights other than one written in stone outcome.

    There's that too. But honestly, how do you argue with a guy that can turn into any substance or thing, become invisible, become intangible, has psychic powers, can fly, has super-strength, and moves at super-fast speeds, wins? I mean... come on! And DC has like, four people in this tournament that fit EDIT: a lot of that description...

    And for the record, I'm still following the tournament, just not voting anymore. Not out of protest, just because it's painful to have to put my favs in last place, just because of stupid logic.

    Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    Marathon wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    I am all chipper and stuff.

    It's just that saying Shade loses because he gets a shield in the face is dumb.

    I don't nearly take this whole thing as seriously as you all think, and if I offend you all from time to time, I'm truly deeply sorry for that.

    But come on.

    That is just a retarded thing to say about Shade.

    Come ooooon.

    You are just very spirited and defend your picks tooth and nail. It's just that your picks tend to piss some people off. Not because they're bad, but because, for the most part, you're right. Some people just get ticked by the over-poweredness of some of these heroes. Honestly, how DC made it this far with 50 different versions of Superman is simply beyond me.

    It's not a matter of people getting pissed because he always picks the right outcome. For most of these fights there is no "right" outcome. It is all very subjective to whoever is voting.

    What pisses people off is that Spectre is often completely unwilling to listen to any point of view other than his own, and the way he generally insults anyone that comes up with a scenario other than his.

    He does have the right idea a good amount of the time, but there is room for other opinions in these fights other than one written in stone outcome.

    There's that too. But honestly, how do you argue with a guy that can turn into any substance or thing, become invisible, become intangible, has psychic powers, can fly, has super-strength, and moves at super-fast speeds, wins? I mean... come on! And DC has like, four people in this tournament that fit that description...

    And for the record, I'm still following the tournament, just not voting anymore. Not out of protest, just because it's painful to have to put my favs in last place, just because of stupid logic.
    To be fair, only one can do all those things. The base powers are super speed, strength and invulnerability, the 4 branch out from there.

    NinjaSquirrel on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    The longer MM stays intangible the angrier Hulk gets. At some point MM is either going to have to call it quits or face Hulk. At this point Hulk will be insane.

    Or MM could just stay intangible and fuck up Hulk's mind. Yeah sure it will take time, but since he can stay intangible it doesn't really matter.

    Does J'onn get feedback from whomever he links minds with? I remember seeing an episode of Justice League where he does *sorry I haven't read much of him in comics I promise to read a graphic novel or two just in case we do this again.*

    As much as I love Justice League, do not use the cartoon as a reference for people's powers. The feedback I think you're talking about is from season 5 where he tries to read Giganta's mind, and Grodd had made Luthor mess with all the villians' minds so they would shut down if they were read or even during interrogation.

    On the cartoon, powers are shown to be a lot less of what they actually are, and some powers are left out entirely (see Martian Vision) so don't use examples from it in the debate, unless maybe it's a strategy idea.
    ZeroCow wrote:
    Malkor wrote:
    The longer MM stays intangible the angrier Hulk gets. At some point MM is either going to have to call it quits or face Hulk. At this point Hulk will be insane.

    Or MM could just stay intangible and fuck up Hulk's mind. Yeah sure it will take time, but since he can stay intangible it doesn't really matter.
    In my scenerio, when MM tries that it backfires because he can't handle being in the dual mind of banner/hulk.

    Except I'm pretty sure someone mentioned earlier that this version of Hulk doesn't have the Banner personality, and even if it did, J'onn is an incredibly powerful telepath, and would be able to handle it.

    Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

    He has been on fire several times with the weakness in full effect. Once in Tower of Babel

    you decided that using tower of babel was a good idea?

    in tower of babel, he was on fire and RUNNING IN TERROR. he was effectively out of his fucking mind when ww and flash found him. you're going to use the fact that he swung a tree at flash while panicking as proof that his fire immunity isn't a big deal?

    Angry on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Angry wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

    He has been on fire several times with the weakness in full effect. Once in Tower of Babel

    you decided that using tower of babel was a good idea?

    in tower of babel, he was on fire and RUNNING IN TERROR. he was effectively out of his fucking mind when ww and flash found him. you're going to use the fact that he swung a tree at flash while panicking as proof that his fire immunity isn't a big deal?

    It shows that he has been on fire and okay afterwards.

    And that was with magnesium bonded to his skin.

    How long do you think regular fire is going to bond to his skin?

    All of three fifths of a second, maybe?

    Spectre-x on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The fire thing shouldn't even matter because no one in the fight knows about it.

    Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    he's as strong as the strongest, as fast as the fastest, the strongest telepath, and no one can hit him.

    oh, that single weakness of his? ignore it.

    that's what you guys are petitioning.

    i don't care about this tournament anymore, but MM's powerset is RETARDED.

    Angry on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    God dammit people. Honestly there's not much people in this round can do to MM. Yes, I know you love Hulk, I do too and can't wait till he gets back from space, and yes I know he's the strongest there is. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE CANNOT FUCKING TOUCH THE OPPONNENTS. MM can phase and Thor and Namor know about his super jumps and will make sure to just, ya know I realize this is a hard concept, fly 3 yards to the left when they see Hulk coming. Hulk simply cannot do ANYTHING to ANYONE in this round unless they are god damn stupid enough to try to fight him toe to toe on the ground.

    NinjaSquirrel on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Angry wrote:
    he's as strong as the strongest, as fast as the fastest, the strongest telepath, and no one can hit him.

    oh, that single weakness of his? ignore it.

    that's what you guys are petitioning.

    i don't care about this tournament anymore, but MM's powerset is RETARDED.

    We're saying ignore it because, if you would READ THE FUCKING RULES, you would see that unless it is PUBLIC knowledge that the person has a weakness the other people in the tournament won't know it and won't get it from videos. MM's weakness to fire is LESS known than Superman and kryptonite and that isn't public knowledge.

    NinjaSquirrel on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yes, ignore it because no one knows about it. Hardly anyone in the DCU even knows about it, how the fuck are those three gonna find out about it?

    Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    maybe you missed the point of my post.

    read that last sentence again.

    Angry on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    And it's not even that crippling a weakness, anyway.

    And Thor is not going summon a thunderstorm in a bigass forest, because the lightning will HIT ALL THE TREES making the attack USELESS

    and if Thor directs the lightning, it WILL NOT HIT THE TREES AND NOT START A FIRE

    And the forest probably isn't nearly dry enough for it to be set on fire by a simple lightning storm, either

    god

    Spectre-x on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Angry wrote:
    maybe you missed the point of my post.

    read that last sentence again.

    Well I'm sorry J'onn isn't for you.

    Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Angry wrote:
    maybe you missed the point of my post.

    read that last sentence again.

    We don't care about your last sentence

    Spectre-x on
  • NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Angry wrote:
    maybe you missed the point of my post.

    read that last sentence again.

    Yes, I agree that he is crazy powerful. That is WHY he SHOULD get voted through though. It's stupid to vote against someone because they're TOO good. If you didn't want them in the tournament you guys should have not allowed them from the beginning.

    NinjaSquirrel on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Namor has 80 years of experience fighting and doesn't NEED water.

    That's like saying Jonn is useless because he's far away from Mars.

    robosagogo on
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Angry wrote:
    he's as strong as the strongest, as fast as the fastest, the strongest telepath, and no one can hit him.

    oh, that single weakness of his? ignore it.

    that's what you guys are petitioning.

    i don't care about this tournament anymore, but MM's powerset is RETARDED.

    Hmm? MM is as strong as this Hulk? I thought baseline hulk, even with unlimited strength because he's the gladiator version, was essentially as strong, if not stronger than anyone else.(sans cosmic beings at least)

    Man, fuck the people who thought him up.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Namor has 80 years of experience fighting and doesn't NEED water.

    That's like saying Jonn is useless because he's far away from Mars.

    J'onn has like ten times that experience.

    He lived long enough to see the ruins of the martian civilization crumble into the ground until only dust remained

    and before that he was a live, too, for a really, really long time

    and he has fought angels, demons, giant space monsters, little space monsters, the Justice League, Imperiex, pretty much every fucking thin g you could possibly imagine and then some.

    J'onn is pretty much as old, if not older than THOR.

    And Thor is also older and more experienced than Namor.

    Spectre-x on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    AND J'ONN CAN FLY BETTER THAN THOR

    who doesn't even fly, he just gets pulled by his hammer which he throws

    not exactly the pinnacle of aerial maneuverability

    Spectre-x on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:
    Namor has 80 years of experience fighting and doesn't NEED water.

    That's like saying Jonn is useless because he's far away from Mars.

    J'onn has like ten times that experience.

    He lived long enough to see the ruins of the martian civilization crumble into the ground until only dust remained

    and before that he was a live, too, for a really, really long time

    and he has fought angels, demons, giant space monsters, little space monsters, the Justice League, Imperiex, pretty much every fucking thin g you could possibly imagine and then some.

    J'onn is pretty much as old, if not older than THOR.

    And Thor is also older and more experienced than Namor.

    I'm not saying the other people couldn't beat him. I'm just saying people are selling Namor short, forgetting that he fought the very first superhumans, fought in WW II, has led numerous invasions against the surface world, and has beaten Thor and the Hulk just as hard as the two have beaten him.

    robosagogo on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    who doesn't even fly, he just gets pulled by his hammer which he throws

    Wait...what?

    Royse on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Royse wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    who doesn't even fly, he just gets pulled by his hammer which he throws

    Wait...what?

    Thor doesn't actually fly.

    He throws his hammer really hard and holds on to its strap. The immense momentum it gained from his mighty strength pulls him along with it.

    Thor cannot actually fly, and his aerial agility is vastly inferior to Namor's or MM's.

    It's Thor 101.

    Spectre-x on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I knew it was like that at one time, but I thought it was changed or whatever. I thought the enchantments on Mjolnir gave him the ablility to fly.

    Maybe I'm getting it confused with Ultimate Thor?

    Royse on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Royse wrote:
    I knew it was like that at one time, but I thought it was changed or whatever. I thought the enchantments on Mjolnir gave him the ablility to fly.

    Maybe I'm getting it confused with Ultimate Thor?
    Thor also uses Mjolnir as a means of transportation by hurling the hammer and gripping the thong on the shaft, being pulled along by the force created. Once airborne, Thor can change direction, speed, and altitude.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mjolnir_%28comics%29

    robosagogo on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Once airborne, Thor can change direction, speed, and altitude.

    So...if he can change direction, speed, and altitude, wouldn't that mean he can fly just as well as MM?

    Royse on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Royse wrote:
    Once airborne, Thor can change direction, speed, and altitude.

    So...if he can change direction, speed, and altitude, wouldn't that mean he can fly just as well as MM?

    No.

    That's like saying that a rocket-powered stick gives you equal mobility in the air as someone who can fly naturally by negating his personal gravity and such, and precisely monitor his speed and acceleration, and who can turn on a dime.

    Spectre-x on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Royse wrote:
    Once airborne, Thor can change direction, speed, and altitude.

    So...if he can change direction, speed, and altitude, wouldn't that mean he can fly just as well as MM?

    No.

    That's like saying that a rocket-powered stick gives you equal mobility in the air as someone who can fly naturally by negating his personal gravity and such, and precisely monitor his speed and acceleration, and who can turn on a dime.

    Eh, maybe Thor doesn't have as much control over his flight as MM...or maybe he does. I've really seen nothing to suggest he doesn't.

    It was just than when you said that he just gets pulled by his hammer, it struck me as "his flight path/speed is controlled by the momentum of Mjolnir", which I thought was way wrong.

    It conjured up an image in my mind of a guy throwing a bowling ball with his hand still in it, and then skidding along the ground.

    Royse on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Royse wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Royse wrote:
    Once airborne, Thor can change direction, speed, and altitude.

    So...if he can change direction, speed, and altitude, wouldn't that mean he can fly just as well as MM?

    No.

    That's like saying that a rocket-powered stick gives you equal mobility in the air as someone who can fly naturally by negating his personal gravity and such, and precisely monitor his speed and acceleration, and who can turn on a dime.

    Eh, maybe Thor doesn't have as much control over his flight as MM...or maybe he does. I've really seen nothing to suggest he doesn't.

    It was just than when you said that he just gets pulled by his hammer, it struck me as "his flight path/speed is controlled by the momentum of Mjolnir", which I thought was way wrong.

    It conjured up an image in my mind of a guy throwing a bowling ball with his hand still in it, and then skidding along the ground.

    Where's the image of Captain American Standing face to face with Thanos that's in your sig from?

    Mai-Kero on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    J'onn could also, and would likely, read Hulk's mind and shape-shift into one of Hulk's friends, and then proceed to team up with Hulk.

    Spectre-x on
  • RoyseRoyse Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Where's the image of Captain American Standing face to face with Thanos that's in your sig from?

    It's from Infinity Gauntlet #4.

    Royse on
Sign In or Register to comment.