As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alvin [Chat]ig has a son today

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    Man I've been kicked in the balls a few times, and I've had other things kicked into my balls countless times.

Mostly soccer balls, footballs, basketballs, those little plastic balls you use in street hockey, and maybe even a baseball or two.

Your kids will be very good at ball games.

Till they come down with inherited ball trauma cancer.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Man I've been kicked in the balls a few times, and I've had other things kicked into my balls countless times.

Mostly soccer balls, footballs, basketballs, those little plastic balls you use in street hockey, and maybe even a baseball or two.

Your kids will be very good at ball games.

Till they come down with inherited ball trauma cancer.

Lamarckist. :P

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2008
    Man so I finally separated from Wachovia.

Thank God. I seriously feel... I feel so much better about everything right now.

Organichu on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find myself craving games with hardcore freedom of choice. Preferably either insanely replayable, or with some kind of deathmatchy mode so I don't get bored as readily.

Any ideas?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    I find myself craving games with hardcore freedom of choice. Preferably either insanely replayable, or with some kind of deathmatchy mode so I don't get bored as readily.

Any ideas?

Dwarven Fortress? Nethack?

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Any ideas?

Dwarf Fortress.
    Fallout 2.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Any ideas?

Not a fan of roguelikes, sadly. Plus, I'm more in the mood to shoot stuff than to stab stuff. :(

Bonus points if the game makes it easily for me to just do whatever the hell I want once I've earned stuff the right way, such as with being able to choose the guns I start with by unlocking them or something.

yalborap on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Organichu wrote: »

Thank God. I seriously feel... I feel so much better about everything right now.

Why does this remind me of the Balkans?

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Any ideas?

Not a fan of roguelikes, sadly. Plus, I'm more in the mood to shoot stuff than to stab stuff. :(

Bonus points if the game makes it easily for me to just do whatever the hell I want once I've earned stuff the right way, such as with being able to choose the guns I start with by unlocking them or something.

So, Cod4 or BF2

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Any ideas?

So, Cod4 or BF2

Issues: CoD4 only does that in multiplayer, and...Well, actually, I can't think of any reason BF2 wouldn't work, since I haven't played it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    If you're craving shooters say shooters. :P

I was about to suggest The Sims

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Elldren wrote: »

Sorry.

Paradoxically, I'm more of a console gamer than a PC dude, so if a game has a console port or is made for consoles, that is far better than needing to rig something together to play a PC title.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Issues: CoD4 only does that in multiplayer, and...Well, actually, I can't think of any reason BF2 wouldn't work, since I haven't played it.

I think BF2 has a single player. Don't know why you would ever play it though. What is wrong with multiplayer? Why would you ever want to play single player on a shooter?

If you want to play single player shooters HL1 is only 98 cents on steam right now.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Oh come, I can make it on my own.

Say, know where I can find some cheap, second hand armaments with which to wage a plethora of religious and land based territorial conflicts?

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Sorry.

Paradoxically, I'm more of a console gamer than a PC dude, so if a game has a console port or is made for consoles, that is far better than needing to rig something together to play a PC title.

The only benefit to console is that everyone is on an even hardware platform. Nobody is getting a boost because they are rich and can afford 2 500$ video cards. Control and aim is better on pc.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I think BF2 has a single player. Don't know why you would ever play it though. What is wrong with multiplayer? Why would you ever want to play single player on a shooter?

If you want to play single player shooters HL1 is only 98 cents on steam right now.

Because I hate my fellow man.

Also, more importantly, my tastes wax and wane. I avoid multiplayer with actual humans(bots are okay) because everybody else's tastes DON'T. Which means they kick my goddamned ass. Especially when the game's kind of old.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Sorry.

The only benefit to console is that everyone is on an even hardware platform. Nobody is getting a boost because they are rich and can afford 2 500$ video cards. Control and aim is better on pc.

You know what, dude, I have my preferences. I LIKE playing them on consoles more than on computers. If you have a problem with that, you don't have to help me.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Because I hate my fellow man.

Then what better way to express it than by shooting them in the face?

Also, if you play BF2 you could just toss around engineer satchels and blow at least a few people up.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Sorry.

You know what, dude, I have my preferences. I LIKE playing them on consoles more than on computers. If you have a problem with that, you don't have to help me.

You know what, dude, I have my preferences. And sometimes I state them with reasons in internet chats without malicious intent. If you have a problem with that, you don't have to chat with me.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    a fight

a fight

a black guy

and a white

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Sorry.

You know what, dude, I have my preferences. And sometimes I state them with reasons in internet chats without malicious intent. If you have a problem with that, you don't have to chat with me.

You're right, I'm sorry. I was the one at fault. I'll go sit in the corner or put the dunce cap on or something.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Sorry.

The Sims has a PS2 port, I know.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Man that fight ended quick. What a drag.

*sulks off*

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    James I thought of you today at work. Some really cool dude traded in tons of games (I support my 'cool' hypothesis with this: while processing his 41 games we chatted and he seemed quite cool) and for some reason I thought: "hey this guy looks just like what I expect James to look like."

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Oh come, I can make it on my own.

Say, know where I can find some cheap, second hand armaments with which to wage a plethora of religious and land based territorial conflicts?

One might try the Balkans.

But seriously, my mind read Wachovia, but my mind thought Wallachia, and I was confused for a while as to why an American bank reminded me of the Balkans.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    You're right, I'm sorry. I was the one at fault. I'll go sit in the corner or put the dunce cap on or something.

S'alright. Just sayin its expected that in the debate forum there may be some debate about what is better than another thing.
    Organichu wrote:
    a fight

a fight

a black guy

and a white

What about the asian?

And what about Naomi?

JebusUD on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    James I thought of you today at work. Some really cool dude traded in tons of games (I support my 'cool' hypothesis with this: while processing his 41 games we chatted and he seemed quite cool) and for some reason I thought: "hey this guy looks just like what I expect James to look like."

Not enough makeup. :P

Haphazard on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Any game that is meant to utilize a joystick is meant for a console. Just about any platformer ever is meant for a modern console. Know why?

Keyboards are binary, analog. They are on or off. It is fucking stupidly difficult to accurately judge in-air movement or any sort of platform movement when your only movement options are ON or OFF.

Joysticks allow much better precision in that regard.

And that "even hardware footing" is not to be underestimated. Although Micorsoft when and fucked all that up by making the harddrive optional. So no game developers have to choose between making a game that doesn't use it silly or making a game that alienates all the players who don't have a harddrive dick move

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

41 games? Somebody got married, oh-ho!

So what do you expect that I look like?

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Really other than RTS games I have never found a genre I enjoyed more on PC than on a console. I mean, I'm not a 'serious player' in these arguments, don't get me wrong, I'm not a big gamer in the first place. The 360 controller just feels perfect, to me. A mouse feels ridiculously awkward and imprecise in comparison, to me.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Can I go out on a limb here and say "Peter Fonda"?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Oi, that was a one time... two time thing!

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Really other than RTS games I have never found a genre I enjoyed more on PC than on a console. I mean, I'm not a 'serious player' in these arguments, don't get me wrong, I'm not a big gamer in the first place. The 360 controller just feels perfect, to me. A mouse feels ridiculously awkward and imprecise in comparison, to me.

Well, I take it seriously in a light-hearted kind of way.

I'm studying/working to be a video game programmer, with aspirations to participate in the design of video games one day.

I take it all rather seriously.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

This guy was a 6' white guy with somewhat shaggy brown hair. I probably just made a goofy mental leap from your avatar.

Yeah it was cool too because he had such a steady progression. His games were very easily 'trackable' and not all over the place- about 30 oXbox games, 10-11 360 games. All really good games in fairly tight genre niches. I was like: "man you didn't receive any of these as gifts did you?"

His total was like $193 in credit, then he bought three new games and there went his $193.

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Any game that is meant to utilize a joystick is meant for a console. Just about any platformer ever is meant for a modern console. Know why?

Word. For shooters though ive always just felt more comfortable with computers. I feel that I can fine tune the aim and control the movement much better.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Can I go out on a limb here and say "Peter Fonda"?

You are false my little gerbilly friend.

James on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I find some RPG style games to work much better. I mean, WoW would just be unworkable on console.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

This guy was a 6' white guy with somewhat shaggy brown hair. I probably just made a goofy mental leap from your avatar.

Yeah it was cool too because he had such a steady progression. His games were very easily 'trackable' and not all over the place- about 30 oXbox games, 10-11 360 games. All really good games in fairly tight genre niches. I was like: "man you didn't receive any of these as gifts did you?"

His total was like $193 in credit, then he bought three new games and there went his $193.
    Moral of the story: never sell to Gamestop. 41 games for three? Ouch. It almost doesn't matter what 41 games and what three games, that's just... wow.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah, with shooter's it's different. First Person is something much better suited to a mouse.

Halo's success was almost solely because of how tight and great the controls were. The dialog and characters were over the top and generic "imprint badass here."

But that level of shine on the controls made the multiplayer as fun as it was, and probably singlehandedly launched the Xbox into stardom.

All because someone got FPS controls on a console pretty tight.

And yet FPSs are still better on a PC. I even liked Shadowrun and thought it did that fairly well.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Oi, that was a one time... two time thing!

And you looked dashingly good.

Haphazard on
This discussion has been closed.