As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Networking - My Shit is Wack! - NOW WITH VIDEO!

powersspowerss Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Okay, so about 5 days ago (when new neighbors moved in... more on that later) my Comcast connection when to shit. My Cable internet, which I'm paying for the high-speed 8MB (extra surcharge) was giving me... oh, 500kb (yes, kb - not KB) /sec. Speedtest was showing 400ms ping to a server 20 miles from me, and dysmal speeds. It was highly erratic as well - sometimes I'd get high speeds (but never anywhere 8MB) and sometimes I'd have website timeouts and the dreaded Mac Network 304 error.

Anyway, let me give you an idea about my network:

Cable Modem > D-Link DIR-615 Router > WiFi Only:

Connected Typically to the Network (least load)

- 2 TiVos
- iMac
- iMac
- Xbox 360

Max Load:

- 2 TiVos
- iMac
- iMac
- Macbook
- MacBook Pro
- Xbox 360
- 2 iPhones

Now, my network was working fine-and-fucking dandy until some new neighbors moved in, the cocks (not that I'm blaming them yet)

ANYWAY - I call Comcast, and a tech comes out. He runs some tests (after I show results from Speedtest.net that are abysmal) and he then proceeds to ping yahoo.com from his wintel laptop connected directly to the cable modem, and shows that the responses are okay (20ms-45ms) - fine, but not a bandwidth test.

He does something with a handheld unit and says "hmm" and proceeds to replace every split and filter in/on my house.

We re-run the test - all better now. I have a feeling the tech that hooked up my neighbor fucked everyone else, but that's just me. ANYWAY, after he left I was like "sweet, I can get some fucking work done! yay!" - I'm a web designer/developer.

I sit down at my iMac (new iMac) and start browsing. What the fuck, CNN loads halfway and sits there (Safari) - and again... and again. I launch my Xbox and the NXE takes 10 fucking minutes to load (!) - I enable Netflix streaming and I get 1 bar - shit picture - and it stutters.

Now, I noticed when my neighbor's moved in a new WiFi Network popped up - called "Homer" - unlocked. I tried to connect to it to see if the connection was better, if they were Comcast as well, but I can't.

Anyway, thoughts/advice are appreciated. I can't deal with this kind of bad connectivity.

I'm willing to replace my router, and I can spend up to $500. Is there something just epic, professional-grade that will knock everyone's shit back?

powerss on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Here's a speed test:

359064653.png

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    And another:

359065129.png

powerss on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Uh... the first speed test reads 5500 kb/s. That's 5.5 Mb/s. The second one reads 7.6 Mb/s.

I guess you're not quite getting the 8 Mb/s you're paying for, but these speeds are not abysmal by any stretch of the imagination. Seems like the technician did fix your problem ;-)

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    It's not my bandwidth, sorry - it's that I'm getting lag/bad connectivity (not dropping the wifi signal, but websites not responding) timeouts, dropped packets, etc.

powerss on
  • Options
    TechBoyTechBoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have you spent some time just wired into the router through ethernet?

If there's no issues when you do that, then its probably a wireless conflict and a router update may be called for. If the issues are still there then your beef is still with Comcast.

I also had pretty crappy internet from Time Warner when I first moved into my apartment. Turns out the issue was the cable modem. It was an old beat up POS that the tech replaced with a newer one. Problem solved.

TechBoy on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1. Is your wireless secured?
    2. Try connecting with wired/ethernet to see if it works better
    3. Switch the channel your router is using for wireless to 11 or 1 (or anything else that doesn't have other networks clogging it)

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    3. Switch the channel your router is using for wireless to 11 or 1 (or anything else that doesn't have other networks clogging it)

Do these.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yah dude, just run straight up for a while, see of you still have issues when hardwired. Macs can do some really interesting things to modems and routers. I've dealt with a few macbooks that, when accessing the admin to a specific kind of wireless router, turn the whole unit into a useless lump of slag.

There is no documented reason why this occurs, but it sure as fuck does.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Probably the people who moved in have their Wifi on default channel 6 and you have your wifi on default channel 6. Change your channel.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Do these.

Yes. Do these.

Also, in the OP, you said you're paying for 8MB/s down... and I'm sure it was a typo, but you're paying for "up to 8 Mb/s down." You will never, ever, get the full 8 Mb/s down because cable companies hate their customers and fucking us is what they do.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you torrenting?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Try bypassing the router completely and see if you have the issues. It sounds like that's what the tech did and didn't have any problems.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Not actively, no... meaning, the last thing I downloaded from a torrent was an episode of Entourage about 3 weeks ago becuase my Comcast connection went to shit when my TiVo kicked in.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Let me know if problems persist after bypassing your router. If so I have a few more steps you can take.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah your up and down are astronomical.

Also note, that 8 MB/sec are estimated throughputs at no load.

Take 35% of that on a normal load and you'll have what you'll get normally. (Roughly 5.2)

You'll also be surprised to find that there might be a faster connection to say Dallas, than there is to a data center 20 miles up the road. Mainly because the one to Dallas probably has 2 hops and is on an OCXXXXXSUPERFAST line and the one 20 miles up the road has to hop through 50 routers and residential networks to reach it's destination.

For instance, I get a ~60ms ping to NYC (I'm in central NY).
    When I do the same test to Dallas, TX I get a ~20ms ping

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    DeShadow: Gonna try that in a few... I will update the thread accordingly.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I also get a lot of these (pages fail to load or pieces of pages fail to load: kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 302)

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    302 means the content has been moved/redirected.

You might be having DNS errors.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Try manually entering your DNS servers. I had to do this with a router I had that was dying.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah, hardcoded DNS servers are the way to be if you can grab them from your provider.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ARRRGGGG. It's back again.

Here's a video of the problem I uploaded to Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/2302811

I changed my DNS servers to OpenDNS.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Did it happen when you bypassed your router?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Trying that now.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Shit, the problem is gone now. ARG.... how can I test this?

I want to I think get a new router, and somehow jam everyone elses.

Just kidding. How about this, guys? http://www.bountifulwifi.com/

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Did the problem stop after bypassing the router?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nope, just stopped on its own. Now I think it's back though... checking.

powerss on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, it's back again. Fuck.

Someone on twitter said it's a DNS problem... really?

powerss on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Since they all are slow as hell to start downloading, and then seem to catch up just fine, it's definitely a possible culprit.

If it takes several seconds to resolve the domain name to an IP, it will sit there doing nothing and then when it finally has an IP to talk to it downloads everything just fine it seems.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Try using the Comcast DNS servers. That pretty much solved all of my problems when I was having the same issue.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Hrm. Now I'm thinking it's directly isolated to my iMac. I can't prove it yet, but... seems that way. When my Mac was terrible, I opened up my new Macbook Pro and it worked fine... then works fine on here...

Router? Settings on my Mac?

My Macbook Pro is a direct time-machine clone of my iMac... UGH.

I'm just wondering if I should pay a guy on Craigslist to put ethernet jacks in the house.

powerss on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd (echoing a few others) go with DNS weirdness. Especially when it came to the Macs. For whatever reason, the newer Intel iMacs love to have their DNS settings put in manually. Not sure why, but even Apple's server training folks say that most OS X Server issues usually end up being improper DNS setups.

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    primary 68.87.74.162
    secondary 68.87.68.162

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    NatsusNatsus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe I missed it, but did you bypass the router at all? Your reply was a bit vague and could mean that the problem disappeared and came back while on the router. Please confirm whether bypassing the router works or not.

Natsus on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also was the problem only occuring on wireless connections or was it wired as well?

Ruckus on