As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROUND THREE: FIGHT D: PRE-FIGHT DEBATE

• Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bogart wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Charmy wrote:
    Kshah777 wrote:
    Isn't there a rule that competitors must be in their normal power states upon entering the battle? I believe someone discussed this strategy before about Rogue and it was shot down.

Yeah, was discussed just in the last batch of matches too. Combatants enter the field in their normal state.

Huh. The way I understood that rule was that they began the round reset to normal state, which would include prep-time. I can't find any specifics relating to it, though.

Also, Professor Xavier wasn't allowed in the tournament. How can Rogue touch someone who, for these purposes, isn't here?

Because he doesn't have to be in the tournament? The rules only state that the advisor needs to be someone the contestant has ties to, so Xavier qualifies.

Also with Xavier specifically, I'm gonna go with if he wasn't allowed to be in the tournament because his powers are too...powerful, then someone who took his powers won't be allowed in for the same reason.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just curious, but, aren't Shade's powers connected to him in some way?

As in, his powers are pretty much an extension of himself?

If you're trying to get at a "Rogue beats Shade by absorbing his powers through his darkness", forget it. Rogue doesn't drain Invisible Woman's powers when touching her forcefields, right? Or Magneto's magnetic fields? Jean Grey's telekinetic stuff? Someone's hair?

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

If you're trying to get at a "Rogue beats Shade by absorbing his powers through his darkness", forget it. Rogue doesn't drain Invisible Woman's powers when touching her forcefields, right? Or Magneto's magnetic fields? Jean Grey's telekinetic stuff? Someone's hair?

Well, this is where a complete and utter lack of knowledge of Shade is important.

Is Shade made of darkness? And does it flow out of him? If so, then he's just a dark version of Mr. Fantastic or Morph like that, and touching the darkness would be the same as touching him.

Scooter on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    Kshah777 wrote:
    Isn't there a rule that competitors must be in their normal power states upon entering the battle? I believe someone discussed this strategy before about Rogue and it was shot down.

Yeah, was discussed just in the last batch of matches too. Combatants enter the field in their normal state.

Huh. The way I understood that rule was that they began the round reset to normal state, which would include prep-time. I can't find any specifics relating to it, though.

What was decided was that people entered the field in their normal state.

Okie dok then. I'm fine with that. I was just a bit confused as to what had been previously established.
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Also, Professor Xavier wasn't allowed in the tournament. How can Rogue touch someone who, for these purposes, isn't here?

In regards to Prof X, I specifically said that Rogue shouldn't get the powers of insta-wins who weren't allowed into the tournament. Of course, that's largely moot now, since we've just established that she can't come into the round packing any powers but her standard set.

A Wonder Woman/Shade win, then.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Cap has this one in the bag. Because the perfect counter to every possible eventuality is "shield to the face!"

Rouge absorbs his - *Shield to the face!*
    Wonder Woman Uses her super st- *Shield to the face!*
    Shade does - *Shield to the face!*

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

Well, this is where a complete and utter lack of knowledge of Shade is important.

Is Shade made of darkness? And does it flow out of him? If so, then he's just a dark version of Mr. Fantastic or Morph like that, and touching the darkness would be the same as touching him.
    No, Shade is a normal immortal guy. He can make and control darkness.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

The Shade is not actually made of darkness, I think. And it's a moot point anyway. Rogue can't drain darkness.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    -SPI- wrote:
    Cap has this one in the bag. Because the perfect counter to every possible eventuality is "shield to the face!"

Rouge absorbs his - *Shield to the face!*
    Wonder Woman Uses her super st- *Shield to the face!*
    Shade does - *Shield to the face!*

Nice.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

The Shade is not actually made of darkness, I think. And it's a moot point anyway. Rogue can't drain darkness.

She could if the darkness was a living thing/person.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

I highly doubt it. That's like saying that she could drain Shadowcat when she's phased.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

I highly doubt it. That's like saying that she could drain Shadowcate when she's phased.
    No it isn't.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    To clarify, no, Rogue can't touch things that aren't solid. But I'm of the impression that the darkness controlled by guys like Shade is solid.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    To clarify, no, Rogue can't touch things that aren't solid. But I'm of the impression that the darkness controlled by guys like Shade is solid.

It's only solid when he wants it to be.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    bAm-BaMbAm-BaM Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Bogart wrote:
    Kshah777 wrote:

Damn. WW to advance, then.

Is the final round gong to consist of a bunch of DC heroes and arguments about which of their undetectable/unbeatable/unstoppable/undescribable powers beats all the other undetectable/unbeatable/unstoppable/undescribable powers?
    Yes.

I don't understand everyone's problem with this. If the reverse happened, it would be a popularity contest, and Wolverine would beat Lobo behind a bar counter.

Although the "Shield to the Face" arguement is convincing...

bAm-BaM on
    marvelcrotchsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    bAm-BaM wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    Kshah777 wrote:

Damn. WW to advance, then.

Is the final round gong to consist of a bunch of DC heroes and arguments about which of their undetectable/unbeatable/unstoppable/undescribable powers beats all the other undetectable/unbeatable/unstoppable/undescribable powers?
    Yes.

I don't understand everyone's problem with this. If the reverse happened, it would be a popularity contest, and Wolverine would beat Lobo behind a bar counter.

Because people that would have had a shot like Mimic get outvoted because some people don't understand just how awesome they can be (and also because voting was broken in the early rounds).

It's just like, fun creative powers can't win over pure brawn. Because of arguments like this: "Naah Rogue's powers won't work against these people because they are more awesome than her." Instead of people listening to arguments like this: "With Rogue's powers, she can become every bit as awesome as these guys."

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Rogue's powers work on Shade and Wonder Woman.

But she just doesn't have the chance to make them work on them.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Or stuff like Professor X not being allowed in because he is too powerful then Spectre-X saying that Martian Manhunter is on par or better with his mind powers than Professor X.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Or stuff like Professor X not being allowed in because he is too powerful then Spectre-X saying that Martian Manhunter is on par or better with his mind powers than Professor X.

I basically take anything Spectre-X says in this tourney as total exaggeration when dealing with his personal pick for a winner and the reverse when he is talking about who he thinks should lose.

Marathon on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    bAm-BaM wrote:
    All must yield!
    sheild.jpg

sheild2.jpg

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I am leaning towards Wonder Woman, followed by Shade. Third and fourth are a little harder to guess at.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

Okay, I'm pretty sure Wonderwoman dosen't kill people on the first hit, especially a human. And, I'm also sure that she goes in fists-a-flying, and if that dosen't work, adapt. The only problem is, she won't have a chance to adapt if she's dead/comatose/unconcious after the first punch to Rogue's face.

Shade, different story. More then likley, he can take out Rogue. Question is, how does he deal with Light-based/light emitting powers? If hes anything like Cloak, then yeah, shes pretty much fucked...

Transporter on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

Okay, I'm pretty sure Wonderwoman dosen't kill people on the first hit, especially a human. And, I'm also sure that she goes in fists-a-flying, and if that dosen't work, adapt. The only problem is, she won't have a chance to adapt if she's dead/comatose/unconcious after the first punch to Rogue's face.
    Wonder Woman's gonna come in fists-a-flying, clock Rogue once hard enough to knock her out- cause it'll only take WW one shot- and move on, slightly weakened by the draining that occurred in the incredibly brief time her skin was actually in contact with Rogues. Or she'll just watch a video of Rogue, see that she shouldn't touch her, and incapacitate her with her lasso or by throwing her tiara at Rogue.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Shade has this in the bag.

FierceDeity666 on
  • Options
    MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think it's WW and Shade.

While I agree that Rogue could steal powers from them, they have too many ways to deal with her from a distance.

But I really wanna restate, next time we do this, I want there to be weight classes. It sucks for folks like Cappy or Goon to lose...I mean, no duh Cap won't win against Superman. I mean, from day one we know most of the contestants would lose. The fight would be much more clever if they were on a more even keel. Tell me a battle between Hellboy, Batman, Cappy, and Goon wouldn't be sweet to write for! But a fight between Martian Manhunter and Namor is silly...namor is awesome, but MM is 10 times that.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    WW and Shade.

I say this as a Cap fan, but his time is done. For everyone who called me a fucking fanboy, please note how I voted last match for Bigby and how I'm about to vote for Cap. :P

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    ww
    shade
    cap
    rogue

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You guys realize that WW can punch rogue without skin to skin contact? I'm pretty sure rogue isn't going in this thing naked. A strong punch to the gut will take her out just as much as a strong punch to the head.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    When is the last time she punched someone in the gut?

Heroes always go for the face.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Doesn't matter. She can still hit someone in the stomach, or crotch, or teets...whatever.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited November 2006

Well, assuming WW watches Rogue's videos she will see that people who come in skin contact with her are pretty much fucked, would assume she would then be smart enough to punch in the gut.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    You guys do know that it takes extended skin contact with Rogue for her to fuck up ANYONE for ANY length of time, right?

A quick punch to the jaw would only drain a tiny, tiny amount of one's power, and only for a time equal to the time of contact.
    Fight D
    1.Rogue- all she has to do is touch -anyone- else in this fight and her chances of winning skyrocket.
    2.Wonder Woman- If she's brave enough to engage in mortal combat wearing -that- outfit you know she's badass.
    3.Shade- He controls the darkness! Sadly I don't know exactly what that means other than he can make everything really dark.
    4.Captain America- peak human physical blah blah blah, tactics yadda yadda, shield that acts like a frickin boomerang... fuck that.

And everything

everything in that post is compeltely wrong

The comics say so themselves

that is why I get so spirited most of the time

because certain strategies you people put forwards have been proven compeltely retarded and implausible several times in the comics so god damned often you could publish a god damned fifty-two-piece encyclopedia full of the reasons god damnit

DID YOU EVEN READ THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE CONTESTANTS, CAVEMAN, OR DID YOU JUST MAKE UP WHATEVER POWERS YOU THOUGHT THE CONTESTANTS SHOULD HAVE?

BECAUSE IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE DOING THAT HERE

AND ALSO ALWAYS

EVERYWHERE

SHADE CREATES TANGIBLE DARKNESS THAT CAN FUCK ANYONE BUT PRETTY MUCH DARKSEID UP

HE DOES NOT EXTRACT LIGHT

HE NEGATES IT AND MAKES THIS NEGATION SOLID AND HE USES IT TO BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF PEOPLE AND THINGS AND WHY DO YOU NOT READ THE OPENING POSTS FOR GOD'S SAKE YOU ARE DRIVING ME TO DESPAIR

Okay, it's okay

I'm sorry

it's just

this

argh

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So what you're saying is you have not been reading X-Men recently?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    So what you are saying is that this is pretty much the only time she has been able to do that?

And yeah, absorbing a minute faction of Wonder Woman's vast, VAST VAST strength and power would really help her when she gets knocked the fuck out with the first punch.

AND HOW DOES SHADE BEING CAP'S FIRST TARGET EQUAL A LOSS FOR HIM?

THERE IS NOTHING CAP CAN DO TO HIM

JESUS

I'm really sorry, people, but the votes are just

it's like there's a black hole in the voting thread and it's sucking up people's reason

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just think of Shade as having a black Green Lantern ring that isn't limited by his will, the power to conceal himself completely and teleport, and immortality/exceptional resilience.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    And light won't help

because light creates shadow

so you'd be feeding his powers

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    CircularCircular Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have the impression that the problem here is that there are basically two groups of people voting: People who know who Shade is, and people who don't. The people who do are able to say "Shade can do 1, 2, and 3, which has led to situations A, B, and C, which are analogous to what he's up against here. Ergo, Shade wins." The remainder don't know Shade, so they can't come up with situations X, Y, and Z, where Shade lost, and argue from there. By contrast, with someone like Superman--also very powerful, but very well known--it's possible to have both sides. Debates about Superman thus seem like reasoned affairs where both sides get to have their say, whereas debates about Shade are polarizing and frustrating because they come off as "Shade wins and there's nothing to be done about it."

If Shade is just a tough and mobile Green Lantern, then that's probably enough to get him out of this round, but it's not enough that there are no possible alternative arguments.

Circular on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    You fuckers are turning Captain America into the new Batman in terms of retarded arguments.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Flagarangs

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    I think a Cap vs. Batman thread would tear these forums apart

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    I think a Cap vs. Batman thread would tear these forums apart

If I may..
    Bad_Karma wrote:
    The battle will be so intense the very fabric of this forum may start to tear, causing server wide destruction, and possibly the bannings of thousands and even the intervention of The Spectre (sans -X) Can your eyes take it? Or better yet...can your very own soul handle it?

Yeah, it works for those two as well.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster