Options

Button exchange website, can't remember...

• Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ugh, 6 months to make $50 and come up with a button design? Unpossible i declare!!!

Azazel on
  • Options
    Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If only work computers had paint, I could do a crude mock-up right now! Cookies will be forthcoming to Jonxp and Liger upon my arrival in the US of A :) If there are any more ideas I might have to splash out and buy a whole box of biscuity goodness.

Frightfully English on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My idea hinges on the buttons being slightly bigger than everyone else's. :D

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    My idea hinges on the buttons being slightly bigger than everyone else's. :D

You're not using a penis as a design, are you?

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    hur hur

Willeth on
  • Options
    crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    im a pax noob here, can someone explain the button exchange bit?

do you just pretty much hand out buttons throughout the expo when you recognize someone?

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator Mod Emeritus
    edited January 2009
    You exchange buttons with other people who have buttons, hence the term "button exchange".

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

do you just pretty much hand out buttons throughout the expo when you recognize someone?

Read the spoiler marked "Original OP" from here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=66176

Some extra stuff we learned after doing it this first year:
    Despite the other 58,000 people there, find fellow buttoneers during PAX itself was remarkably common. Especially in the line room and near the BYOC area (We should just turn that spot in front of BYOC into the forumer lounge), but I ran in to people EVERYWHERE. Even in the hotel elevators.

50 is NOT enough.

Big buttons end up being very good at getting snagged, falling off, and lost. They also take up a lot of precious display space.

The 1" buttons are really hard to attach to thick material like canvas messenger bags.

For whatever reason (maybe extra screening or something due to the metal?) the buttons had a very WIDE delivery time. Some people got theirs a few days after PB mailed them, for others it took a month or more.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    International (even Canada) orders took the longest, some people didn't get theirs at all (lost in customs probably).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    TherosTheros Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Turnaround and delivery to Canada regularly took up to 60 days for pretty much everyone here, all because they got stuck in customs processing for ages.

Theros on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The first few canadians didn't take quite so long, but I think customs got suspicious at the large number of buttons crossing the boarder.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    I ran in to people EVERYWHERE. Even in the hotel elevators.

Haha, I came back from the dinner with that Dragon Age fake tattoo thing still on my arm. I get in the lift and there's another guy in there. I hit my button and he waits a few seconds, and asks, "So... big fan?"

I second the forumer lounge idea. Not even have any signs, just designate it on the forums so we all know, but to anyone else it's just another 'sit down and chill' area and they don't get excluded. Also works as a great meeting point.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    We could utilize one of the corners of the handheld lounge. There's plenty of Sumos to sit on there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    We could utilize one of the corners of the handheld lounge. There's plenty of Sumos to sit on there.

We could hang out in the lobby of the Sherat...oh no wait, that won't work. :lol:

redhalo on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can we not make the button PAX sign a secret this time? Like have a giant sign saying "turn in buttons here." My stupid ass walked by Red Halo's desk several dozen times without remembering to turn one in. Then I read the reminder the night they monkey wrencht he thing shut.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Can we not make the button PAX sign a secret this time? Like have a giant sign saying "turn in buttons here." My stupid ass walked by Red Halo's desk several dozen times without remembering to turn one in. Then I read the reminder the night they monkey wrencht he thing shut.

It was secret for a reason

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So that PikaPuff wouldn't remember and forget to submit his button :(

Yeah, I know it was secret for a reason, so this year I think they'll be expecting it, so no need for secrecy this year yes no maybe?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    MetaverseNomadMetaverseNomad Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So that PikaPuff wouldn't remember and forget to submit his button :(

Yeah, I know it was secret for a reason, so this year I think they'll be expecting it, so no need for secrecy this year yes no maybe?

If we did that again this year, we'd probably need a life-size Fallout 3 statue to pin them all on. Even that might not have enough surface area..

MetaverseNomad on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The button case was more the assistance of others such as LordThanda, Recruit, and BigRed. I personally don't have the logistical ability to pull that off on my own. So unless someone else wants to push forward with a great charitable idea then I don't think we'll have another case this year.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I'll just have to settle with "accidentally" running into Nomad all throughout PAX instead.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    ...Or follow the Cookie Brigade kids...

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jonxp wrote: »
    Despite the other 58,000 people there, find fellow buttoneers during PAX itself was remarkably common. Especially in the line room and near the BYOC area (We should just turn that spot in front of BYOC into the forumer lounge), but I ran in to people EVERYWHERE. Even in the hotel elevators.

This. Most remarkably this. I wasn't even involved, but a few people approached me because I had buttons on my messenger bag for a friend's website. This is what actually got me interested in joining the forums and wanting to be part of the button exchange for '09.

Though, that area in-front of the BYOC wasn't terribly large, and only had some tables. That area also would get packed when people wanted to go to the BYOC and PC Freeplay area. At least, it was that way on Friday night around 6. It might work well though, depending on what type of stuff would be in the skywalk this time.

This is what the group I was with (and the people that I'll be spending most of my time with this upcoming year, though I'd still like to meet/hangout with some of the people here) did, and we'll probably be doing it again this year. Because one of the forum admins had contact with the sumo people, we were able to get a special set in a specific area that were colored to match the forum colors. Oddly enough, pretty much all of the Sumos were colored in the forum colors (red, black and gray), so really, all of the Sumos were "ours," as we kept joking every time we'd walk by the handheld lounges.

Having a meetup in a hotel lobby or bar would probably be a bad idea, as evidenced by the mass of people in the Sheraton, and the fact that it would be Sunday in the early evening. Hopefully there can be something done while people are waiting in line for the concert wristbands (how I found out) or a lounge area in the convention hall.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I meant utilizing a corner of a Sumo lounge as an all-weekend meetup point. In other words, if you want to take a break from all the madness and trade some buttons, there would be a designated location to find other buttoneers. The after-PAX meetup will need to be somewhere outside of PAX (since we'll all be getting shuffled out), but not in a hotel lobby, since they can't seem to handle the sheer mass of buttons.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hmm... how about this year, instead of a case, we make it like a large PAX quilt (Well, maybe not large by quilt standards... it probably wouldn't have to be more than 3' x 2' or so I'm betting) that we pin the buttons onto? It'll be a bit more portable for all involved (portable for us, portable for them), and it could possibly be something we make ourselves!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AzazelAzazel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If we did that VT I would just run up and steal all your buttons

Azazel on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does this mean Cuzza will be wearing a button cape this year?

Blain on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    lol Az =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Button Vest. It's not just an attractive way to hold your buttons, it will thwart bear attacks.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    RaymanRayman Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    And somehow I have TWO buttons in the case!! Check out the pic and see. I have another classic gaming idea that I think peeps who have played games for a long time will completely enjoy!!

Rayman on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    shaking fist so hard

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have a small metallic briefcase with a few layers of felt, perfect for my personal buttonings collection.

Now all I have to do is remember to bring the friggin buttons this year.

As for the display, since the PA people are aware of the buttons I agree we should have a space set aside that's easy to find. As for what shape the display should be in, I'm stumped. Felt makes sense, but big flashy displays and designs are cool. Instead of vests, what if we made them entire three piece button suits.

Pointy, pointy suits.

AltDelete on
  • Options
    emorimikuemorimiku Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I kinda like the button suit idea but would we use them to hold our buttons or to show the buttons we've already gained?

emorimiku on
    <emorimiku> j0z1e ... physically emotionally or mentally?
    <j0z1e> ummmm, all three? at once?
  • Options
    AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I figure the wait to do it is find out the measurements of both Tycho and Gabe (by asking someone in the know, friends, family, telekenisis, something) and buy a pair of cheap suits (Goodwill, Thrift Store) clean them up nicely, and bring them to the show.

We would have a place at the show where people could drop off buttons, buttons that would be taken back to a hotel room and secretly attached to the suits. Considering the number of buttons obtained last year, we should have no trouble filling up a pair of suits.

In addition, we would have a number of accessories (vests, hats, ties, boxer-briefs) that could be added to the ensemble if / once the suits are completely covered in button.

It might be a good idea to sew a layer of cloth over the pants and shirt, as to avoid poking in places that don't need to be poked. The cloth won't show (what with all the buttons on it) and my ladyfriend is a seamstress more than up to the task.

AltDelete on
  • Options
    leeesherleeesher Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

i do not approve of your avatar, sir.

IMG_2772.jpg

leeesher on
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not this flame war again.

Blain on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got my button design for this year :D

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    BigRed wrote: »
    I got my button design for this year :D

Sharing is caring. Lets see it. :P

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    redhalo, when will you be making the official button exchange thread?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2009
    redhalo, when will you be making the official button exchange thread?

I figured when registration starts, that should be when the flood gates open on new people in here. I'm still working on some finishing touches on the registration site as well, though I could push for sooner if you feel it's necessary.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I just figured it was about time considering all the attention this thread as gotten so far.

So there's a registration site this year?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.